So I decided to listen to the "Commentary of Doom"

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

V
Banned

So I decided to listen to the "Commentary of Doom"

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:01 pm

I've never actually listened to the English dub crew's DVD commentary for Death&Rebirth or End of Evangelion, so I took out the DVDs from my library today to see just how infamously bad it is.

Plus I've never sat down and watched through "Death". Already did that without commentary; waste of time there; a few brushed up animation shots (i.e. Rei being freed from Entry Plug post-Ramiel), the Director's Cut scenes which were later added to the Platinum DVD's anyway, and the String Quartet thing which serves as an allegory to try to explain what the Human Instrumentality Project means. Plus the shot of Adam on Gendo's hand.

Effectively, I think we can safely say people should just watch the Platinum DVD's (might as well watch the original episode 25 and 26 while you're at it" and then finish with "The End of Evangelion".

Anyway, I'm listening to the commentary now....
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:06 pm

Hold on now....this Taliesin Jaffe fellow claims to be the original "Eva Monkey"? What's all this, then?

Well if he was the English script adapter for Hellsing and ROD he's no novice, must be an industry friend that didn't actually work on the show.

Ironic how sometimes they got some voice actors back and some they didn't (i.e. "Black Hyuga") as they DID get Aoba (Jason Lee in commentary here) back but were unable to get him for the Platinum DVDs.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:09 pm

...ok there Taliesin....I'm pretty sure that Gendo, if he's "laughing at everyone else" would represent the Ego....not the moral "SuperEgo".....

Taliesin pronounces "Sachiel" wrong...
Who is "Codename V"?....

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:10 pm

I too wonder about the Eva Monkey thing, though I vaguely recall the issue being adressed before. Don't blame me, I have a really bad memory when it comes to the goings-ons of internet communities.

My 5 centes: I liked the dub pretty much, but whoever did Maya is the anime equivalent of Liv Tyler. I get really uncomfy whenever she's talking. I think Greenfield tied her up to the stove for the movies tho.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

brainDamage
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby brainDamage » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Watch EoE with the commentary and you'll realize that all of the people contributing think they are kind of a big deal, but in reality, are kind of a waste of space and just distract me from the movie.
"You don't know your own mind." -Jonathan Swift, Polite Conversation, 1738

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:23 pm

I actually think the voices they did were above average for an anime, among the best voices....but that doesn't mean they're like writers or something. I mean its nice what they've done for Eva but they act like "this is like the LOTR commentary and I'm Sean Astin!" and they're not. Not that its a problem, but much of it is just spent praising their production crew.

***Are you crazy? The original english Maya voice was kick-ass.
Who is "Codename V"?....

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:44 pm

okay, they spend most of the thing just giggling and offering little info.

Interesting: they couldn't do all of the Eva noises just with people so for the Zeruel fight Eva 01 is supplemented with a warped screaming camel noise, in addition to the regular human snarling and growling.

I still am not sure if they meant the Aoba guy did the Eva and Angel noises for just D&R, or for the whole series.

And WTF, how can the String Quartet POSSIBLY be "officially in the real continuity, happening about a week before End of Eva"?! Asuka is comatose!
Who is "Codename V"?....

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:06 pm

May be off-topic, but: The string quartet might not be in continuity, but I'd love to see it again.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:47 am

also kaworu is dead
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:27 am

I actually think the CoE is good for comedic purposes...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:43 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I actually think the CoE is good for comedic purposes...

Same here.

Also, believe it or not, the string quartet scene is acutally a metaphorical flashback to the first rehearsal session of the Kronos Quartet, which took place in Constantinople in 1632 AD when George Foreman threatened to destroy Europe with his killbot army, unless the quartet could play Pachebel for him.

George Foreman

G E O N

G E O N + D = G E O N D

G E N D O is an anagram of G E O N D

Eva= Organic Killbot

MP Evas = Organic Killbot Squadron.

History is repeating itself.

THINK ABOUT IT.
Last edited by chee on Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:56 am

stop mocking Zugz, he'll bite you :P
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:51 am

I watched the comentary of doom
thats actually how I got intrested enough toask myself
"what REALLY happened in Eva?"

I felt the commentary wasn't accurate and I t'was right

the commentary cast does seem to have a bloated egounderstatement of the millenium
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:58 am

Does the theory of Kaworu being a clone of Ritsuko come up in Manga's commentary? I think I remember there was something like that in it...

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:11 am

Dr. Nick wrote:Does the theory of Kaworu being a clone of Ritsuko come up in Manga's commentary? I think I remember there was something like that in it...

Yes indeed it does
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Sandoz
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Sandoz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:10 pm

My favorite bit from the CoD is when they mistake the angel statue Kaworu sits on for a tree. Trees don't have breasts, guys. Or wings.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:43 pm

yes that was odd

and I was left shouting "you brag you spent 4 months writing the script to make sure you got it right, but you frelled up the "Angels come from Adam not Lilith" line?!?!?!

Does the theory of Kaworu being a clone of Ritsuko come up in Manga's commentary? I think I remember there was something like that in it...

yeah...where did they get that?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:22 pm

V wrote:Ironic how sometimes they got some voice actors back and some they didn't (i.e. "Black Hyuga") as they DID get Aoba (Jason Lee in commentary here) back but were unable to get him for the Platinum DVDs.

If you already know this then pay this no mind, but Hyuga in the series dub was Greenfield. I'm assuming that's why they got somebody else to do it for the Film. In terms of Platinum, I guess they either couldn't get Lee to do it or left Greenfield there for the sake of some voice continuity. *shrugs*

And though I recently brought myself EoE, I have no intention of listening to either stupid commentaries. Briefly listening to the bullshit they spouted during the Final Scene about "No "I" in Japanese" and the Asuka/Rei/Misato "theory" was enough to make me want to hurl the remote at my TV Screen, thank you very much.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:53 pm

Okay...for the record, we aren't considering the "Conglomerate Asuka in the Final Scene of EoE" as a "teach the controversy" thing like Evolution vs Creationism or what have you. "Conglomerate Asuka" is officially WRONG, because her eyes are NOT brown, the cell drawing is just reflection, etc. etc....we've confirmed all of this. And if it weren't for the Commentary of Doom, that idea would never get as widespread as it did. EVEN IF "celebrities" come to this site (ADV people, Weta Workshop people, whatever) we are going to politely but adamantly explain to them that this idea has no merit.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm

V wrote:and I was left shouting "you brag you spent 4 months writing the script to make sure you got it right, but you frelled up the "Angels come from Adam not Lilith" line?!?!?!

That's the most understandable of their errors. There's a confusing pause in the audio that may lead to such an interpretation, and then there's the Red Cross Book incorrectly stating that Lilith gave birth to all the Angels (I wonder if there's a causal relation here between these two screw-ups). So in this case we gotta blame Gainax, not Manga.

(LOL EDIT. Thanks, Ursus.)

yeah...where did they get that?

Because they obviously look the same. :)
Last edited by Dr. Nick on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”