Fanfic is evil and must be killed with fire

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Fanfic is evil and must be killed with fire

Postby BobBQ » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Yes, ladies and germs, there is a problem lurking beneath the surface of our tranquil community, a problem even greater than that of people being assholes in Discussion. The greatest threat to our existence comes not from Discussion, but from Fandom!

No doubt you all know of the sickening things which take place there, day and night. People draw pictures and post them there. People sing songs and post them there. People edit AMVs and post them there... But worst of all the conceivable offenses, people write stories and post them there!

As Strong Bad understands perfectly, the last word you want to see after 'fan' is 'fiction'. Writing it causes hairy palms. Reading it causes blindness. Worse than txt msg, lumpy pudding and senior citizen beauty pageants combined, fanfiction is sapping and impurifying our precious bodily fluids at this moment!

As a loyal and upright denizen of EvaGeeks Forums, I am shocked - shocked! - that a place where such things are not only allowed, but even encouraged exists within our ephemeral packet-switched borders. To think that people could be so base, crude, so vulgar as to express individual creativity when they should be devoting their time to perfecting our Great Wiki and its vast, immutable magazine of cold, hard facts is enough to make piss boil!

Friends, comrades, EvaGeeks, lend me your ears. This situation is inexcusable and cannot go on. Either we must destroy fanfiction, or fanfiction will destroy us. Anti-ficcers of all forums, unite!

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Formless One » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:42 pm

:rei_meh: I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or what.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

V
Banned

Postby V » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:43 pm

"Fandom" is the 17 year old girl who dressed up as Alternate Rei at a fan convention I went to, 12 years after the series ended and who didn't even know Rebuild was coming out, because she saw in Rei her own insecurities.

"Fandom" is the boy I met who wrote about Shinji as an example in his psych paper because he reflected himself

"Fandom" is getting together and singing along to fan parodies

"Fandom" is writing fan-fiction set in the Eva universe

Fandom is NOT writing fan-fiction involving little if any Eva

Fandom is indeed making AMV's; when was the last time you made on? Everyone loves AMVs. How can you compare "tangential fan-fic that has nothing to do with the series "Evangelion"....to AMVs?"

if you seriously think that in your own words, "writing fanfic on here makes me popular and you're jealous"........

wow

it's not a matter of "Creativity"; even that is gone. I'm not seeing nice Eva fanfics like you see on fanfic.net (nor, even stuff like SailorStardusts' more "adult" fanfic...)

I'm seeing......some sort of bizarre 40 page long Alternate Reality Games done as Second Life on the cheap, that have nothing to do with Evangelion.

You don't believe it possible to make a single guide to all things Eva; you have said this before.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:51 pm

:asuka_stare: I'll admit that a lot of these fanfics are pretty gay. But people should be able to express what the feel the characters would do in certain situations. For instance, I think the fanfics that center around what Shinji did during the days he was alone before Asuka came back, or what they did when she did come back, I think those kind of fanfics are good.

I do AMVs they're funn even if no one really appreciates them. Working on my 5th one if I ever get around to finishing it....
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Fanfics can be a good read if done right.... problem is a good chunk of 'em aren't done right anymore. I ain't gonna waffle about the hows and why's...

Just because some fanfics are shit... doesnt mean all of 'em are.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Iron Rooster » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:59 pm

He probably read that one that had a link posted in the forums here recently.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby majlund » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:17 pm

Fanfics are the scourge of the internet. We must all join in a united effort to expunge this evil from our world.
It is not good enough just not to write any fics, nor is it good enough just to avoid them and hope they wither away. Nay - we must hunt down the perpetrators of these abominations and permanently remove their posting abilities.

I hereby declare Fanfics an affront to nature and urge you all, my fellow EGF'ers, to join this most holy war upon this sinful blemish that is Fanfics...
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:43 pm

I can't be keep quiet about this anymore. This witch hunt has gone too far. When I saw the reaction to my stories called the "Date Rape Series" I knew I could never reveal to this forum that I wrote that story. But I'm not going to hide it anymore. I'm TheKingofTheSeahorses. I wrote the "worst fanfic in history" (I even wrote it while listening to Rammstein's "Mein Teil" - just to put perspective on the cannibalistic stuff). I just don't give a shit anymore. Some people have a story to tell and people like YOU have to make that difficult. People want more after a show is over. We are the saviors of anime fandom. We allow people an opportunity have more of their favorite characters and stories. I don't understand this FF witch hunt. I don't get it at all.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:46 pm

*GASP!!* It's ok, I don't know what the big deal is either.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Action_Bastard » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:48 pm

Here, have a chill-pill. :chillpill: People only write fanfic because they have nothing better to do in between shows and movies. Let them have their fun until something new comes out.

And yes Iron Rooster, this may have been instigated by the awful, sinful recent thread about that awful, sinful fanfic.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:29 pm

:help:

What the flying fuck is going on here???
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:31 pm

Um, Smith? I'm assuming this is meant to be sarcastic but uh...okay. You completely lost me. :rei_meh:

What's exactly the point of this thread, Mr. Tenant of Room 404?

ZapX: I know you're just screwing around, but uh, yeah. Is THAT what this thread is all about? That link to that messed up aff.net fic?

Majlund: Then you'll have to get past ME (and Eric >_>) first! En garde! :duel:

Okay, seriously though:

Mr. Tines wrote:What the flying fuck is going on here???
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:50 pm

O-K :nopity:

(sorry, I think the topic creator is really sounding like he or she is losing it)
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:52 pm

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4520176/1/Children_Of_Angels

Tell me why this doesnt have a right to exist? Or An epic like this

A lot of people get a lot of enjoyment from fanficcing... what the hell do you suggest they do instead?...Eh? These people have little or no lives, this is the only form of social recognition they receive in their small little lives...so be nice.

All pissing aside...

And sure, some of them even decide to try their own original stories, and go on to author things. Fanfiction can breed good authors. Fanfiction is where some learn about character dynamic, plot flow... In all honesty, my first original story, started out as a fanfiction, then sort of mutated into its own characters, setting and plot. And it's something that's looking fucking cool right now
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby honsou » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:57 pm

ZapX wrote:I can't be keep quiet about this anymore. This witch hunt has gone too far. When I saw the reaction to my stories called the "Date Rape Series" I knew I could never reveal to this forum that I wrote that story. But I'm not going to hide it anymore. I'm TheKingofTheSeahorses. I wrote the "worst fanfic in history" (I even wrote it while listening to Rammstein's "Mein Teil" - just to put perspective on the cannibalistic stuff). I just don't give a shit anymore. Some people have a story to tell and people like YOU have to make that difficult. People want more after a show is over. We are the saviors of anime fandom. We allow people an opportunity have more of their favorite characters and stories. I don't understand this FF witch hunt. I don't get it at all.

Its okay zap at least your not Kimberly. And Bob, its pretty damn hard to be anti something that is already loooong dead.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Apparently this whole thread is just Bob's way about venting about something/sum satire.

There seems to be some merit with actual discussion being generated though... :bigeyes:

To answer any naysayers of fanfiction though: It's just like any other creative outlet. It's meant to help you think about what situations you'd like to see the characters in, hell, it can even help you think more about the world or help you hone your writing style. Either way, fanfics as a whole shouldn't be knocked down just because it's an outlet where some writing is hit and miss depending on what you're interested in.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Enki v.2 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:03 pm

Sir BobBQ of EvaGeekdom:

I will join your crusade against all that is me, because although I disagree with everything you say, I will fight to the death for your right to ban everything I do for no good reason!

Hail Ishtar!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Moved here for the continuation of the discussion of the literal-minded interpretation of the original thesis.

As someone who has committed fanfics as well (see .sig), I can understand the urge to let one's passion for a series burst forth. The trouble comes when the skills required to pull the job off are manifestly lacking.

One of the things that makes epics like NXE stand head and shoulders above the typical work is that the writing is workmanlike enough that you only realise after the fact that you've just ploughed through several pages of DJ packing a suitcase.

Of those works (such as cited previously in the thread) where the author is clearly in need of trephination (sunlight being a disinfectant, you know), the less said the better.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:31 pm

(>_>) (<_<)

This is not the Lemontastica discussion thread...

*walks quietly out of here*
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:58 pm

V wrote:I'm not seeing nice Eva fanfics like you see on fanfic.net (nor, even stuff like SailorStardusts' more "adult" fanfic...)

Well, then -- put up or shut up. Or just go here for some "nice Eva fanfics like you see on fanfic.net".

Return to “Fanfiction”