Thoughts on Direct-to-Video Disney Sequels

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Thoughts on Direct-to-Video Disney Sequels

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:05 am

I can't believe I didn't find out until just now that, back in 2007, John Lasseter and Ed Catmull got high positions in Walt Disney Animation Studios when Disney acquired Pixar. After getting this new power, they did what they had wanted to do for quite some time: cancel the production of D2V sequels.

At first, that seemed quite commendable, and Lasseter gained even more respect from me than he had had before (if that were even possible). Then, however, I read this.

Now, I don't actually agree with everything the article says. Just earlier today I was remembering when the Disney Channel showed, back to back, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Hunchback of Notre Dame II. The first one had quite progressive animation for its time, and clearly had a very lofty budget. I gave up on watching the second one a couple of minutes in, however, because the poor animation quality annoyed me so much. It pained me to watch Atlantis II for the same reason.

However, the animation quality is not always so cheap. The Lion King 1½, for example, had pretty much theatrical animation quality. I haven't seen Bambi II or Tarzan II, but they looked like they had rather nice animation from the trailers as well.

However, good animation quality can't make up for a bad story. The article I linked to praises Cinderella III, but seemed to skip over the god-awful Cinderella II: Dreams Come True to make its point. Stitch! The Movie (and everything I've seen that's Lilo & Stitch-related aside from the first film) makes one forget how charming and funderful the first film was.

Hooowweeeeverrrr, the stories weren't all bad for D2V Disney films either. I remember really liking The Lion King II: Simba's Pride when I was younger, though I liked some pretty crappy stuff and I'm not sure if I'd still like it. The Lion King 1½, however, I can say that I liked, if only for its subversively irreverent treatment of the original (the same reason I liked the Timon & Pumbaa series as a child: it pretty much ruins The Lion King if you consider it to be in the same canon). I also have rather fond memories of Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin, which came out when I was in 2nd grade. I had a lot of fun with that movie, and from what I can remember I think I'd still find it rather good. Mulan II isn't that bad, either, though it's not all that great.

Here I ask: are there any D2V Disney films that people here like, or at least consider competent? Was Lasseter making the right decision when he put an end to one of Disney's most lucrative, but critically derided concepts, and fired the person in charge?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:38 am

Good move, definitely. The Lion King sequel wasn't as shabby as they could have made it (If you can call that redeeming), although the storyline descriptions of others like the Atlantis sequel were enough to put me off them without even watching them. It didn't help that Atlantis was weird in the first place.

I watched the Jungle Book sequel...it sucked, although it was a theatrical release and not DTV. None of the beauty of the original.

DTV or theatrical, animated or live-action, all sequels barring the likes of Godfather II and maybe one or two LA movies in that category are pathetic. (TT and RotK don't qualify as sequels since LotR was made as a trilogy from the very start.)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:46 am

direct to video sequels are probably too indie for all of you guys.I can can assure you that these movies are all beautiful in their own ways, and they are up for interpretation. My favorite is the sequel to Lady and the Tramp, a timeless classic beaten by its sequel. Not all of them are good, but I'm sad they stopped making them.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:40 am

Well, I thought Inspector Gadget 2 was pretty good, but then I only bought that because I'm something of a Gadget fan.

Well, when I say pretty good, I mean the plot and writing sucked, but the designs were good.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:01 am

DTV or theatrical, animated or live-action, all sequels barring the likes of Godfather II and maybe one or two LA movies in that category are pathetic. (TT and RotK don't qualify as sequels since LotR was made as a trilogy from the very start.)

I wouldnt go as far as to say all sequals suck, though more often then not the first movie does seem to be the better one. For example I really liked the second ghost in the shell movie, and I thought the third heisei Gamera film was far superior to the two previous films that came before it. Wrath of Kahn was also better then the first Star Trek movie IMO I also liked spiderman 2 better then the first movie (lets not mention the 3rd though), theres plenty of other good sequals out there, those are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head.

Anyway, that being said all the CTV disney sequals I've seen have been pathetically sorry. They had the right idea stopping these, as Misato would say a half assed attempt is worse then not doing anything at all. And thats exactly what these were, half assed attempts at sequals that were just riding on the coattails of the originals success.
Last edited by Defectron on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:02 am

To be honest, the only Disney sequels I've watched is the whole Aladdin trilogy (including episodes of the TV series if it counts for anything) growing up. And that's only because it's one of my favorite Disney series.

With any other Disney sequel, I've simply avoided those out of lack of interest/fear that it would suck, but I know not all sequels are bad and sometimes they can be better than the original. (Though part of it stems from the fact that Walt Disney didn't want there to be any sequels of things and the company ended up ignoring that rule just for profit...)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:06 am

Most sequels, sadly, lack that kind of impact. I suppose that the feel of a sequel is rather different to fans. Casual viewers would find a sequel as taking too much for granted rather than expanding upon a previous work, I think. :shrug:

As a matter of fact, the second Godfather movie was so good because it kept the feel of the first movie while expanding into new areas of both Godfathers' lives.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:18 am

actually, even Disney has finally admitted that sequels to established titles are bad and have declared that they'll stop doing them; new management came in that finally saw the writing on the wall and realized that "this dilutes the quality of our brand name; everyone makes fun of it; lets put the shame behind us"
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:37 am

V wrote:actually, even Disney has finally admitted that sequels to established titles are bad and have declared that they'll stop doing them

They're going to enact this after Toy Story 3, then? [url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435761/[/url]
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Toy Story 3 was apparently going to be direct-to-video, but Lasseter upgraded it to theatrical.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:03 pm

D2V Disney sequels have never been enthusiastically recieved by me, even the very few that were "decent" IMO like The Lion King II, though this is mainly to my anti-Disney views
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:24 pm

NAveryW wrote:Toy Story 3 was apparently going to be direct-to-video, but Lasseter upgraded it to theatrical.

I thought that was Toy Story 2. Or maybe it was both?

Hal-kun wrote:my anti-Disney views

They are evil and must be stopped at all costs!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:43 pm

First we must hire all their animators.

Seriously, Disney's animation looks good, better than some anime. They just don't have the guts to break out of the animation ghetto, let alone make anything original anymore.

Plus, they were always Corporate Evil On A Stick.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Brik-kun wrote:
NAW-kun wrote:Toy Story 3 was apparently going to be direct-to-video, but Lasseter upgraded it to theatrical.

I thought that was Toy Story 2. Or maybe it was both?
no, just Toy Story 3, they weren't even going to have Lassiter and the original Pixar staff or most of the original voice actors (only Tim Allen was confirmed to continue if Pixar was out of the picture) and there was what would be considered now a politically incorrect storyline (and killer of moichendizing sales); but, Disney bought controlling interest in Pixar and that potential train wreck never happened
Brik-kun wrote:
Hal-kun wrote:my anti-Disney views
They are evil and must be stopped at all costs!
well, my problem is not simply what Disney has become, it's what it was and may possibly have been had Walt Disney's vision of things like EPCOT had ever got close to what was hoped for

I doubt Disney himself would be enthralled with how commercialized and "licensed" the company he founded and everything in entertainment has gotten, nor how much many people no longer give a flip about the family as a force for good in America and the world other than a profit center

yeah, something like EPCOT seems to even the most optimistic as a relic of the "Father Knows Best"/1950's "flying car future that never was", but it's that kind of sense of diversity in ways and even direction though not destination, of unity and comprability that's sorely missing today not just in entertainment but in greater popular culture and socio-politics too, rather than the greedy interpretation of nihilism, "I'm different just because blah blah blah", raging and vengeful entitlement, and the master/slave morality that finds its way into every generation
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:14 pm

NAveryW wrote:Toy Story 3 was apparently going to be direct-to-video, but Lasseter upgraded it to theatrical.

Good call. If he handles it as well as he handled Toy Story 2, he has a definite hit.

Reminds me of a certain sequel to a certain movie... :vader:

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Thoughts on Direct-to-Video Disney Sequels

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:38 am

I rather liked Lion King 1½ (much more than the original :grin:), though generally I'm not a fan of D2V sequels in general, as a good lot of them seem to just cash in on the success of the original (theatrical) films.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:I doubt Disney himself would be enthralled with how commercialized and "licensed" the company he founded and everything in entertainment has gotten, nor how much many people no longer give a flip about the family as a force for good in America and the world other than a profit center

I agree. I think it's a pity that Disney doesn't make much high-caliber stuff anymore these days like they did back then (Fantasia, anyone?).

By the way, your comment somehow reminded me of Skinner from Ratatouille (one of the few very best films that Disney managed to churn out in the present day, IMHO) and how he tried to exploit the late top chef Auguste Gusteau's reputation and image to market low-quality frozen foods in the film.

BrikHaus wrote:They are evil and must be stopped at all costs!

Shinji: "Wait. Since when does DI$NEY care about humanity?"
Kaji: "They don't. DI$NEY only wishes to control the world."

...sorry, couldn't resist.
"God forbid that I actually make any logical sense whatsoever!"
- Me from around three years ago. Thank God I still don't.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:57 am

NAveryW wrote:I also have rather fond memories of Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin, which came out when I was in 2nd grade. I had a lot of fun with that movie, and from what I can remember I think I'd still find it rather good.

I FUCKING LOVED THAT MOVIE.

Anyone looking for any more contributive talk to this subject from me can go ahead and look somewhere else right now. My opinion on the Disney Sequels remains largely like everyone else's.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:44 pm

pat457 wrote:By the way, your comment somehow reminded me of Skinner from Ratatouille (one of the few very best films that Disney managed to churn out in the present day, IMHO) and how he tried to exploit the late top chef Auguste Gusteau's reputation and image to market low-quality frozen foods in the film.
You know, come to think of it, that might have been a direct allegory for what Disney was doing.

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:43 am

I never understood the direct to video thing. Sending a movie directly to video really makes it seem like an attempt to just make money with minimum effort. I do admit, occasionally, one of them turns out to be decent or better, but still. Good call on the top guys, I say.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:48 am

Now they just need to ditch Kingdom Hearts and all will be right with the world.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Return to “Film and Video”