What's with the general reaction to EoE?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

What's with the general reaction to EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:48 pm

Why do I get the feeling that all the people calling it the archetypal "Kill 'Em All" ending didn't pay attention to the movie worth jack shit? Sure, everyone dies horrible deaths, but Shinji basically pressed a colossal reset button by rejecting Instrumentality. If Asuka can come back, so can everyone else who died during the movie.
Last edited by SeanTucker on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:11 pm

Too late, this is a topic no one wants to go into. SSD made a thread of "don't go there topics" and this was one of them. It has been talked to death.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:32 am

^^
The search function is your friend.

I don't think we have anyone here espousing the 'archetypal "Kill 'Em All" ending' interpretation (and I say that as someone who took a very negative interpretation away).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:33 am

The best way to look at it once kom susser tod starts there is so much ambaguity in what actually happens nobody can be wrong with what is said to have happened (within reason). My interpritation of what happened would be different from your interpritaion of what happened the same with SSD, Mr Tines, Reichu ect ect. Thats how I see it anyway.
Writer and Lead animator of Cold Heart
webpage

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:00 pm

OFN.

On a related note did you guys hear about Rei being a clone?!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:26 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:Too late, this is a topic no one wants to go into. SSD made a thread of "don't go there topics" and this was one of them. It has been talked to death.

...he/she did?

Must have missed it. Can a mod lock this then?

master_lloyd wrote:OFN.

On a related note did you guys hear about Rei being a clone?!

That would be the same kind of deal if anyone were saying that Rei wasn't a clone.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:51 pm

SeanTucker wrote:
...he/she did?

She SSD is teh Asuka has a beautiful voice also
Writer and Lead animator of Cold Heart
webpage

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:22 pm

SeanTucker wrote:
Action_Bastard wrote:Too late, this is a topic no one wants to go into. SSD made a thread of "don't go there topics" and this was one of them. It has been talked to death.

...he/she did?

Must have missed it. Can a mod lock this then?

AB is misinterpreting SSD's "Naysayers and not wanting to go there" thread -- which is more about whether certain interpretations of the evidence presented in the show make some people uncomfortable enough to "not want to go there" (e.g. what happened to Ritsuko in episode 23).

The "on the beach" scene in "One more Final" has many threads devoted to it and its various aspects, for which the search function is your friend ... most S/A threads end up spending a while there, too.

Thread recycling is encouraged when you feel there's something to add.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:32 pm

Oh.

I wasn't really trying to add anything new relating to discussion of the scene itself, I was just commenting on how people regard EoE as the quintessential "everyone dies" ending even when that's obviously not the case to anyone who actually pays attention. I think I worded the thread title wrong; changed it to reflect this.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:22 pm

Tines: Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway at topic: I'd say it's because people just aren't paying attention to what the show is saying.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:26 pm

master_lloyd wrote:On a related note did you guys hear about Rei being a clone?!

Wait? SHE'S A CLONE?!?
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:29 pm

CorporalChaos wrote:
master_lloyd wrote:On a related note did you guys hear about Rei being a clone?!

Wait? SHE'S A CLONE?!?

:slapslap:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:45 pm

I heard that the Evas aren't really robots, but I need sauce on this.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:49 pm

My point is that EoE being a "kill 'em all" ending is a misconception that an alarming number of people have, even people who claim to have watched it and paid plenty of attention.

"Rei = clone" and "Evas =! robots" are both concepts that ANYONE who's seen the series, whether they paid attention or not, would have gotten.

And I know no one on HERE espouses that opinion, but elsewhere on the Internet (TVTropes, GameFAQs, 4chan, 7chan) I've seen people accusing Anno of trying to "out-Tomino the man himself".

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:05 pm

SeanTucker wrote:My point is that EoE being a "kill 'em all" ending is a misconception that an alarming number of people have, even people who claim to have watched it and paid plenty of attention.

Well... Everybody (almost everybody) DOES sort of die, quite vividly, but you have to be not zoning out, and/or not overly preoccupied with the "what the fuck?" factor (which the visuals themselves are really heavy on), during the overlong and, like most NGE dialogue, slightly opaque speech at the end to notice the little disclaimer, "Oh, by the way, you can return from the dead if you WANT to..."

EoE is such a confuzzling movie I can't really blame people for missing things like that. I had absolutely no clue what was going on the first time I saw it, and I was paying as much attention as humanly possible. Some people will catch it on the first go; others will on subsequent viewings; some only notice it after being told; and some don't know about it all and probably never will (even those who by all rights should). Incidentally, I've still seen fans, fully aware of what we're told, argue that everybody aside from Shinji and Asuka stay dead.

"Rei = clone" and "Evas =! robots" are both concepts that ANYONE who's seen the series, whether they paid attention or not, would have gotten.

You'd be surprised.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 pm

well I call it a "kill'em all" ending in the sense of just how shocking it is that every character dies, while at the same time conscious of the fact that "anyone can come back" and Third Impact was a reset button (....which is important for Rebuild of Eva)
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:01 pm

V is about to get lynched for mentioning the sequel theory. (Which has been unfairly maligned, IMO).

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:03 pm

I apologize for my previous post, please disregard it. :pwnd:
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:46 am

SeanTucker wrote:I've seen people accusing Anno of trying to "out-Tomino the man himself".

Given the way that the End of Ideon is usually itself misrepresented, that sets the bar very high indeed -- though NGE does make an amusing job of treading the same path when viewed from outside the text (TV series abruptly and incompletely ended, clip-show movie with some changes to the story, and a movie to give the real ending). Ideon does a much more thorough job of killing the whole cast ("Boom! Headshot!") than EoE's often blissful tangification. I am going to have to watch Brain Powerd some time (allegedly Tomino's response to NGE).

Reichu wrote:EoE is such a confuzzling movie

Like the rest of the series, it shows, but does not tell, only there's a lot more being shown. It is a film that is helped if the viewer has a broad background in various eschatologies, so they don't have to spend most of the time building up a conceptual framework to figure out what the hell's going on.

I've still seen fans, fully aware of what we're told, argue that everybody aside from Shinji and Asuka stay dead.

:whistle:

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 am

SeanTucker wrote:I've seen people accusing Anno of trying to "out-Tomino the man himself".

Well, to a certain extent he does. I mean, the idea for Evas was taken from Gundam wasn't it? Anno said so himself. They not only look cooler, they're also substantially taller and stronger. Not to mention the fact that they go berserk, which makes them practically invincible. And one of them is supposedly GOD...
At any rate, I have more respect for Hideaki Anno than for Yoshiyuki Tomino simply because Tomino works to please his fans; Anno doesn't (think EoTV AND EoE).

Reichu wrote:EoE is such a confuzzling movie

Exactly. There you go.

I've still seen fans, fully aware of what we're told, argue that everybody aside from Shinji and Asuka stay dead.

Yes, it is an annoying trend among a lot of us (me included?). I guess that's the inevitable nature of us fans to argue what we want to be true, rather than what we know to be true...even if it's staring us in the face.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”