NGE vs. Rebuild's soundtrack

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
terminus
Adam

NGE vs. Rebuild's soundtrack [No Spoilers]

•      
  •      

Postby terminus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:21 pm

Do you think Rebuild's soundtrack will have the potential to be even better than the previous Evangelion episodes and movie soundtracks?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Don't know. Concerning the old tracks a lot of peoples preference is fully dependent on personal preferences. The new tracks I love and hopefully this means that each Angel battle will have its own sound.

But damn it, I'm waiting for anything with Eva 2.0. That's bound to be a good soundtrack.

Master Hand
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Master Hand » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:28 am

I hope the BEAST 2 is remixed.The first one was sweet.I bet the second one would sound awsome too.
I am the Master of hands.

iamsynch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iamsynch » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:27 am

I thought it's going pretty well so far. I think Rebuild's soundtrack is an improvement over the music from the 1st 6 episodes. Compare the music when Shinji meets his dad again; the one used in 1.0 is a lot better I think.

Master Hand
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Master Hand » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:13 am

Yeah.I think some of rebuilds music is better then the original as well.
I am the Master of hands.

Xard
Banned

Re: Will Rebuild's soundtrack top the previous Eva movies an

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:45 am

terminus wrote:Do you think Rebuild's soundtrack will have the potential to be even better than the previous Evangelion episodes and movie soundtracks?

At leat Eva 1.0's was BORING

Angel of Doom was clichefest to max. but still good. But there was nothing of brilliance TV shows best numbers or End of Evangelion OST

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:21 pm

I think Sagisu's music with Rebuild will at least be equal to that of EoE/stuff from the actual series if nothing else. Not that I'm complaing if it WOULD be better than we what already have, because I love Sagisu's stuff. ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Re: Will Rebuild's soundtrack top the original series?

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:11 pm

terminus wrote:Will Rebuild's soundtrack top the original series?
In my opinion, it already has.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:26 pm

NAveryW wrote:

...huh, it has been exactly same apart from few songs such as horrible beautiful world and average Angel of Doom

There has been no glitters of genius such as Komm Süsser Tod

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:27 pm

Xard wrote:...huh, it has been exactly same apart from few songs such as horrible beautiful world and average Angel of Doom

Those happen to be my 2 favorite songs in the new movie.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:30 pm

IrkenEvangelion wrote:
Xard wrote:...huh, it has been exactly same apart from few songs such as horrible beautiful world and average Angel of Doom

Those happen to be my 2 favorite songs in the new movie.

I can understand Angel of Doom but why Beautiful World? Boring, heavily categorialized soulless pop your random songwriting committees spout out all the time to make :money:

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:32 pm

Yea, I agree it's your typical pop song, but, I don't know, I think it sounds cool
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:50 pm

The drums in Decisive Battle sound a bit tinny to me.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:14 pm

It has certainly not been exactly the same! Compare the tracks side by side, and the new versions are usually definitely played by a better orchestra. I will admit, though, that Decisive Battle is almost exactly the same with a few more drums.

terminus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby terminus » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:21 pm

Xard wrote:
NAveryW wrote:

...huh, it has been exactly same apart from few songs such as horrible beautiful world and average Angel of Doom

There has been no glitters of genius such as Komm Süsser Tod

even though some of the songs have been good in Rebuild, I admit that there still is not anything in Rebuild that can match up to the dramatic effect of Komm Susser Tod in EoE, here's hoping the last movie will top it!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:25 pm

KST was a completely different style of music. You can't really compare them. Furthermore, KST's music was very derivative of works such as A Whiter Shade of Pale and Hey, Jude.

EDIT: After listening to it again, though, I will agree that it is still a very powerful song.

DOUBLE EDIT: However, I believe most of its power comes from the context, and it wouldn't be nearly as moving to someone who isn't familiar with NGE.

iamsynch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iamsynch » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:52 pm

NAveryW wrote:KST was a completely different style of music. You can't really compare them. Furthermore, KST's music was very derivative of works such as A Whiter Shade of Pale and Hey, Jude.

EDIT: After listening to it again, though, I will agree that it is still a very powerful song.

DOUBLE EDIT: However, I believe most of its power comes from the context, and it wouldn't be nearly as moving to someone who isn't familiar with NGE.

What about Expansion of Blockade? Nothing from the Rebuild OST comes close.

Plus, I see no reason why context-derived power detracts from a song, since most of the people listening to the OST outside of the movie will already know the context. With that said, I look forward mostly to songs like KST and Everything You've Ever Dreamed in the final two films.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:37 am

iamsynch wrote:What about Expansion of Blockade? Nothing from the Rebuild OST comes close.
I do agree with you there. That's my most favoritest Evangelion track of all.

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:50 am

NAveryW wrote:
iamsynch wrote:What about Expansion of Blockade? Nothing from the Rebuild OST comes close.
I do agree with you there. That's my most favoritest Evangelion track of all.

Ditto on that.

So far, I prefer the original soundtracks, but I'm looking forward to what is in store in the next two installments. I'm sure Borderline Case will sound incredible if done right.

C4
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C4 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:41 am

It's a little bit unfair to compare 1.0's soundtrack to EoE's: the material of the latter is far more interesting, as the whole movie is obviously the payday-- erm, excuse, payoff-- to the series. The events are far more dramatic, and demand more stunning music. 1.0 is nothing more than an introduction, so it doesn't require the dramatic forces that will be necessary later.

It would be more fitting to compare it to the series' score up until this point; and everything is largely the same this time around. The battle tracks are given a whole lot more percussion, there are still about four different versions of Rei's theme that are essentially the same, and new orchestrations of the "Hedgehog's Dilemma" theme. Strangely enough, though that was one of my favorite themes from the series, I feel as if it were overused in 1.0.

The two new additions should be an indicator of the direction the music is going in. Sagisu's music, throughout all his different series, has always had a period, 70's feel, which is heavy sometimes, and light others. I don't get that same kind of feeling from these new tracks, and I love the both of them, I think they just sound more professional. "I'll Go On Loving Someone Else" is my favorite, partially because it reminds me of some of his more brooding piano work on the Kare Kano OSTs, and I think it fits Shinji well. It drags its ass at under a beat per second, and you wish it would hurry up and get its act together, but it just wants to stay depressing, and you can't help but feel sort of bad, which also describes my feelings towards Shinji.

As the movies keep coming out, I'd imagine that they will feature less music from the series, and provide us with many new themes that I am confident will rival EoE's soundtrack.(Which, in my opinion, is the best soundtrack I have listened to, and as a former film scoring student, I have listened to a lot.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”