Rei the overseer

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Rei the overseer

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:58 pm

I have been watching Reis movements this time through (42) and paying special attention to where she appears and for what reason. To start off I was watching click last night and I believe that there is some relevance to that.

Rei Appears at the time of the main characters deaths and this leads me to believe that she may be the angle of death also. I'm still skeptical on this topic no real hard evidence more or less a theory. But makes some sense to her ghostly appearance. Removing the pain from death. Now that I think of it I wonder if Misato saw her in fer last moments like Ritsuko did.
Writer and Lead animator of Cold Heart
webpage

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:11 pm

See:
http://www.evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24135

http://www.evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710

Zeak wrote:Now that I think of it I wonder if Misato saw her in fer last moments like Ritsuko did.

Yes she did. That fraction of a second before she blows up:

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Ok thanks that helps
webpage

Evangelion__x
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Rei the overseer

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion__x » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:02 am

lol angle of death

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:01 am

Well, Rei does seem to fulfill the role as the Angle of Death. The angle who comes down and whisks away the soul of the people and bring it to wherever they need be. Another Judeo-Christian symbolism for you, I guess.
I feel old

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:21 am

Its angel not angle. That's what his joke was about, Imp.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Zeak
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Zeak » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:24 am

The Imperialist wrote:Well, Rei does seem to fulfill the role as the Angle of Death. The angle who comes down and whisks away the soul of the people and bring it to wherever they need be. Another Judeo-Christian symbolism for you, I guess.

Yeah I noticed.
webpage

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:04 pm

It's probably more accurate to call her a Transition Guide for the Singularity/Omega Point.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:03 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:It's probably more accurate to call her a Transition Guide for the Singularity/Omega Point.

Definitely. Moreso than the traditional sense of an Angel of Death.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:20 pm

-snip, sorry, didn't read all of the thread-
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:21 am

Bugger my Angles, not Angels. But if Rei was actually going around like a ghost appearing in front of people and completely turning them into LCL, I think it might fit the more traditional sense of the Angel of Death.
I feel old

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:49 pm

The Imperialist wrote:Bugger my Angles, not Angels. But if Rei was actually going around like a ghost appearing in front of people and completely turning them into LCL, I think it might fit the more traditional sense of the Angel of Death.

Not really, since she's only been doing this role for this one event, and is even popping people who aren't dead. Given the nature of Instrumentality, an ascension to a higher state of existence via the power of quantum physics and Evaverse's science in a manner ala Singularity (Or more accurately, Omega Point), she's a Transition Guide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Point

http://www.windsong.demon.co.uk/nge/eschaton.html

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:47 am

I would see the higher state of existance as more of a spritual thing, than a more 'scientific' thing. I mean, people aren't exactly being turned into characters in a computer simulation at the end of time...
I feel old

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:39 pm

The Imperialist wrote:I would see the higher state of existance as more of a spritual thing, than a more 'scientific' thing. I mean, people aren't exactly being turned into characters in a computer simulation at the end of time...

No, but they are being merged with a superior organic being that was artificially created with some sort of weird biotechnology using quantum physics, and in the Evaverse, the soul is a natural part of the physical universe and can even be measured with scientific tools. While there's certainly spiritual overtones, the actual event in it's entirety is a Technological Singularity.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:06 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:the actual event in its entirety is a Technological Singularity.

Quite so.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:41 am

That means, that the ancestral race, has somehow came to the answer to the question of Life, and how it can be related to the physical.

Assuming that even though it is organic, but as you put it, a Technological Singularity, it means that everyone is at Omega Point (for to reach the answer of an impossibility, one must reach some sort of infinity in information process)at the present moment, and our information process has reached infinity, but doesn't that mean that they are basically at the end of time? And if so, it might be strange, but was the morphing into a 'higher existance' was somehow a way to prolong life even at the end of time? But doesn't that mean that 'higher existance' maybe that everyone was turned into characters within the alternate reality in the existance they are in?
I feel old

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:51 am

Quotes from http://www.aleph.se/Trans/ which is as good a starting point as any

SINGULARITY: The postulated point or short period in our future when our self-guided evolutionary development accelerates enormously (powered by nanotechnology, neuroscience, AI, and perhaps uploading) so that nothing beyond that time can reliably be conceived. [Vernor Vinge, 1986]

Arguably we have already been through a couple of similar events (where technological change have meant that "business as usual" wasn't) during recorded history. The 2016 event is a Singularity through massive involutary upload (just with a different vector to an introdus virus plague).

This is very different to the Tiplerian Omega Point, wherein some Transhuman Power runs multiple massively parallel ancestor simulations during the maelstrom of a Big Crunch (for one thing Big Crunch looks far less likely than Big Rip).

OMEGA POINT: A possible future state when intelligence controls the Universe totally, and the amount of information processed and stored goes asymptotically towards infinity. [Origin: Teilhard de Chardin, The Phenomenon of Man. See also Barrow and Tipler, The Cosmological Anthropic Principle or Tipler's The Physics of Immortality for a more modern definition.]
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:01 am

However, with that Omega Point, (well, has to be made- doesn't come on its own. ONe has to somehow make it so different parts of the universe accelrates the 'Big Crunch' at different speed) theoretically, if the specie keeps on evolving (by nature, or concieved artificially) because of the increasing energy, one will be able to gain infinite information processing speed. Therefore, it would seem that time is basically not going, therefore, one can live forever (from their point of view) within the nano second before the end of time. WIth that capability, one could construct also a infinitely powerful computer which can make everybody from the past into characters within a computer simulation.

This, I suspect, may what the FAR have done, and maybe the total assimilation of humans somehow some kind of either taking in to become a character within a very elaborate, bio-technical computer, or as somekind of device to make people survive through the end of the universe, making the assumption that the universe was coming to an end.
I feel old

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:26 am

Sorry to burst your bubble Imp, but infinite anything is made impossible by thermodynamics*. Eventually even your simulation will have to come to an end some time because the energy will eventually leak away due to entropy. You have now effectively turned the Big Crunch death of the universe into a Heat Death of your universe within that universe.

*Theoretically the exception is made for space-time itself. Multiverse theories work because of this. Space being theoretically infinitely large past the event horizon of this universe allows for it.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:29 pm

If the FAR could just make a simulation to replicate the entire universe, they wouldn't of needed to send out Seeds of Life and risk fucking up the entirety of existence. Plus, the MAGI serve to prove that you can't fake a soul. Biology or no go. AI is a dead end.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”