Spear of Longinus in Constantine

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:12 pm

Reichu wrote:No one knows, unfortunately. This is one question that has no answer.
That is true, not even the EVA2 game actually says where it comes from (as far as we know); but it's helical shape and enormous power seem to imply that it operates on the same principle as the S^2 engine. It would make sense to suppose that it is some sort of Artifact of the same super technology that produced the Seeds of Life, etc, in other words the so-called Ancestor Civilization.
I've often wondered whether having Adam impaled on the Spear within the White Moon was supposed to be in some way analogous to the monolith hidden on the moon in 2001 A Space Odyssey; that is, the alien intelligence left it there so that millions of years later, when the human race had advanced to the point that they were able to reach the moon and uncover it, it would act as a trigger or trip-wire, to set in motion the next step in human evolution. Was the Spear serving a similar function? Was the idea that Second Impact would be triggered once the Lilim had evolved to the point where they would discover the Lance, and started poking Adam with it?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:04 pm

Nephilim wrote:Acording to the eva2 game, the lance of longinus was made by an ancient civilization of humans, that nailed it in to Adam to keep him (or her, what ever) sleeped, so humans could rule the earth, and not the angels.

And you read this where?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:04 pm

Anno must have had something on his mind about it,but it's too hard to find it or even imagine it..I mean there are NO clues for it..

You're absolutely right. The thought on his mind was:

*reads*

Hmm, 'Lance of Longinus' eh? Well, I'll just turn that into a giant red stick and see what I can do with it. As for what it's doing in the story, I'll let the geeks handle that.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:16 am

Nephilim wrote:Acording to the eva2 game, the lance of longinus was made by an ancient civilization of humans, that nailed it in to Adam to keep him (or her, what ever) sleeped, so humans could rule the earth, and not the angels.

If that's true,it's ridiculous..Couldn't they make something more convincing?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:32 am

I don't think it is, 7. I certainly haven't read anything to that effect anyway, and I've scourged the Internet for info on NGE2 (in Japanese, even!).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:16 am

The spear also appear in

HellBoy
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Crazy_Beserker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy_Beserker » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:06 pm

Timesplitter 01 wrote:The spear also appear in

HellBoy

You serious i never realised it when i saw it :? hmmm can you remeber what part of the movie it was from??? ill have another look see if i can find it...

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:29 pm

Crazy_Beserker wrote:
Timesplitter 01 wrote:The spear also appear in

HellBoy

You serious i never realised it when i saw it :? hmmm can you remeber what part of the movie it was from??? ill have another look see if i can find it...

Its when the new scientist ( or carekeeper ) is walking along a hall way with the "father" of hellboy. Its pretty near the beggining.

They even talk about it for about 5 seconds and the camera focuses on it, its in a glass case at the bottom
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:35 pm

It was made by the Atlanteans, I tell you! I'm sure Nadia could tell us something about it if she hadn't died half a century ago (or was real).

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:37 pm

Intresting , interesting indead.

Crazy_Beserker
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy_Beserker » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:45 am

Aaaah nice nice thanks a lot Timesplitter 01 cheers...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:51 am

Actually, now that I think of it, I never actually heard of the Lance of Longinus before I watched Eva. Not even once.

How the hell do a bunch of anime producers from Japan know so much about esoteric christian mythology? It's an intruiging question.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:11 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Actually, now that I think of it, I never actually heard of the Lance of Longinus before I watched Eva. Not even once.

How the hell do a bunch of anime producers from Japan know so much about esoteric christian mythology? It's an intruiging question.

Research. Yep.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:26 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Actually, now that I think of it, I never actually heard of the Lance of Longinus before I watched Eva.

The place I first encountered it was in Malory (perhaps named only in the commentary/footnotes thereto), where it appears in the Grail Pageant in the Fisher King's castle. More on that context here:

http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?t=156303&page=3&pp=15

Perhaps Anno-tachi included someone who'd encountered it in that context.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:29 am

I thought I would ressurect this thread to say that I thought Constantine was an alright flick. Not a masterpeice, but certainly worth the time to watch.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:00 pm

Maybe... it has no significance to religion besides the name... maybe they just called it the lance of longinuss because it was a really powerful wepon and needed a powerful name :P
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:18 pm

Is Constantine worth renting? I wanted to see it, but Keanu Reeves isn't exactly the most exciting actor on earth.

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Cogboy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:43 am

no more than any other movie you pick randomly from the shelf.
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:07 pm

hey i picked evangelion randomely off the shelf... then again i picked mind hunters randomly off the shelf >_< lol
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:13 pm

Sometimes non-random picks are worse. Don't rent Timeline...no matter how good you think it looks it's really really bad.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

Return to “Film and Video”