How competent is Asuka, really? (college & piloting)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:49 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Say what now? Because I seem to recall multiple instances of Asuka locking up when things don't immediately go her way and Shinji having to bail her out.

I can think of one time where Shinji bailed her out (well, two counting the volcano). The rest of the time they sank or swam together.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:04 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I can think of one time where Shinji bailed her out (well, two counting the volcano). The rest of the time they sank or swam together.

I was thinking episodes 8 and 19.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:49 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I was thinking episodes 8 and 19.

Shinji didn't bail her out in 8. Heck, at one point she turns to him and says "What can we do?" and he just shrugs and says "We have B type equipment." It's the first of many times he disappoints her. After that Misato comes up with her harebrained plan and they execute it together -- she doesn't freeze up at any point thereafter.

And heck, while it's true she does fail to adapt in 19 Shinji doesn't exactly bail her out. She's long since out of the fight by the time he bothers to show up.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”