Eva-02's new design in Rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Eva-02's new design in Rebuild

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:28 pm

http://evageeks.org/2008/11/new-evangelion-unit-02-designs/

Thanks AchtungAffen for the info

Discuss.
Last edited by Ornette on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby majlund » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:53 pm

Whoah! I'm... I'm speechless.
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:01 pm

Once again, too much gattai.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Craziness. Not sure if I want. It's interesting though.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:08 pm

hell's bells, actual news!

:boingy:

looks like the four month long dry spell we've been in may be over

well....if it DID have to have horns, I'm happy they didn't just stick antennae on it (which is what the trailer made it look like) but just sort of "extended the nose armor"

as for the proportions, yes: the chest is noticeably thinner, not simply in proportion, but to the naked eye the armor plates look clipped: they stop and don't come to a point;

is it just an optical illusion caused by the different paint job on the abdomen, or is the abdomen noticeably longer now? (as it seemed for "Eva-06"?)

Eva-00 and Eva-01 were really just slight repaints.

This does seem somewhat of a departure.

Newtype December, eh?

well maybe the eyespacing is different just because of this one angle we're seeing it from; still, while the head does seem more "elongated", it's a lot better than the End of Eva design tweaks

what does "gattai" mean?

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Craziness. Not sure if I want. It's interesting though.

Madness?! *This* *IS....
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:15 pm

not a fan of the thin head... horns more to the side would have helped this.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:52 pm

V wrote:
Madness?! *This* *IS....

...Athens, birthplace of democracy, philosophy, and pederasty. :wink:

On topic: I like the new design. It fits Asuka's personality perfectly.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:41 pm

I like everything about it, except for the horns.

I have provided a screenshot, and in the shot the horns looks smaller and more insect-like.

REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:47 pm

Its the lighting and the effect of the eyes. The two pictures are actually consistent with each other. The only difference is the color of the horns: in the screen in the OP, they are colored yellow, in that screenshot they are colored red.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:17 pm

Aside from the horns and alterations to the paint scheme (the waist band, etc.), Eva-02 in Rebuild is nothing we didn't already see in EoE.

I'm preparing some images to show what I mean, but it's taking longer than I thought, so meantime I'll leave you with these to contemplate. (While not screenshots, both represent appearances that she takes on in the actual film. Depending on who's animating a given cut.)

http://www.evacommentary.org/images_production/eva02_design_eoe.gif
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_illos/honda_ubf.jpg

The bit about TTGL in the news blurb needs to go -- it's rather misleading.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:10 pm

Reichu wrote:Aside from the horns and alterations to the paint scheme (the waist band, etc.), Eva-02 in Rebuild is nothing we didn't already see in EoE.

Iie, chigau! There's another group of four nostril holes in the middle of the Eva's face, between the eyes.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:18 pm

So is this TV commerical on Youtube?

As for the Horns, they're interesting. I have to see them in motion before I critique them and I'd be a huge hypocrite to after saying I wish for drastic change in Rebuild to say "Do Not Want".

So is this NewType issue going to talk about the two new Evas as well?

And based on the coloring- is Unit 02 more maroon and less bright red?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:23 pm

No, it's on nicovideo.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/nm5122045

You need to register, so here's a site with some registration help.
http://thenextweb.org/2008/01/15/how-to-register-for-japanese-video-site-nico-nico-douga/
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:52 pm

Could someone upload said video to say Youtube or something?
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Gendo's Papa wrote:And based on the coloring- is Unit 02 more maroon and less bright red?

The lighting in the new illustration makes the armor look darker than it would normally. (Look at the white sections for a point of reference.)

Observations list:

- Basic head design is in accordance with "Bizarro Eva-02" (REGK)* from EoE. (Discernible from 1.0 trailer.)

- Body proportions follow the Eva "gekijouban" formula we've seen in EoE and 1.0. (Also seen in trailer.) I.e., "Man in Suit Syndrome". The differences in the body armor, compared to the TV design, compensate for the modified torso shape.
- Addition of horns. While these were also observed in the trailer, the ones in the newly-released illustration are more prominent and ... comically curvy. All we need now are a spaded tail and forked tongue.
- The entire forehead section of the helmet is orange-red now. Previously, its ventral side was red, and upper side a lighter red.

Image Image

(Although some images, like this one of Bizarro Eva-02, seem to depict the entire section as being lighter than the rest of the helmet. It's so subtle, though, that Rebuild appears to be making a change any which way.)

- Pylons' base color is now black, with red "trim". Originally they were all red, save for a gold triangle at the top of each pylon.
- Four additional nostril holes added between the lower set of eyes, for a grand total of eight. (...one set of nostrils for each set of eyes, or what?)
- Eva-02 gets a "waist band" in accordance with the new Eva coloration motif -- in her case, white. (We already knew this from the preview in 1.0. Well, sort of. A band is just barely visible on the DVD, and more than likely much more obvious in the theatre. It's not quite in the right place, though. :p Here's hoping they fix that.)
- The polygonal sections on the deltoids are now red and white around a black center. (They were plain black in NGE. Except in detailed images, wherein "EVA-2" got written inside.)
- The material covering the arms appears to be white below the black stripe, as opposed to gold.

I wouldn't read too much in the way the torso plates themselves are drawn, in terms of how sharp the "V"s are, or the depth of the ridges, or whatever it is that's bothering people. The armor is typically simplified in the actual animation, but you'll often see the various artists give it greater definition and detail in illustrations. There is a vast amount of possible stylistic variation, as well; the next released illustration of Eva-02 could easily look different simply on account of being drawn by a different person.

* Eva-02's head does in general look different in EoE, with the horizontal squashing and all, although a handful of cuts take it in a distinctly different stylistic direction. That is to say, there's "evil gekijouban Kyoko", and then there's "REALLY evil gekijouban Kyoko". Compare:

And this cut again (the first appearance of the bizarro head chronologically, and the best-drawn it ever gets).
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bluespade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bluespade » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:50 am

Oh hell no. Do not want.
And I actually LIKED the Unit 01 redesign...

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:27 am

looks awesome... me wants more

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:27 am

What's that hand grabbing it by thew waist? It looks like an Eva's hand... but much bigger. Or just a thumb.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:58 am

Well, folks, here's what we all knew NEEDED to be done.

I might do more with it later. Depends.

And yes, Dartz. That is a thumb.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:55 am

It's a bloody big one. Make's me wonder what could be big enough to try Grab Unit 02 around the waist like a child grabbing an Action Man. I thought it might've been Sandalphon or something, because the background looks a bit like a volcano, but the hand looks armoured...
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”