No EVA news at NYC Anime Festival

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FinalImpactCrisis
Embryo

No EVA news at NYC Anime Festival

•      
  •      

Postby FinalImpactCrisis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Hey all,

I just got back from the NY Anime Festival (which was kind of dead overall, I don't know what this says about the current American anime market) and there wasn't much Evangelion presence at all.

In fact, judging by this convention, current anime fans are only into Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote, and video games. Everything else was kind of toy and hentai-based.

Not a whole lot of fun.

In fact, if I were just getting into anime, I would have no idea that Evangelion existed at all. I hate to say this, but it looks like Eva missed a generation between Pokemon and Yu-gi-Oh.

In any case, I did pick up some cool t-shirts, dvds, and free posters.

FIC
www.shadowlawonline.com

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Re: No EVA news at NYC Anime Festival

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:22 pm

FinalImpactCrisis wrote:In fact, judging by this convention, current anime fans are only into Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote, and video games.

In fact, if I were just getting into anime, I would have no idea that Evangelion existed at all.

That was pretty much my impression at Otakon '07, too. Whither the good old days?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:46 pm

BobBQ wrote:Whither the good old days?

They went bye-bye when nth-generation VHS bootlegs were replaced by BitTorrent. I KNOW -- I WAS THERE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Reichu wrote:

They went bye-bye when nth-generation VHS bootlegs were replaced by BitTorrent. I KNOW -- I WAS THERE.

In fact, if I were just getting into anime, I would have no idea that Evangelion existed at all. I hate to say this, but it looks like Eva missed a generation between Pokemon and Yu-gi-Oh.

The fields needed to lay fallow.

"If you build it they will come"

Step 1 - build the greatest Evangelion site in existence and which indeed, has ever existed.

Step 2 - link up with Weta Workshop

Step 3 - thus renew buzz about live action Eva

Step 4 - make sure to be active when Rebuild hits American shores
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:57 pm

I'll believe when I see it, and not a moment before.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:59 pm

If I got $5 every time V started going on about creating the greatest NGE site in the universe......
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:00 pm

Thanks for the report.

FinalImpactCrisis wrote:kind of dead overall, I don't know what this says about the current American anime market)

I considered going a few months ago, but a look at the website convinced me that it was much too commercial a con. The market might not be ballooning like it used to, but the fans are still there.

In fact, judging by this convention, current anime fans are only into Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote, and video games. Everything else was kind of toy and hentai-based.

Well, I don't find it all that surprising that more recent stuff is more popular for cosplay.

Have faith; the anime industry has enough room for everyone.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:49 am

Reichu wrote:If I got $5 every time V started going on about creating the greatest NGE site in the universe......

If he had it his way, it would probably involve metaphorically bombing the current site. =P
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:25 am

FinalImpactCrisis wrote:I hate to say this, but it looks like Eva missed a generation between Pokemon and Yu-gi-Oh.

Im one of the poke'mon Yu-gi-oh! Generation kids
and quite a few of my friends like it to
guess that brings the count up to like 5
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:47 am

Reichu wrote:If I got $5 every time V started going on about creating the greatest NGE site in the universe......

...You could pay me to write about Eva full-time.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:31 am

THIS.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:59 pm

@ V: Don't forget about Step 6! If all else fails, we take the money and run away to Rio! :) (If you don't get the slightly changed reference, you suck.)

Reichu wrote:They went bye-bye when nth-generation VHS bootlegs were replaced by BitTorrent. I KNOW -- I WAS THERE.

I was there too, more or less. 'Cept where I lived, we had to deal with fansubs and not shitty bootlegs. ;)

And Cons being kinda dead in terms of Eva, huh? Does this mean I shouldn't go to Fanime 08? /ponder

But maybe that NYC event will surprise us all and end up showing Rebuild 1.0 after all? ^_^ ...Or did that already pass and I'm just out of the loop?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FinalImpactCrisis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FinalImpactCrisis » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:03 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:@ V: Don't forget about Step 6! If all else fails, we take the money and run away to Rio! :) (If you don't get the slightly changed reference, you suck.)

Reichu wrote:They went bye-bye when nth-generation VHS bootlegs were replaced by BitTorrent. I KNOW -- I WAS THERE.

I was there too, more or less. 'Cept where I lived, we had to deal with fansubs and not shitty bootlegs. ;)

And Cons being kinda dead in terms of Eva, huh? Does this mean I shouldn't go to Fanime 08? /ponder

But maybe that NYC event will surprise us all and end up showing Rebuild 1.0 after all? ^_^ ...Or did that already pass and I'm just out of the loop?

Yea, you're a bit out of the loop.

The con was this past weekend and it was dead overall. The co-director of REBUILD was there on Saturday afternoon but there wasn't much information about it.

Nothing that you couldn't find out by logging onto your average anime news site. Most anime conventions aren't bad, just an overwhelming focus on cosplay and other fan interactions. Its a good thing because anime fandom gets the chance to hang out and make new friends... although I have never really made NEW friends at a convention. I guess you have to be a cute Asian girl in order to make friends at a con. :lol:

The NY Anime Festival was dead for several reasons:

1) No one knew about it.
2) It happened in the middle of the winter at Christmas time.
3) The Javitz Center is hard to get to if you're a broke teenager.
4) Anime fans are very flaky. Most of the people whom I know who claimed to want to go to the con never showed up.

One good thing, I managed to get the boxed sets for the original Macross series.

FIC
www.shadowlawonline.com

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:43 pm

There was a lot of Evangelion presence at Fanime. There were weirdou toys and everything, and Yamaga-san handed out Weva posters to people who came to Friday's GAINAX panel.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Matt_Colly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Matt_Colly » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:52 pm

BobBQ wrote:
FinalImpactCrisis wrote:In fact, judging by this convention, current anime fans are only into Naruto, Bleach, Deathnote, and video games.

In fact, if I were just getting into anime, I would have no idea that Evangelion existed at all.

That was pretty much my impression at Otakon '07, too. Whither the good old days?

Seconded. I've been in anime since "the good old days" (haha) and while i miss it from time to time, it makes me happy to see so many young people getting involved. While most shows of today (pardon my sweeping generalization) lack the sort of "evangelion depth and substance" that spawn web communities such as evageeks, these mass marketed shows are a springboard into the culture for these kids and i am all for it! (Except when i cant find ANY good eva gear at cons because the vendors couldn’t pack their vans with enough hidden leaf headbands...harumph)

As for NYC A.F, i was there and eva was low key. However, despite its lack of publicity i think it is a very exciting time to be an Eva fan...

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Hell yes. When Rebuild gets licensed, there'll be HUGE amounts of fans at cons, and ELAM will just make it bigger. Just wait, when ELAM comes out (whenever that is) we get to say, "We knew about this first. And this sucks compared to THIS." *stuff a Platinum thinpak in their hands*

And Rebuild is going to be awesome. I can feel it. This is Anno's biggest project since, well, EoE, and he's already doing amazing. Webuild may end up being just as good or better than what we already have. And that will get people excited. Really excited.

Matt_Colly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Matt_Colly » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:57 pm

Shiro wrote: Just wait, when ELAM comes out (whenever that is) we get to say, "We knew about this first. And this sucks compared to THIS."

I too have ran through this scenario in my head, haha. But i am skeptical of the ELAM. This isn't the particular topic or appropriate board to be discussing it...but if a few key factors fall into place (i.e a brilliant director, spot on casting, and control over "constructive" hype) this could shape up to be one killer LAM.

I am anxiously awaiting some form of announcement (trivialbeing, like NYC A.F and other cons) has been dryer than...dry.

FinalImpactCrisis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FinalImpactCrisis » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:46 pm

Matt_Colly wrote:
Shiro wrote: Just wait, when ELAM comes out (whenever that is) we get to say, "We knew about this first. And this sucks compared to THIS."

I too have ran through this scenario in my head, haha. But i am skeptical of the ELAM. This isn't the particular topic or appropriate board to be discussing it...but if a few key factors fall into place (i.e a brilliant director, spot on casting, and control over "constructive" hype) this could shape up to be one killer LAM.

I am anxiously awaiting some form of announcement (trivialbeing, like NYC A.F and other cons) has been dryer than...dry.

Maybe that's because there really is no other news to report.

Other than the Rebuild films and minor ELAM news, there may be nothing else to say. Which goes back to my idea that the American market might now be perceived as being "anime soft" right now.

At the NYC AF there was almost no mention of anything regarding EVA at any of the major company tables. Most of the ADV guys seemed to be retail type people with no insight regarding Evangelion whatsoever.

I asked a few guys at the table, and all their responses were:

guy #1: "Whatever we got, its on the table here."

guy #2: "I don't know. Do we carry that?"

guy #3: "I do background voices for some of these titles."

guy #4: "Evangelion? The platinum set is over there."

Meanwhile my question was: "HAVE ANY OF YOUR HEARD ABOUT THE RELEASE DATES FOR THE REBUILD OF EVANGELION MOVIES?"

Man, did that con suck.

FIC
www.shadowlawonline.com

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:14 pm

Shiro wrote:Hell yes. When Rebuild gets licensed, there'll be HUGE amounts of fans at cons, and ELAM will just make it bigger. Just wait, when ELAM comes out (whenever that is) we get to say, "We knew about this first. And this sucks compared to THIS." *stuff a Platinum thinpak in their hands*

And Rebuild is going to be awesome. I can feel it. This is Anno's biggest project since, well, EoE, and he's already doing amazing. Webuild may end up being just as good or better than what we already have. And that will get people excited. Really excited.

Verily.

Plans within plans Shiro, plans within plans. "Acts of man are better than acts of God" etc. etc.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:36 pm

That's pretty much been the case with each con I've been to in the last 5 years. On year it's Cowboy Bebop, the next it's Trigun, and so on with Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and Deathnote.

My favorite years of fandom were back between 2000 and 2004. After that it started to get a bit too big for me.

I remember as well. It makes me fuzzy to think back to those days. Fans these days just don't appreciate the access they have nowadays.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”