Your Opinion on Hideaki Anno?

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Your Opinion on Hideaki Anno?

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:10 pm

Basically, what do you think about his opinions (on anything hes given his opinion on) and his work (anime, movies, etc).

I admire him for what he was trying to say with Eva. Being an individual, trying to carve out your own living in life. Though, I don't know what to say about his opinions on animation or his opinion on Japan.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:22 pm

After watching the special where Hideaki Anno teaches kids animation, my initial impression is that he seemed like a much geekier version of Kurata Shinya (a character from the new Gamera series)

Anyway whats fun about Anno is that even though he based the wishy washy Shinji off himself he's a man who plays by his own rules, a huge contradiction. There are all sorts of fun stories about how the guy tells off some of his more zealous fans. Like there's this one where this dude spent all the money he needed for text books to buy eva merchandise and Anno said something like

"Your an idiot! You need to study!"
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:27 pm

I like the fact how he's apparently Shinji, but is his own beast too.

Anyway, before I got into the series, I thought he was an egoistical depressed asshole.

....Watching Eva, however, changed that viewpoint of mine.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:17 am

I respect him for working through depression and creating something good out of it, instead of taking the easy way out and suiciding, and what other people said about being his own person.

The fact that he came from the streets to working with Miyazaki, then creating Eva, and now having his own studio is damn impressive too.

jenova7
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby jenova7 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:20 am

he made eva how can you not respect him :P

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:49 am

I have a question. Hes opposed to otakuism, but does that mean that hes opposed to anyone showing their love for anime in a casual way? For example, people who don't go to far in their love of anime. Thanks. The reason I'm asking this is because I sometimes get the feeling that hes totally opposed to people being fans of anime in a non-otaku way.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:12 am

Do not like. Might direct nice animé, but as a person (from what I've read in interviews and his own declarations)... noes.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:23 am

The Goose wrote:I have a question. Hes opposed to otakuism, but does that mean that hes opposed to anyone showing their love for anime in a casual way? For example, people who don't go to far in their love of anime. Thanks. The reason I'm asking this is because I sometimes get the feeling that hes totally opposed to people being fans of anime in a non-otaku way.

My guess is no. Otaku in Japan make the most hardcore anime fan in the states look tame. These are people who are borderline sick (example: live action interviews in Otaku no Video). People who buy DVDs and occasional merchandise help keep the industry alive (along with the otaku who buys EVERYTHING), so I can't see why he'd have a problem with people living normal lives who happen to like anime.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:45 pm

Ornette wrote:My guess is no. Otaku in Japan make the most hardcore anime fan in the states look tame. These are people who are borderline sick (example: live action interviews in Otaku no Video).

The only real interview on Otaku no Video was with the American guy, he was the only real life real otaku. All the other were actors.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:03 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:The only real interview on Otaku no Video was with the American guy, he was the only real life real otaku. All the other were actors.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say those were real people that were sick, but that is an example of what hardcore otaku are like in Japan, and was lead to believe (through other means) that the live action interviews were a good representation of such and that these were the kind of people Anno was referring to when he says "otaku".

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:11 pm

I do admit, they are comepletely are overboard.
I feel old

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Thanks, Ornette. Happy Holidays to you (and everyone here at EvaGeeks). :D

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:41 am

I'm not entirely sure WHAT to make of Anno -- mixed impressions, really. He comes across as likable / admirable in some ways, and rather repellent in others. Definitely got his share of personal quirks. I guess I can relate; sometimes I act like a paradoxical, assholific control-freak, too.

Who is the real Hideaki Anno...?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:02 pm

I respect his disdain and rejection of the otaku culture. He developed a great enough insight to realize that the otaku lifestyle is a sickness and is fettering the Japanese people to a perpetual state of ignorance and social ineptitude. The irony of course lies in the otaku culture being largely responsible for Anno’s success. However, I believe Anno intended his work to be enjoyed as a work of art and not as an all consuming drug. That isn’t to say NGE wasn’t meant to consume you like any good work of art. I doubt he approves of the endless stream of merchandise though. Merchandise is fun but enough is enough.

I suppose I can’t judge the otaku though. We all have reasons for being what we are even if we don‘t understand those reasons.

Anyway, Anno is obviously a genius as far as his art is concerned. I’m not just saying that as a groveling fan. To create something as influential and enormous as NGE you have to be a genius to some degree. He is one of the greatest minds of our time on par with Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov.

Reichu wrote:Who is the real Hideaki Anno...?

He should write an autobiography. Anyone know if that’s in the works?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:08 pm

I adore the guy. He speaks his own damn mind and is a fascinating individual all around.

He's not without his faults (of which there are many) and sadly seems to be fighting a contradictory battle. As far as I can tell Anno fell into the "True Otaku" lifestyle where he was a shut in self-absorbed coward and was able to overcome that and make his mark in the world of entertainment and has a genuine hatred for the lifestlye he once had.
But sadly enough despite Anno's attacks on the Otaku lifestyle he cant hide the fact that with Eva he's created perhaps the most obsessive and introverted of all animes out there. I mean its only 26 episodes and two movies and has drawn as much if not more attention, merhcandising, and what not than those series that last hundreds of episodes.

Either way, Anno is someone I respect. He may be a diffcult individual but to work in the entertainment industry and actually make something of worth you have to be tough and a bit of ass. I mean Paul W.S. Anderson and those hacks who directed AVPR are apparently really nice guys but their movies are the epitome of shit. While a guy like David Fincher is tempermental and highyl opininated.

Either way, after R'Eva I hope to see him go back to making more obscure and weird stuff again. JUst as a director he's up there with my Top 5.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:35 pm

Skullraper wrote:Anyway, Anno is obviously a genius as far as his art is concerned. I’m not just saying that as a groveling fan. To create something as influential and enormous as NGE you have to be a genius to some degree. He is one of the greatest minds of our time on par with Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov.

Anno borrows heavily from Clarke and from Michael Crichton as well, and a lot of Evangelion was inspired by Ideon. While he's certainly one of the best Anime producers out there, I wouldn't call him one of the greatest minds of our time, not by a long shot!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:16 pm

I've read a lot of Crichton's books, and I can't find any references to his works in NGE outside of Andromeda Strain. :?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Shawn Dudley
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shawn Dudley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:29 pm

I find Anno to be a really fascinating guy. Personaly, while he himself has hinted strongly that Shinji is his "on screen" personality, Anno reminds me much more of Gendo (espeically with the beard).

I found that I liked Anno even before I knew who he was: I was die-hard fan of Macross and and after I found out he had done some of the work that I really liked there, I was just really impressed.

Is it true that he had a crush on Norkio Hideki, the seyuu? I've heard the rumor, but does anyone know if that story was true?
"Do not believe in yourself! Believe in Me, who believes in you." -Kamina the Great

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:47 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:Image
Anno borrows heavily from Clarke and from Michael Crichton as well, and a lot of Evangelion was inspired by Ideon.

I'm well aware of that.

While he's certainly one of the best Anime producers out there, I wouldn't call him one of the greatest minds of our time, not by a long shot!

From an artistic stand point, I would. You’re obviously free to disagree with me. I’m not suggesting Anno should win a Nobel Peace Prize! My point is that it takes a great mind to create something as influential as he has.

Anyway, was the laughing face really necessary?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:34 am

That laughing face was meant for your statement, not for you.

NAveryW, that still is one of Crichton's ideas, isn't it?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”