Rei and the myth of the Triple Goddess

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Rei and the myth of the Triple Goddess

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:11 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_goddess

Luna and Rei are often depicted together in Evangelion, and I believe this is yet another reference that goes beyond mere coincidence. Perhaps Rei I, II, and III correspond to the Maiden, pure and a representation of new beginnings; the Mother (Yui anyone?), wellspring of life, giving and compassionate; and the Crone, wise, knowing, a culmination of a lifetime of experience. I don't find it too difficult to see the similarities.

In many ancient religions and myths, the moon was associated with women and the triple goddess. Since a woman's cycle was often synchronized with the moon it was seen as a symbol of fertility and a very powerful force. The moon symbolizes the phases of a woman's life.

The triple goddess is a maiden during the waxing moon, mother during the full moon and crone during the waning moon. The maiden is innocent and young, the mother fertile and loving, yet a fierce protector of her young and the crone is age and wisdom yet also the gateway to death.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Oblivious
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Oblivious » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:34 am

To answer this question, first of all we have to identify the defining factors of Reis 1, 2 and 3.

Rei 1: The only significant things I can think of is that she was the first Rei, possibly representing birth, and that she was the trigger, not cause, of Naoko's murder cum suicide. Ironically it was Rei's innocence that was the trigger of Naoko's death, because she didn't have the maturity not to speak her mind (I do not believe that Gendo sent her, which is another story).

Corresponding Goddess: The Maiden (Greek Persephone), pure and a representation of new beginnings

Rei 2: This Rei is all about discovery of her long suppressed feelings and emotions, including those she had for Shinji. Finally culminating in her sacrificing herself and Unit 00 to save his life. Not to mention Shinji's observation that she was like a 'Mother'

Corresponding Goddes: The Mother (Greek Demeter), wellspring of life, giving and compassionate

Rei 3: We all know that this Rei becomes a true 'Goddess' whose task was to carry out the extermination of the human race and the gathering of their souls into 'Black Moon'. This would represent the Death/Rebirth aspect. Let's not forget her words to Shinji in EoE, which is what I would describe as 'Wise' and 'Knowing'

Corresponding Goddess: The Crone (Greek Hecate) wise, knowing, a culmination of a lifetime of experience.
http://graveyardofroses.spaces.live.com
You can either choose to change yourself or change your surroundings. All decisions are variations of those two.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:05 am

I Hate say this but , this topic has come up before , look through all the threads.

But I agree with Oblivious statement. I think he has "hit the nail on the head" , he has got the right idea.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:31 am

I can't find another topic referring to Rei and the triple goddess...
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:22 am

I diffently remember one , from a month and half ago

(edited)

Here is is ( I think it is that one , maybe there is another)

[url]http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=305[/url]

But lets get back on topic[/url]
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:58 am

that's interesting Dave..and i have to agree exactly with Oblivion..whatever he said seem to be right..
and greek mythology is pretty famous,maybe Anno took some things from it..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:59 am

The more I read into Evangelion, the more I wonder whether this is all just some cosmic coincidence, or did Anno really go super in depth into the fundamentals of various religions to come up with source material?

I don't believe in coincidence, so I'd say Anno was really devoted to making sure a lot had ties to a variety of religions.

Dave and Oblivious, I can't argue with those ideas, I agree. Bravo for presenting such an airtight idea.
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Tsukasa
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tsukasa » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:01 pm

Besides the idea of the Triple Goddess idea, I also think she may be a representation of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit since her role in the series is that of some kind of savior.

I have also read that she could be a representation of the Choir of Cherubim.
Romans 3:23

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Alright, this is necrothreading an old-ass thread, but I was hesitant to start a new one for something that might not be as big a deal as I think it is.

Anyway, I picked up a big coffee-table sized book from the bargain bin a couple months back full of Hindu & Buddhist iconography, artistry, and massive paintings entitled Celestial Gallery (Romo Shrestha, text by Ian A. Baker). I was leafing through it not too long ago when a painting of the White Tama brushed my vision, and unfortunately, I neither own nor have immediate access to a scanner bed large enough for me to give you the exact painting I’m looking at right now, but I DID do a google image search and found this one that—while not the same—is suitable enough for the purposes of this post:
If I come across an image of this exact one in my book, I’ll upload it

Notice: lidded eyes on soles of feet, palms of hands, and forehead. I made a connection to GNR—what with her vulvae palms and whatnot—particularly with GNR’s third eye manifesting inside a vulvae on her forehead. Granted, GNR doesn’t have eyes in her palms, and we don’t see the soles of her feet (though I’d imagine she’s got some vulvae down there as well… if she even HAD feet), but I’m not sure if that’s quite so important.

The text accompanying the picture says this:
Ian A. Baker wrote: “Upon the orb of the a moon in the center of the anthers of a softg and tender lotus, its petals full blown, the body of the goddess, sensuous, ravishing, mother of all the Conquerors: there I direct my prayers.” So wrote the Fifth Dalai Lama in praise of the goddess Tara, described in her liturgies as the “mother of all Buddhas.” Originating in Indian cults of Shakti worship, Tara was assimilated into the Tibetan tradition where, through multiple emanations, she functions as savioress and supreme protectress. In her white form, Tara confers longevity and fulfills earthly desires through the activities of of pacifying, increasing, and subjugating. In her left hand she holds a lotus, a symbol of the mind’s innate purity. Her right hand is stretched outward in a gesture of bestowing boons. On both palms, as well as on the soles of her feet, are eyes of transcendent wisdom, symbolizing that all her activities are conducted with omniscient awareness. An inverted eye on her forehead similarly indicates her enlightened vision.

[…]

Unlike goddesses associated with fertility, Tara is approached primarily as a protector and preserver of life. [...]

The qualities of White Tara are ultimately inseparable from our own. Her loving kindness reflects an innate altruism that arises spontaneously from recognizing our oneness with all creation. Awakening is not a solipsistic retreat from unwanted realities, but a reaching outward to embrace the world with infinite compassion. If we see through to Tara’s essence, she frees us from self-serving thoughts and encourages us to act selflessly, and wisely, for the benefit of all beings: the surest prescription for a long and fulfilling life.
I cut out a few bits discussing the painting itself (since the pic I posted isn’t the one the text is commenting on anyway). Though sometime I would like to find an image of the one in my book; the text goes on to make note of some rather interesting things going on in the background that could relate to aspects of EoE and NGE, but these things are unfortunately absent from this pic.

Of particular note are the obvious themes of oneness vs loneness brought up in EoE and GNR’s use as the mechanism that initiates/drives/sustains Instrumentality, and how these correlate to the White Tama’s representation of ‘recognizing oneness’. Also, I found it rather interesting that GNR (or more appropriately, Instrumentality) is seen as an inevitable but ultimately ‘bad’ construct created around one mind’s solipsistic tendencies that bends & merges other minds to its will—and, perhaps not-coincidentally, one of the White Tama’s aspects is to ‘free’ individuals from things like selfishness and egocentrism that often reinforce these escapist trends. This, perhaps most importantly, is not unlike the “what is a dream” sequence near the end of EoE, wherein Rei/Lilith, Shinji, and anyone else who felt like joining in dialogued about the nature of reality, dreaming, escapism, and loneliness, with Rei/Lilith (IIRC, I’m long overdue for a rewatch) ultimately convinced and reaffirmed Shinji out of retaining the escapist indulgences that Instrumentality offered.

I doubt this can offer any more insight on the GNR/Instrumentality event, but I did find this correlation interesting. Maybe I'm stretching things a little with the resemblances?

discuss

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:27 pm

Great find Merridian. This is, if nothing else, a definite visual connection to GNR. But I think there's probably more to it than that.

One of the central concepts of Hinduism (I'm not sure about Buddism), that that of Brahman and Atman. Essentially, Brahman is the great central mass from which Atman (i.e. souls) "break off" from and live their lives before ultimately returning to Brahman. The analogy here is that Brahman is like the Sea and souls are like drops of spray that come off it. There's a big philosophical link here to Souls, Lilith and GNR.

The allknowing Wikipedia claims that the White Tara is known in Japan as the Tarani Bosatsu, which makes it possible that someone at Gainax may have been aware of this deity. It certainly seems like plausible connection. Again, how much we can read into it is a matter of debate, but I think there's a strong case for the visuals here.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”