Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:17 pm

Not sure which exact scene, but apparently something in Ground Zeroes was censored in Japan (I'd assume it's one of 2 possible scenes). Can't say I'm surprised, considering how super-serious this game gets. A few of the side missions have funny moments, at least.

If you didn't play Peace Walker, the game does brings you up to speed on the plot.

I found the ending of The Last of Us to be darker than Ground Zeroes, but that's just personal opinion. Looking forward(?) to Phantom Pain, hope it'll be out sooner than later.

...Though it's still weird not hearing David Hayter's voice.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 pm

If you consider the ending of The Last of Us darker, Ground Zeroes must be for puppies.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:34 am

You people and your talking of games I don't have room on my docket for and the way it makes me want to get the game at full price just to have it now rather than later!

How long has it been taking people to get through Ground Zeroes, anyway?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:53 am

The first time, I really took my time to be cautious and explore, and that took about 2 hours. Now I can speed through it in about 20 or 30. The bonus missions added another 2 or so. If you play at a moderate to fast pace, there's about 3 or 4 hours in there (total), but only an hour or so of the story mission. You can explore or speedrun at your own pace, and there are lots of trials and a higher difficulty to unlock.

Also, I just found out there's a Ground Zeroes app. You can use your smartphone or tablet as a map and menu screen when you play the game. It functions just like your iDroid. I'll have to try playing with it tomorrow and see how it is.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:If you consider the ending of The Last of Us darker, Ground Zeroes must be for puppies.

"Darker" meaning no traces of hope left (e.g. ending in The Last of Us). At least with Ground Zeroes, I think there's still some form of hope
Character  SPOILER: Show
Paz didn't give up hope despite the horrible shit she had to endure (rape, torture, and in the ending, on the spot surgery to remove one of her bombs),
even that scumbag Skull Face mentions people can't live without hope in one of the audio tapes.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:32 pm

How is there no hope left in Last of Us?

SPOILER: Show
Yeah, a vaccine wasn't made, but that's subsidiary to the father/daughter theme with them finally finding peace in a colony. Hell, there may be someone who is going to find a cure without cracking up a kid's skull. I would consider it dark had Joel sacrificed Ellie.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:40 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:How is there no hope left in Last of Us?

Last of Us Ending  SPOILER: Show
Joel killed everybody at the hospital as insurance they wouldn't go after Ellie. Joel then lied to Ellie about what happened--not a good basis for their relationship--and she's aware of it. And while I agree with Joel saving Ellie (not with him killing everybody at the hospital), who knows how long humanity has left without the vaccine?

___

Watched the E3 Phantom Pain trailer last night. Looks like it's gonna be an amazing game, can't wait for it.

And apparently, Ground Zeroes has a day/night cycle too? Didn't notice that.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:58 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
Last of Us Ending  SPOILER: Show
Joel killed everybody at the hospital as insurance they wouldn't go after Ellie. Joel then lied to Ellie about what happened--not a good basis for their relationship--and she's aware of it. And while I agree with Joel saving Ellie (not with him killing everybody at the hospital), who knows how long humanity has left without the vaccine?

Honestly? Fuck the Fireflies. They were a ragtag group who experimented on others before and failed every time. The likelihood that the experiment could have failed and Ellie would have died pointlessly, or even if a vaccine was to be created and the Fireflies would only use it for their own interests made Joel's actions completely justified. They were just as shady as everyone else Joel had encountered. Yeah, Ellie is aware about Joel bullshitting her, but she is buying it because she wants to. She understands and will thank him when she gets a little bit older.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:53 am

^ I concur.

At the very least there is hope that one day they'll be able to make a vaccine without killing Ellie, or maybe Ellie will (maybe, in light of the Left Behind DLC) pass on the gene to her descendants, which would revitalise the human race, albeit at an extraordinarily slow rate.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 am

Just finished the main mission:

Damn, talk about a low blow, I was really looking foward to see what the interactions with PaZ would be like and instead I get this.

Hideo Kojima, you bastard.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:13 am

How long is Ground Zeroes, anyway? Is it just sneaking into Camp Omega and getting back out?

And I'm nothing like you

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:33 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:
Damn, talk about a low blow, I was really looking foward to see what the interactions with PaZ would be like and instead I get this.

Hideo Kojima, you bastard.

Sweet or sour?

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:45 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:How long is Ground Zeroes, anyway? Is it just sneaking into Camp Omega and getting back out?

Generally, people report it taking 1hr30min to 2hrs. There have been speedruns of people doing it in 6min though.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:58 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:
Sweet or sour?

Huh? I have no idea about what you are asking.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:31 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Huh? I have no idea about what you are asking.

You haven't heard the tapes?

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:55 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:You haven't heard the tapes?

No, only the briefing ones. I haven´t had that much time to play yet.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Oh, God, the tapes... Well, one in particular is extremely :yuck: Like I wrote back here:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Not sure which exact scene, but apparently something in Ground Zeroes was censored in Japan (I'd assume it's one of 2 possible scenes). Can't say I'm surprised

Initially I thought maybe

Don't read if you don't want any  SPOILER: Show
part of the surgery scene was censored but now I'm thinking it had to have been part of tape 4. Tape 4's rape sequence was disgusting to me, definitely fast forwarded through that one. The tape has a discussion going on here. I totally understand they wanted to show just what a sick son of a bitch Skull Face really is, as well as war atrocities in general, but... :urk:

I'm dreading yet interested in finding out just what happened to make Big Boss finally lose his shit and "go heel" in Phantom Pain.

By the way, for those who never checked out the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, do yourself a favor and do so. The story in the second one really starts to get interesting.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:09 pm

I don't shy away from certain things most people can't stand so I read SSD's spoiler and was like "whoa" then clicked the link to the topic and just sort of skimmed the first post trying not to take in too much and was like "WHOA". Pretty sure that's never been done in a video game before.

But now I wish I hadn't read the first post of that topic because now I've been spoiled. :( I was for some reason expecting that the incident in question wouldn't involve pre-established characters and so it wouldn't really be a spoiler but oh, does it.

Hrm, seriously reconsidering my reticence against d--

Welp, went and bought it and downloaded it, cuz I just have to hear this for myself at this point. :lol: The best way to deal with a shock like this is to confront the game head-on and experience it all as soon as possible before the fact of what I've heard has a chance to settle in. NO CONTEMPLATION, ACT NOW!

EDIT: Aaand I'm done with it. What SSD said and what that topic she linked to in her spoiler box revealed are far less disturbing and dismaying to me (on their own, at least) compared to the fact that
Multiple major Ground Zeroes ending  SPOILER: Show

Paz died. From that bomb in her vagina, of all things. That is truly horrifying. The torture, the rape... Those pale in comparison. Knowing that this is how Paz's story ends? That's truly the worst. Obviously it wouldn't have been as bad without the suffering beforehand, but the death is what seals it. Suffering is one thing, but Paz was young, and as long as she was alive (and not, like, a complete vegetable or anything) there could still have been hope. But death? Death is the ultimate tragedy.

So it looks like I'll need to hunt down all the tapes to find what I'm looking for -- all I got was the one that's provided automatically. This talk of tape 4 has me intrigued. Call it morbid curiosity.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:39 am

^I already read most of the spoilers on the MGS wiki, but...

I didn't know you had to actually hunt down tapes detailing the events (I thought they'd just be spoken of in dialogue or briefly shown through flashback). Urgh. Skull Face really is a depraved fuck. I can understand why they want to make the character unlikeable, but still...it gets worse when you consider that Chico is only around 13 when all of this is going on.

I heard that the bomb wasn't in Paz's vagina itself, but rather in her womb. Which makes it all the more disturbing, really.

Even worse is that I'm pretty sure that there's more to Chico's role as a 'Trojan Horse' than meets the eye. We'll probably get to see what he meant in The Phantom Pain.

And I'm nothing like you

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 am

Looking for the tapes. Only found two in the main mission. Where the hell are the others?

Ugh, it´s my fault for trying to do things withouth the internet. This is going to be fun.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”