Moral Orel

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

devil_eAter
Embryo

Moral Orel

•      
  •      

Postby devil_eAter » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Has anyone watched this show? I have been watching it lately. The first time I tryed watching it it was somewhat boring, but it seem to be becoming a rather interesting show. I loved the Nature episodes at the end of season 2 as well the new episode Numb. The camera shot at the beginning and end along with the animation and song No Children flowed perfectly together.

Any opinions?
Fred Phelps sucks....

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:14 pm

it gets better if you actually watch the whole thing

it actually has an overarcing storyline

that is to say, at first it seems like a commpletely "amoral" shock story like Aqua Teen Hunger Force (in the early MO episodes)

but as you go along, the theme of the series is Orel's dawning realization of the faults in the ultraconservative society around him and his own father in particular.

That is, for a season and a half Orel has blind faith in Moralton and the abusive decisions of his father, but slowly he starts to do things his father and church don't agree with.

It starts off with little things like, he meets a girl whose family uses "debts" instead of "trespasses" in the Lord's Prayer (prompting Orel's father to brand them heretics and they leave) and in private he uses "debts" with her when they pray anyway. But then he moves on to realizing that the girl who works in the town's sex toy shop is actually a nicer person (if nonconormative) than most of the townspeople, including the realization that she's given him better "motherly advice" than his own mom has.

Later, this comes to the point that Orel uses Buddhist meditation to relieve stress even when his father expressly forbids him to, and indeed by the end of the episode this isn't wrapped up; he keeps doing this in private and he hasn't reverted to his old line of thinking.

Finally, we get the disasterous events of "Nature, parts 1 and 2", which really don't have the same impact if you haven't been watching the show from the beginning: Orel is forced to confront that his father is an arrogant domineering hypocrit with a drinking problem that makes him disturbingly violent, and that simply: he used to think of his father as almost as unquestionable as God, but over the slow course of 2 seasons he gradually loses all faith in him.

I didn't like it when it came out, but that's because they aired it out of order originally. Season 2 built so much on the first season.

But its not just a vicious parody: Orel has real emotions and they build him up as a real character over time. I mean its sad that, like every child, he automatically loves his parents unconditionally; even when he realizes that (much to his confusion) they are capable of faults, he's still willing to overlook it, but then gradually we get to "Nature" when he realizes that he downright hates his father (or the person his father has become when he drinks).

I mean the part for me where Orel turned into a real "character" is....the season one finale was that his father was having a homosexual affair with his gym teacher, and utterly neglecting his mother etc. But when season two starts, we see Orel's father explaining to him that his parents have decided not to get a divorce, but -- and he cheerfully explains this -- "mostly because we want to keep up appearances and that's important" (i.e. he doesn't care about what happened and they haven't fixed it at all, they're just more concerned with faking a happy marriage)..

...and Orel quitely says that "I prayed you two would get back together"...and his father just shrugs it off and ignores him.

Really, I get the impression bad things are on the way for Orel in season 3; I seriously thought this was an episodic show but its really moving towards something.
It's a lot like how Shinji slowly realizes he hates Gendo. I mean really hates him and doesn't need his approval.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:27 pm

I've seen it sporatically but didn't realize i was missing out on something. Wow... much more interesting than i gave it credit for. I may have to rewatch this one.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Bastard King
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:24 pm

Uh... I like it because it made me laugh?
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

devil_eAter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby devil_eAter » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:35 pm

LOL
So do I, but it was the darkness and how it was placed behind that humor that truly fascinated me. Yes, I need to watch more as well. I have not seen a lot of it being when I saw it begin I thought it was rather bland. I just didn't think it was funny like stuff like Aqua Teen Hunger Force, but I began to like it for different reasons.

The part where Orel did crack was hilarious.
:clap:
Fred Phelps sucks....

Iron Rooster
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:01 pm

The characters around Orel seem like a melon rotting from the inside out. On the outside it's really nice, but when you cut it open it's rotten almost to the surface. Oddly enough, I don't think the show is an "abomination" to Christianity. In fact, some things they make fun of could be stuff they could learn from.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Iron Rooster wrote:The characters around Orel seem like a melon rotting from the inside out. On the outside it's really nice, but when you cut it open it's rotten almost to the surface. Oddly enough, I don't think the show is an "abomination" to Christianity. In fact, some things they make fun of could be stuff they could learn from.

oh yeah the show isn't "making fun of Christianity" so much as making fun of hypocritical fundamentalists: the bad adults of Moralton aren't really depicted as even being "good Christians"

Orel himself isn't depicted as bad for believing in God, and he basically believes in the "essence" of Christianity...er.....basically as an innocent child he points out what are logical fallacies about the "religious" people around him i.e. why are we resorting to violence against people who are different from us, isn't that unChristian? At which point his father will come up with a hypocritical, convoluted explanation of how it IS, in fact, perfectly Christian and moral to do so.

It's not so much that the adults are "Christians"; they could be Satanists so long as they were honest about it; the point of the show is that they're a bunch of hypocrits who don't follow the moral code they pay lip service to.

Orel, meanwhile, is left confused by all of their hypocritical explanations -- such as the "Lost 12th Commandment" which literally says "Masturbation is wrong, and Sex is to be done for procreation, positioned face to face, man on top; all other positions are sin" (his father has this mounted in his bedroom)

and at the end of every episode he is still left confused (i.e. he subconsciously recognizes that due to the logical fallacies, his parents' hypocritical positions don't make sense) but is told that he just doesn't understand because he is a child

but the last few episodes were amazing in season 2, as we slowly see Orel breaking through this shell and coming to the earth-shattering realization that "my parents can be wrong about things, particularly things to do with how they hypocritically practice religion"

But as for being an "abomination to Christianity" or something: the people in Moralton are presented as true "Bible Belt Fanatics" of the worst sort, who are prejudiced against even Catholics or several of the major Protestant denominations. If anything, the series shows Orel as a "good Christian" who actually understands the moral lessons of bible stories which his parents have utterly twisted in order to prop up their hypocritical and intolerant regime.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Return to “Film and Video”