Why may we mention 4chan but not THAT BOARD?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 5063
Joined: Dec 21, 2006

Why may we mention 4chan but not THAT BOARD?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:40 pm

4chan is mentioned quite frequently on this site without consequence. However, it is forbidden to mention THAT BOARD due to pornographic content. But doesn't 4chan have just as much pornography on it? What exactly is the difference? Is it just because 4chan is already so widely known?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
User avatar
Posts: 1200
Joined: Jan 04, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:36 am

Lets just maintain the status quo just because. Why bother questioning things that were established before we joined?
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 5063
Joined: Dec 21, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:52 am

Because it doesn't make sense! :(
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End
User avatar
Posts: 8754
Joined: Jun 28, 2007
Location: Visiting forum at random

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:23 am

Porn isn't the only problem, THAT BOARD has a ton of pirated content. And regardless of what 4chan contains, it isn't a dedicated NGE fansite. Linking to another NGE fansite with piracy and pornography would make quite a few people angry with this site.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1294
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TriLink » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:44 am

What exactly is pirated over there? All I've ever seen is a whole lot of hentai drawn by people who probably don't get layed too often.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am

Anyone who wants to know about that pile of shit knows about it already, so I don't really see why it matters, other than for maintaining the status quo just cause.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 24044
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:50 am

It's a holdover from EMF, when Anal Aaron still had something of a presence.

For my part, we could get rid of the policy and I'd care less, although the place would still need to be mentioned "with care".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sep 08, 2007
Location: The Evil Lair of Doom, my room

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Imperialist » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:15 pm

Aside from its atrociously crappy contents that floats around that place, isn't that policy too 'hard-headed' in a way?
I feel old

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 24044
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:34 pm

The Imperialist wrote:Aside from its atrociously crappy contents that floats around that place, isn't that policy too 'hard-headed' in a way?

You may or may not recall that this forum was once Eva Monkey Forums, run by (in theory, anyway) Eva Monkey. He was (and still is, I imagine) of the devout conviction that THAT BOARD was pure evil and worth having shut down if not for the fact that he got things like scans of new manga stages there. In any case, it was CERTAINLY not the sort of thing whose existence could so much be acknowledged on his forum, although for some reason we got away with calling it "THAT BOARD".

Now that this isn't strictly his forum anymore, we could theoretically lighten up a little, although I wouldn't tolerate certain types of posts "recommending" the site (out of principle).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2137
Joined: Sep 08, 2007
Location: The Evil Lair of Doom, my room

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Imperialist » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:54 pm

I see. I remember I was in Eva Monkey, but I never remembered they had such rules (or I didn't come across it)
I feel old

yokuchi
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 76
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: up a tree, eating cakes
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby yokuchi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:06 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:Lets just maintain the status quo just because. Why bother questioning things that were established before we joined?


If you were born during an era of Nazi-ism, would you not bother to question the inhumanity because it started before you popped out?

(extreme example, but...whatever. and I wasn't purposely drawing parallels between nazis and this forum's rules; it just kindof sounds like I was, :lol: )

And I think THATBOARD is pure trash, (despite it's resourcefulness), and the rule should be kept.
insert witty and offensive political banter here

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1294
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TriLink » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:13 pm

yokuchi wrote:And I think THATBOARD is pure trash

Although it occasionally has it's uses, I agree with you for the most part.

Some of the stuff I've seen there is downright disturbing.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Posts: 5751
Joined: Feb 03, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:28 pm

EGF's biggest admirer of me (TriLink) wrote:Although it occasionally has it's uses, I agree with you for the most part.

Some of the stuff I've seen there is downright disturbing.
yet doesn't that describe the internet in general? :P

heck, that even describes the internet better than US Senator Ted Stevens' (R-AK) "series of tubes" analogy (yes, that's where the metaphor originated for all you n00bs out there)
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 22956
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: 私の中いる自分の心
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:05 pm

Reichu wrote:He was (and still is, I imagine) of the devout conviction that THAT BOARD was pure evil and worth having shut down if not for the fact that he got things like scans of new manga stages there.


Well, that answers my question on whether or not it was really Aaron that one time several months back saying how "[THAT BOARD] is the biggest blemish to Eva fandom." to which the THAT BOARD Anonymous replied that "[EMF] is nothing more then a bunch of fanwankers".

I believe I was doing this :roll: at that particular thread, though I seriously wanted to tell both sides to just chill and stop acting so immature. (Either side pointlessly bickering is the true blemish, in my mind.)

But any damn way, the reason THAT BOARD isn't linked to here is due to the fact it's Eva doujinshi/fan art porn as well as pirated content at various times. For instance, mp3s/videos of something from the series, torrents of the games, etc. If it would be linked, me thinks we have to "Proceed with CAUNTION" considering Evageeks if going to have some Legal Content* due to the Terms of Service/Constitution, anyway.

*Episode Scripts and a shitload of series images, for one thing.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 5063
Joined: Dec 21, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:28 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:the reason THAT BOARD isn't linked to here is due to the fact it's Eva doujinshi/fan art porn as well as pirated content at various times.
So is 4chan.

Also, posting a direct link to r**-a**n*mi.net is forbidden, but it's okay to say that it's the first Google result for "Rei Ayanami". You're going to the same site either way; it just adds one more layer that's meant to be penetrated.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 24044
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:39 pm

I say we drop the rule. And then, whenever Aaron shows up again, we say it's his punishment for abandoning us for so long.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 46
Posts: 11828
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Pittsburgh/New York City
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:12 pm

NAveryW wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:the reason THAT BOARD isn't linked to here is due to the fact it's Eva doujinshi/fan art porn as well as pirated content at various times.
So is 4chan.

I actually spend most of my time in the SFW boards, like /a/ and /w/.

Also, posting a direct link to r**-a**n*mi.net is forbidden, but it's okay to say that it's the first Google result for "Rei Ayanami". You're going to the same site either way; it just adds one more layer that's meant to be penetrated.

The problem is that indexing bots from google, yahoo and whatever search engine will find the link. If for some reason, THAT BOARD gets removed from indexing (for CP or some other illegal stuff), we can also be removed from indexing. Which would result in not being able to google search evangelion and have evageeks.org show up in the results.

Besides, what's the point in posting links to an image board?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 22956
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: 私の中いる自分の心
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:40 pm

Actually, it's the 2nd Google result for me, but I guess it depends on what you type in. ^^;

Anyway, I don't see why linking to THAT BOARD is a big deal since this page
http://evageeks.org/FGP/Online_Evangelion_communities implies they'll be a link to it sooner or later (Probably with a "needed" Not Safe For Work warning).

But Ornette, good point. I think Monkey mentioned a similar problem awhile ago, his personal views of the site aside.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 24044
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:54 pm

Ornette provides a very concrete and logical reason against linkage. This persuades me much more than Aaron's puritanism.

But in this sense, 4chan would pose a similar threat, would it not?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 2000
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
Location: @the end of the universe

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby V » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:46 pm

"THAT BOARD" is the Eva Fandom version of Tupile from the Dune Chronicles

If you haven't read the Dune Chronicles or don't remember, the idea is that the Spacing Guild holds a monopoly on interstellar space travel: you pay the Guild for transit to other planets, and they take you there and politically, the Guild is (supposedly) politically neutral. They transport even opposing armies, whatever. But it is IMPOSSIBLE to travel to other planets without the Guild.

The Guild has one planet though, a secret planet which they don't publicly reveal the coordinates of (and even if they did, they're the only folks with the capability to travel to other planets anyway, and they REFUSE to transport people there without special permission).

This one "secret planet" which has hidden coordinates is called "Tupile". The idea is that when a Great House is defeated, the noble family at the head of the House has the option to concede defeat and go into exile on Tupile to live out their lives.

But here's the thing: "Tupile" is implied to actually be not just one actual planet, but sort of a "catch all term" for multiple hidden base planets where you can go into exile and the Guild won't reveal it.


So basically, while there is one picture-post board at the moment (whose name we wont' reveal publicly at this time...) "THAT BOARD" will always be essentially our catch-all term for the picture-board or picture-boardS where X-rated Eva fanart and/or illegal downloads of copyrighted Evangelion material can be found.

That way we don't "officially" support that kind of thing (thus, cough cough, if ADV or other folks stumble onto our site they won't get mad at us)....nonetheless the admins and trusted regulars will eventually be tipped off as to the location of this secret pictureboard (or pictureboards...)
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...


Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests