[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:11 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Anyone else here a big classical fan?
I am as well, but I'm more of a baroque/classical guy rather than a Romantic guy. My last classical obsession was Handel and I'm still on quite a bit of a kick. He's better than Bach for my money, but I know most don't agree with me. His oratorios are just endless treasure troves of great music. My favorite composers would go something like:

1. Mozart
2. Beethoven
3. Handel
4. Haydn
5. Stravinsky
6. Schubert
7. Mendelssohn
8. Vivaldi
9. Bach
10. Bartok
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:04 pm

A continuation from my top five:

6) Johann Sebastian Bach
7) Joseph Hadyn
8) Antonin Dvorak
9) Frederic Chopin
10) Igor Stravinsky
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Antonin Dvorak
Olivier Messiaen
J.S. Bach
Gustav Holst
Richard Strauss
Ludwig van Beethoven
Hector Berlioz
Jean Sibelius
Sergei Prokofiev
Richard Wagner

in no particular order.

Pärt and Glass can be pretty great too - some minimalism works really well for me and some just doesn't, not really sure why. I don't know a whole lot about the genre besides the two of them.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:49 pm

I wouldn't even begin to be able to classify my favorite classical music by composer.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:03 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I wouldn't even begin to be able to classify my favorite classical music by composer.
I'm confused... Why not?
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Spud » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:12 pm

I recently got Conditions by The Temper Trap, awesome CD. Its honestly hard to pick my favorite track but if i had to chose one it would be Fader. It's one of the few songs that makes me smile just hearing it.
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:48 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I'm confused... Why not?

Because every single classical piece can sound drastically different depending on the performers?
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:11 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Because every single classical piece can sound drastically different depending on the performers?

Ornette can name his most favorite recordings or performances then I guess.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:19 pm

... my favorite is Debussy...
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:27 pm

You're comparing written music that spans some 400 years worth of time and interpreted by as many people during that span of time. Even given a composer like Berkeley, written some really awesome stuff, some really awesome solo pieces, and then a lot of really mediocre crap. I still think his 5 Bagatelles are better than the body of work of a lot of other people. How does his Bagatelles compare to a Mozart concerto for bassoon? Hard so say, apples and oranges. They are not only written to serve a completely different purpose, but the point each piece is trying to make doesn't even come close to each other.

If it's just a matter of a performer's interpretation of a piece, or an opera, etc., you've got a large plate to choose from. I've been to over a dozen performances of Marriage of Figaro, and most of them are pretty good, some of them are pretty epic, and even some of them are beyond expectations. None of them are even remotely the same. Well, except the written music and the libretto.

EDIT: and I'm not trying to be snarky or anything about not being able to choose classical music by composer. I really can't think of one that I like more than another if I had to choose.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:31 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I'm confused... Why not?

It's a terrible idea.

It's like trying to list your favorite authors, and then including everyone from all genres and all time periods.

EDIT: Oh, I guess Ornette basically said that, although way better.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:53 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:EDIT: and I'm not trying to be snarky or anything about not being able to choose classical music by composer. I really can't think of one that I like more than another if I had to choose.

But I think your listing of Berkley's 5 Bagatelles is a pretty good start. For me I am less interested to compare my best list with another person's and debate about why such and such does not make the best list. I am more inclined to hear what other classical pieces or composers other people find great. Perhaps you could list out some classical works that currently catch your imagination?

From my side, randomly across my head these pieces are what popped up in my head if somebody asked me what pieces I would love to listen now. A very personal list it is admittedly:
- Bruckner's Symphony #9 (even in its unfinished form)
- Shostakovich's Chamber Symphony
- Beethoven's Symphony #7
- Stravinsky's Le sacre du printemps
- Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov
- Mozart's Requiem (even in its incomplete form)
- JS Bach's Die Kunst der Fuge (even in its incomplete form)
- Sibelius' Symphony #3
- Messiaen's Vingt regards sur l'enfant-Jésus
- Handel's Organ Concerti
- Glass' Mishima
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 am

[URL=http://img855.imageshack.us/i/maayasakamoto.jpg/]Image[/URL]

HAPPY 31st BIRTHDAY MAAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
キタ━━━(゜∀゜)━━━!!!!!
キタ━━━(゜∀゜)━━━!!!!!
キタ━━━(゜∀゜)━━━!!!!!

May gentleness of nature surround you as you go to tune the rainbow on shore of sea of miracles.

Stargazing is fine too, and so is eating that last Mameshiba :nyao:

In any case I'm sure the day will go down in your history :D

I may have soft spot for Macross girls, enjoy quite unironically vacuousness of Perfume and the good anisong here and there but in the end you'll forever be the queen of J-Pop for me ^_^

(Still can't help but hope she'd hook up with Yoko Kanno again, the best singer songwriter/producer/arranger pair in J-Pop's history...)

Anyway :D

誕生日おめでとう。!!!

ps. if Anno doesn't have Mari sing Macross-style in 3.0 or 4.0 he'll be talentless hack forevermore

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:10 am

^ Speaking of Maaya, which album of hers would you recommend, Xard?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:48 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:^ Speaking of Maaya, which album of hers would you recommend, Xard?

The single collections would be the best place to start, I think. It's not like I physically own (yet!) her other albums. I don't have her third single collection Everywhere released last year so don't know about that...

Of course her first four albums which were written and and produced by Yoko Kanno are all certainly worth it. Out of those I guess I like the 2nd album Dive and 3rd Lucy the best. The first one is nice but somewhat formatory record IMO. The final Kanno album Shounen Alice is also very good and interesting because in terms of style it was clear and intentional break from style of songwriting Kanno traditionally used with Maaya (One of the very best MacrossF and Ranka songs in particular, Songbird from Cosmic Cuune, was clearly composed and written with Kanno's classic "Maaya template"...which certainly didn't hurt the song at all ;) :) ) - for example Sora wo miro and Yoru :)

Hmm, it might be the best even. Dunno.. :think:

I'm less familiar with her newer, post-Kanno material excluding anisongs of course. This year's You Can't Catch Me was her first #1 album but I haven't listened to any of it yet as the single didn't really grab my attention...

If you'd like to start with only one single collection I'd choose Nikopachi. Hotchpotch of course has the 90s classic anime songs like Yakusoku wa Iranai (of course!), Kiseki no Umi and Platinum but overall I like the newer collection more...that it has Tune the Rainbow and The Garden of Everything (w/Steve Conte) on it helps the choice as those two are probably my favourite songs from her :lol:

In this context I'd also like to mention Yoko Kanno's second studio album 23-Ji no Ongaku which features Sakamoto on vocals in few tracks. Here and Fado are great. They're both also on Nikopachi...

Well, that's what I'd recommend... I dunno, Zap or someone might know more :sweatdrop:

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:11 am

View Original PostXard wrote:The single collections would be the best place to start, I think. It's not like I physically own (yet!) her other albums. I don't have her third single collection Everywhere released last year so don't know about that...

Thanks for the detailed information!

It seems that Everywhere covers the same period as Hotchpotch + Nikopachi but whereas the former 2-cd set has Mameshiba the latter has only the DVD video of Mameshiba in Nikopach first press limited edition. On the other hand, Everywhere does not have songs like "here". All things considered perhaps I should start with Everywhere 2-cd best collection....
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:11 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Perhaps you could list out some classical works that currently catch your imagination?

From my side, randomly across my head these pieces are what popped up in my head if somebody asked me what pieces I would love to listen now.

Sorry, in my previous post I meant William Walton's 5 Bagatelles. There's a couple of them that a friend of mine recorded of me playing in the "2004" link in my sig.

In no particular order:
But along the lines of Berkeley: Sonatine for Flute and Piano, and his Sonatina for Guitar (I also have a recording of my performance of the 3rd movement from an art opening somewhere)
Andrew York, Sunburst
Villa-Lobos preludes for Guitar I've always really liked Prelude 1
Albert Roussel, Segovia and his Flute, viola, cello trio
Bach's Violin Partitas
Prokofiev Piano sonatas, esp # 6

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:48 pm

Some of my favorite works:

Beethoven's 4th, 5th and 9th Symphonies
Stravinsky's "The Firebird"
Haydn's Symphony No. 94
Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite No. 1
Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
Bach's St. Matthew Passion
Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:53 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:You're comparing written music that spans some 400 years worth of time and interpreted by as many people during that span of time.
Yeah, but you can say the same about any medium that's been around for a long time. We still have lists and canons. It's doable. I don't think anyone was asking for a "try to come up with an objective (or even mass-agreeable) list", just a "what composers have consistently meant the most to you". I know it's a difficult thing to judge. When I'm faced with the dilemma of choosing a composer (or author/director/etc.) who has a few works I think are amongst my absolute favorites and one who's consistently good/great then I tend to go for the latter. I think Beethoven at his best is usually better than Mozart at his best, but there's a lot more pieces from Mozart I'd want on a desert island. Not to mention my sentimental attachment of Mozart being the composer that got me into classical music and opera...

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I've been to over a dozen performances of Marriage of Figaro, and most of them are pretty good, some of them are pretty epic, and even some of them are beyond expectations. None of them are even remotely the same.
Which would you recommend? I have Gardiner's, Jacobs, this Bohm, and Marriner. I think I like Bohm's the best. Gardiner's is pristinely constructed, but a bit too Baroque. Marriner has that nice classical flavor but is somewhat dramatically bland. I like the fresh spirit in Jacobs' but it's a bit too idiosyncratic in some respects. You're right in that they're all uniquely different.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:05 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Yeah, but you can say the same about any medium that's been around for a long time.

All that I'm saying is that I can't even begin to imagine how to choose by composer.

Which would you recommend? I have Gardiner's, Jacobs, this Bohm, and Marriner. I think I like Bohm's the best. Gardiner's is pristinely constructed, but a bit too Baroque. Marriner has that nice classical flavor but is somewhat dramatically bland. I like the fresh spirit in Jacobs' but it's a bit too idiosyncratic in some respects. You're right in that they're all uniquely different.

I only own one copy of the opera, and I don't even remember who it's by. My favorite performance was actually one at the Benedum in Pittsburgh by an opera company (can't remember the name) that took a very modern interpretation, woodwinds everywhere, all costumes were 1990's common clothing, the stage was tilted towards the audience with a semicircle of doors. No sets, just doors and a couch at center stage. I liked it better than the shows I've seen at the Met, BAM, SFO, Washington National Opera at the Kennedy Center.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”