Misato & Shinji

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:30 am

I think that if Misato was at one point considering physical intimacy with Shinji, it was because she was still confused as to what exactly her feelings for him were, and also because she didn't really know how else she could express affection for him, even if she didn't think of him in a romantic way. Misato didn't get enough love from her father when she was a little girl, and so she doesn't really know how to express love towards her surrogate son/brother.

However, I do believe that Misato loved Shinji. Not really in a romantic way, but as family. The moment I realised that Misato's maternal affection for Shinji was sincere was in End of Evangelion, and the paralells between Misato and her father. Misato's father proved that he loved her when he shoved her into the last survival capsule to save her life, and allowed himself to die. With Misato, she did virtually the same thing when she shoved Shinji into the elevator. That was the one time that her father showed her how much he actually loved her, and she ended up doing it herself with Shinji. I got filled up with all kinds of warm bubbly feelings when I caught this. ^_^
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:35 am

I don't see where all this discussion is stemming from. It's obvious she was willing to have sex with him if it would bring him back to reality. It's called sympathy sex people.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:08 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:What would YOU gather from that if you were Shinji and Misato put her hand on yours. Would you think that this was just a purely platonic thing? I really don't know...

Given their relationship, a motherly hug and cuddle, however ineptly done (Misato being as uncertain in her role as Shinji in his) -- just holding, just being there.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:57 am

I think it would've been different had she just put her hand on his, or put her hand on his shoulder, or something like that. But rather, it's the talk before it. "This is all I can do for you right now." The way she says it too kinda implies... something more than just holding hands.

Plus, her intimacy speach afterwards is enough to make me believe she had planned on doing more than just holding Shinji's hand.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:28 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I think it would've been different had she just put her hand on his, or put her hand on his shoulder, or something like that. But rather, it's the talk before it. "This is all I can do for you right now." The way she says it too kinda implies... something more than just holding hands.

Plus, her intimacy speach afterwards is enough to make me believe she had planned on doing more than just holding Shinji's hand.

I might have to watch that episode again...
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:28 am

Shinji would either have to be really paranoid or really horny to interperet "This is all I can do for you" as "Take your pants off, sweetie." Well, then again, he WAS paranoid and horny, but he was also sexually naive, so I doubt he'd really have caught that Misato might want to be "more than just friends."

If I were in Shinji's shoes, I would think that she was reffering to holding his hand, and nothing else. Also, I still do not remember Misato saying "Is he afraid of intimacy?" afterwards, but then again it's been a while since I last watched Evangelion. I recall her saying something more like "Is it because I'm a girl, or is he just afraid of getting close to someone?"

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:06 am

ep23' plat subs wrote:Misato (MONO):
But he must be feeling lonely.
Is he afraid of women?
No, he's afraid of being intimate with people.

Misato:
Pen Pen, come here.

Misato (MONO):
I see, it doesn't matter who. I am the one who is lonely.

I don't think Shinji necessarily saw that as a come-on, at that point he was beyond consolation. He says that he feels sad, but can't cry. However, it doesn't matter what Shinji thinks, it's Misato who's attempting to put things into motion, only later realizing she wasn't trying to comfort Shinji at all, but herself.

And to add to that. I, personally, don't think she intended to drop his pants and do the deed. Moreso just to be in a position of intimacy, her only source of comfort.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Shin-seiki » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:23 am

Timstuff wrote:Shinji would either have to be really paranoid or really horny to interperet "This is all I can do for you" as "Take your pants off, baby!" If I were in Shinji's shoes, I would think that she was reffering to holding his hand, and nothing else. Also, I still do not remember Misato saying "Is he afraid of intimacy?" afterwards, but then again it's been a while since I last watched Evangelion. I recall her saying something more like "Is it because I'm a girl, or is he just afraid of getting close to someone?"
You need to look at the Big Picture:
1: In #02, we get some "anticipatory irony":

RITSUKO:
What?!

Misato:
So, I said, I'll take care of Shinji. I've already got permission
from the brass. Hey, it's not like I'm going to "put the moves" on a kid.

RITSUKO (TEL - OFF):
Of course you're not! What the hell are you thinking?
You're always like that. Honestly!

Misato:
She just can't take a joke.

2: 20+ eposodes later, we get the pay-off for that set-up:

Misato (OFF):
Shinji, I'm coming in.

Shinji:
Miss Misato, the tears won't come.
I feel sad, but the tears just won't come.

Misato:
Shinji, this is about all I can do for you right now.

Shinji:
Stop it!
Stop it, Miss Misato.

Misato (OFF):
I'm sorry.

Misato (MONO):
But he must be feeling lonely.
Is he afraid of women?
No, he's afraid of being intimate with people.

Misato:
Pen Pen, come here.

Misato (MONO):
I see, it doesn't matter who. I am the one who is lonely.

Watching the scene, it should be readily apparent that Misato was coming on to Shinji, both from the vehemence of his reaction, and her obvious chagrin as she beats a hasty retreat from his room. Also remember the context of the scene; Misato has lost Kaji, and, if you pay attention to her reaction after Rei blows herself up earlier in the ep, it should be apparent that she was as traumatized by the outcome of that battle as anyone. Her comments after she leaves his room make it clear that she was trying to assuage her own guilt, pain, and loneliness at this point, and Shinji was just the most convenient target (i.e. she pretends when she enters his room that she was doing this for him, but she admits afterward that her motives were actually selfish).

3. Shinji is thoroughly freaked out by Misato's come-on, and this affects his attitude towards her for the rest of the series:
(#24')

KAWORU:
What are you doing today?

Shinji:
Well, the regular tests are over,
so all I have left is to take a shower and go home, but...
But the truth is, lately, I don't really want to go home.

(and #25'):

Shinji:
Both Misato and Ayanami scare me.
Help me...
Help me, Asuka.

4: Misato realizes that her behaviour the previous episode violated the proper boundaries of her relationship with Shinji:
(#24')

Misato:
Shinji still hasn't returned either. I've failed as a guardian.

5: When the #23 incident is revisited during Instrumentality, it becomes perfectly obvious that Misato's intentions when she entered his room were less than pure:
#25:

Shinji:
Stop it, Miss Misato!

Misato:
Sometimes, I lose all hope for myself! I hate it!

IBUKI:
Filth, you're so dirty.

RITSUKO:
You're pathetic.

Asuka:
Disgusting! You're just foul!
That's what you call a mature relationship?!
You make me puke!

And finally, there is the 'Checkpoint' for the scene in the Newtype filmbook for #23, which declares baldly that Misato was offering her body to Shinji when she entered his room.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:53 am

To add to that, I think the fact this happened in 25':

certianly didn't help in terms of his fear of her.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:02 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:And finally, there is the 'Checkpoint' for the scene in the Newtype filmbook for #23, which declares baldly that Misato was offering her body to Shinji when she entered his room.

But it conveniently includes conditionals just for the people who "don't want to go there".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby Kaminoyouni » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:04 pm

Reichu wrote:who "don't want to go there".
this is probably every one i try to talk to about the kinds of pairings i like. i like Shinji/Ritsuko and Shinji/Misato you do the math.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Ejinathan
Lilith

Postby Ejinathan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:01 am

Misato wa alwas a little grazy overboard... That one kiss with Shinji, that was her mistake, because what can Shinji think about that kiss. He's still 14 you know .... even she knows she did prolly something wrong.

Anyway she even question herself all the time that she do thing right or not.

what i'm thinking too:
Kaji is something to make Misato feel more like an adult in a way too, but she can't deny she has to grow up in her head, even tough she planned out great tactics against the Angels.

In our world there is still the thing im still a kid somewhere" and the biggest case it's respect in this world :p.
even if you have nothing left, just try to smile.
Even Goku smiles when he's about to die:D

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby Kaminoyouni » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:05 am

Ejinathan wrote: He's still 14 you know ....
we've been over this. and didn't Reichu state a few pages back that 14 is the age of consent?(in Japan that is)
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:15 am

As far as I know, age 14 in Japan is the age of consent with the permission of a guardian. But since Misato is Shinji's guardian, that kind of makes things a little shakey, lol. :P

Anyway, another interesting thing I've begun to wonder, is if Misato herself was concious that she was going to make an advance on Shinji until after the fact. Her sexuality has become such a second nature to her, that it wouldn't surprise me if she saw what she was doing as innocent, since she herself may not have been aware of her real intentions. Misato's realisation that "No, I'm the one who's lonely." seems like something she'd come to after realising that she was about to put the moves on her own ward.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby Kaminoyouni » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:31 pm

i wonder what we could've expected out of Shinji if it were Misato lying next to him at the end of EoE.
Proud Member of F.A.P.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Well, I don't think his first reaction would have been to stragle her. :P

I'd assume that even though Shinji got to see a side of Misato that he did not like during 3I, he'd still be happy to have her back.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Kaminoyouni wrote:i wonder what we could've expected out of Shinji if it were Misato lying next to him at the end of EoE.

Well since he was "scared" of her I don't think we would...

But that would be interesting..
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:01 pm

Timstuff wrote:Anyway, another interesting thing I've begun to wonder, is if Misato herself was concious that she was going to make an advance on Shinji until after the fact. Her sexuality has become such a second nature to her, that it wouldn't surprise me if she saw what she was doing as innocent, since she herself may not have been aware of her real intentions. Misato's realisation that "No, I'm the one who's lonely." seems like something she'd come to after realising that she was about to put the moves on her own ward.

No. The question is not; "Did Misato consciously try to advance on Shinji?". The question is not "Was she simply trying to comfort him?". The question is not; "Is she simply lonely?". The question is not; "Did she really know what she was doing?". There's a question here, but it's not any of these.

What is not in question is Misato's attempt to have sexual relations with Shinji. Most dismiss this on their first viewings, but once noted, we must inevitably conclude that it is the case in light of the evidence. She means to "have her way with him", probably whether he wants her to or not.

Others have pointed out the ticking irony bomb, the effect of the incident, and Misato's own confessions in #25'. I'd like to throw out a few more items. Specifically those dealing with the fact that Misato always had a sexual interest in Shinji. An interest which she has long held, and which is motivating her actions here.

From the outset, we have her sending him a sexually suggestive photograph, complete with lewd text and lipstick mark.
Episode #01 wrote:Image

Followed up later by her explicitly saying that she finds him attractive.
Episode #01 wrote:Image
Misato: You're no fun. You look cute, but you're kind of a cold fish.

Then we later have her taking him in, with her "irony-bomb" comment. Mentioned above, but repeated here again for completeness.
Episode #02 wrote:Image
Misato: Hey, it's not like I'm going to "put the moves" on a kid.

Again in episode #02, we have her stating that she used Shinji as a tool, and saying she's as bad as Ritsuko. A clear allusion to the latter's (sexual) relationship with Shinji's father.
Episode #02 wrote:Image
Misato (MONO):
That time, I was thinking of Shinji as a tool.
I'm as bad as Ritsuko.

Onward to episode #07, where we see Misato flaunting herself in front of Shinji
Episode #07 wrote:Image

Note that this is somthing he a) notices and b) doesn't like. It's obvious he's uncomfortable with her behaviour.

And we later have Misato turning up at his school in her most daring getup, smiling as all the young boys oogle her. (Do people still need convincing at this point?)

Tellingly, there's her extreme reaction to Kaji's jocular suggestion that she is sleeping with Shinji. The guilty are always loudest in proclaiming their innocence after all.
Episode #08 wrote:Image
Kaji:So, does she still toss and turn in bed?
Misato:Wha... wha... What are you saying?!

The heat is taken off Shinji slightly once Kaji arrives, but the moment he's gone we have this incident....
Episode #21' wrote:Image

...which has already been discussed in some detail above.

And in case that wasn't enough of a smoking gun, allow me to repost Sailor Star Dust's image
Sailor Star Dust wrote:Image

Episode #25' wrote:Misato:
That's a grownup kiss.
We'll do the rest when you get back...

What more evidence is required? We're not talking about some kind of once off incident or platonic affection here. Misato is very definitly sexually attracted to Shinji and has been so since the moment he arrived in Tokyo-3, if not before.

There's no ambiguity here. There's no confusion, or innocent intent on her part when she walks into that room. This is not a momentary lapse. She goes in, meaning to act on an inapporpriate desire that she's felt for quite some time. She's actually quite resolved to finally do it. Shinji's forceful rejection elicits a hurried apology from her, again revealing her intentions, and moreover her understanding of their inappropriateness.

Her sexual intent here is unquestionable, and of course inappropriate, which we have from her own words. We know she desires Shinji. But there is one remaining question. I think it's a question which hasn't really been looked at very seriously before, or else dismissed with the usual handwavings about "caring for", etc, etc or confused by the failings of the english language. That question is:

Did Misato fall in love with Shinji?

I'd like to deal with this and other aspects of their relationship in another post. But until then, if there is to be discussion of the question, please try and focus on what I really mean here. Not did she simply love him, but did she fall, romantically, in love with him. I don't think it's something that can be dismissed out of hand, and I think it's a definite possibility. Anyway, I'll post more on this later. Till then, get discussing!
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:23 pm

I don't know about discussing, but I will say: Excellent post and very enlightening OMF! All the more evidence that some of the most revealing things in NGE are so subtle that, unless you pay careful attention and put all the pieces together, you might miss something like this. I knew Misato's intentions in ep. 23, but until your post I don't think I realized that this definitely wasn't something that was a spur of the moment, "I need to comfort Shinji the only way I know how" type of thing.

Anyway, great post. You've convinced me.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:36 pm

Yeah, thanks OMF, it's a lot more clearer to me now, though that's what i've always thought, anyway.

I don't see any reason why she would "love" Shinji, as it's pretty clear she just wants to be intimate with him because he's there, to satisfy herself, as she has prior stated.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”