The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:25 pm

All discussion about the movie here please, rather than having so many threads about the same thing.

Also, try and keep this free of "Its going to suck" style comments. If you think so, say so, but back it up with something, say why you think so. I don't want a huge amount of cleaning to do every day to keep some sense of sanity to this thread.

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 12:04 GMT

Eva [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:25 pm

She right the is going to the greatest thing since since.....well you known.Let praise this movie.O did you give your comment on this movie,mod

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 16:12 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:25 pm

Eva wrote:did you give your comment on this movie,mod

I'm not too bothered by it. I don't like the idea, but there is a possibility that it could be done well, though this is unlikely.

Some problems it will face:
Condensing the plot, which is going to have to happenCharacters. Evangelion is an analysis of the social alienation unique to Japanese youths resulting from the distinct nature of contemporary Japanese society. This won't appeal to Western AudiencesA major theme in the original Evangelion animation is the desire for recognition and companionship and communal unity. This lies in direct opposition to the natural American desire for independence and singularity and individualityIts live action. Thus has to appear more believable. Animation can get away with things LA can't. The size of the Eva's is a good example of this.Directors style. Anno's is unique, and one of the things I loved about Eva. It won't appeal to mainstream viewers though.

Again, I have to point out its still unlikely to get made. Its supposed to be getting $100,000,000. Who's supplying this?

ADV don't have that much
Gainax won't Image
WETA are getting paid, not paying.

Again, I point out that this thread is for discussion, not pointless "its going to suck" posts. If you think its going to suck, say why[/u].

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 16:27 GMT

SeI ThIm [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SeI ThIm [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:25 pm

Well...this forum needed some strict rules. I may be hated for this...but that is what I think.

Anyway...back to the topic.

There are several reasons, why this 'movie' is going to be horrible.

Perfect example - Sadamoto's manga. He destroyed Eva in his futile attempt to be original. As he stated, he tried to shorten things etc.
He also said, that he is sure that Mr. Hideaki Anno would not agree with things which he had done. All those cuts, attempts to shorten everything so it would fit in those 11 Vol. of his, created a simplistic, exclusive-Sadamoto interpretation of Evangelion.

If that was done by Sadamoto himself, that what will happen with this 'movie'?
2,5h of time MAX...hah! This is nothing compared to 11 volumes of manga (11x200 pages = 2200 pages total).
Plus...I'm almost certain, that this movie will be overloaded with Sp. Eff. (reminds me of those movies produced for masses)

I do not say...that it will not be popular, or that it will be bad for certain. No...
All I say is that the chance of it being something more than a stupid, commercial, Special Effect-overloaded, mass movie for us - ignorant fools is rather slim.
Argh...sorry for all that. I still get angry when I hear about this Khm...khm...arkhm...live action movie...uhh...

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 17:12 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:26 pm

Yeh I agree.

Except for the part that says it might be popular

I think it might be like this game I heard of (forgot the name) that sold 3 copies worldwide cause people downloaded it then told everyone not to buy it

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 18:14 GMT

Eva [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:26 pm

It would probally rank with that Final Fantasy spirted from within(Which sucked)But i think it do lower.Remeber many people want to see fantasy and they got that garbage of a movie.Well Eva live-one won't be different.Anime should never be turn but games k.The final fantasy movie sucked but the mortal kombat and street fighter where,BUT ANIME IS ONLY ANIME.

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 18:24 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:26 pm

I wouldn't say it sucked but rather unsuccesful. It wasn't very good but it didn't suck. The story line was pretty bad but the scenery was very awe-inspiring

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 18:49 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:26 pm

SeI ThIm wrote:Well...this forum needed some strict rules. I may be hated for this...but that is what I think.

Anyway...back to the topic.

There are several reasons, why this 'movie' is going to be horrible.

Perfect example - Sadamoto's manga. He destroyed Eva in his futile attempt to be original. As he stated, he tried to shorten things etc.
He also said, that he is sure that Mr. Hideaki Anno would not agree with things which he had done. All those cuts, attempts to shorten everything so it would fit in those 11 Vol. of his, created a simplistic, exclusive-Sadamoto interpretation of Evangelion.

The manga is good stuff. Just because it's not Anno's version doesn't mean it sucks. Whiners can scream how their favorite character is messed up or how "Anno wouldn't do something like that". Well, Anno is a depressed, crazy individual. Of course the manga is going to be different.

Anno doesn't about Eva now. He's rather do a Cutey Honey movie.

The movie could work without Anno, but from the info we have i can just say it's going to suck. Majorly.

From the sex and blood issues to the fact they just won't mess with a kid in an american movie. From the "international" cast to the fact it's a single 90-120 min movie trying to tell the whole story. Add the fact they're saying that they are "aliens" in the PR, and that Weta says it's happy with working with something "in space".

I usually believe in the writing above everything. But when you can't even make the kids go through what they have to go through because of the MPAA...

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 18:54 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:26 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:[*]A major theme in the original Evangelion animation is the desire for recognition and companionship and communal unity. This lies in direct opposition to the natural American desire for independence and singularity and individuality

I don't think that will be a problem at all, if you consider how the show ends. As in the fact that Shinji rejects instrumentality, and chooses to remain an individual.

As as for desire for recognition and companionship, almost all movies and stories have elements of love in them, and or friendship.

I think Evangelion transcends the culture of any nation. (Unless maybe you were an Islamic fundamentaist, Talaban type or something like that. :lolImage

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 19:23 GMT

Esrhan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Esrhan [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:26 pm

What's the latest announcement they've released about the movie? I haven't heard any news from it for some time now.

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 19:29 GMT

mtp_2002 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mtp_2002 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:31 pm

I got to see some of the storyboard skectchs in the last issue of NewType Magazine. There was some info but not much.

Originally posted on: 23-Jul-2003, 21:14 GMT

Esrhan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Esrhan [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:31 pm

I haven't had the opportunity to read the manga version of Neon Genesis Evangelion, so I'm asking that would it be more practical, and easier to base the movie around the manga?

Also, someone made that "what good will come from the movie?" thread, and bringing merchandise to this subject seems only natural. The movie will have posters and wallscrolls which might actually look great, not to mention all the other stuff.

Originally posted on: 24-Jul-2003, 01:13 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Esrhan wrote:Also, someone made that "what good will come from the movie?" thread, and bringing merchandise to this subject seems only natural. The movie will have posters and wallscrolls which might actually look great, not to mention all the other stuff.

I did not think of all the other possibilities for merchandise. But would not all the posters and such have the real actors? That might suck, if the movie turns out bad. We might get some figures out of it, that would be nice.

Originally posted on: 24-Jul-2003, 01:53 GMT

Argy M Saillune [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Argy M Saillune [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:32 pm

I have a feeling that if the movie is being produced for a general American audience, the spiritual aspect of the series will be omitted, and only the action will remain. The movie will simply be about people who pilot giant robots in order to fight alien invaders.

I'm also wondering from where the funding is coming...

Originally posted on: 24-Jul-2003, 04:15 GMT

KT Kore [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KT Kore [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:32 pm

Argy M Saillune wrote:I have a feeling that if the movie is being produced for a general American audience, the spiritual aspect of the series will be omitted, and only the action will remain. The movie will simply be about people who pilot giant robots in order to fight alien invaders.

I doubt it.

Originally posted on: 24-Jul-2003, 04:21 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:32 pm

I think the movie will do the same thing it did to LotR, cheapen it's intellectual atmosphere.

Originally posted on: 24-Jul-2003, 04:32 GMT

Faust [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Faust [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:32 pm

I'm not sure why they're even trying to make the live action movie, seeing as the chances of it being successful are rather slim, and look what one failed big budget movie did to Square Image

Really, it's the kind of work that I, personally, don't feel would translate well into a live action film... it's original success is a bit confusing to begin with... I think this is pushing it.

I do like the manga version though. -o-;

Originally posted on: 24-Jul-2003, 04:48 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:32 pm

People who try to make these movies should first come to forums like this to find out if its something people would like. Maybe the person who started these dicussion is doing just that. Makes you think doesn't it

Originally posted on: 24-Jul-2003, 05:40 GMT

Eva [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:32 pm

O sorry about that.O k here this should be better.LOTR movie did fairly well because it was made from a book while FF was made from a game which fail.FF movie sucked right.Well an anime was made for FF and hat sucked.FF movie should have never been made in first place there just to many of them and i would have prefer an anime for ff7 but the gave us that comp made one like some baby stuff like toy story.Well the point is really should'nt mess with a good thing evangelion is still the best why don't they leave like that.This movie will probally make people think the anime sucks too and that would suck

Originally posted on: 24-Jul-2003, 07:56 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Thats a good point.

There was also the Super Mario Bros Movie, Resident Evil, G-Saviour, Fist of the north Star, and a lot of other. All were an anime or game at one time but their movie counter-parts sucked.

P.S. Doesn't apply in all cases like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies were good as well as the game and series. I liked them at least.

Originally posted on: 24-Jul-2003, 14:12 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”