Are any of you following Ideon?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 pm

As I'm sure you all know, Hideaki Anno has cited Tomino's Space Runaway Ideon as one of the major influences of his work. I'm sure you're all aware that Ideon is currently being fansubbed by the good folks at Shin-Getter Fansubs. I'd would have expected at least some of you to take a look, even if only to see if you can spot the influence. Others of you may be mecha fans in general, and might download it for that reason.

Whatever the reason, I'd hazard a guess that there are at least a few of you watching, and so far, I'd guess you haven't really seen a lot of elements that could be said to have influenced Evangelion, right?

Well, I've had the chance to see the next episode a little early, since I'm timing the subs for it. Prons, if you're reading this, I'm almost done. This is an interesting episode, and it's the most clear example so far of an influence on Evangelion. You'll know it when you see it, and I'd like to know if you agree with me. I'm not going to spoil anything for ya, but I'll be back with screencaps when everyone has had a chance to watch this episode.

So far, there have been little things here and there that indicated that it was an anime which could have insprired and influeneced Anno during the creation of Eva, but nothing so obviously similar as this. I don't mean to imply any kind of a rip-off, or lack of originality either, because the scenes in question are at least as different as they are similar. It's still an interesting correlation, though.

I'll be fascinated to hear all of your thoughts. I don't think there's any real need to post to just tell me that you're not watching Ideon, though, unless you're planning to start soon. I'm really interested in the opinions of those who have seen at least some of the series, and preferably those who are up-to date, and likely to watch this episode.

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 09:56 PM

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Well, you can see some similiarties like SPOILER for Ideon and Evnagelion! (highlight to read): A tragic "everyone becoming one entity" ending, "giant god" robots that are powered with souls, they have extremly powerful barriers, and other similarities

There's also some things that more "eva-educated" people can spot that I can't, but if you look close enough you can see it.

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 10:13 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

That's just in the general sense, though, and in any case, it's only in the recent episodes that we've even begun to learn those things. Specifically, I was referring to this episode because there's something here that is specifically similar. It's also interesting to note that both series take a turn away from physical concerns to more metaphysical issues during the final phase.

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 10:27 PM

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 pm

I've got all the way to 20 (need to get all the currently released eps - Prons, you definitely need batch torrents XD), but I've only watched up to 13. So far, good stuff, although I've yet to make connections to EVA readily (prolly because I watched EVA like...a year ago, perhaps two).

But Ideon's a classic. It's Ideon. I mean, the name alone is fun (and universally imploding) to say. Ideon.

@Prons: No chance of you guys pulling a Nipponsei and putting up the OP single, eh? I found a link to the OP song alone on 4chan, but it was TV size and prolly cut from your subs.

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 10:38 PM

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Treize X wrote:you definitely need batch torrents XD
We HAVE batch torrents.

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 10:46 PM

Tidusauron12 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tidusauron12 [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 pm

^You're part of Shin too?

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 10:48 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Tidusauron12 wrote:You're part of Shin too?
The name of the group is "Shin-Getter", not "Shin". It was named after the classic super robot, and Camille is a founding member. I'm a little more recent, though I consider myself more of an itinerant helper than a member, really. Timing's easy, most people could do it with some practice. It's just time-consuming.

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 10:51 PM

Tidusauron12 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

^I know the title... I'm just too lazy to type getter at the end, lol.

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 10:55 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Tidusauron12 wrote:^I know the title... I'm just too lazy to type getter at the end, lol.
You didn't say, have you been watching? If you haven't, then I'd say that it's not exactly similar to Evangelion overall, but it's got plot elements in it that you'd find familiar.

The torrents (batch and single) are available on AnimeSuki. Normally they'd be available on IRC too, but right at the moment, they are not. Hopefully soon.

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 11:00 PM

Tidusauron12 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Soluzar wrote:You didn't say, have you been watching? If you haven't, then I'd say that it's not exactly similar to Evangelion overall, but it's got plot elements in it that you'd find familiar.

The torrents (batch and single) are available on AnimeSuki. Normally they'd be available on IRC too, but right at the moment, they are not. Hopefully soon.
I'm watching ideon, but I'm on 4 right now. Also, I've seen some later scenes on random internet sites. I can see the relations between the two animes, and they are pretty obvious.

So far, which do you like better?

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 11:03 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Tidusauron12 wrote:So far, which do you like better?
Well, I don't think I could say that I like either one of them more than the other. Evangelion was one of the first mecha series I saw. Mobile Suit Gundam was one of the others, although I didn't see the end until years later. Gundam Wing was the next one, but I don't talk about that. Image

I'm not very good at picking favourites, really. Because of the nostalgia factor, those two shows are kind of my favourites, but for completely different reasons, Gunbuster, Zeta Gundam, and GaoGaiGar are also my favourites. Ideon is a favourite too. The best I could do was to say that those six are my favourites, in no particular order.

I'll explain what I like about each series the best. I'll start with the music. Both OP songs are equally amazing, as far as I'm concerned, but Evangelion takes the prize for music overall. When it comes to the main mecha designs, I'd also have to say that Evangelion wins there as well. I prefer the look of the Evangelions over that of the Giant God.

Where Ideon scores big points for me is the quality of the battle scenes. It's something that Tomino is noted for, and Ideon merely confirms that reputation. They aren't shiny and smooth like the scenes you'd see in Gundam SEED, but they are dynamic and exciting. I also love watching the three Ide-machines dock to form the Giant God. Weaponry is another thing that you've got to love about Ideon. Evangelions always look great, but most of the time, the most they get to use in the way of weapons is a machine gun or a prog knife. I don't wish to spoil anything for those of you who haven't seen the later episodes yet, so I'll keep quiet on the topic of what weaponry the Ideon has, but it's certainly impressive.

When it comes to the story, it's impossible to say which one I like the most, because they aren't really similar in terms of the overall plot. Evangelion is the story of how a young boy eventually managed to find some self-respect, and in the process, saved the world by piloting a giant mecha. Ideon is the story of a band of refugees, fleeing for their lives, with the most powerful weapon in the galaxy. The complexity of Evangelion comes from the ways in which the sci-fi elements of the story allow us to see into the psychological drama inside the mind of the characters, whereas the complexity of Ideon comes from what we discover about the nature of the Ide itself. I haven't yet seen all of Ideon, so I can't comment on how that eventually resolves, but so far I like both stories equally.

Originally posted on: 07.31.2006, 11:42 PM

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Treize X wrote:
@Prons: No chance of you guys pulling a Nipponsei and putting up the OP single, eh? I found a link to the OP song alone on 4chan, but it was TV size and prolly cut from your subs.

We have a thread in our forum with the direct download rapidshare links to the Ideon series, Symphonic and Be Invoked OSTs.

We're workin on the next batch, it should be out tonight, because we don't have our FTP or Bots (Because DeltaAnime just doesn't like me anymore) I was unable to make it myself.

Props to TidusAuron for getting his wife to trasnalate for us. =)

Originally posted on: 08.01.2006, 01:15 AM

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Ideon was my "gateway drug" into the world of fansubs - I'm up to ep 33 and hoping we will get the movies as well; though I was long ago spoiled by Quiddity's site.

Originally posted on: 08.01.2006, 02:23 AM

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm

I've watched all of the fansubbed episodes so far.

It's a little repetative but is still very entertaining in contrast to something like Noir which is repetative and boring.Though I've felt that they haven't really done enough with the time so far. There's only six episodes left and the plot doesn't really seem to have developed much.

However in terms of the EVA connection I haven't really seen one yet and as I understand it all that is really taken from Ideon are a couple of plot devices. It's literally just two things which really only come into play at the end of both series.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread by going off on a rant but it seems a false comparison to compare Eva's similarities with Ideon to Eva's similarities with RahXephon.

Originally posted on: 08.01.2006, 09:50 AM

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm

I have several of the episodes downloaded but haven't gotten around to watching them yet (was planning on doing a complete 1 or 2 day marathon). I made an attempt to watch "A Contact" some time ago but couldn't get into it at all, probably because of how poor the translation was, Prons said it was a bootleg, and I believe him. Do you guys plan on subbing both "A Contact" and "Be Invoked"?

Originally posted on: 08.01.2006, 09:55 AM

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm

@MC: I'm aware. =p

@Prons: Schweet. I need to lurk around you guys more often. :lurk:

Originally posted on: 08.01.2006, 10:02 AM

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Ornette wrote:Do you guys plan on subbing both "A Contact" and "Be Invoked"?
That's the plan.

Originally posted on: 08.01.2006, 11:09 AM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Ornette wrote:Do you guys plan on subbing both "A Contact" and "Be Invoked"?
I can't imagine Quiddity (the translator) settling for anything less.

Ark wrote:However in terms of the EVA connection I haven't really seen one yet and as I understand it all that is really taken from Ideon are a couple of plot devices. It's literally just two things which really only come into play at the end of both series.
Ya know, until episode 34, I was thinking along kind of the same lines. You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until you've see this episode, and then tell me the same, if you can.]

Originally posted on: 08.01.2006, 01:09 PM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Ark wrote:I've watched all of the fansubbed episodes so far.

It's a little repetative but is still very entertaining in contrast to something like Noir which is repetative and boring.Though I've felt that they haven't really done enough with the time so far. There's only six episodes left and the plot doesn't really seem to have developed much.
Same thing here (except I didn't find Noir boring. So what if they spent an entire episode drinking tea. It was... menacing.) Some of the battles are nicely choreographed (gotta love that omnidirectional missile attack), but there's still too much repetition for me. For example, episode 33 was already the second time Buff Clan tries to use local wildlife to defeat Ideon. What are you dorks, 80's super robot villains?

There are some pieces of incredibly groovy BGM, though, which is always a big plus. Image

Originally posted on: 08.01.2006, 01:26 PM

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Same thing here (except I didn't find Noir boring. So what if they spent an entire episode drinking tea. It was... menacing.) Image
I'd rather watch Alice in Wonderland (which is referenced in that episode) 26 times then watch Noir again.

Originally posted on: 08.01.2006, 01:42 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”