What are the "Adams"?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:58 am

Thanks to Seele00TextOnly for this discovery, which links the four Adams to mythology already previously referenced in Neon Genesis.

"The Kabalists teach the existence of four distinct Adams, or the transformation of four consecutive Adams," according to... well, crap. According to Mme. Helena Blavatsky's The Secret Doctrine.

Despite Blavatsky saying it's a Kabalistic concept, she was probably lying. The only references to four Adams I can find anywhere on the cybernet are to Evangelion or to theosophy, and Blavatsky liked to fabricate information to make her words appear more credible.

Sorry, AuraTwilight, but it looks like connections with theosophy in Wevangeliwon may turn out to be inescapable. The question is whether or not Khara intended to reference theosophy in this situation or whether they were just trying to reference the Kabbalah and didn't check whether or not Blavatsky was making this stuff up.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Sorry, AuraTwilight, but it looks like connections with theosophy in Wevangeliwon may turn out to be inescapable. The question is whether or not Khara intended to reference theosophy in this situation or whether they were just trying to reference the Kabbalah and didn't check whether or not Blavatsky was making this stuff up.

I'll hold out until the end purely out of spite. And also because at this point Rebuild has proven to be mostly trollans.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:33 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't consider anything definite yet. But it makes more sense to me than mitama.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Mitama makes more sense to me due to precedent.

Also, Mari is a FAR. Suck on that.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:38 pm

So according to Rei's creepy collar, she's "Rei 2".

The insane 3.0 trailer shows us four other Rei.

I wondered for quite a while why one of the Adams has six little black thingies around its big black thingy, but suddenly IT ALL MADE SENSE TO ME.

(Note: I'm not sure how seriously I take this. It's for fun if nothing else.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Is there any proof showing that the pilots themselves are the "Adams" in question? Evas were created from Adam, is it possible that they could be incomplete without their pilot in some fashion? And is an Eva more than the giant humanoid monster we see? I haven't been able to put my thoughts into anything resembling a proper order, but I do have the sneaking suspicion that the Adams in question have been "cursed by humanity" far beyond the Evas themselves...
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:28 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Is there any proof showing that the pilots themselves are the "Adams" in question?

There's no proof that the Adams are related to anything else in the story, unfortunately. However, the "four Adams = four children meeting with Kaworu" is a tempting interpretation; so too is the similarity between the three-eyed Adam and the awakened Unit 01.

My instinct at this point is to identify the pilots with "LILIN+" rather than "ADAMS", but really it's too early to say that for sure.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:55 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:However, the "four Adams = four children meeting with Kaworu" is a tempting interpretation

Storyboard says that the shadows in that image belong to the four Reis.

My instinct at this point is to identify the pilots with "LILIN+" rather than "ADAMS", but really it's too early to say that for sure.

"LILIN+?" is just the caption that pops up before the "human" characters have their share of the preview. ALL OF THEM, including the boring ones that don't have any magic powers, like Kaji, Gendo, Misato, and Ritsuko. Hence, it would probably be more prurient to read the caption as "Lilin + ?", with the "?" referring to shady what-the-fucks like Kaworu (and possibly the other pubescents).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:38 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Storyboard says that the shadows in that image belong to the four Reis.

Goody! We can finally make sense of what is going on...

...or not.

Looks like there are four Giants of Light, and four Reis to go with them. Perhaps the danger of awakening Eva-01 was that Rei 2 was the Rei associated with Eva-01's original Giant of Light/Eva-01 in her original form. Gendo and Fuyutsuki did discuss the danger of putting Rei in Eva-01 prior to Operation Yashima, after all.

Rei 1, Rei 2, Rei 3 and Rei 4...four keys to an apocalypse?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Rei 1, Rei 2, Rei 3 and Rei 4...four keys to an apocalypse?

The four Rei in the preview don't necessarily include 1 and 2. That's where I was going with my post above. We see that one of the Adams has six small dots around the big dot. If Rei 2 and her implied predecessor are not included in the four Rei from the 3.0 preview, that's six Rei.

Those six dots didn't get there randomly, right?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:32 pm

That sounds crazy enough to actually be possible...

Kodaemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kodaemon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:36 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:So according to Rei's creepy collar, she's "Rei 2".

The insane 3.0 trailer shows us four other Rei.

I wondered for quite a while why one of the Adams has six little black thingies around its big black thingy, but suddenly IT ALL MADE SENSE TO ME.
SPOILER: Show

(Note: I'm not sure how seriously I take this. It's for fun if nothing else.)

I'm just going to leave this here:

just a signature

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:15 pm

This just poped in my head.
Alright Adams. There are Four. Four is considered to be a number of death in some cultures, iirc.
They are beings of white. White is the Japanese color of death.
2I? Massive deaths.
It's all about death. :scanners_head:

So if we try to tie this into the "Children = Adams"or "Eva-01 and 06 are Adams" idea, we get... I don't know just yet, this poped into my head and I haven't put much thought into it.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Actually, I'm not sure about the concept of the Adams being the Pilots specifically, but have we considered the idea of them being characters from the original series? 'Cause that's what they look like to me. I'd need a screen shot of where they appear in 2.22 to nail down any specifics, but when I saw them I could swear to you that at least one of them looked almost exactly like the silhouette of Kyoko we see in EoE.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Sik
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sik » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:50 am

Duh obviusly the four Adams means the four angel cores used to make super doooper powerfull boss evas like, 01, 06, 08, and the final and lucky numbered, eva 07 from Rebuild FINAL.

How do I know this?

Easy:

It just ocurred to me :).
The Beast!

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:27 am

Can't say where you're going with the tone of that post, Sik. Nevertheless, the notion of the Adams' cores being salvaged for something sounds quite possible, provided that they did not explode at 2I like they were meant to in the storyboard.

Sik
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sik » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:04 pm

I was just suggesting a brand-new theory? but not in a serious way. And I posted it because at least, its not completely impossible.
The Beast!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:36 pm

View Original PostKodaemon wrote:I'm just going to leave this here

Ooo, much obliged...!

But too bad that thing didn't make the final cut. :(((

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:provided that they did not explode at 2I like they were meant to in the storyboard.

Nobody is shown exploding in the storyboard. They just show blood squirting out from the South Pole; source is presumably the same as whatever is polluting the oceans.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Credit goes to Monk Ed for mentioning this to me.

I apologize if this was already brought up, but has the idea of "Eva plus the pilot equals former Adams" been brought up yet?

Something interesting from 1.11 (pretty sure this was in 1xx in general):

For Eva-01, Blood Type: Blue "A". Perhaps this "A" means the Adams? Kinda cute how Blue 4 is for the Fourth Angel.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:18 pm

^ Specifically, what I suggested was that I figured the pilots (except Rei) are the reincarnations of the Adams (that is, Lilin bodies with Adam souls), and the Evas that they pilot are their original bodies or in some cases (because there's obviously more than 4 Evas) clones thereof.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”