[TV] Is Family Guy Still Funny? Was it EVER Funny?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

[TV] Is Family Guy Still Funny? Was it EVER Funny?

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:46 pm

I stopped enjoying new episodes of Family Guy as much approximately after South Park did their "Cartoon Wars" duology, and I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not. I still look back on older moments from the show (even after its revival) and find them hilariously witty. However, laughs, while still there, are getting increasingly rare. I'm also getting increasingly annoyed by "manatee jokes", which seem to have started becoming much more common since the movie. I'm not saying those non-sequitors are never funny, it's just that it seems like they're not really trying that hard to come up with jokes that actually fit into the narrative.

The most recent episode I saw that I really liked was "Lois Kills Stewie". Most of the episodes shortly before and after that, however, usually just seem kind of good at best.

I've always liked the chicken fights, though, despite the fact that certain people consider them overdone and pointless.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:49 pm

South Park sucked your soul :grin:

The chicken fights were great. I've almost stopped watching Family Guy completely now. (As well as everything else on T.V.). It ceased to hook me. Or I just found the wonders of the internet.
I liked the Star Wars special though.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:30 pm

I never liked it much, but they officially "were just going through the motions" for me when they had the "garbage dumpster fetus musical number"....

...Seth MacFarlane is obsessed with singing and showtunes, and it came to the point where they'd obviously just randomly insert songs for no reason.

Admittedly, the last few were pretty good, but they've lost their stride. The season after they came back from cancellation was pretty good, but they're just going through the motions. That said its better than reality TV or the scripted crud Fox makes live action.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:31 pm

It is a funny show the first time around, but seems to have little replay value.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:36 pm

Yeah, FG can get big laughs the first time around but has nil replay value. Some of the early episodes are almost insta-classics though, but it's really gone down hill as of late. It rarely gets a big laugh from me anymore. King of the Hill, however, is still as great as always. It's one of the few that just doesn't seem to run out of ideas. Probably due to its great cast of characters who have more personality than all the FG-esque shows combined.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:10 am

All I know about Family Guy is that it makes me laugh. I don't keep track of how hard or how many times. When something makes me laugh, I lie still like a corpse and let it do whatever the hell it wants.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:11 am

Family Guy lost me when they started to turn Stewie away from the whole "evil genius" thing into a Coyote Ugly dancer.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:38 am

V wrote:...Seth MacFarlane is obsessed with singing and showtunes, and it came to the point where they'd obviously just randomly insert songs for no reason.
Actually, I'd say the music is one of the show's highlights. Now that I remember it, Stewie dancing with Gene Kelly is one of the most glee-inducing moments of the show for me. That's probably mainly due to the fact that the original dance with Jerry was a childhood favorite of mine.

TriLink wrote:Family Guy lost me when they started to turn Stewie away from the whole "evil genius" thing into a Coyote Ugly dancer.
You should probably watch the two-part 100th episode, then.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I own the "Live in Vegas" soundtrack, and the music on that CD is really fantastic. If I had an orchestra like Walter Murphy's, I'd... er... be really sad because I can't compose or conduct music very well.

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:52 am

Yeah, I have to agree with you guys, too. It used to be funny, but now it's just...not funny...but not boring. It's interesting. But it ain't make me laugh no more. :boingy:

I stopped watching, say, 5 months ago.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:20 am

I could never get into Family Guy.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:28 pm

I think them as the new invading forces of idiocy.
I feel old

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:35 pm

Family Guy non sequiturs and musical numbers used to have more wit about them than they do now. It's pretty clear now that the writers just keep a stack of little ideas around that they just insert now when they need to fill time. At worst, plot has fallen entirely by the wayside, and they've resurrected one-time gags that shouldn't have ever been used twice (greased deaf guy, vaudeville being dead, etc.).

And I think that part of the reason it was funny back in 2002 or 03 was that I was in college, and everyone was watching the show, for the first time. It really was a new brand of humor.

Oh, and I think the level of literacy in the cultural references has gone down since the show's return. I have to wonder if it was one of the conditions of being un-cancelled. Blue Harvest was downright terrible.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:10 pm

The Imperialist wrote:I think them as the new invading forces of idiocy.

I think it's pretty clear what this statement means for everyone.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:I think it's pretty clear what this statement means for everyone.
XD

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:I think it's pretty clear what this statement means for everyone.

Jack shit? :kawaii:
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:44 am

The problem is one of laziness on the writers. It's very easy for a series like FG to quickly become a parody of itself and just fall back on old ideas. I actually think some of the funniest jokes in recent episodes has been stuff like Cleveland saying "I hate shows that cut away from the story for some bull crap".

But I'll keep saying it until I've convinced everyone: King of the Hill blows all of these shows out of the American animated comedy waters. I mean, you just can't beat this:

*Bobby finds out he might be a resurrected Buddhist Llama. Peggy drives up behind a car with a sticker 'My child is an honor student at X Elementary'", and then drives up beside the car*

Peggy: "Oh yeah?! Well my child is God to billions of Asians!" *drives off*

:lol: :rofl: :hitthetable:
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:59 pm

Like a lot of you guys, I thought Family Guy was funny when it first aired as well. But with the post-cancellation episodes, it did start to become less funny for me to the point where I was losing faith in the show. I am happy to say, however, that with Blue Harvest and the 100th episode, I'm starting to like the show again. When they ended the 100th with the cliffhanger from The Best of Both Worlds from Star Trek: The Next Generation, I was laughing for five minues straight.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

No. 44
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby No. 44 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:21 pm

man i fucking hate family guy the football kid is the most annoying and why i hate the show
the threat must be physically annihilated @#$%!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:50 pm

No. 44 wrote:man i fucking hate family guy the football kid is the most annoying and why i hate the show
:hitthetable:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:58 am

The South Park 2-parter about Family Guy (Cartoon Wars) was pretty awesome. Much better than Family Guy.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Film and Video”