Eva pet peeves

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

MassiveInvader
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MassiveInvader » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:52 pm

I saw this one video on Youtube where this person said that one of the reasons why he wouldn't trust Shinji to pilot an eva for the human race is because "he looks like he has Down Syndrome". :headdesk: :headbash: :argh: :fume: :angry!!: :fuyu_facepalm: :shinchair:
I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:34 pm

Actual pet peeves, rather than just things I disliked/found problematic:

SPOILER: Show
"Eva doesn't make any sense."

"Eva is pretentious."

"They ran out of budget at the end."

"Anno was making it up as he went along." (to clarify, he was clearly changing shit all along the way, but it's not like he went into it with no goal in sight or was just winging it most of the time.)

"EoE is Anno's way of saying 'fuck you' to the fans."

"Asuka is a bitch."

"Asuka is tsundere."

"Shinji needs to grow a spine/some balls."

"Shinji grew a spine/some balls at the end of Break."

"Shinji is gay for Kaworu."

"Rei has no personality."

"Rebuild." (the term, not the NTE)

"Rebuild (sic) fixes everything that's wrong with NGE."

TIME TRAVEL

"Fanfic X is better than Eva because . . . " particularly if it involves rescuing Asuka from the harpies.

That's the short list.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:44 pm

It's sensible list but Asuka is tsundere as the category is large enough category to swallow her in.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:57 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:It's sensible list but Asuka is tsundere as the category is large enough category to swallow her in.

Only because it no longer means anything. These days anyone who isn't flat or nice all the time is labeled tsundere, even if their interactions with particular people are strikingly consistent. IMO Asuka is better labeled tsunshun, with Shikinami being a proper tsundere and a good illustration of why the term is misapplied in Soryu's case.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:53 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:isn't flat

but Kugikyu loli brand is the most notorious of them all!

View Original PostBagheera wrote:IMO Asuka is better labeled tsunshun

wtf is tsunshun? Shun as in shunning? That doesn't really describe Asuka's feelings towards Shinji because tsun + shun is 100% negative.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:53 pm

View Original PostKaminoyouni wrote:Asuka and A/S Shipping in general is my biggest pet peeve about Eva, sometimes i get so pissed I don't even

And now I can relate to it.

View Original PostTheAyanamiOtaku wrote:When people watch Evangelion for the nudity and the violence.

I didn't know people even watched it for either reason.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Actual pet peeves, rather than just things I disliked/found problematic:

TIME TRAVEL

"Fanfic X is better than Eva because . . . " particularly if it involves rescuing Asuka from the harpies.

That's the short list.

So, story where the author's favorite character is saved from certain doom? I know that feeling.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:08 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:but Kugikyu loli brand is the most notorious of them all!

Flat = boring, not pettanko. :lol:

wtf is tsunshun? Shun as in shunning? That doesn't really describe Asuka's feelings towards Shinji because tsun + shun is 100% negative.

Tsun = hostile
Shun = lonely

So, characters who use hostility to hide the fact that they're lonely and miserable. The thing with Asuka is that she doesn't really have any dere moments; even with Kaji it's just a mask, since to her he's a means of legitimating her adulthood rather that someone she genuinely values as a person. IMO the only person she comes close with is Hikari, and that's just garden variety friendship. Everyone else gets hostility, a flimsy mask, or both.

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:I didn't know people even watched it for either reason.

I have to think they'd be bored if they did.

So, story where the author's favorite character is saved from certain doom? I know that feeling.

Less that than fucking up a perfectly sound character arc with their own feeble-minded saccharine substitute and then having the gall to call it better than the original when it's obvious they don't have the slightest clue as to what was actually going on.

It's different if they make a change and then address the implications, but most of the fics offered up as "better" don't do that.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:09 pm

Vegeta 20XX wrote:I didn't know people even watched it for either reason.

Sure they do, violence and nudity are part of what got me interested in Eva when I first watched it (throw in religious symbolism, surrealistic monsters and giant robots in the mix as well). My 13 year old self was a much more immature person than me.

Almost forgot, the thing that gets on my nerves the most is Pen Pen reading a newspaper, seriously, everything else he does is fine, but the newspaper was too much.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:41 pm

The fan dumb. And sadly I can't say I'm totally free of it.

This is more a peeve with myself. I can't just walk away from Eva. Oh I know I should just set it down, and walk away, go watch and focus on something else for a while. But nooo, I always have to come back, get emotionally invested, and end up all pissed off and angry at Eva, vowing I'm done with it.
edit:
A lot of things that did use to be pet peeves got dropped as I learned parts of the real life story behind Eva, like they really did run out of money, and Anno's whole deppresion thing. I guess needing to know that could count as a pet peeve, in of itself.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:46 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:edit:
A lot of things that did use to be pet peeves got dropped as I learned parts of the real life story behind Eva, like they really did run out of money, and Anno's whole deppresion thing. I guess needing to know that could count as a pet peeve, in of itself.

Except they didn't. We have a bunch of threads on it, but the short version is that they ran out of time and had issues with the studios hired to do the work. I'm not saying they were rolling in money or anything (they weren't), the EoTV was the result of a bunch of factors, with money like the third or fourth on the list.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:41 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Except they didn't. We have a bunch of threads on it, but the short version is that they ran out of time and had issues with the studios hired to do the work. I'm not saying they were rolling in money or anything (they weren't), the EoTV was the result of a bunch of factors, with money like the third or fourth on the list.

Oh, right. Thanks for reminding me.

Another thing I remember bugged me and my friends when we first watched Eva. They kept sending the Eva's out with the pallete Rifle. That thing almost never did diddly squat! The last episode we all saw actually ended up being the one with Material. We kept rewinding and watching it over because we just could not belive the gun finally killed something.

Here's one I may get after 3.0

Shinji getting sole blame for 3rd Impact, and people ignoring Gendo and Seele's parts in it.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Speaking of which, Gendo manipulatng both Akagi's for that matter. Anime!Gendo may noy be a monster but he still is not very trustworthy.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Another thing I remember bugged me and my friends when we first watched Eva. They kept sending the Eva's out with the pallete Rifle. That thing almost never did diddly squat! The last episode we all saw actually ended up being the one with Material. We kept rewinding and watching it over because we just could not belive the gun finally killed something.

Good point - all of the Angels before and after Matariel were either immune or close to immune to conventional weapons for various reasons. Then again, given that the only weapons that WERE effective were the positron rifle, the Lance/Spear of Longinus, and the Evangelions themselves, I suppose the idea was that any weapon was better than no weapon at all.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:19 am

The Prog Knife also worked. Better than the guns anyway.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:09 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Another thing I remember bugged me and my friends when we first watched Eva. They kept sending the Eva's out with the pallete Rifle. That thing almost never did diddly squat! The last episode we all saw actually ended up being the one with Material. We kept rewinding and watching it over because we just could not belive the gun finally killed something.

Actually they rarely sent the Evas out with pallet rifles because the Angels attacked in ways that rendered them useless. Had Shinji learned how to utilize his ATF earlier on they would have worked fine against Sachiel and Shamshel, but they didn't even try with Ramiel and couldn't with Gaghiel, Sandalphon, Sahaquiel, Iruel, Arael, or Kaworu. That left Israfel (who cheated), Matarael (it worked that time!), Leliel (they didn't use rifles there, and she cheated anyway), Bardiel (special case), Zeruel and Armisael (who both legitimately blew 'em off).

So they only legitimately failed in two cases, and both those guys were pretty badass. The others either cheated or were so baroque the rifles just didn't come into play.

Edit: The prog knife was actually in much the same boat; it worked against Shamshel, Sandalphon, and Sahaquiel, but that's about it. As best I can recall it wasn't even employed otherwise (well, Asuka used it against the MPEs, but pretty much any weapon would have worked there since they weren't bothering with ATFs).

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:19 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:As best I can recall it wasn't even employed otherwise

Used on Armisael. Brought out for Gaghiel, but couldn't be used. First engagement against Israfel was mostly off-screen, so could have been used then.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:43 pm

The whole "god why doesn't Shinji man up?" shtick.

It's kind of like how people treat people with emotional disabilities in real life and I start to feel sick after hearing it too long.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:04 pm

List of pet peeves? Let's see:

"Shinji sucks."
"Asuka handled her emotional problems better than Shinji."
"Gendo Ikari wasn't THAT bad...."
"Yui Ikari was a good person and a saint!"
"Fuyutsuki was innocent of all crimes."
"Misato's a slutty slob!"
"End of Evangelion was a good ending to the series."
The hospital scene.
"Shinji's a wimp and needs to man up!"
"(End of) Evangelion makes complete and total sense!"
"Asuka's a tsundere!"
"Rei is a doormat!"
"The original series is GLORIOUS and PERFECT and no spinoff could come close to its greatness!"
"Rebuild is crap because it's new!"
"Shinji's as bad a monster as his father!"
"Gendo's not evil, he's misunderstood!"
"SEELE are well-intentioned people with clever plans for humanity!"
"EVAs have genders!"

There's more, but I think that is enough for now.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:27 pm

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:List of pet peeves? Let's see:

I spot at least a few caricatures on that list. Might not be quite as annoying if the positions/arguments weren't so simplified?

I haven't really been following the thread, so I'm sure others are just as guilty... I've kind of refrained from posting here myself since it seems to basically amount to

"[Insert exaggerated and ridiculous-sounding version of some position I don't agree with here]"
or
"Stop disliking/liking what I like/dislike"
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Most of those caricatures are things I've actually seen people outside the forum say at least half a dozen times. I wish I was lying.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”