Rei and Kaworu and "Misaimed Fandom"

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Rei and Kaworu and "Misaimed Fandom"

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Have you visited [url]http://www.tvtropes.org[/url] ? You should...it's basically an attempt to list, describe, and title every trope in fiction ever, with examples.

Here is the entry forMisaimed Fandom, explained as "Then, in the writer's eyes, the loudest part of the fandom completely missed the point. They saw subtext where there was none, or else they didn't see the subtext, but only the text-text. They liked the text-text."

An example listed:

"Like many aspects of the show, Rei Ayanami in Neon Genesis Evangelion was a Deconstruction: in her case, of the stereotypical Creepy Emotionless Girl. The result? Three words: "ZOMGF TEH Rei!!!!11!1". Director Hideaki Anno took personal issue that Rei was fetishized among otaku for that exact same reason.

Likewise in the same series, the enigmatic single-episode character Kaworu became popular, to the surprise of writers who admitted they were writing him to be unsettling to other characters. The manga (made after the anime) greatly compensates for this; for example the anvilicious scene where he puts a starving kitten out of its misery without blinking an eye, just to make his character creepier. (This has not, however, affected his much sooner planned appearance in the future remake of the show.)"

Personally, I'm tempted to dismiss it, because right after this, the person who contributed to the entry talked about the "EoE as giant bird-flip" theory right afterwards,

"In fact, the whole of End of Evangelion movie is frequently interpreted as a vicious retort to the fans who complained about the way the TV series actually ended, plus Anno's own disgusted conflict with the otaku lifestyle that had previously endeared him to fans. The original ending of the series, as planned by Hideaki Anno and revealed in the film, was even more confusing -- and just to drive the point home, Anno reworked it into a Kill Em All Downer Ending. (This intention is marked pretty clearly in the film; several death threats received by Studio Gainax after the end of the TV series are flashed on the screen at one point, with the clear implication that these people deserve a Take That.) "

, but also seem to understand that EoE wasn't actually made just to piss off the fans, while still seeming to imply that those motivations at least went partway into its creation. All very confusing.

So I'm also wondering if anybody, *anybody* out there has any idea of where this notion about Rei and Kaworu and author's intent might have come from, or if it's just another of those things.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:18 pm

Tv tropes actually got me into Eva fandom. However, I suspect that we need to use our uber-knowledge powers to rewrite certain Evangelion entries.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Rei and Kaworu and "Misaimed Fandom"

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Incisivis wrote:So I'm also wondering if anybody, *anybody* out there has any idea of where this notion about Rei and Kaworu and author's intent might have come from...

If they can't provide SAUCE, they made it up.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:16 pm

TV Tropes Wiki is just as bad as Leaky, cause in point, see and laugh at the screw-ups in Shinji's article: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShinjiIkari

The mistakes in the above is all the more reason for the EG site to NOT fall into such traps and be as well-written as we can make it.

Also: LOL She's in a Coma I think this has another error, as I do NOT recall Shinji *ahem* "getting any on her".

On the plus side, some people on site seem to "get" the Soul-splitting and how Lilith's soul is both within Rei 2 and Zerogoki. So that's good at least.

But to answer the topic at hand: Clearly, they're making shit up or are misinformed fans.

Anyway, since this topic was created, I wanted to ask something else
because I don't think it's worthy to have it's own topic: The book Japanimerica briefly mentions Eva several times.

On one page (somewhere in the 100s, I believe), a person being interviewed mentioned how Studios would borrow/use ideas from Doujinshi about their works. A paraphrased line: "Director Hideaki Anno of Evangelion would often use concepts or ideas from Doujinshi, his way of winking back at them and saying "Here, guys!""

What I wanna know is, has anybody heard this before and is there a SAUCE for it?
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Director Hideaki Anno took personal issue that Rei was fetishized among otaku for that exact same reason.

Yeah, I'd like to know the source of this info, too... :rolleyes:

Then again, our site claims the same thing (even though it is on a sandbox page):

Lol Evageeks wrote:The series creators themselves actually really hate these things, because they have literally nothing to do with the characters or story they created, and most often, are things the characters would never do.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:05 pm

That should be edited out of whatever article it's in, then.

@SSD: I have no idea. I've never heard of that, either. I think there is one interview with Anno in a shounen ai doujinshi anthology -- that might be a place to look for SAUCE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:21 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Anyway, since this topic was created, I wanted to ask something else
because I don't think it's worthy to have it's own topic: The book Japanimerica briefly mentions Eva several times.

On one page (somewhere in the 100s, I believe), a person being interviewed mentioned how Studios would borrow/use ideas from Doujinshi about their works. A paraphrased line: "Director Hideaki Anno of Evangelion would often use concepts or ideas from Doujinshi, his way of winking back at them and saying "Here, guys!""

What I wanna know is, has anybody heard this before and is there a SAUCE for it?

I know where you're getting at SSD, and I want you to stop thinking those right now, or we'll both be horribly dissapointed.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:54 pm

Well Incisivis, I'm afraid we cannot argue with this fellow: as you know, as soon as anyone, anywhere posts anything on the internets, that thing becomes a Fact.

On an unrelated note, everyone please visit the EvaPedia!
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:34 pm

That site is wrong about a lot of things, but thank you for sharing anyway. It's very entertaining =)
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:15 am

Reichu wrote:I think there is one interview with Anno in a shounen ai doujinshi anthology -- that might be a place to look for SAUCE.
Is that the place where he said NGE was a "masturbation show" or something like that?

I'm pretty sure an interview in a shounen ai book would probably shed some light on Anno's intentions with Kaworu's subtext, so it's worth looking into as much as, say, the Proposal or CI.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:23 am

Like a lot of things, I think there's a hint of truth in however large of a dung heap that is. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Anno's relationship with the otaku community and, in particular, their fetishes and fascinations isn't quite... kosher. It's certainly no secret what Anno really wanted NGE to be, and I think it's very likely he was/is/has been upset with those people who'd rather focus on the completely superficial aspects. I mean, Rei really doesn't work as a real narrative character (IMO)... but that's what people love her has. How is it not possible to see what a giant, walking metaphor she is? :think:
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:47 am

NAveryW wrote:Is that the place where he said NGE was a "masturbation show" or something like that?

I don't know. That's one of the ones I don't have.

Aaron, on the other hand......
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Re: Rei and Kaworu and "Misaimed Fandom"

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Reichu wrote:
Incisivis wrote:So I'm also wondering if anybody, *anybody* out there has any idea of where this notion about Rei and Kaworu and author's intent might have come from...

If they can't provide SAUCE, they made it up.

I figured.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:30 pm

Reichu wrote:That should be edited out of whatever article it's in, then.

I'll be happy to, if you say it indeed is horsecrap.

Sandoz
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Sandoz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:35 pm

I once heard that Asuka was originally intended to be the "iconic" Eva girl and Anno was surprised when the fanbase rabidly latched onto Rei instead, but I can't recall the SAUCE so it probably isn't true.

Bluespade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bluespade » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:49 pm

That sounds like common sense to me.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”