Evangelion VS RahXephon your thoughts.

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Conrad Gray
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Conrad Gray » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:34 pm

Evangelion has grittier and more realistic style, but Rahxephon is definitely prettier. You can argue that NGE's aesthetics is superior, but you can't say it's more attractive or better-looking, because the realistic style makes things ugly by default. Not that ugly is a bad thing because when you are trying to show the horrors of war ugly/gritty/realistic is the way to go.

However Rahxephon is still prettier and Quon is hotter than Rei and all detractors can't argue with any of this!

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:47 pm

@Xard

You used my own weapon against me, like what I did to Zapx.

@Congrad Gray

I tend to like animation from the 90's the best.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

Shinji-kun
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji-kun » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:08 am

@ Xard/RS
The key animator is Iso Mitsuo. Coincidentally enough he did the key animation for Rah too.
MAL
"Eva is not pretentious. And I dare you to delete DA JIMBO! You can not delete 1.21 Jimbowatts of pure NGE badassery." - Eva Yojimbo

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:31 am

I prefer NGE's visuals: the iconic visual designs use of washed colours in hospital scenes, the iconic hell train colour schemes etc. are really something

In "usual scenes" Rah of course is pwettier

but in "animation quality" Rah/Eva fight isn't matter of opinion but is objective: Rah's animation quality is far superior to NGE's, as it should be

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:@Xard

You used my own weapon against me, like what I did to Zapx.

Well, I didn't do that consciously. It's just that what you wrote was one of stupidest things I've read in a while. Seriously.

Shinji-kun wrote:@ Xard/RS
The key animator is Iso Mitsuo. Coincidentally enough he did the key animation for Rah too.

uhh... Iso Mitsuo is key animator of what exactly in NGE? There were many key animators in Eva, of course

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:26 am

Xard wrote:
Conrad Gray wrote:Plus Rahxephon has the better music.

QFMFT

Ludwig van Beethoven, Georg Friedrich Händel , Antonin Dvorak, Alexander Borodin, Johann Sebastian Bach, Johann Pachelbel, Felix Mendelssohn, and Bart Howard would all like to ask you something:

SPOILER: Show
Man, why you be hatin' ? 'cause some Jap poser be playin' us? Shoot, folks been hollin' on us since day one, and they'z still be lost, but its all good, dem hoes still come back for moe. Ait, peace. Image
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:26 am

wat

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:02 am

Simplified:

SPOILER: Show
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:06 am

no, I still don't get it. What has teh old men have to do with me viewing Rah's OST superior to NGE's?

(obviously I'm not counting NGE's usage of Beethoven, Händel, Bach etc. just the original tracks

though EoE is bitchin' and better than Rah IMO)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:29 am

Xard wrote:(obviously I'm not counting NGE's usage of Beethoven, Händel, Bach etc. just the original tracks

Rather peculiar since that very music covers quite a bit of Evangelion, including nearly every dramatic moment for half the series. For all that I could tell, you were citing it for unoriginality in that respect, but my mistake. :sweatdrop:

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:Jap

This gives me rage of the brooklyn variety, as I love Japan... even if you were just kidding (which you probably were).

Xard wrote:Well, I didn't do that consciously. It's just that what you wrote was one of stupidest things I've read in a while. Seriously.

That's quite offensive and pretentious of you.
MAL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" -Albert Einstein

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Here's a little something for Yojimbo. Apparently that Anno's trademark hand shot we talked about comes from Bio-Armor Jushin Liger, which is apparently one of the darker series by Go Nagai. This is pretty much the least surprising thing ever, knowing how Nagai's Devilman was one of the two primary influences for Eva.

[URL=http://img401.imageshack.us/i/jushinligerbeastsign.jpg/]Image[/URL]
The only real difference is that there's a glowing beast sign instead of blood or spunk.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:20 pm

@Alaska Slim: When I was talking about the music from both series I meant the original music. I have the utmost respect for Anno's use of classical music in NGE and it's probably what would lead me to say I prefer the use of music in NGE to Rah. However, if we're talking about just sitting down and listening to either, I vastly prefer Rah.

@Dr. Nick: Is there another series that uses the hand motif (or any other motif) in the way NGE does? Especially when it comes to connecting different parts of the series together and as character development? This may not make sense since I'm not sure if you've ever read all of my extensive hand motif analyses stuff.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:@Dr. Nick: Is there another series that uses the hand motif (or any other motif) in the way NGE does? Especially when it comes to connecting different parts of the series together and as character development?

I haven't seen any that use the hand motif as heavily as Eva. That's Anno's all-original handiwork, I'm sure. The Liger screenie is simply one more nail in the coffin of Evaxephon's rip-off argument. Rahxephon copies some particular camera angles and framings from Eva? Gee, Eva copies some angles and framings too!

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:40 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:@Dr. Nick: Is there another series that uses the hand motif (or any other motif) in the way NGE does? Especially when it comes to connecting different parts of the series together and as character development?

I haven't seen any that use the hand motif as heavily as Eva. That's Anno's all-original handiwork, I'm sure. The Liger screenie is simply one more nail in the coffin of Evaxephon's rip-off argument. Rahxephon copies some particular camera angles and framings from Eva? Gee, Eva copies some angles and framings too!

yeah, i find it ridiculous when people say that rahxephon directly rips off eva, both series borrow things from other series, it's not uncommon for shows to do that, either as a tribute or whatever reason
I have no signature!

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:27 am

Rabid-Sachiel wrote:
Xard wrote:Well, I didn't do that consciously. It's just that what you wrote was one of stupidest things I've read in a while. Seriously.

That's quite offensive and pretentious of you.

entirely justified

How someone can go and say director of anime animated and drew the show all by himself is so ludicruous one can only spam facepalms and epic fail

@Dr. Nick: very interesting find!

IIRC it was Sadamoto who always streched Devilman influence though, not Anno (Devilman's influence always lingered on Sadamoto's contributions to show more heavily).

Rabid-Sachiel
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid-Sachiel » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Well, It's IMPERTINENT. There was no need to act like that.
MAL

cogitoergosum
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:33 am

Stories are always influenced in one way or another by popular culture, novels, art, film, philosophies, etc. Evangelion, for example, was influenced by novels like Childhood's End and The Andromeda Strain. In a sense, Evangelion was also influenced by the author Jules Verne who pioneered the sci-fi genre and made it so popular.

With that being said I believe it is unfair to view RahXephon as an Evangelion clone. It is indeed true that RahXephon was greatly influenced by Evangelion but there are many differences between the two shows. Eva was more influenced by novels and existentialism while RahXephon draws more from music and visual arts. An advantage that RahXephon might have over Eva is that it actually "makes sense". Although overall I like Evangelion best because of the "weird" factor and also because it has deeper meanings.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. -Friedrich Nietzsche-

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:32 am

cogitoergosum wrote:An advantage that RahXephon might have over Eva is that it actually "makes sense".
NGE makes as much sense as Rah; it just requires a good deal of thinking and consideration before one gets to that point of sense-making. ^_^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:39 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:An advantage that RahXephon might have over Eva is that it actually "makes sense".
NGE makes as much sense as Rah; it just requires a good deal of thinking and consideration before one gets to that point of sense-making.
NGE makes MORE sense than RahXephon. The ending of RahXephon was so half-assed that I can't believe anyone could pass it off as "coherent/logical". Judging from the amount of people elsewhere that disagree with this statement, however, I'm led to believe that it's proof of how much EoTV bored people and EoE disturbed them, when really all they wanted was two mechas fighting each other for no reason and--against all previously-established in-series logic--mystically make everything better & live happily ever after.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:17 am

You're probably right, Merridian. It's been too long since I've seen Rah.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”