[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Goddamn, I always knew this album was a classic, but I have not heard it all the way through in a long, long time, and now I cannot stop :guitarpunk:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:39 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote: Two songs (less songs than filler noise) that really brought the wave of nostalgia were (-) Ions and Cesaro Summability; that fucking baby's cry, man—so much nostalgia. Hooker With a Penis is also always a favorite, of course.

Great ass album. Someone liking the filler tracks though? That's rather unexpected (even though those things get pretty intense) considering most people skim right over 'em.

For some reason that album reminds me of Freshmen year of high school, being backstage during play practice looking up at the rafters. That middle jam in Pushit comes to mind quite clearly when remembering that.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:11 am

That filler sets a great atmosphere for the album.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 am

"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Combs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 am

Alas, I am so disappointed in myself for originally dismissing Muse because of it's appearance on guitar hero. Shame I missed their Vancouver concert in April. :raincloud: Exogenesis Symphony simply moves the stars.

Meiko Kaji is a Goddess.

Word.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:33 am

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:That filler sets a great atmosphere for the album.

:lol: I ain't dissing that filler, I'm just saying most people tend to skip over 'em.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:35 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:As for my late musical trends, I've been listening a to a lot of Tool and Opeth. Listening to Tool brings me back to my early childhood when my dad would play Ænima. Two songs (less songs than filler noise) that really brought the wave of nostalgia were (-) Ions and Cesaro Summability; that fucking baby's cry, man—so much nostalgia. Hooker With a Penis is also always a favorite, of course.
Two of my all time favorites. I was obsessed with Opeth's Ghost Reveries a few months ago after initially dismissing it. Now I think it's one of their best. As for Tool, man, they're one of my favorite bands to listen to my headphone system and just dissolve into. Very few bands outside of Pink Floyd and The Gathering can so immerse me in the atmosphere of their music. Impressive for a band that's kinda one-dimensional (I don't meant hat in a bad way, but they're more of a hedgehog than a fox).

Aenima's an awesome album, but Lateralus, over time, has become my favorite. Fuck, Danny Carey is an unbelievably awesome drummer. Really my favorite rock/metal drummer ever. So creative with everything he does. I was even listening to The Pot in my car the other day and just air drumming out while at a red light. I agree about the fillers, btw. I kinda think they're similar to the Pillow Shots in Ozu's movies. It's all about atmosphere and pacing, taking a breather between epic songs is something more bands should do.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:12 pm

New Julee Cruise album
http://www.amazon.com/My-Secret-Life/dp/B004NA5G3E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1299104432&sr=8-3-catcorr

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Eva 02 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:42 pm

I still enjoy the Tool demos. Opiate is always a great view on religion, and who could forget Jerk-off? Great song about misanthropy.

Hush always reaffirmed my view on artistic free speech.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby SenorSquiid » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 pm

I was always a huge Beatles fan, and still am. I always dismissed the Beach Boys as silly surf pop. Then I heard Pet Sounds.

So you should all listen to the Beach Boys. Listen to pet Sounds. Seriously. Good god it's good.

And then for something completely different give Love You a try.
It takes a few listens to get into usually, but holy crap, the music is amazing, and it has this delightful lo-fi home made feel with big farty moog bass and caveman drums and everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7u_ZkA7GUY
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:33 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:I was always a huge Beatles fan, and still am. I always dismissed the Beach Boys as silly surf pop. Then I heard Pet Sounds.

So you should all listen to the Beach Boys. Listen to pet Sounds. Seriously. Good god it's good.

Or pre-70's Bee Gees like "Horizontal" or Spicks and Specks.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Odessa is my favorite Bee Gee album.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:06 pm

Word. That was my favorite song when I was 19, as Lady Snowblood was my favorite movie for a while and Meiko Kaji was my favorite actress.

Am I allowed to declare how much I love Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy on this forum, or will that make me persona non-grata?

I mean, I should be persona non-grata around these parts by now anyway, but I'm just asking.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:02 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:I was always a huge Beatles fan, and still am. I always dismissed the Beach Boys as silly surf pop. Then I heard Pet Sounds.
Beach Boys are godlike, but The Beatles are God.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Since we're talking about Brian Wilson's Beach Boys (and Paul McCartney's Beatles)... we need to mention the slightly younger generation of pop masters.

Paddy McAloon's Prefab Sprout. Listen to Steve McQueen and then see how long it takes you to buy everything else he's ever put out...
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Born of Lilith » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:52 am

My recent musical fancies:
Sigur Ros - Von
Opeth - Damnation
Deftones - White Pony
Fort Minor - The Rising Tied
From First To Last - Heroine
Thrice - Vheissu
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Eyedea & Abilities - E&A
Binary Star - Masters Of The Universe
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
MC Frontalot - Nerdcore Rising and Secrets From The Future
Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me
AFI - Sing The Sorrow

Yeah. I listen to a lot of fuggin' music.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:56 pm

I never knew All About Lily Chou-Chou's OST had been performed live - and in Budokan of all places! Salyu picked a few of her "Lily" songs for her own Budokan live in 2009. And the arrangements are quite funky, too. They are brilliant and orgasmic!
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:31 pm

I swear, Aphex Twin's album Selected Ambient Works Volume II is one of the greatest things ever released.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:46 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:I swear, Aphex Twin's album Selected Ambient Works Volume II is one of the greatest things ever released.

:D I'm more of a fan of the first volume, but I still really like the first one.

For some reason Godspeed! You Black Emperor has been the only thing I've been listening to for the last few days. Crazy shifts in dynamics. Wonderful noise. Great guitar tone. Ridiculous build-ups. Everything that I love about post-rock wrapped up all together.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:33 am

View Original Postschismatics wrote::D I'm more of a fan of the first volume, but I still really like the first one.

For some reason Godspeed! You Black Emperor has been the only thing I've been listening to for the last few days. Crazy shifts in dynamics. Wonderful noise. Great guitar tone. Ridiculous build-ups. Everything that I love about post-rock wrapped up all together.

I don't know, it's just something about the tone of it that makes me love it so much. Seriously, this track is orgasmic to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWnUuosQwZY

Godspeed! You Black Emperor are pretty good. I especially like the first track off F♯ A♯ ∞

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”