(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:41 am

i suppose i no longer have the chance to fix up my entry, even though i had only 3 days bfore i left 4 camp and hadda submit early?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:12 am

I don't have an issue with that, though I'm not actually in charge. Final decision goes to Chowwow.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:19 am

Nemz-kun and Ran-kun (sorry, but I am now capitalizing your name) have the right idea. I don't want to say too much, since my Eva entry will complete the story, but the meaning of the name "Kali" isn't accidental. If this makes sense, before I started writing I focused on a few ideas and let them swim around in my head for a bit. Then I smoked a joint (holyshitohnoaaaahdrugsaaaaah) then just wrote the whole thing in a single go, without dwelling too deeply or letting my inner editor interfer. I hoped this would allow myself to naturally convey those ideas without being 300% obvious. I don't like dictating the meaning to my audience, but rather want to share in the interpretation. (This is the kind of weird empathy-laden thought process I have when high.) I wanted a sort of aura, which I think everyone's picked up on. Does that make sense? Whether or not this makes me insanely clever can be decided once the second part is complete. ^^; (I don't know if the rules allow it, so feel free to disqualify me, but the narrative part of the Eva design will probably lend the angel design more meaning. I'm just giving myself free rein to be ridiculous.)

Ran-kun is right about the three influences. The face was originally more Japanese and mask-like, but I ended up simplifying it and using the triple-mouth, which is from a nightmare I had as a child. The wings are obviously Christian (I had a woodcut of my personal "guardian angel" hanging over my bed, when I was young). The arms are obviously from Hindu mythology, specifically Kali. I wanted an angel that was both angelic and horrifying without seeming arbitrary, so I thought I'd draw upon vastly different traditions.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:What is going on with the [insert pic] bits? Are more pictures on the way?

There are only the two images. I emailed them to Chowwow to host and he was supposed to insert them at those points (so that you don't see the angel's design until Shinji does). That would be the editor's oopsy. ^_~ I've PM'd Chowwow about it.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:13 pm

Considering just how terrifying Kali is meant to be, this Angel does justice to the name. No one messes with Kali!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:45 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:I don't want to say too much, since my Eva entry will complete the story, but the meaning of the name "Kali" isn't accidental.

If that means what I think it does, then I'm looking forward to maybe seeing some awesome chaos and destruction from the black goddess then!
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:58 pm

SPOILER: Shit's gonna be cracked-out.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

UNIT-M MINIATURE PROTOTYPE

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:19 am

All the things which needed editing as pointed out by others have been altered; the overall content of those posts should have not changed too much but they should be much easier to read now.

Back to the show!

August 22
Image oOoOoOo

oOoOoOo wrote:EVA DESIGN: “UNIT-M”
MINIATURE PROTOTYPE

The narrative (which finishes the insanity I started with my previous entry) hardly has anything to do with the Eva design. Well, the design itself is basically about teamwork between Asuka and Shinji, so maybe the narrative makes sense. Or maybe it is all crack-fuelled nonsense. Actually, in my drug-tinged stupor I realized it is a half-serious conclusion to my sole piece of fanfiction, for those keeping track. Whatev'.

Anyway, humanoid figures are my ancient art school nemesis, so I tried to keep things light and sketchy to hide my shortcomings as an illustrator. This time we’ll start with the visuals and the specs, just because you’re clearly going to look at that shit first anyway. Also, the actual Eva design is the least cracked-out part of the whole presentation.

No actual crack involved.

CAPABILITIES & PILOT
At one-fifth the size of a regular model, Unit-M is built specifically for counter-attacking. It is designed to be able to sit on another unit’s back, and when the larger unit takes a hit, that is when Unit-M springs into action (literally springing), attacking the enemy while it is occupied with the larger unit. Its light weight and powerful legs allow Unit-M to jump further than any other model, and its flexible armour allows for greater mobility and acrobatics. The talons on the "feet" are more for stability and climbing than violence. Thirty-metre-long ribbon-like progressive knives are coiled up within its armour, and can be deployed from its forearms or its wing-like shoulder features. The forearm ribbons are offensive, while the wing ribbons are mostly defensive, meaning any normal-size Eva gets a boost to its rear defences by carrying Unit-M. The principle drawback of such a light unit is that it is easily disabled by direct hits from upper-tier angels. For this reason, its pilot should go into battle assuming that any direct hits will cripple it, even though its size allows for quick regeneration. On the field, though, such regeneration can be useless if Unit-M gets pinned down. This unit is meant to work as part of a team. Instead of entering a plug, the pilot wades into an open pore full of LCL and enjoys an intimate bond with Unit-M, which allows for ultra-fast reflexes. Mmm.

The pilot is Asuka (and Asuka is enjoying a symbiotic relationship with whatever "piloted" Kali, the angel I designed) and this allows for her to be aggressive while also working alongside her love interest. For her, Unit-M is the perfect mixture of self-reliance (those prog-ribbons can slice and dice, let me tell you) and reliance (she needs Shinji to set up her counter-attack).

“ONE MORE FINALE”

Shinji rubbed his eyes. This was an Eva? Sure, he’d only been part of Nerv for a few weeks, but compared to his unit…

“Adorable,” purred Asuka, stalking up and down the floating platform that surrounded Unit-M. It was suspended waist-deep in the pinkish liquid, supported by a tangle of cords and tubes that extended off its back like wings. “The prog-ribbons are the best part, of course. When it isn't plugged in like this you can see their tips.”

Shinji swallowed. “Isn’t this, uh… a little small?” For some reason he was sure Asuka would rather die than face the angels in something so tiny. Well, it was four or five times taller than him, by the look of it, but compared to Unit-01…

The red-haired girl broke into uncontrollable laughter. “Are you… hold on a second.” She wiped away a tear. “You’re thinking about the magma incident, yes? Don’t worry, I still have more pride that you could handle.” She spread her arms, as if daring the robot to rise up and come to life. “Its attack capabilities far surpass anything your test-type could muster! Hell, even my precious Unit-02 is no match. It may be delicate, but do you really think I’d let anything hit me?” She winked at him over her shoulder. “I don’t stand around dumb-founded like you, baka.”

The way she belittled him, it seemed half serious. Wasn’t her tone a little warm to be calling him a moron?

“Oh?” She pivoted on her heel, hair whirling. “You’re getting all serious on me, aren’t you? I know, seeing the Evas makes me feel the same way.” She stepped right up to him, leaving him with nowhere to go but off the edge.

She grabbed his collar before he could escape. “Let’s have a seat.”

“Uh…” He could think of no reason to stay standing, and he was still a bit sleepy. He hadn’t used his legs for several days, after all.

He didn’t have a problem listening to her. It was nice to have someone act so unambiguous, even if she was possibly crazy. Was it okay if they both were? That seemed more and more likely.

“Hey, Asuka—”

“Shh,” she hissed. “Listen.”

So he did. The water—or whatever it was—lapped gently at Unit-M’s crimson armour, though it looked almost like a heavy fabric.

“Honestly,” she sighed, “you can’t focus on listening if you’re ogling my Eva.” She sniggered at that, as if he was missing some joke. Well, he probably was.

He lay back on the platform’s hard surface, his ears closer to the liquid. It reminded him of the sea, of lying on a beach.

Suddenly she was grabbing his arm and before he could protest she had pulled him right on top of her.

“We were like this,” she said, looking up at him, eyes half-closed. “I was making quite the face, but that’s understandable. I wasn’t feeling very well. That is, this body wasn’t… I suppose you could say.” She closed her eyes. “It’s complicated, but you’re a good enough listener that it shouldn’t matter. You’ll calmly sit through any bizarre conversation, won’t you?”

His face flushed. Though he pressed against the platform with his hands, trying to keep his distance, her legs were locked around his.

“It ended like this every time,” she said, “it didn’t matter which world I seeded. So long as both our seeds landed in the same place, it was inevitable. You could change the geography, but humanity? That was always the same. Well, you were a girl once, and a few times your name was different. One time you had glasses, too.”

What? It was too ridiculous to warrant a response. The heat in his face started to subside. The longer she held him, the less nervous he became, as if he was too tired to keep up that level of anxiety. Still, she was pretty, and she’d have no right to yell at him after.

She opened her eyes. “That’s why I started eating you. You’d choke her a bit, she’d touch you, and then I’d eat you.” She touched a finger to her lips. “I—Asuka, that is—never really appreciated that part. She’d freak out and I’d have to put her to sleep. It gave me hope for this relationship.”

This was getting weird, especially that he remembered choking her. “Uh, where do you think the others are?”

She smiled broadly. “Oh, we have this place to ourselves. The engineers aren’t coming round for another hour. But eating, that was key. That’s how you remember what your other selves did on those other worlds. After the first world, every seed I laid had your material inside it.” Her legs squeezed tighter and he gave up, lowering himself onto her. Her breasts… she definitely had foreign blood.

Was he on some kind of medication? He did just get out of the hospital, and no doctor had said he could leave…

“The first world was the worst,” she continued, running a hand through his hair. “I spent so long cultivating all of Seele’s bloodlines—Ikari, Lorenz, Nagisa—but I didn’t really consider human feelings enough. Keel was the worst. I didn’t foresee that he’d be jealous of his brother. Keel wanted to be the one that I fed upon. So while I was having lunch with said brother in Tokyo…ka-boom, the asshole drops a bomb on me. I spent the rest of that scenario as a shade, but Keel got his wish in the end. He tried to last as long as possible with all his stupid implants, which was kind of cute, now that I think about it. But that really set my scenario back. Without my guidance you lost your nerve and chose a bullshit, flawed version of existence. Even Kaworu was useless. Ugh, he always has such a shit-eating grin, just like his mother—you’ll see when he gets here. But it’s fine now! I’ve finally figured out how to make this work. You’re clearly not going to play dead this time around, which is wonderful. We just have to kill a bunch of monsters, take a bit of my seed and a bit of the other one, smoosh them together, and all’s good! I mean, the process can be just as fun as the end result. Piloting Unit-M and riding on your back while you’re in Unit-01, we’re going to be such a wonderful team. You can even fling me around or whatever, there’s a lot of potential. I think you’re really going to enjoy battle, get a little hot-blooded, you know? Happiness is a journey, right? I’m sure you’ll make the right choice this time.”

“The right choice?” He was definitely sedated. That was the only explanation. But she did feel nice, and she wasn’t getting mad. Didn’t that mean she was fine with it? If she thought he was being a pervert…

She nodded. “Long ago, on a world like this one, there were a bunch of asshole scientists who wanted to experience transcendence. I was one of their experiments. To make a long story short, all of our souls merged into one blissful, boring-as-hell super-soul, which they called the Communion, which is basically a euphemism. The terrible thing about being a cosmic deity is that the only conversations you can have are with other fragments of yourself, which is super predictable. I’ve had most of these conversations with the one who sent the seed that released all these space monsters we’re killing. So I want to leave that Communion and make my own, right here. Then there’ll be two cosmic deities, mine and hers, and maybe we can work from there. You know what I mean, right? It’s far nicer lying on top of me than moping about in your room listening to bad pop music, right?”

Shinji just nodded, smelling her hair. She really did smell good. Were they going to have sex now? She’d show him what to do, right? Well, he’d read about it once. Or twice. “Could we have a normal conversation?” he asked. “I really have no idea what you’re talking about.”

She sighed. “Let’s go see a movie then. Nerv has, like, five private cinemas. Like a date. You can hold my hand in the dark and I won’t yell at you.”

That seemed unambiguous enough. They got up and started walking for the exit. “Oh,” he said, “one more thing.”

“Hmm?”

“When you say eating, that’s…a turn of phrase?”

She grabbed him by the hand. “Geez, don’t get cold feet on me now. You’ve bajillions of years of experience. You’re wonderful, trust me.”

For some reason he did.

FIN!

Great job, though I would cut down on all of those drug references: Drugs are bad for you, mmkay?

Next time: NemZ

Don't miss it!

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:28 am

I think Asuka put it best, "Adorable". My only complaint is that I think that the tactical benefits of a mini Eva could have been touched upon more. The actual story elements were good, I especially liked super-flirt Asuka.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:21 am

A little imp-like mini eva is such an awesome but simple idea I can't believe I've never seen it used before. Just too unintuitive when placed in the trappings of a giant robot show, perhaps? Regardless, this is a keeper for sure.

Oh Shinji, you poor doomed bastard... :harpy_liplick:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Me no understandz :(
Asuka/Shinji are aliens/first ancestral race thingies? :shrug:

*AHEM! Can't help but make the following observations...I feel that this is an awesome Eva; very cool, but let's look at it a little more objectively...*

And what about the actual combat potential of a tiny, ~7.2-9 meters tall Eva? (Assuming Shinji is ~ 1.8 m.s tall, and he said that Unit M was ~ 4-5 times taller.) Its muscular system might be powerful, but the entire unit doesn't necessarily have the mass it takes to give a powerful strike. A punch against an angel, for example, will only make Unit-M bounce off. The Prog-Ribbons looks pretty damn thin. What kind of material are they made out of to offer such slicing power even with the vibration, unless they're heated (Gundam's Heat Rods?) or are supposed to wrap around and then cinch tight to cut through? (How about snapping out and stabbing through an Angel's eyes? Sounds good?) Also, they seem pretty hard to use. Who's to say it won't cut Unit 01 or Unit M itself by accident? Are they weighed at the tip for easier use? Looking at Zeurel, it's logical to assume that Angels may have physical armor strong enough to resist N2 Mines. If nukes can't break it, how's a thin, metal ribbon going to hurt it? And it'll have to be thin; metal's not flexible, and you can't make an anti-Angel weapon out of less strong materials. From what I've read, I'd put it out as a skirmisher/guerrilla/distraction rather as serious, heavy counter-attack. Reverse the roles; the fast Unit-M bounces around and catches the Angel's attention while Unit 01 takes, oh, maybe a bazooka or ax and deliver a massive coup de grace that does critical, heavy damage to the Angel. Alternatively, I'd put it to use rescuing downed pilots, parachuting out of the sky, running back and forth bringing ammo and fresh weapons/equipment/fighting street-to-street with a long-ranged weapon, but I don't think that it will work well as a frontal-assault counterattacker. Better use it for sneaky attacks or, as you said, watching someone's back.
Oh, and how is it powered? Miniature S2 Engine? I think the battery would last much longer, though, since it's so small and requires less energy to run, (Look at those miniature whachamacallit cars; they have awesome gas milage because of their small engines.) so there's an awesome buff.

Looking now at cost: a custom Eva requires custom maintenance, custom weapons, custom training for both pilot and support staff, downsized transport vehicles and custom facility. Money for these things are not unlimited. Every armament building would have to be modified to accommodate small-sized weapons for this Eva, and it won't be compatible with existing equipment from other Evas. So everything has to be made from scratch. That's another huge budget increase for Nerv, and more :asuka_miffed: from taxpayers. (And less votes for government officials who support Nerv; even Seele and Nerv can't simply take over the world and rule its financial system. Everything about municipal government is based on happy people who continue to pay taxes to run the government.) Mass production of more or less identical and hardware-compatible units are always more financially feasible in the long run.

Okay, I'm rambling again, wtf? Good one anyway; I give it 8.9/10. It's a good storyline.

PS: And Chowow, THANK YOU!

Okay, I'mma just say that my Unit 04 HTCP has been edited to make it more realistic. Please check back on page 28 and re-read the History/Description sections ^_^ it's not super-uber-overpowered anymore

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments. ^_^

I assume the ribbons are made out of futuristic space metal. The Evageeks wiki says prog-knives can cut shit at the molecular level. Sounds good to me. With the right whipping motion the ribbons could probably go pretty fast and pierce stuff.

To be honest, my interest in the franchise has never extended to the technobabble (which exists to serve the story, anyway). Presumably the geniuses at Nerv can make Unit-M do whatever. "Future space science" is my mantra.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:58 pm

O-chan's Eva gets high marks as well, 9/10.

It's certainly one of the more unique designs, though ideally more detail could have been given as to the actual specs of the Eva.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:59 pm

I see tehprognoob is trying to outdo me. Personally, I think its just fine concept wise (the story, well, meh). "Little" is relative here, and technically Eva's are too big to be realistic biologically. But that's one of the central conceits of the series, that somehow giant cybernetic humanoids are the most powerful weapons man has ever created. True, the blades will be fragile compared to the giant prog knife an ordinary Eva uses, especially if its made out of plastic. But hey, they will be sharp. The real question is how it stores them-- I'm imaginging Sulu's folding katana from Star Trek 9, though that's quite an impressive technology to imitate in 2015.

In combat it probably handles like a cat. Ever tried fighting a cat? Don't think it can't hurt you just because its less than half your size. They've got a lot more muscle pound for pound than you do, not counting the claws. Counting the claws? Yeah, don't fight an angry cat.

And cost? Its an Evangelion. Money obviously isn't an issue to megamaniacal religious NWO weirdos (Seele), and pilots already take tons of training. The real issue is finding pilots, and orphans too are obviously in no short supply. In the real world, no less. Actually, that's one of the few questions I have about it: its supposed to be piloted by Asuka, and her mother's soul is in Unit 02. Did Nerv move her to Unit M? Or does it just not matter because of oOoOoOo's new timeline involving Kali?

Anyway, all I have to say is that the second drawing gave me the mental image of a Diclonius riding a Hill Giant into battle. That would be awesome. Too awesome.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:34 pm

I like that you guys are coming up with so many uses for my Eva. That's what's interesting to me about creating things: the way the audience interprets it all.

The narrative implies this, but a member of the FAR* is hitching a ride on Kali and enters Asuka when Unit-02 makes the killing blow. The many arms reach around and make contact. So now Asuka isn't really Asuka, so Unit-M wouldn't need anybody's mom. Or, you could interpret it as the FAR entering Unit-M while Asuka's inside, yet still possessing Asuka. "Asuka" projects her "essence" into Unit-M. You could also assume that "Asuka" would be able to mindfuck people into doing what she wants. You could also assume that Unit-M is custom-made for "Asuka" because the being inhabiting her seems to have sway over Seele. Or you could say that Shinji isn't even awake right now. Or whatever sounds coolest to you, the audience. My vaguery is on purpose, but also the by-product of my herbal writing assistant.

And my presentation mentions the ribbons are stored coiled up when they're not brandished.

And the second drawing is the one I'm most happy with. ^_^

* The fanfiction I linked to describes how this being causes the "accident" that brings two seeds to the same world, and then founded Seele as part of a plan to create a second "FAR" through instrumentality. At least, that's what was floating around in my head when I sat down to write. That connection wasn't part of my original plan. Partway through my angel write-up I realized I was thinking of that other fanfiction.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Ophelia, the angel reminds me of a Persona boss and the Eva gives me very Xenogearsy vibes. I dig it.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Ah, Zappy-kun I can totally see that now, on both counts! Eeeee, that makes me happy.

Also, Nemzie-kun, I've noticed you are a long-time fan of my obsession with eating people. Rwar~

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:16 pm

oOoOoOo wrote:And the second drawing is the one I'm most happy with. ^_^

Actually, I meant the third (the one with the Eva riding an Eva). Though the first drawing is really more of a sketch anyway.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:32 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Also, Nemzie-kun, I've noticed you are a long-time fan of my obsession with eating people. Rwar~

Not the eating people exactly... just the whole funky vibe of a rather bored space goddess playing with her creations in whatever way she deems appropriate at the time. Conversation, unspeakable brutality, sex, emotional manipulation, canibalism, etc.

I get the feeling that any dolls you grew up with ended up headless and on fire at some point. ^_^
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

Micah, Angel of the Divine Plan

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:38 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:
View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Also, Nemzie-kun, I've noticed you are a long-time fan of my obsession with eating people. Rwar~

Not the eating people exactly... just the whole funky vibe of a rather bored space goddess playing with her creations in whatever way she deems appropriate at the time. Conversation, unspeakable brutality, sex, emotional manipulation, canibalism, etc.

I get the feeling that any dolls you grew up with ended up headless and on fire at some point. ^_^

Ok, that's enough of that. Now for something somewhat different!

August 22
Image NemZ

NemZ wrote:General Data:
Name: Micah, Angel of the Divine Plan
Size: ~5cm^3
Class Rank: D
Type: Infiltrator / Cultural Saboteur / Assassin

References:
http://www.joylina.com/about-the-angels/about-the-angels/archangel-micah.html
http://www.drstandley.com/angels_micah.shtml
(…and many others that were even less detailed)

Characterization:
Micah is a curious but detached observer, every bit as motivated to reclaim the planet as her siblings but more cautious and deliberate in her approach. She is quite similar to Arael or Tabris, though where they are curious about psychology or culture Micah is concerned with the Lilim from a sociological perspective; specifically, she views Lilim as a single being in many bodies, a colony. Micah approaches her foe with cautious contempt, seeking the precise manner to deliver a killing blow against the unfathomably large, potentially quite dangerous thing.

Physical Description:
Micah has chosen to manifest in the shape of a warped equilateral triangular prism, the base and top rotated 60 degrees relative to each other. Her spherical core is centered within herself, but is slightly too large to be completely contained and thus is partially exposed on each face. Her geometric frame is translucent and partially reflective, a smooth material of a rich warm grey, thus appearing as a pale orange where it reflects the faint glow of her core.

Flat view:

One of her previous Lilim subjects of study took the liberty to adorn Micah with a framework of silver filigree which enables her to be worn as a pendant on any suitable chain, offset with a secondary accent stone. It would be trivially easy to remove this decorative binding but Micah has yet to see a reason to do so. In fact she is darkly amused to be so proudly displayed by the ignorant beast she intends to eradicate.

Perspective view with Lillim decorations:

Abilities:
Micah’s defining talent is to synchronize her ATF with others nondestructively, enabling her to sense the emotional connections between individuals and to project her awareness along this invisible network of soul tethers. Stronger bonds enable her mind to flow further and wider out into the pattern, though even with an exceptional host she is limited to three steps away from the first, her current host. Physical distance has negligible effect on the ability; rather it is the relative strength of the connection that primarily limits the clarity of her perceptions.

This ability carries with it two side effects. First, emotional bonds that she projects upon extensively cause the connected individuals to subconsciously direct their thoughts towards each other, amplifying that bond. If the bond is a positive one, this tends to bring linked individuals together, creating opportunity for all sorts of apparently serendipitous coincidences. Negative bonds are more likely to drive the linked individuals into increasingly serious conflicts, the slightest provocations taken as ever stronger justifications for accelerating strife.

Secondly, the subjects being channeled through become consciously inclined towards large-scale thinking, more readily perceiving patterns in their own lives, and often eventually driving them to see connections beyond those that actually exist. Thus those who host Micah tend to eventually fall into disturbed mindsets conductive to paranoia, conspiracy theories, racial/political/national/religious collectivism, delusions of grandeur, and often experience hallucinations which the subject rationalizes to reinforce their misguided beliefs.

These effects combine to lead the subject to vastly broaden and reinforce their connections to others, usually in opposition to some other perceived group. Thus as Micah is passed from one host for the next, always seeking those more critically important in the vast Lilim structure, she leaves behind a wake of tense social situations. If a host seems especially important to the larger network she usually eliminates it after sufficient study, which often is the final push needed to throw the former hosts’ following into utter chaos and elevating the host to a sort of martyrdom.

Micah does not create these feelings or complexes nor does she care to understand them, but merely amplifies whatever connections or tendencies are already present. Thus someone who is either already very emotionally open will be largely unaffected by the bond amplification, and those who already are committed strongly to some cause or reject all such thoughts will be largely immune to additional pattern-seeking thoughts. Subjects possessing one or both of these traits are less useful for furthering Micha’s information gathering, but make up for this with a lessened risk that her influence on others through the host will be noticed.

Defense:
Compared to the other angels Micah is hopelessly vulnerable. Her core is almost completely exposed, she possesses nothing in the way of armor, has no limbs with which to engage in any sort of physical struggle and her ATF is even weaker than Matarael’s. When in need of a serious defense she uses multiple overlapping barriers set at refractory angles to deflect and disperse force rather than bluntly defy it. Any true threat would be able to overcome this multilayered wall with a moderately sustained attempt and even Lilim-scaled assault weaponry delivered from multiple angles could potentially overwhelm her.

Because of her extreme weakness, the most reliable defenses she possess are to avoid detection in the first place (thus she remains completely inert most of the time) and simply running away. Luckily she is capable of wingless flight with great agility and speed. She is not fast enough to outrun high velocity rounds but reacts quickly enough to avoid an incoming burst of which she is aware.

Offense:
Micah’s chief ability to inflict physical harm on others is through using her AT field in a knife-like fashion, often releasing bursts of overlapping hexagonal planes at once to effectively mimic a blender. The effect is useful for removing individual Lilim or physical objects, but is useless against a target with the ability to project an AT field in response, especially considering that such small areas of damage would be little more than an annoyance to nearly all worthy targets.

Micah is only capable of using this ability within a distance of ~16 meters. She is not able to use it while projecting her awareness through the Lillim network, so any assassination attempts must be up close and personal.

History:
Micah was a very early riser by angel standards, becoming active as early as 2012 in the Southern Atlantic Ocean. Her first encounter with Lilim was with a relief ship bringing supplies to South American survivors of 2I still clinging to their homelands. Her first experimentations with these strange, puny beings were rather uninteresting, leading only to small isolated clumps of survivors who were driven into apocalyptic cults and underground markets that are still so common as to attract no meaningful notice.

The aid workers had hinted and links to a much larger system, and so she abandoned these refugees and came into the possession of a relief worker who mistook her for a crystalline piece of the “2I meteor”. After reaching North America she branched out through various social circles, occasionally using her abilities to protect a particularly interesting host she wasn’t yet finished using. In the process she has inspired attempted social revolutions, crackpot research groups, outpourings of fundamentalist religious fervor, extremist political think-tanks, corruption scandals, cults, outlandish robbery attempts, mob action and terrorism.

In building an ever more complicated map of the Lilim, Micah has begun to notice an interesting pattern: those individuals that act as major hubs often seem to be linked not only in tight mesh amongst each other, but also to some extremely reclusive individuals. Though she has yet to reach close enough to these individuals to project through them, she has seen several such cases, and in a few cases multiple big players that link to the same outliers. She is beginning to suspect that these oddities may actually be the equivalent the Lilim core, separated from the rest of the species in a defensive manner as if they are aware of her presence amongst them. If she could reach these beings and dispose of them one by one, might the entire colony die or be rendered harmless?

Combat strategy:
What, you mean against one of those big Eva things? Does “run away and hide” count?

Failing that, Micah will use her speed and maneuverability to try to get under the monster’s armor then burrow through its flesh until it finds a core. This is purely a desperation ploy however, one quite unlikely to accomplish anything unless one of the pilots foolishly drops the AT field.

Designer:
NemZ

Next time, we will have NemZ's Eva entry.

Ugh, just have to endure this a little longer...
Last edited by Chowwow on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:44 am

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:...Communion...
I probably should just take the time to write a decent post but I just had to jump in here. I love how you tied it into a much larger world, and had it add to it. The art also happens to play right into the other elements and it all just seems so vivid, the Unit-M drawings look like something I'd see in a museum.

It's also really interesting how composites are a constant theme here: Kali is very eclectic in it's influences There's a Dharmic influence in adition to the Abrahamic, which fits right in with "Communion", Unit-M looks as if it could be a child of Kyoko and the Harpies partly because it’s plumage and animalistic look(Asukael was right about it being oddly adorable), And then there’s Kali-Asuka/Lunasuka(?) who’s communed very much seems like Asuka(at least if Asuka were a immortal seed of life that feeds on others), in personality but none of that really goes against Luna’s character being apparent so it very much does look like a seamless mix, and plays right into the human god idea from “Communion”. I love all of it, also the “you were a girl once” part got me, especially in how it’s just nonchalantly included in a set of other even more unbelievable stuff for Shin.
View Original PostNemZ wrote:Oh Shinji, you poor doomed bastard... :harpy_liplick:
He doesn't seem to mind too much though, even if he tries to act like a prude. Seeing as how being eaten and recycled really isn't that bad there's probably not too much to loose.
Also don't you think it's kind of funny that (Lun)Asuka is the one eating people now when she's normaly on the other end of the formula.
Last edited by Synapsid on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Return to “Fan Works”