[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Charoncaori
Embryo

Postby Charoncaori » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:37 pm

I'll have to agree with the Animals comment, although DSotM is still my favorite. I find a few of the songs on The Wall to be completely unlistenable... Animals flows better as a musical album, I guess.

Seeing it live last year was a total trip... Watching Waters complain about the evils of capitalism, comparing it to the effects of war... while sitting in my $250 seat. The irony was delicious.

It was still an amazing show, and I don't regret it one bit. There won't be any more big concerts for me for a while, though.

(Has anyone ever heard of a cover band called The Machine? They're really fun, and they've been around for ages... I try to see them every year.)
Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999!

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:37 pm

View Original PostCharoncaori wrote:Seeing it live last year was a total trip... Watching Waters complain about the evils of capitalism, comparing it to the effects of war... while sitting in my $250 seat. The irony was delicious.

It was still an amazing show, and I don't regret it one bit. There won't be any more big concerts for me for a while, though.

Heh, I had the cheap seats towards the back.

SPOILER: Show
But everyone knows you can get away with more back there.
Movin' Right Along

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:56 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:The term overrated is overrated
Saying the term overrated is overrated is overrated.

View Original PostSepulcural Voice wrote:Jimbo, I don't think Katatonia's early and later albums are really all that disconnected from each other, mostly because they've released a massive amount of EPs over their career and some of them actually heavily signified the transistions between their styles
Well, I do have Brave Yesterdays, but I'm not sure how much of a smooth transition there is between DoDS, BMD, and DO and after. I don't even hear a lot of similarities between DoDS and BMD. The former is slow, doom metal and the latter is much more straight-forward (one thing that bugs me about BMD is that constant, banal, 4/4 drum beats that drone on endlessly, especially on Brave). As someone else said, DO sounds like what would happen if grunge had happened in Sweden.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby bigbadtyrant » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:18 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Saying the term overrated is overrated is overrated.

Saying anything as being overrated, even the word overrated itself is overrated so stop please. :tongue:
From the shadows i come!!!

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:34 pm

saying that

back on topic: I think some people are forgetting what filler tracks are. Filler tracks are meant to fill space on the album. That's pretty much it. All of the tracks on The Wall make up an atmosphere for the central plot of the album.

And The Wall, at one time, may have been over appreciated, but that has been thrown out the window since a majority of people now claim the album is overrated, thus making the album underrated.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:01 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:And The Wall, at one time, may have been over appreciated, but that has been thrown out the window since a majority of people now claim the album is overrated, thus making the album underrated.
:lol: what

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:49 am

bitches who don't think WYWH and Animals are best Floyd albums have no idea what they're talking about.

Anyway, I'd love to ramble on Pink Floyd but since full version of Madoka's awesome opening song finally came out that's all I'm listening to as of now...

lolijewtube link

I guess the song isn't in itself depressing but thanks to show this just makes me sad. ;___;

As far as j-pop goes ClariS have endeared me to them with combination of OreImo's irony and now this. Yay :D

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:19 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:bitches who don't think WYWH and Animals are best Floyd albums have no idea what they're talking about.

EDIT: Didn't mean for that to come out so harshly, basically I disagree and don't think you can tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about when discussing Pink Floyd.
Movin' Right Along

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:49 pm

I prefer the Roger Waters-driven stuff over the David Gilmour driven stuff

and then there's the Syd Barrett/Richard Wright driven material that's unique in their own ways
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Been listening to some SRV lately. What constantly amazes me about him is how he was able to wear his Hendrix influences on his sleeve to the point of even covering his work and yet he still comes off as completely fresh, invigorating, and original. SRV just had "it", whatever the hell it is. For any doubters, just watch Live at the El Mocambo; to this day it remains the best live performance I've ever seen.

View Original PostXard wrote:bitches who don't think WYWH and Animals are best Floyd albums have no idea what they're talking about.
Agree about WYWH, but I waffle between Animals and DSotM for their next most essential.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:58 pm

SRV is awesome and I actually prefer his rendition of Voodoo Chile. Too bad that like Hendrix, he too died far too young.

And I always thought Animals was Pink Floyd's most overrated album.

I'd list them as:
1) The Wall
2) WYWH
3) DSotM
4) Animals
Movin' Right Along

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:08 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:SRV is awesome and I actually prefer his rendition of Voodoo Chile.
Ha! What's funny is that I was JUST talking to my friend about his rendition VS Hendrix's when we were playing it earlier. FWIW, I disagree with you. What bothers me about SRV's Voodoo Child is that it's far too controlled and precise. I was trying to describe it to my friend, essentially saying that the rhythm is too streamlined, the melodies too smooth, the solos too imitative. The thing about Hendrix's is that it's like this raw, rough explosion of creativity. Everytime I hear Hendrix's it inspires me to pick up a guitar all over again. Now, SRV can do that to me too, but on different tracks. I actually love SRV's instrumentals and I think his take on Little Wing arguably bests Hendrix's (if only because it's longer and more fleshed out). His Riviera Paradise is awesome as well.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:22 pm

My Floyd list is this
1. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
2. Atom Heart Mother
3. Animals
4. Meddle
5. Wish You Were Here

It constantly changes though. I will say that Obscured by Clouds is CRIMINALLY underrated. It may be a score to a film, but it doesn't really show it.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:15 am

What is this Pink Floyd heresy? Animals is the best album of all time. :derp:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby bigbadtyrant » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Uh who's Pink Floyd? Thats a really funny name for a band.
Last edited by bigbadtyrant on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the shadows i come!!!

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 am

View Original PostOz wrote:What is this Pink Floyd heresy? Animals is the best album of all time. :derp:

The big heresy is to call Pink Floyd Pink Floyd. Syd Barrett was Pink Floyd. After he left the building, they were a different band.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:25 am

I think the biggest problem The Wall was its writing. So much overdramatic angst thrown into the lyrics made it difficult for me to care about the narrative of the story after I'd reached a certain age. Pink's existential crisis seems now to be little more than heavy-handed and uncreative bludgeoning aided by an uneven pace and structure.

Some cuts are really good (if overplayed), and the musicianship on the album is great. But the whole deal about it being a ROCK OPERA and all that is utterly overblown nonsense IMO. Its "story" is a joke and its writing is about as precise, subtle, and intricate as a wrecking ball. After you listen to it, there's nothing left to ponder or think about or dwell on. Waters does a good job spelling out every conflict and every 'feeling' or thought going through the speaker's mind, leaving little to nothing to imagination.

That said, Wish You Were Here is my favorite Pink Floyd album. I should probably listen to them again at some point. I haven't been playing much music at all, lately.

backseatjesus wrote:The big heresy is to call Pink Floyd Pink Floyd. Syd Barrett was Pink Floyd. After he left the building, they were a different band.
I take it then that Exile on Main Street isn't a Rolling Stones album, either?

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:38 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:
That said, Wish You Were Here is my favorite Pink Floyd album. I should probably listen to them again at some point. I haven't been playing much music at all, lately.

I take it then that Exile on Main Street isn't a Rolling Stones album, either?

Difference is that when Syd left, the sound of the band dramatically changed. With The Rolling Stones, they still had that dynamic core sound. With Pink Floyd, it's hard to imagine the first album is the same band that did DSOTM or Animals.

The big reason why I even think it is because Syd was the one that created the name. It came from his two favorite Blues musicians, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. When he left, the others didn't even bother the change the name. To me, it's rude and selfish to not at least ask to continue to use it. Then again, the whole situation the revolved around Syd was pretty disrespectful in the first place.

View Original PostMerridian wrote:I think the biggest problem The Wall Waters does a good job spelling out every conflict and every 'feeling' or thought going through the speaker's mind, leaving little to nothing to imagination.

It does leave the question of "What happened to Pink?" at the end.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 am

^Yeah, true enough.

But at this point, it seems like a silly complaint. What else should it be called? Pink Floyd Phase Two? I don't see anything heretical about them 'stealing' the name from a band that they already belonged to. Ousting their madman leader might not have been most ethical thing in the world, but it's not like Syd didn't have his own share of problems anyway.

backseatjesus wrote:It does leave the question of "What happened to Pink?" at the end.
Oh yeah. I thought he fell into a catatonic state, but I suppose that's open to interpretation.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”