What do you watch with? (Dub or Sub?)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Belzebub
Embryo

What do you watch with? (Dub or Sub?)

•      
  •      

Postby Belzebub » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:25 pm

Ok... well let me start by saying that my friend here has been complaining that I do not post enough so I had done some looking but couldn't find any topic that interested me so I made a new one. Yes isn't it what any of us would do....

This is all beside the point... and well the point of this is: Do you watch Evangelion in English or do you watch Evangelion in Japanese with English subtitles? And why do you watch it like that?

Well like any good leader you must first be a follower and in this case I must first answer my own question... so here goes...

I watch Evangelion in Japanese with English subtitles, because of:

1) You are more active will watching it by reading, listening and watching vs. just watching and listening.

2) The voices are better in the Japanese version. I HATE THE GOD DAMN AMERICAN DUBS! They are normally rednecks/cowboys AHHH they destroy the god damn experience.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:52 pm

I watch the dubs thank you very much. :roll:

I'm not the kind of person that can sit and read a subtitled show very long.

The only time i buckel down and watch subs are fan subs that havn't been dubed yet.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Tabris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabris » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:16 pm

I can happily watch both; which one I do depends on my mood. Although the English dub of Eva is IMO pretty good, I prefer the Japanese. Many of the literal meanings of lines in the show are subtly different between the two, and I prefer to get as close to the original meaning as possible by watching the Japanese.
"One day I would learn how to laugh. Pablo was waiting for me, and Mozart too."

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:37 pm

I usually watch and anime dubbed first, and then switch to the subs. That way if I miss something written on the bottom of the screen I still know what happened. Personally though I think the dubs for Eva are good, and I like the VA's they picked for the parts.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:42 pm

Japanese, Japanese, and more Japanese. I listened to the dubs once when I wanted something playing in the background, and it was a very disconcerting experience, by and by. There were a couple of memorable moments (mostly involving Toji, for whatever reason), but it failed for me far, far more than it succeeded. Reichu will accept no substitutes; give me the real thing!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:56 pm

The only good thing about the dub:

Touji: "IIIIIIIIIIIIII don't know!"

I hate all dubs. I just do. I didn't even like the idea of Roberto Benigni dubbing his own character in Life Is Beautiful. It's very unartistic. But then I guess I just like to read. Hell, I watch American moves with subtitles.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:09 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:I watch American moves with subtitles.

Weirdo. :P

As weird as it may sound. I've never actually watched Eva in its entirety in the original Japanese. :shifty:

I got into Eva right off the bat, when I was first getting into anime, and it was the first series I collected. This was about 5-6 years back, so it was still in the days of VHS tapes. Eva hadn't even made it to DVD, and I was a young and foolish anime fan, and bought it in dubbed format. I have since come to regret that. I hate dubs with a passion, but despite that, I don't mind the dub of Eva. They may be the scum of acting, but after hearing them for so long its become natural to me.

Now that I have the whole series of Eva, (between Platinum 1-4, the movies on DVD, the DCs and volume 6 of the original DVD release) I'm going to sit down and watch the whole thing subbed once I get back to school and get my hands on my DVDs.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:41 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Hexon.Arq wrote:I watch American moves with subtitles.

Weirdo. :P

Hexon is not the only one. :D

As weird as it may sound. I've never actually watched Eva in its entirety in the original Japanese. :shifty:

A true fan you are not!

I hate dubs with a passion, but despite that, I don't mind the dub of Eva. They may be the scum of acting, but after hearing them for so long its become natural to me.

With proper training, you will learn to hate it, grasshopper.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:26 pm

Well, if its any consolation I've lost any and all respect for the English cast that I might have still had, thanks to the Platinum audio commentary.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:40 pm

Ho come on monkey if anyting tiffany grants comentary was funny as hell! :lol:

You people think dubs are bad they've been a lot worse trust me i've got a first genteration dub of the macross movie that will make your ears bleed.

Dubs in general have come a long way since the start of anime in this country. Princess Mononoke for example is what you get when you dub great work with great english VA's .

Now between these two extrems ( first gen dub of macross & Princess Mononoke ) we have the Eva dub.

The series was done fine though i'll admit it took every one an ep to " get into character" by the end every one was on the mark.

EoE and huga's extreamly late life voice change im going to add to my pile of complaints agains manga entertainment.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:47 pm

Tiffany Grant + her obsession with her character Asuka = SOMEBODY SHOOT HER.

I like subtitles for most things because it's genuine to the artist's intent. Altering one's work makes me a little sad.... :(

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:32 am

Princess Mononoke for example is what you get when you dub great work with great english VA's .

Newp, the Mononoke dub sucked, too. (Except maybe for Billy Bob. I haven't seen it in a long time.)

Well, if its any consolation I've lost any and all respect for the English cast that I might have still had, thanks to the Platinum audio commentary.

Excellent. :twisted: *taps fingertips together*

_get some help

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:16 am

well i don't have a problem..i can watch both of them..i believe that english voice cast team has made a great work(only thing that bothers me,sometimes Ritsuko,i don't know the way she shouts or something,but on the other hand Tiffany Grant and Alisson Shipp.i love them ^_^ ),Japanese voices are still the best!

so most of the times Japanese for me..they absolutely rock!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Belzebub
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Belzebub » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:27 am

Power to the Japanese and the subs!!!!!

As stated many time before i to have lost all interest in the English Dubs and will never find the interest again.

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:47 pm

I like the Dub's. I mean I watched it sub-ed, (well the first 17 eps. anyway) but, english, being the language I know, It just seems more natural for them to speak it. And the commentary, while it isn't great, it's better to have it then to not. But there are also some really weird lines, like when Shinji tells Rei that she'd make a good mother. I understand what it was all about, but i can only think that shiji was making a clumsy come-on. And then it's just weird. Man Eva's weird.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:28 pm

There's just something about watching a cartoon where you hear some of the whitest-sounding people throwing around Japanese names like petals at a wedding that's, I dunno, disconcerting. I'll admit, the Eva dub doesn't really suffer from this (except for the use of "Kwaroo"), but most every other instance is just laughable.

_get some help

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:18 pm

As one of the first anime series I watched (second after DP Flash, where the dubs translated cultural references and the subs didn't), I actually watched Eva in both, looking for differences between the spoken and dubbed English; and I really don't have any particular feeling for one or the other set of VAs.

It wasn't until later, when I started watching Noir, and couldn't stand the USAn mispronunciation of French (and the USAn accents) that I switched over to sub-only.

These days, having picked up a smattering of Japanese from context in the subs, I couldn't imagine doing anything else. English loses nigh-all the social subtext implicit in the use of honorifics. Though this is less of an issue in Eva, in series like Utena where even the subtitles flatten -san and -sama into "Miss", the story just wouldn't be the same without the native language channel.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:13 pm

Even without being terribly knowledgable of Japanese, there are other things to be picked up on aside from the honorifics: Personal pronouns (the various "I"s and "you"s), forms of speech (various shades of formal and casual, along with dialects), and other stuff that just doesn't translate, like "senpai". I can't really understand why some people prefer dubs on the basis of being "an English-speaker"; getting exposed to a different language and all the culture inherent is part of the fun!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:39 am

If only there was someone to beam the subs directly into the viewers heads, it's a real pain having to split your attention between what's going on and what the characters are saying. Me? I takes it anyway I can gets it.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Tabris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabris » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:17 am

I've watched it so many times I know the gist without the subs. :wink:
"One day I would learn how to laugh. Pablo was waiting for me, and Mozart too."

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”