Unit-01 and its horn

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Super Chris
Embryo

Unit-01 and its horn

•      
  •      

Postby Super Chris » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:29 pm

First, I'd like to preface this by saying that I am well aware that the Eva were designed to look like Oni. The tone I intend to put across is one of, "Well that's an interesting coincidence."

I've been trying to get my parents recently to get into Anime (successfully, too!) and so whenever I visit I bring some along, and I just finished watching Evangelion with my mother. Being a literature major, and being particularly interested in religious symbolism, she pointed out a lot of interesting, new things to me. There was a bunch of fairly minor things, but the major thing that stood out to me regarded Unit-01 and it's having a horn.

Specifically, that having one great horn sticking out of it's forehead makes Unit-01 representative of a unicorn, and in medieval literature, unicorns were used as symbols of Christ; of course, drawing the comparison of Shinji and Unit-01 as being the series' savior allegory. Seems to me to be an accurate comparison.

I'm quite sure that when Unit-01 was designed (it was Sadamoto who designed it, right?) they did not have this symbolism in mind; like I said, I'm well aware that the Evas are supposed to look like Oni. But I also find it interesting, then, that in Rebuild Unit-06 also has a horn, since it's pretty well a given that Kaworu will pilot it, and Kaworu is the series' other savior figure.
This is a signature. A better one will come sometime later.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:22 pm

Credit for Eva designs go for Anno himself and above all Ikuto Yamashita.

in b4 "OBVIOUSLY phallic symbol" pic is posted :wink:

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:40 pm

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4875/1181708881954ab8.jpg

also
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:14 pm

slothen wrote:http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4875/1181708881954ab8.jpg
That is awesome. Saved.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:25 pm

@Slothen: WIN

I read somewhere that Anno just wanted it to look evil, like a devil (oni).
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:00 pm

The head design is more like a ceratopsian dinosaur than a unicorn.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:31 pm

Undoubtedly one of the greatest Eva images ever. Props to whomever thought of that.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Super Chris
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Chris » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:46 am

Sachi_13 wrote:@Slothen: WIN

I read somewhere that Anno just wanted it to look evil, like a devil (oni).

As I mentioned, I realize this, I just found it to be an interesting coincidence. And even moreso that the analogy could also, now, be applied to Unit-06. One thing that has always impressed me about Eva is that, despite how much pointless religious symbolism they threw in, just how much of it they still got right, even if some of that is by accident.
This is a signature. A better one will come sometime later.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:21 pm

There is also:

and this: http://www.gainax.co.jp/gallery/0256.html

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:21 pm

not quite as awesome
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:22 am

The horn houses a radio antenna - it's only after the horn goes under during the episode with Leliel does NERV lose radio contact with Shinji. EVA-00 also has a radome and radio dish on it's head - the production models intended for combat from EVA-02 onwards don't seem to have any of this equipment on the outside of them at least.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:59 am

That reminds me...the new design for EVA-02 in Rebuild has two oni-esque horn-like protrusions from its head as well.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:51 am

Your avatar just reminded me that there is a spirit in Japanese folklore that has one eye - I think I remember reading about it on this site http://www.obakemono.com/ when I was looking for owlman-type parallels across the world. There was some manga that had it as one of the main characters as well iirc.

bioweapon680
Adam

Re: Unit-01 and its horn

•      
  •      

Postby bioweapon680 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Super Chris wrote:First, I'd like to preface this by saying that I am well aware that the Eva were designed to look like Oni. The tone I intend to put across is one of, "Well that's an interesting coincidence."

I've been trying to get my parents recently to get into Anime (successfully, too!) and so whenever I visit I bring some along, and I just finished watching Evangelion with my mother. Being a literature major, and being particularly interested in religious symbolism, she pointed out a lot of interesting, new things to me. There was a bunch of fairly minor things, but the major thing that stood out to me regarded Unit-01 and it's having a horn.

Specifically, that having one great horn sticking out of it's forehead makes Unit-01 representative of a unicorn, and in medieval literature, unicorns were used as symbols of Christ; of course, drawing the comparison of Shinji and Unit-01 as being the series' savior allegory. Seems to me to be an accurate comparison.

I'm quite sure that when Unit-01 was designed (it was Sadamoto who designed it, right?) they did not have this symbolism in mind; like I said, I'm well aware that the Evas are supposed to look like Oni. But I also find it interesting, then, that in Rebuild Unit-06 also has a horn, since it's pretty well a given that Kaworu will pilot it, and Kaworu is the series' other savior figure.

I thought the EVA just had to look like it had an ominous, uncontrollable dark side besides just being a combat exoskeleton. The eyes already give this effect when they black out sometimes or when they get wider than normal. Note the shadow effect in the animations when it is at rest. Looks kinda freaky to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0aQB4rNV_w Read the vid description b4 watching

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:30 pm

@ Ornette:

That's my picture. :smirk:

What's the context for the Eva at Work image? Hm?

Whatever the source, it's a beautiful and striking design. :thumbsup:
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:55 pm

I should get those Newtype USA Scans (not transcripts but SCANS ooh) up sometime next week; its mentioned in one of the issues. Basically, this one was an Eva at Work project based on Noh (I believe, given that's where the Rebuild title names come from) theater that decpits Yui/Eva-01 throughout the series.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:58 am

I still think that Unit-01 looks silly with that horn and its color of purple, green, and orange. I hate how popular Unit-01 is with fans. It's treated like it can beat anything in the world, but that really isn't true. Call the Ideon and then we'll see how powerful it is. Unit-01 can be scary sometimes when its showing it's teeth, howling like a wolf, and only having bits of his armor on, but, most of time, I can't take it really serious.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:56 am

Zuggy wrote:The horn houses a radio antenna - it's only after the horn goes under during the episode with Leliel does NERV lose radio contact with Shinji. EVA-00 also has a radome and radio dish on it's head - the production models intended for combat from EVA-02 onwards don't seem to have any of this equipment on the outside of them at least.

No, Unit 01's horn is a horn. In EoE, right before Gendo is tangified, he is shown being held in an armorless Unit 01's fist, about to be devoured. The armor horn simply covers a real biological horn.

Also, the word "horn" is used six times in this post.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:26 am

Vegeta 20XX wrote:No, Unit 01's horn is a horn. In EoE, right before Gendo is tangified, he is shown being held in an armorless Unit 01's fist, about to be devoured. The armor horn simply covers a real biological horn.

Also, the word "horn" is used six times in this post.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

swamp147
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby swamp147 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:03 pm

Can't tell if it's a biological horn or if it's part of the armor.

Also, in the NGE opening, isn't there a really quick flash of an armorless Shogouki without a horn? At least I assume it's Shogouki because of the eyes.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”