Earth & Water Stuff

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Szmitten
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Earth & Water Stuff

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:58 am

As seen throughout the film, the ocean is red. I'm sure like most people I pissed mountains when I saw that first shot. However, there are several instances during Ramiels first appearance where the ocean and rivers are clearly blue.

Continuity error? Are certain water sources unnaffected?
Last edited by Szmitten on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:20 am

The early red-water shots were probably just a visual suggestion of what was to come, not necessarily the actual natural water colour.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Gendo'sPapa
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:21 am

Maybe just the ocean is red and the lakes, rivers, and what not are blue.

Who knows.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:44 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Maybe just the ocean is red and the lakes, rivers, and what not are blue.

Who knows.

Anno, and only Anno. And possibly the Imperialist's sensei.
Normality is overrated

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Do we know for sure it's not just that one area that has red water? Oh, right, we saw Earth from the last shot on the moon and it had red oceans, didn't it? Ne'er mind. It may just be difficult to remember that water is always supposed to be red in natural locations (but having red water during the bath scene would just be weird).

It'd be a shame if we already encountered a big continuity error like this, though admittedly it's just in the art and not a problem with the story itself.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Phantom_Blitz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Phantom_Blitz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:39 pm

Maybe it has to do with the depth of the water?

yokuchi
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby yokuchi » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:25 pm

I was under the impression that the oceans turned red after the second impact. I guess the blue water might just be purified for drinking and public utilities.
insert witty and offensive political banter here

Skullraper
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:26 pm

Indigo Arcangel wrote:Anno, and only Anno. And possibly the Imperialist's sensei.

That was a hilarious thread. Wasn’t he banned?

Anyway, it would make sense for freshwater bodies to be a different color. A real life parallel would be salinity. If the ocean is salty why aren’t the rivers? The simple answer is that lakes and rivers are replenished by a different source of water then the oceans (ground water). Simply stated, whatever is making the ocean red would not travel upstream for the same reasons that salt doesn’t.

cat42
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:40 pm

http://www.arahij.net/gallery/weva/img/lilith_moon.jpg

THis has a shot of the earth. Make of it as you will.

I dunno if the blue at earth's edges has something to do with atmosphere, or if a 3rd of the ocean or so is red, or what...
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Yes, the blue at the edges does appear atmospheric, since the rest is all red...
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Milton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Milton » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:21 pm

Just a thought... the pure water (H2O) is "always blue" (I know it isn't depends on lots of things). Now, the components that you can add may shift the color... soo if the ocean somehow (after EoE world?!) has LCL components thus making it red, my guess is that the rivers and lakes are still blue because of the water cycle (it is purified when it evaporates and when it rains it is "blue water").

don't know if the blue water that we see, in the movie, is from a ocean but, if it isn't that I guess this "theory" is somehow correct

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Even the bathwater is red!
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Hold it right there, V...you've been going on this long enough! I'll get back to ya all shortly.

Edit: There is a lot of ordinary blue or muddy brown water in the movie. The garish red is reserved for the oceans. Note that the swimming pool, a much larger body of water than that bathtub, has sparkling blue water.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:07 am

UrsusArctos wrote:The garish red is reserved for the oceans.

Nope. Been watching the cam-rip and the bath-water is most definately red!
Normality is overrated

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:46 am

The bath-tub itself seems pinkish, and notice the censorship of the bodies below the waterline. Take a look at the swimming pool or the vastly huger Fuji lakes. Those aren't red!

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:21 am

maybe they are not red (the lakes) because they flow out to the sea??
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:30 am

Ever since when did anyone use seawater in a bathtub? Of course the lakes are all blue...the scene where the VTOLS are flying over the mountains has a shot of red oceans while lakes only few kilometers inland are perfectly okay. 2I seems to have fouled all ocean water on Earth. I wonder if there are any seaweed or saltwater fish products in Rebuild- deterioration in marine life would seem logical. For that matter, whatever is coloring the oceans red would remain in the oceans and not spread through the water cycle to other water bodies.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:31 pm

Indigo Arcangel wrote:the bath-water is most definately red!

That's going to make Asuka's important scene even more ambiguous...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Milton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Milton » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Things like the ocean's being red and other possible hints that this may be a sequel are probably there just to tell the story in 4:30 min.. but I may be wrong.. and "knowing" Mr. Anno I guess that we won't get an answer to this red sea thing

JP
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JP » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:44 pm

Post second impact earth, anything goes I guess.

I would imagine any body of water that connects to the antarctic would be red.
The pregnancy is now absolute.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”