Evangelion: Mercenaries

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

Evangelion: Mercenaries

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:17 am

Here's a fanfic idea I've been kicking around for a bit now. No, it's not an adaptation of MGS4, I'm just using that name because the overall situation in the world during the fic is pretty similar.

Essentially, it ignores half of EoE and the entirety of EoTV. The first episode of EoE happens, except Misato gets Shinji into Unit 01 earlier on, and also orders Rei to get in Unit 00, as well as alerting them both to Asuka's location. They show up as Asuka regains consciousness, but before the Mass Produced Evas descend on her. Because of Misato's order to Rei, Gendo's plan gets fucked in the ass twice over, and that's a major understatement. He is found dead in Terminal Dogma by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head once the carnage subsides.

The Evas are retired permanently in an attempt by the UN to save face. Because of the Second Impact, wars between standing armies were outlawed as a way to keep the world focused on rebuilding; the UN shows no signs of repealing this law.

Fast forward 10 years. The former pilots are now in their early 20s. The anti-war law is still in effect, and the countries of the UN have gotten around the restriction by sending private military companies to fight their wars instead of using a standing army.

Asuka joined a private military company at age 18 for two reasons. The first is that she had found an appreciation for war within herself during the events that would have lead up to Instrumentality. The second is because it's better than an orphanage, which is where she lived from Misato's death to age 18 along with the other two pilots.

Shinji and Rei had attempted to live a normal life as roommates (probably no SxR in this fic), and mostly succeeded. However, when Shinji learned that his father had killed himself, he immediately assumed that it was his fault; the only thing he saw that he could do to atone was join a PMC. Rei figured it would be in her best interest to follow him, since she hadn't been able to find a different job and she undoubtedly could not live on her own because of that.

Is it any coincidence, then, that they ended up in Asuka's company?

Her first reaction was something equivalent to "Oh, scheissen... the doll and the idiot. Wonders never cease."

However, they both proved to be capable soldiers, and the German developed a sort of grudging respect for them.

In July 2025, Japan entered a war with Ruristan, one of the countries that had formed following the fall of Israel in 2021 at the hands of a Pakistani PMC hired by Syria. The PMC that the three former pilots ended up in was given a hefty sum of money by the Japanese government to go in and do a swift takeover.

Unfortunately, the PMC Ruristan had hired was better-equipped than the Japanese government had thought. Most of the Japanese PMC was slaughtered except for a few squads, one of which included Asuka Langley Soryuu, Shinji Ikari, and Rei Ayanami.

Now, the former pilots are trapped in a fight for their life that none of them may end up surviving.
Last edited by SeanTucker on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:31 am

Sounds interesting.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Yeah, this should be when I get around to actually writing it.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Evangelion: Guns of the Patriots

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:55 pm

SeanTucker wrote:orders Rei to get in Unit 00

Um... what unit 00? It went kaboom, remember?

That seems to kinda toss a giant wrench into the works.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:29 pm

The people of Ruritania do not approve.

That said, I'd be interested to see what might come of this.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:22 pm

seconded too. I wanna see BUFF SHINJEH.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Evangelion: Guns of the Patriots

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:23 am

NemZ wrote:
SeanTucker wrote:orders Rei to get in Unit 00

Um... what unit 00? It went kaboom, remember?

That seems to kinda toss a giant wrench into the works.

It's an AU. Some bits need to be ignored for the cancelling of EoE to work.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:17 am

BobBQ wrote:The people of Ruritania do not approve.

That said, I'd be interested to see what might come of this.

Ruristan is a placeholder name, I'll come up with something better.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:08 am

Yatta.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4456872/1/Evangelion_Mercenaries

First chapter (intro) is up. I messed with the plot skeleton I started with a bit, but it shouldn't be that much of a prob.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:40 am

talk with BoBBQ for lots of lots of gun information, if he already did not PM you about this.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:42 am

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:talk with BoBBQ for lots of lots of gun information, if he already did not PM you about this.

He did not send me a private message. I was unaware that we had an expert on firearms on this forum.

(:rei_blush: heh heh heh)

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:15 pm

You can also talk to Ursus Arctos as well.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:50 pm

SeanTucker wrote:I was unaware that we had an expert on firearms on this forum.

Oh, now you've done it.

First, the MP5SD was developed in the 1970s. That's far from old, especially since the design is still in widespread use. If you want Asuka to have a liking for old German hardware, perhaps carrying a Mauser HSc or Sauer 38H as a backup piece would work better.

Second, the BAR. While not a bad design in itself, it's generally obsolete today owing to its limited capacity, lack of a quick-change barrel, considerable weight and non-standard caliber. The SAW job is usually given to 5.56mm weapons, but if you really want a 7.62mm with a box magazine, I'd suggest considering either an HK11E or a surplus Canadian C2 FAL.

Third, the PSG1 is a 7.62mm weapon - there's no need to convert it to .30 caliber because that's what it is already. It's also a weapon not suited to battlefield conditions, owing to its weight and fragility. The G3SG/1 or MSG90 would be more plausible choices.

Fourth, the Remington 870. There's nothing wrong with the model, but carrying one alone comes across as a little risky even if the owner is cross-trained in CQB as well as demolition. Since this is a PMC, he can probably get away with packing something along the lines of a Glock 18 to back it up.

Fifth, the FAL's characterization is pretty far off. It's not the most reliable battle rifle in sandy conditions, but it's far from a jamming-prone chunk of junk unless the one Shinji's got is in dire need of a trip to an armorer. In any case, the FAL is a poor choice: it's awfully large and heavy for someone of Shinji's build, and a full-size battle rifle doesn't seem terribly well suited for the type of work this PMC would be doing.

Sixth, the AK-47 is dead, long live the AK-47. If Shinji's going to pick up anything, it'll be either an AKM or an AK-74.

And lastly, the SSDF forces which attacked Nerv were not working for Gendo, unless this is a deliberate alteration on your part.

Other than the above, no major complaints so far.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:46 pm

BobBQ wrote:
SeanTucker wrote:I was unaware that we had an expert on firearms on this forum.

Oh, now you've done it.

First, the MP5SD was developed in the 1970s. That's far from old, especially since the design is still in widespread use. If you want Asuka to have a liking for old German hardware, perhaps carrying a Mauser HSc or Sauer 38H as a backup piece would work better.

Second, the BAR. While not a bad design in itself, it's generally obsolete today owing to its limited capacity, lack of a quick-change barrel, considerable weight and non-standard caliber. The SAW job is usually given to 5.56mm weapons, but if you really want a 7.62mm with a box magazine, I'd suggest considering either an HK11E or a surplus Canadian C2 FAL.

Third, the PSG1 is a 7.62mm weapon - there's no need to convert it to .30 caliber because that's what it is already. It's also a weapon not suited to battlefield conditions, owing to its weight and fragility. The G3SG/1 or MSG90 would be more plausible choices.

Fourth, the Remington 870. There's nothing wrong with the model, but carrying one alone comes across as a little risky even if the owner is cross-trained in CQB as well as demolition. Since this is a PMC, he can probably get away with packing something along the lines of a Glock 18 to back it up.

Fifth, the FAL's characterization is pretty far off. It's not the most reliable battle rifle in sandy conditions, but it's far from a jamming-prone chunk of junk unless the one Shinji's got is in dire need of a trip to an armorer. In any case, the FAL is a poor choice: it's awfully large and heavy for someone of Shinji's build, and a full-size battle rifle doesn't seem terribly well suited for the type of work this PMC would be doing.

Sixth, the AK-47 is dead, long live the AK-47. If Shinji's going to pick up anything, it'll be either an AKM or an AK-74.

And lastly, the SSDF forces which attacked Nerv were not working for Gendo, unless this is a deliberate alteration on your part.

Other than the above, no major complaints so far.

...d'oh. Note to self: actually do the research before I put real-world weapons in a fic. The "MP5 = old" thing was because the story's set in 2025, and I presumed that a gun design would be considered old after about 50 years.

Another "d'oh" at my continuity error there.

(And my comment was because I legitimately didn't know we had any gun experts on here. Sorry if I seemed like I was making a sarcastic remark at your expense.)

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:47 pm

interesting idea, not a crossover that I would have imagined anyway

IMO, some of these mercs NEED MOAR tomahawks, for MOAR on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_%28axe%29#Military_application

I'd also indulge in some name dropping, such as KBR, Dyncorp, Blackwater Worldwide or Aegis, even an "Aegis Blackwater, PLC" merger, as well as Tim Spicer and Erik Prince (at least their archetypes)

and have the Japanese PMC use the old Rising Sun flag as the "logo" and make a snappy though unofficial/unincorporated name like "N.I.I. (Nippon Imperial Industries)"
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:32 pm

Somebody forgot to mention the AK-100 series, or the various Howa JSDF firearms etc. etc.

Anything military would interest me. I give approval.
I feel old

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:03 pm

The Imperialist wrote:Somebody forgot to mention the AK-100 series, or the various Howa JSDF firearms etc. etc.

The uptake of Izhmash's export market AKs is a fraction of that of the older models, and will likely stay that way unless Russia reverts to giving them away by the truckload. As for Howa, Sumitomo et al, none of them are renowned for small arms innovation, nor are any of their products likely to attain significant demand abroad even if Japan should relax its stringent restrictions on weapon exports.

But that's as may be.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:16 am

I do hear that some Ak-100's are being sold by the rather under paid soldiers. The Howas, well, fine, they are practically impossible to acquire, but oh well.

Oh yes, because you have such a vast knowledge of weapons, I was wondering about the differences in the Tokarev pistols. What is the difference between the original, and the CHinese copy, aside from the fact that Chinese ones have a safety catch? Just wondering.
I feel old

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm writing the second chapter at this moment. Would anyone be particularly annoyed if I based some bits on the Rule of Cool rather than anything that could possibly happen in real life? I'll try to keep the guns realistic, namely avoiding "Bottomless Magazines" and making sure the current loadouts are appropriate for the location and operation, just so BobBQ doesn't get annoyed at every new chapter I put up... but beyond that, all bets are off.

I mean, I'm already writing a sequel fanfic to one of the most bizarre anime series ever.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:42 am

I think you'd better stick to realism on both counts.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Fanfiction”