Google Chrome

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Google Chrome

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:54 pm

http://www.google.com/chrome

MMMMM. <3

YOU HAZ NEW BROWSER 2?

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:58 pm

I don't like Google. I think the only product of theirs I like is Google Earth. I use Safari (Go Macs!).
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:10 pm

No linux port yet, they're making all you windows users beta test. So it'll be a little while before I get to run it.

There's been a lot of fuss being made about its EULA though, specifically:

Chrome EULA, Section 11.1 wrote:11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

And by "Services", they mean "Google’s products, software, services and web sites", which includes Chrome. In Section 13.5, it says that after you've stopped using Chrome, everything that happened while you were under the EULA still applies indefinitely.

In Section 12, they're going to automatically download and install updates from Google. Although this isn't unusual to find in EULA, they do make you agree to it.

Also, in Section 17, they say they have the right to place advertisements on their "Services"

Although the EULA's are mainly to protect the licensor, Google's EULA's have been traditionally absurd (see gmail's EULA), but it's unlikely they'll actually pull anything seeing as how heavily user driven the company is. But if something fucked up does happen, just keep in mind you've signed off all of your rights to them.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Thank you, Ornette, now I won't even consider using it. I'm the type of person who doesn't read things and just clicks accept. On a completely unrelated note, if the whole 'Terminator' thing happens I can almost guarantee it'll be Google's fault.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Some related reading

http://brontecapital.blogspot.com/2008/09/google-evil-identity-theft-company.html

http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/initial-thoughts-on-google-chrome

http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2008/09/google_chrome.html

http://blog.headius.com/2008/09/few-thoughts-on-chrome.html
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:57 pm

I like Google, but it will be hard to switch away from Firefox.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:14 pm

Yes Firefox FTW. I have seen what this google browser looks like, and personally it=craptastic.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:58 pm

Being on Linux, I haven't tried it, but I did read the comic they commissioned that was mostly targeted at developers.

It's open-source, which means you can always get a build that isn't from Google, but, more importantly, they've made some remarkable technological advances in performance, from what I've heard, and their new JavaScript engine may be making it into other browsers soon.

As usual, I think that Google will help stimulate competition in the marketplace.

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:07 pm

BrikHaus wrote:I like Google, but it will be hard to switch away from Firefox.

Yeah unless this new browser is far and a way better then firefox (aka it gives me a blow job) I'm probably not switching.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:25 pm

That EULA is absurd. Beats me what they want to say such things for? To modify any and all content? That's plain crazy. Since Google is user-driven like you said, it's probably some kind of contingency planning for something. Beats me what.

And although Chrome is fast, it's rather buggy with the posting. I'll stick to Firefox for the time being.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:30 pm

The EULA has been fixed:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080903-google-on-chrome-eula-controversy-our-bad-well-change-it.html

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 pm

So it has, but the omnibar's keystroke collection needs to be fixed as well. It's not any good if the omnibar can collect and store all keystrokes.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Personally, my impression is that right now Chrome is not for the power user. It's not for people who use lots of Firefox extensions, or tag their bookmarks in del.icio.us, or anything like that.

It's for the shockingly large group of people who type Web addresses into the Google search page because they don't understand what the URL bar is there for.

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:01 am

Hmm..looking at the screenshots, it doesn't look that appealing to me that much. I have to say, though, Firefox is steadily owning Internet Explorer. And since when does Google get into this type of stuff, I doubt their browser would get much attention anyway...when compared to FFX and IE.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:49 am

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:when compared to FFX and IE.

Final Fantasy X lol whut?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:07 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:
BEsERk EVA01 wrote:when compared to FFX and IE.

Final Fantasy X lol whut?

Come on, Monkey, are you saying that you never used Final Fantasy X to browse the web before? Get with the times, man.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Google, Microsoft Intel.

Controlling data, rights and hardware respectively.

Oh well.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:03 pm

No, this is the next step for Google to make MSFT irrelevant.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Just because I have a gmail, doesnt mean I have to trust them. As much as possible, I avoid google services. I had google desktop preinstalled on my laptop by the OEM... I uninstalled it when I caught it phoning home. I dont know what it was sending... but the fact it was sending something bothered me greatly.

So I erased it. Completely.

And wrapped my laptop in tinfoil, JIC
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Google Dektop search does its business by copying all your stuff onto their servers and doing the searching there.

Which is why it's forbidden at work, and why I have never considered installing it. They have enough of my on-line life as it is.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”