(Third Annual) Lilim Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Avatar of Dreams wrote:I too thought it was a joke (either that or someone hijacked your account and posted that). :)

Joke or not, you guys should have at least mentioned it! Could have gotten an Award out of the whole thing...

To pass the time, I'd like to start a discussion as to the timing of the Lilim Design Contest. I've had lots of complaints about this before: that it's too far into the middle of the school year and all.

I'd like to know everyone's feelings towards moving the season for this Contest. One idea that I have been toying with is to have the LDC run concurrently with the Angel Design Contest. It would be a pain in the ass to plan and make two sets of Designs and Awards in such a short period of time, but it might work for some people. Ideas?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 am

Running both at the same time doesn't sound too bad, as long as we care to keep them separate. The advantage is that we can shift around the schedule to cover any delays. If we can't have a new Angel, we have a new Lilin.

As far as late submissions are concerned, I think you should present entries that you've already received first and then move on to the late submissions, rather than stick to a fixed schedule that keeps having to be redone with each delay.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Chowwow wrote:It would be a pain in the ass to plan and make two sets of Designs and Awards in such a short period of time, but it might work for some people.

You can always get an assistant. I'm sure one or more of us is willing to help.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm not wild about that idea because it makes it harder for someone to compete in both at the same time. People are apparently already struggling with the modest time commitment of just one, so why push it?

I don't see anything wrong with the contest that can't be fixed by more people getting involved, so again I think the only really meaningful feedback can come from those who didn't participate.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:04 pm

Is the wider forum even aware of this, or care? The only people who seem to comment are those few of us who who have already participated.
[/opinion]

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am

Formless One wrote:Is the wider forum even aware of this, or care? The only people who seem to comment are those few of us who who have already participated.

I suppose I have to start an advertising campaign for these Contests now. The real question is to what avenues I should start advertising...

Part of me is starting to think that the LDC should be dropped entirely since it seems to me that this Contest is much less popular than its older sibling, the ADC. That would be a shame though, since seeing new Characters have been very cool to see.

A friend of mine suggested a new idea for a Contest: the Evangelion Design Contest. The name says it all: design an Eva and do what you want with it. I want to know what everyone thinks of this idea and if this would fly.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 am

An EDC would be pretty cool, actually. I mean, we've done Angels and Lilin, so why not Evas?
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Now that's an idea. We could come up with som the Eva's special armaments, defensive systems, and aesthetic decorations. My artistic skills arn't the best, but I could probably just photoshop an existing Eva to match my design.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:50 pm

After more consideration, I think the idea of running just one contest with multiple categories might be a good idea. Maybe even a category for gun/weapon/tech geeks?
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Avatar of Dreams » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 pm

EDC sounds good to me.

One suggestion I have though is to shorten the registration period. I know you like to give people a few months to finish their entry but it doesn't look like anyone is using them.
Also it leads to people withdrawing from the contest either because they've forgotten about it or sudden unplanned obligations prevent them from completing their entry.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:14 pm

I would be with you on that AoD... except that it would really crimp my style.

I'm just screwing with ya, I actually don't plan on doing another entry for the contests. No, its time I got to the fiction itself! :wink:

I might still judge, though.
[/opinion]

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 am

Formless One wrote:I'm just screwing with ya, I actually don't plan on doing another entry for the contests. No, its time I got to the fiction itself! :wink:

I might still judge, though.

That's a bit of a shame, but you are right, it's time to get writing on your fic now! And at least you will be Judging, so that is appreciated!

Avatar of Dreams wrote:One suggestion I have though is to shorten the registration period. I know you like to give people a few months to finish their entry but it doesn't look like anyone is using them.
Also it leads to people withdrawing from the contest either because they've forgotten about it or sudden unplanned obligations prevent them from completing their entry.

Agreed. Perhaps we should shorten the whole thing to two months? That sounds like a decent amount of time.

As for the LDC, it seems the winter time seems bad for every one. With the shortening of periods, we can bunch the Contests closer together, perhaps all around the summer.

NemZ wrote:After more consideration, I think the idea of running just one contest with multiple categories might be a good idea. Maybe even a category for gun/weapon/tech geeks?

That sounds like something for the Eva Contest - one aspect of which aught to distinguish it from the other two. That's one of the attractive things to me about the idea. The thing is, I'm not sure if I can keep up the work for all of those things, and I'm not sure about pawning off my work for Awards on others again for the next few Contests. Further, I may not even be submitting one for that Contest either, as I have no ideas for Evas...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:44 am

Chowwow wrote:Further, I may not even be submitting one for that Contest either, as I have no ideas for Evas...

Before rebuild I would have agreed with you... other than paint scheme and head shape, what's to design? With the advent of unit 5, however, all sorts of insane things have become reasonable.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 pm

are ya gunna keep this up this year around winter break or christmas?

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Announcement for Third Lilim Design Contest!

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun May 01, 2011 1:25 am

Back from indefinite hold, I now reinstate this Contest for the enjoyment of all!

The Third Annual Lilim Design Contest is Now Open!

As usual, you will have a little more than three and a half months for this Contest. Do your best work! Check the first page to see the entries and winners of previous Contests!

To remind everyone:
    - You may produce only one Character for this Contest.
    - All Characters are the property of the original Designer(s).
    - A Character may originate from a Designer's pre-existing work and be presented here. As long as the Character has never appeared in this Contest previously and is the original work of the Designer, inspiration can come from anywhere.
    - The final two Awards are given at the end of both the EvADC and LDC.

The Awards available for this Contest are:
    Most Gar: Does your Character burn with manly fury? This prize goes to the Character who proves him/herself as the toughest badass, by demonstrating skills, strengths, and special techniques; as seen in their profile.
    Most Psycho: Your guy’s just a little too violent? Think he/she could give Asuka a run for her money in a fight? Does she reach for the axe when someone spites her, or does she rape neighborhood dogs before eating them? This award goes to the character who displays the greatest, violently psychotic tendencies or expresses stress in the most disturbing or non-conventional ways. Attention will be paid to Character personality descriptions and past actions.
    Most Depressive: Your guy just a little too blue? Think he can out-whine or break-down worse than Shinji on a bad day? Did he lose his Mom, Dad, little sister, best friend and his pet rock all in one day to a killer with a penchant for fishing hooks and razors, and all he got was a cliché t-shirt? This award is given to the Character who is the most emotionally scarred and expresses it in a way that is non-aggressive against others (but possibly suicidal). Attention will be given to Character personality descriptions and past actions.

Fanservice: This award goes to the Character voted most likely to follow through on Misato’s promises of eye candy after every preview of NGE. Attention will be paid to Character descriptions.
    Cutest: Think your Character can compete with Rei? Or Maya? Or Pen-Pen? This award goes to the Character with the cutest traits; as seen either from their illustrations or actions as described in text.
    Quirkiest: Is your Character just a memorable guy? Is there something about him that makes him sparkle with others, even if he doesn’t really do anything important? This prize is given to the Character who just seems endearing and interesting without dragging too many people into his drama. Character histories and personality descriptions will play roles in choosing a winner.

Best Death: This award goes to the character whose fate leads to the most interesting, gruesome or memorable death in the contest.
    Best Job: Is your Character a hot-shot at the work place? Does the Character have a career that nets him/her a lot of glory, influence, or – best yet – sets one of the key building blocks that leads to NGE’s events? This award is presented to the Character with the most interesting job. Back history and personal descriptions are key to earning a nomination for this.
    Worst Job: Is your Character’s job driving him/her insane, more so than otherwise? Not necessarily for janitors or cafeteria workers, this goes to those whose jobs are a significant contributor to their distress, misfortune and misery. Eligibility determination is the same for the Best Job award.

Best Presentation: This award goes out to the Character that was presented to the audience in an attractive and enjoyable format. To make a description of a fictional character enjoyable to read is a praise-worthy talent. Attention will be paid to format, grammar, and use of word play, illustrations or the like.
    Best Design: This award goes to the Character that has the most interesting or attractive psychical design. Whether it is a sexy model or old fart is not the point; it’s the amount of detail and effort that is visible on the skin of the Character that counts. Attention will be paid to illustrations and detailed text descriptions of the Character.
    Best Story: This award is given to the Designer who imbued their Character with the most engrossing, interesting, or memorable story. The progression of events from their past, career, ambitions, and ultimate fate will do well at determining a winner.
    Best in Contest: This is given to the Character who is, overall, the best designed and well-rounded individual in the entire contest. The whole entry will be Judged against all of the others to determine the winner.

Designer of the Year: Designers who entered the Angel Design Contest and this one for the year are eligible for this Award. Merit will be given to how a veteran Designer fared in both Contests overall.
    Most Awards: This Award given last. It is presented to the Designer who received the most number of Awards in this Contest. Given to reward the best winner.

The Schedule:
May 1 (Sunday): Start of contest. Registration and research and development for Designs begins.
August 14 (Sunday): End of registration. Presentations begin the next day.
August 15 – Posting of last Design: Presentation of Characters, one day at a time. Judges and audience view each one and make comments about each Design as they wish.
Day after posting of last Design – Seven days later: Judges deliberate and nominate Characters for Awards.
Day after last day of deliberations: Award ceremony, Awards are presented each day based on central themes until all have been Awarded.
Day after all Awards given: Afterthoughts/Regrets week. Designers discuss their parting thoughts and discussions for future Contests are made.[/list]

This year will be much interesting, as this Contest will now be running concurrently with my other Contest, the EvADC. The Contests will be run separately, with each their own Designer line-ups and Judge pools. Anyone is free to enter either of these Contests as Judges or Designers, separately or at the same time. This new course of action is to take advantage of the time you guys so obviously have, as well as avoid blackout dates between releases within either Contest.

As always, volunteers for the Contest are always helpful. Let me know how you'd like to help.

Registrations begin now! Sign up now!

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sun May 01, 2011 9:22 am

Count me in

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 am

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:Count me in

You are counted!

As of May 3, 2:39 AM EST:

Designers:
    tehprognoob

Judges:
    NemZ

Jeez, need more peeps here...

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Fri May 20, 2011 11:18 pm

I want in too.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Mon May 23, 2011 12:29 am

View Original PostHoly Diver wrote:I want in too.

Get in here, you bastard!

As of May 23, 1:27 AM EST:

Designers:
    tehprognoob
    Holy Diver

Judges:
    NemZ

Holy shiz nit, only two Designers so far? I just might have to make one too just to fill up space!

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Mon May 23, 2011 2:28 pm

I would but I am afraid I am not too terribly reliable Chow. :dejected:
Im bus with lots of other stuffs on the web and RL as well.
Avatar: Utena and Anthy hawtness <3
-----------------------------------------------------------
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: ShinjiSama01
http://shinjisama.wordpress.com/ - Blog
http://otakuno1.deviantart.com/ - Deviant account

Return to “Fan Works”