Cartoon Network ends Toonami

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Cartoon Network ends Toonami

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:10 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-20/cartoon-network-to-reportedly-end-toonami-tonight

After 11 years, Cartoon Network had decided to end Toonami. I haven't watched it in awhile mainly because none of the shows they broadcasted interested me and that I didn't like the new look for Toonami, itself. Still, after growing up on it and, perhaps, hoping to see it get better, its sad to see it go. Thanks for the good memories and a, "Later," to the staff behind the show.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:27 pm

Took long enough. They killed it when they switched from action anime to little kids shows. I miss all the old Gundam shows they had...
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:52 pm

I think the creation of Adult Swim didn't help Toonami.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Zaiku
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaiku » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:04 pm

Adult Swim was better than Toonami, it had Evangelion. :thumbsup:

I saw Toonami and Adult Swim die a long time ago, because I live in Australia. Toonami DID used to be cool though, I loved watching Gundam and Card Captors, (I was 7 and didn't know that is was shoujo O_O)

I'm more sad about the lack of Adult Swim in Australia, no Evangelion, no Cowboy Bebop, No Gundam SEED, no Inuyasha, no Bleach, no *insert more Adult Swim anime here*
For the love of everything... Watch this video: Give it 5 stars and leave a comment. Even, subscribe... Maybe? Well, I'd appreciate it. >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBcbfvcE6c
"I did it for the lulz." ~Me: on everything

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:49 pm

sorry, I find it funny that the only thing on there at the end is Naruto

kind of apprapo (<-is that spelled right?) don't you think, considering anime fandom right now? :smirk:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:59 pm

Too bad it's in the middle of mass filler ATM. Part 2 isn't really that much better either. Too much plot induced BS for it's own good.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:02 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:kind of apprapo (<-is that spelled right?)

One apropos for sale, cheap.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:07 pm

so, you two are back and that certain someone is likely gone forever, that's interesting

anyway, back on topic, I do wonder about the state of the economy in the US and the world as whole will affect all things related to anime

how's that for a new spin on "teh R1 industry is DOOMED!!!", hmm?

and thnx Smith for the correction

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:18 pm

What? I've been back since Monday.

I do wonder about the state of the economy in the US and the world as whole will affect all things related to anime

Not much since most Americans pirate the shit anyways.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Its not like TV anywhere has had much interesting material on, anyway, what with writers strikes and all. I'm glad I never had cable in the first place, so there's no sentimentality for these kinds of things to me. The only shows from when I was a kid that I still feel nostalgia for are the first season of Poke'mon, and the first three seasons of Digimon. The rest, in retrospect, were crap that you couldn't pay me to see again unless they are being given the Abridged treatment. Like the original Abridged Series, for example. You know the one! ;)

Not much since most Americans pirate the shit anyways.

Hey, what a coincidence! Yesterday was Talk Like a Pirate Day! :wink:

BTW, HAL, you're a little slow on the uptake. Everyone is back except for two certain someones. That was not the original plan, admittedly...

Edit: Hey, actually, I'm looking at the profile of the person who was not supposed to be coming back any time soon, and his title has not changed. I wonder if he was just given a longer sentence...
Last edited by Formless One on Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Real men watch shoujo anime.

I don't think I've ever watched Toonami before. I've already graduated from college before it even existed.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:43 pm

You didn't miss much cause it was constantly going down hill after the first couple of years.

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:48 pm

Wasn't the original weekday Toonami replaced by some really lame block? Miguzi, I think?
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:14 pm

Ah...that gaming site I remember! All those good times when I was in Grade 3 and playing all those games...hehehe....but now they're child's play. I'm betting all the little kids are going to have strike, riot and go hungry.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:33 pm

I...I...ugh...this lifeless monster they kill is not toonami.
Toonami had the absolution, sara, and good anime.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:44 pm

To be honest, I thought Toonami had been canceled years ago.

Iron Rooster wrote:Wasn't the original weekday Toonami replaced by some really lame block? Miguzi, I think?

Yup. Never did understand their logic behind replacing the much beloved Toonami with that weak POS.

RIP Tom (and Sara too). I LOVE YU GUYZ :spout:
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:49 pm

Wait?! Toonami wasn't cancelled five years ago?
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:02 pm

I am happy that they did make a little video saying goodbye to everyone who had been on. Tom even said, "Bang," at the end (a reference to Steve Blum, the guy who'd played Tom, and voiced Spike Seigel from Cowboy Bebop).

Edit: Here the final message from Tom for people who missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:17 am

Formless One wrote:BTW, HAL, you're a little slow on the uptake. Everyone is back except for two certain someones. That was not the original plan, admittedly...

Edit: Hey, actually, I'm looking at the profile of the person who was not supposed to be coming back any time soon, and his title has not changed. I wonder if he was just given a longer sentence...
sorry, I've been real busy with work and crap, and I noticed a day or few ago that Zug was PERMA'd, it was kind of funny to see both AEF and Smith with back-to-back posts and they weren't YELLING about something

back on topic, I only occasionly watched Toonami, even less than [adult swim], and only some classics were on there were with watching, but like others, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it had

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:15 am

We mourn for what Toonami was, back in its prime, a promoter of good programming in a cesspoll of stale, regurgitated themes.

We cry for what it became, a withered old man on the block hurling the same old insults while offering nothing new.

We laugh as we kick its body into the grave, eagerly waiting the return of the fresh themes Toonami once brought us. Will they ever return? Probably not.

And, I'll wager that this is all going to play into what CN is going to reveal to replace it with, and the future looks bleak.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Return to “Film and Video”