[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri May 30, 2008 11:18 am

Since "What are you listening to?" was locked because there wasn't any discussion I figured I'd just start this thread to talk about music. What you like, what you don't like, feel free to share opinions and tell someone their favorite band sucks (well, maybe more delicately). Feel free to post what you're listening to BUT ONLY WITH SOME COMMENT ABOUT IT THAT CAN ADD TO A DISCUSSION!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now I'm listening to Weakling's album Dead as Dreams which is a kind of experimental black metal. For those into this kind of stuff this album is a must. It's hard to find, but snoop around on eBay and you should be able to find a copy or download it if you aren't a stickler for not doing that kind of thing. But this is a killer mindfuck of an album... the only one they made, and if there's ever been a better intro and outro for a band in a single album I don't know of one.

Here's a good review:

Weakling was not a band who did things halfway. They reportedly spent two years writing and practicing material for their set list before ever playing a live show, and listening to this album that doesn't seem unreasonable. The five songs on this album range from ten to 20 minutes long, each moving through multiple sections and employing dense, Wall of Sound guitar parts with layers of subtle details and harmonic ambiguities happening beneath the surface. In you listen to this music, say, from the next room in your house, all you can really make out is a washed-out wall of fuzz with some guy (that would be vocalist John Gossard) shrieking over the top. But there is, of course, much more to it than that. Their overall sound, a black metal-as-ambient Wall of Noise approach coupled with an epic songwriting style, certainly owes something to Norwegian bands such as Darkthrone, Burzum, and Immortal, as well as Sweden's Opeth (no strangers to 20-minute songs themselves), but Weakling took those influences and made them into something of their own. The standout track is also the longest, "Dead As Dreams," which begins with a wash of keyboards and then a drawn-out, lamenting guitar prelude before a dramatic, twisting, and utterly heartbroken guitar riff enters at about the three-minute mark; when the drums finally kick in, it is incredibly powerful. It is this kind of dynamic songwriting that lets the band get away with writing such long songs without becoming boring. Taken as a whole, Dead As Dreams is not an easy album to get into, not only because it's emotionally demanding but also since it takes a bunch of listens just to get a handle on all the songwriting twists and turns, but it's a worthwhile investment for anyone interested in hypnotic, epic metal.

And check out the song titles!

1. "Cut Their Grain and Place Fire Therein" - 10:28
2. "Dead as Dreams" - 20:39
3. "This Entire Fucking Battlefield" - 14:47
4. "No One Can Be Called as a Man While He'll Die" - 13:09
5. "Desasters in the Sun" - 17:05
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Annihilationscape » Fri May 30, 2008 2:20 pm

I suppose this is as good a place as any to put this, so here I go...

I've been seriously diggin' Coheed and Cambria.

Coheed consider themselves Progressive Rock, which I think is fair to say. The big draw to Coheed's music is, each album is part of a tremendous sci-fi story. Going beyond a mere concept album, the albums chronicle the adventures of Claudio Kilgannon, son of Coheed and Cambria Kilgannon, who begins the tale as a teenager and finishes as a kind of dark Messiah.

The story itself is highly convoluted and open to interpretation, but there are a series of comics called the Amory Wars in publication right now which clear up and make 'official' the overall story.

The first album, the Second Stage Turbine Blade, is more garage-rock as it was published independently, but there are still some killer tracks here. Standouts include "Time Consumer", "33", and "Junesong Provision".

Their second album and breakthrough, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, favors a more poppy, radio-friendly sound but much darker lyrical content. The story really becomes Caludio's here, and it's a much more interesting listening experience. Recommended listening: "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3", "Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)", and "A Favor House Atlantic".

Their third album is (get ready for a mouthful) Good Apolo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness. In spite of the titanic name, this is, in my humble opinion, the best of the albums thus far. Described by AP magazine as "the new classic rock", this one's got some classic heavy metal overtones, hand-claps, pianos, a fully-symphonic intro, acoustic ballads, and 7-minute epics. This one is the one I'd recommend checking out first if you're curious about Coheed. And Welcome Home is a fantastic song. Try: "Welcome Home", "Ten Speed (of God's Blood and Burial)", "The Suffering", and "Apolo 1: The Writing Writer".

Their most recent album is No World for Tomorrow, and it follows a more consistent musical approach. Full of great rocking anthems and fist-raising goodness, this is a solidly-built rock album, but feels less like Prog Rock and more like Rock so that let me down a bit. However, this is far and away the most easily-accessible Coheed album and a good addition to their library. Listen to: "No World for Tomorrow", "Feathers", "Gravemakers & Gunslingers", and "The End Complete II: Radio Bye-Bye".

The whole story concept was what fascinated me, and the fact that frontman Claudio Sanchez can write a fierce lyric helped a lot. Be warned: this guy's voice is HIGH. Really high. But if you approach it with an open mind, you will be rewarded with some killer music. Highly recommended.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri May 30, 2008 3:41 pm

This thread might turn into something because you've just convinced me to get all of C&C's albums. I've heard of them for a while, but never really looked into it. But your descriptions make it sound just like my kind of stuff. I'll pick them up with my next Amazon order. :nod:
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri May 30, 2008 6:46 pm

I tried getting into C&C, I liked that song "Welcome Home". But when I previewed them on iTunes, I didn't really like it. Though, iTunes makes most songs sound bad, so there still might be hope for me checking them out!

As for classics, I'm listening to Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden. Can't go wrong good old fashion metal. Though, I wasn't really a fan of their latest album, "A Matter of Life and Death", but if you're a hardcore fan, you'll buy it anyways. Some of my favorite songs, such as Monstegur and Fallen Angel, are newer, but as for full albums, "Number of the Beast" and "Powerslave" are the best.
Iron Maiden was actually the band that first got me into music. It was always my dad's favorite when he was growing up in the 80's and he showed it to me and I loved it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Mundane » Fri May 30, 2008 7:02 pm

Cynic.

The band that I listen to the whole album at least once a day.

Let's dissect this Tech-Death/Jazz masterpiece.

Veil of Maya: A crushing opener full of brutal crushing licks, and beautiful soothing licks (solo 1 is one of my favorite of all time). You first get a taste of Paul's eccentric solo style in solo number two; unorthodox, but beautiful. After that back into a crushing lick that just meshes so well with the vocals. 10/10

Celestial Voyage: Few bands have mastered their instruments as well as the men from Cynic. This attests to that with the rather weird note timing (that sounds absolutely beautiful) and lightning speed and accuracy. Begins with a somewhat heavy lick into a somewhat trance sounding verse one. Cynic then rips you right back into metal with the pre-verse. The song never loses originality, and the first solo is orgasmic :D.
10/10

The Eagle Nature: By the start of the song, you wouldn't believe that this is one of their softer songs. By the time it hits the outro however, you'll hit that replay button on your MP3 player of choice; guaranteed.
10/10 (my favorite outro as well)

Sentiment: A rather odd track, and takes some listens to get used to, but not one bad track on this entire album.
10/10

I'm But A Wave To: TRITONES :D! Beautiful song, love the transitional volume swells. Just listen to this one and form your own opinions.
10/10

Uroboric Forms: Without a doubt the heaviest track on the album, just pure brutal from start to finish. Tritone solo is also a plus.
10/10

Textures: Instrumental. Amazing, absolutely amazing. Words cannot describe.
10/10

How Could I: How a final song should sound.
10/10
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri May 30, 2008 7:09 pm

Sachi_13 wrote:As for classics, I'm listening to Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden....
Maiden got me into metal and they're still an all time favorite. I liked their new album, even though it didn't break much new ground. It took a few listens, but there's a lot to love there.

Mundane wrote:Cynic.
Another phenomenal band that sadly only released one album. I was also obsessed with it/them about a year or two back. Have you heard Atheist? They were doing the jazz/death metal thing even before Cynic. Unquestionable Presence is almost as good as Focus.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Mundane » Fri May 30, 2008 7:11 pm

Yeah, I have Atheist's stuff as well.

Cynic is coming out with a new album soon. Reunited recently, different line-up and the secondary guitarist absolutely MURDERS Jason Goebbel's solos, but he plays the rhythm spot on.

I believe they're getting the whole band back together to play numero dos, though.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:27 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:This thread might turn into something because you've just convinced me to get all of C&C's albums. I've heard of them for a while, but never really looked into it. But your descriptions make it sound just like my kind of stuff. I'll pick them up with my next Amazon order. :nod:

Oh yeah, C&C's albums are awesome! If I were you, I'd get Red Alert 2 and Generals/Zero Hour first. Because a lot of the songs in them are real action-pumping-adrenaline ones and pretty much perfect for stuff like playing games (no-duh) and when you're playing sports/exercising. :thumbsup:
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:21 am

JUST LISTEN TO PINK FLOYD AND THEIR MEMBER'S SOLO STUFF AND EVERY THING IN THE WORLD WILL MAKE SENSE

(and IMO, you don't need controlled substances to "understand" it all, just an overactive imagination)

dedicated in memory to the commie propagandist MAGGOTMASTER, kthnxbai
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 31, 2008 11:51 am

Mundane wrote:Cynic is coming out with a new album soon. Reunited recently, different line-up and the secondary guitarist absolutely MURDERS Jason Goebbel's solos, but he plays the rhythm spot on.

I believe they're getting the whole band back together to play numero dos, though.
You just made my year man!

Squirrel Ninja
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Squirrel Ninja » Sat May 31, 2008 6:17 pm

Panic! at the Disco: A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
great album or greatest album.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 31, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm a happy camper because I recently found out Testament put out a new album (with Skolnick back!), and Judas Priest and OPETH! are releasing new albums soon.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat May 31, 2008 9:18 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Judas Priest

YES! They've already released the title song "Nostradamus". It's really good for how long the band has been around.

New Slipknot and Metallica albums coming out soon as well.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 31, 2008 9:35 pm

Sachi_13 wrote:New Slipknot and Metallica albums coming out soon as well.
Not a fan of Slipknot, but the new Metallica should be interesting. If anything it can't possibly be as bad as St. Anger.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat May 31, 2008 9:39 pm

Apparently they're taking the annoying ring out of the snare drum, and actually giving Kirk some solo time.
- Sachi

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:45 pm

BREAK DOWN THE WALL. BREAK DOWN THE WALL. BREAK DOWN THE WASSLL.

Apprently... Vodka and The Wallsd are a good mix. A real good mix indeed. How awesome is this? I mean seriously? It fits NGE so well...

I wish I'd bought it sooner.

Or actually paid for it.

Oh well.

There's an energy behind it... a build up to a denoument... and a cyclical nature that goes... Is this where we came in? It's so awesome....

I got recommended Floyd byh a friend... and they were right... Comfortably numb could easily float dreamil over in place of that...what's it called again? It's the song played with the giant naked space Rei. I'll remeber tomorrow...

This is sweet.

This feels so good.

I have become comfortably numb.... hiccup
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:28 pm

I've always liked Floyd but I've never loved them to the "best band EVER!" extent that many fans do. I also think The Wall is a bit overrated though it's a great experience. I still prefer Dark Side, Meddle, Wish You Were Here, and Animals.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:08 pm

Oliver Messiaen's Turangalila-Symphony. Listen to it. Love it. SMELL IT.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:39 pm

Should I ask what it sounds like or smells like?

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I've always liked Floyd but I've never loved them to the "best band EVER!" extent that many fans do. I also think The Wall is a bit overrated though it's a great experience. I still prefer Dark Side, Meddle, Wish You Were Here, and Animals.

Dark Side is good... I really like listening to it with that unique form of privacy you get on a crowded train with full volume headphones. Surrounded by people, yet all alone and Listening to the Great gig in the sky....

Oddly peaceful....

and there's that Brain Damaged/EoE AMV I've been meaning to do since the cows came home.

The Wall is a bit too long.... but still enjoyable. Waiting for the Worms.... Worms. IT has a sifferent energy about it, but it still has that sime, slightly insane dystopic feel about it.

You mightn't need controlled substances to enjoy it, but they don't do the experience any harm either..
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”