We're all going to die next Wednesday? Pfft.

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

We're all going to die next Wednesday? Pfft.

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:20 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,24303939-5012749,00.html

Long URL is long

Oh my god everyone's spreading pathetic rumours on how the world is going to end because of the LHC.

I reckon those juveniles should stop poking their noses into science, because
1) Why the hell are they butting in to these kind of stuff, when most of them do not understand what the collider is designed for.

2) Why should this come as a complete surprise to everyone? Mankind has already tried to destroy itself by inventing the nuclear bomb and everyone's so damned frightened of doomsday.

3) For non-atheists, isn't doomsday imminent?

4) Why so scared? I thought a lot of people believed that God would create an Armageddon...and...if it does"blow-up", most people would be expecting it.

Tell me your thoughts please. I personally do not believe the universe is going to get blown up. I think everyone's overreacting too much.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Re: We're all going to die next Wednesday? Pfft.

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:23 am

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:juveniles

:|
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:27 am

This is all bull. The only serious danger is damage to the collider in case the particle streams go off target, since they're very high energy particles and those magnets are highly sensitive. Maybe some melting, and local irradiation, but not an explosion and certainly not a black hole or doomsday event.

People were afraid of the same thing when the first atomic bomb was tested. Their fears were unfounded. This experiment involves far, far less energy.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:30 am

And people were afraid that the year 2000 would the be end of the world.

Considering this though, it is safe. But, with science, we haven't discovered every mystery, not even a fraction of it, so who knows?

It's only until they try it out...
>>Nothing<<

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:39 am

This is a nightmare. For the Mayans, this time marks the end of the 500 year period of the “Nine Hells” and the beginning of the time of “Thirteen Heavens,” with a transition period of terrible destruction which began in 1991 and will be complete by the end of 2012.”
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:42 am

Well, the good thing is, if it does fail somehow and cause the end of the world, at least our deaths will be incredibly fast. So fast all we'd see is a flash of light and BAM! We're vapourised from Earth.
>>Nothing<<

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:10 am

This is just as likely to cause the end of the world, as Y2K was supposed to.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:55 am

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:59 am

This is a nightmare. For the Mayans, this time marks the end of the 500 year period of the “Nine Hells” and the beginning of the time of “Thirteen Heavens,” with a transition period of terrible destruction which began in 1991 and will be complete by the end of 2012.”

People like to use the Mayan calender to say the doomsday is coming, but most people don't understand that the Mayan concept of "the end of the world" was more "the end of the world as we know it". It was supposed to show that the world would be irrevocably changed in ways that could not be understood, and human life would never be the same. It did not mean human life would end, and indeed, it implied that it might be for the better. Its more along the lines of the way the Technological Singularity works, only they didn't have a word for that.

With that in mind, perhaps they predicted that the LHC would create MAGIC and we would all live in an EPIC FANTASY world the likes of which our dreams cannot even begin to depict? :wink: :)
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:02 am

ZapalacX wrote:This is a nightmare. For the Mayans, this time marks the end of the 500 year period of the “Nine Hells” and the beginning of the time of “Thirteen Heavens,” with a transition period of terrible destruction which began in 1991 and will be complete by the end of 2012.”

Now, that's not quite right. The transition from the fourth (current) world to the fifth (final) world will take place on december 23, 2012, according to the mayans, and will be executed using "fire". Sumerian records point specifically to 11:23 PM GMT december 23, 2012, as the return of the Annunake (nb: the cultures, beliefs, and architecture of the sumerians and mayans are very similar, and they both considered their dieties to be "goatfish" or "lizard" peoples). Modern astronomers predict the planetoid Eris to be at its state nearest to earth at this date and time. I doubt the LHC had anything to do with it. Furthermore, the LHC is actually smaller and less powerful than several other colliders that were partially built and tested (ex. the dude who is studying mayan pyramids using statistical methods on the relative resolution of gamma particles to determine block density was working on a much bigger one in the early 90s, and went into archaeology after the project got cancelled).

The LHC will be perfectly fine. We should worry more about who owns Etemenanki when the progenitors return.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:13 am

Besides, if anything happens, or any portals open up, the Freeman will protect us!:

[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Re: We're all going to die next Wednesday? Pfft.

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:18 am

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Oh my god everyone's spreading pathetic rumours on how the world is going to end because of the LHC.

I reckon those juveniles should stop poking their noses into science, because

I've heard about this for a while. Supposedly we some fear it will cause sufficient energy to move our equilibrium from a False quantum vacuum , of course the chances of this happening are nil as more energy is unleashed by the cosmic radiation exposure against our atmosphere. (However because I only have marginal formal education in physics I would suggest you ask our Cambridge sensei, Tines. )

ZapalacX wrote:Image

I can say as others have said the Maya predicted not the end but simply a cataclysm that would mark a new era. (Supposedly we are already in the third one) Although it would be funny if somehow the LHC would (impossibly) cause a Second impact scenario.
Formless One wrote:Besides, if anything happens, or any portals open up, the Freeman will protect us!:

Most intresting...I've always wanted a headcrab...
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:58 am

The Large Hadron Collider isn't about creating black holes. It's about knocking protons into each other at high speeds and detecting the residual traces of these collisions, recreating conditions of the Big Bang in hopes of finding the elusive Higgs boson, known more popularly as the "God particle"--which causes physicists no end of pain over the name. The boson gives mass to particles in the universe, so its detection is probably going to further research in physics quite a bit.
Another speculation is that the LHC will help detect the presence of "dark energy", a hidden source of power in space, which if successfully generated could be used to prop open otherwise short-lived wormholes and prevent them from collapsing. This could probably enable time travel and teleportation through wormholes (if you can finda wormhole) in the years to come.
There actually is a chance that a black hole will be made because of the huge amounts of energy released in a tiny space and time, but the chance of that is one in trillions...a bit like chucking pieces of uranium and other metal plates in a heap and expecting them to randomly assemble themselves into a nuke. So much for the fears of uneducated "juveniles".
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:36 pm

Funny thing is, Wednesday is XKCD day.

(When charged particles of more than 5 TeV pass through a bubble chamber, they leave a trail of candy.)

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:37 pm

@FO: :rofl: :hitthetable:
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:06 pm

People need to learn science hasn't or will ever be right 100% of the time.

On a different note, I'm already ready for the PAW, specifically ZPAW.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:21 pm

Hey, all I'm saying is that if an impact happens I did not do it no matter what my girlfriend says! >.>'' -backs out of room-

But srsly now, I hope nothing happens ^__^;;...-_-...T.T cause inside I'm kinda scared even if I know nothing well happen.

But part of me wants something to happen OTHER then a black hole..Say SI or Portals or even the Half life Scenario.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:22 pm

Charlie Stross wrote:Calling Bullshit

We. Are. Not. Going. To. Die. On. Wednesday.

The maximum energy the particles generated by the LHC (7TeV) get up to is many orders of magnitude below the maximum energy of cosmic rays that hit the Earth's upper atmosphere from space every fricking day. None of them have created black holes and gobbled up the planet, or turned us all into strange matter. Nor have they done ditto to any cosmic bodies we can see, such as planets or stars. Therefore the world isn't going end when they switch on the LHC on Wednesday. QED.

Joking is all very well, but please, can we not be spreading the FUD and scaring people needlessly? The current climate of superstitious dread with respect to the sciences is bad enough as it is ...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:23 pm

Zombies.... Nuff said....
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Soljer13
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Soljer13 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:41 pm

astonomers say that december 23, 2012 there will be a galactic alignment.... The stars will be right.

Cthulhu will rise and gluttonize your souls!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”