Emo.

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

Emo.

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:00 am

Lately I've been getting called emo. To my definition of the word, I am not emo. (To me, no one can BE "emo".) So, I'm asking everyone what they think of as emo.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:07 am

You. Image
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:21 am

:? Thanks...?

Seriously.
Here's mine:

I think that no one can actually be "emo".
I believe that true "emo"-ness is when there is absolutely no hope left in one's life... when only insanity and despair remain and one is totally alone. I don't think that an emo person has any friends and that they are utterly by themselves. No one cares about them, they are outcasts, loners... who can't find happiness in anything.
And, I think that it is rare to find someone like that. I doubt they actually exist. Seriously, most suicidals have people who love them and want to be with them.

But, I do think that people can experience "emo moments" (that's what I call them). Emo moments are those times when people break down... when they just feel hopeless or are in total despair. But, they get out of it. So, it's just a phase or moment or time of "emo"-ness.

Me: I label myself as a me. ;p I dress how I want, I listen to the music I want, I like whatever the hell I want. Seriously, have the music I like most of my friends would hate, I do like some "preppy" styles (few, though, ;p) and some "emo" things I don't like. It's just that I like the darker side of things.

I usually only use "emo" when describing someone's clothing style as being "stereotypically emo" or when joking about it with people I'm not good friends with. That's pretty much it. I don't call people emo. Sometimes I say, "... people would consider him/her emo." So, I don't think that whoever-that-person-is is emo, but other people (mainly immature/unintelligent preps) would.

That is my definition.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:21 am

Well if everyone is calling you emo then you're probably dressing emo cuz first thing people see are what clothes a person wears. If people who know you are calling you emo then maybe it's your attitude. Shrugs.

Sad fact. Doesn't matter if you think no one can be emo, what matters is that people think and say someone so and so is emo.

What I think describes an emo person beyond the clothing and make-up (shudders) choices made by the individual is their attitude. They feel as if they have the worst life ever which is complete bullshit. Now if I didn't know Shinji's past I would've called him an emo faggot; however, his life really is fucked up so he doesn't deserve such a degrading term. Yea, so in short emos are a bunch of whiny sissies who complain how life doesn't seem to go their way when in fact it's really not that bad.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:23 am

Tokpile Quohog wrote:They feel as if they have the worst life ever which is complete bullshit. Now if I didn't know Shinji's past I would've called him an emo faggot; however, his life really is fucked up so he doesn't deserve such a degrading term. Yea, so in short emos are a bunch of whiny sissies who complain how life doesn't seem to go their way when in fact it's really not that bad.

Then again, you kind of just contradicted yourself... What if they have shit for a life? I mean... maybe their parents are abusive, they have no friends, they're poor, people misjudge them and make fun of them for whatever...? You never know what's happened to people.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:28 am

It is what the word's connotation, it is (AFAIK) used as a derogatory word, as if to say "so and so is someone who thinks their life is the worst and they are unjustified in thinking such", regardless of whether that's true or not. I don't know why anyone would call themselves "emo" unless they were being self deprecating.

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:40 am

To tell me that emos people are poor is pure nonsense. They're the ones with the fancy clothes, the hair gels, expensive haircuts, and makeup. You tell me, who's poor, someone who gets clothes from Target like me or that poor emo kid over there with designer jeans, studded belt and designer shirts.

Emos having no friends. Another false statement. Believe or not emo was "in" some time ago and still is to some degree. Majority of the people became emo because it was the cool thing to do and felt that it made them look more sensitive to life so they could get chicks.

Abusive parents. Hardly, these are kids who defy their parents for sake of rebelling while repeating in their head that no one understands them or cares for them. Another would be that the parent has just given up on their kid because he/she's a retard (not in the genetic disorder sense).

If you actually do take time to talk to people who are really disadvantaged (really poor, disabled in some way) look at how they look at life. A large majority of them enjoy life despite their disadvantages and honestly work hard to make their lives and the lives of those close to them better. Huge difference between the them and the emos who get either get everything handed to them on a silver platter or want it to.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Emo.

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:42 am

birdyofthemoongoddess wrote: So, I'm asking everyone what they think of as emo.

Image<----------------THIS GUY
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Tokpile Quohog

Re: Emo.

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:45 am

TriLink12 wrote:Image<----------------THIS GUY

lawls. And the sensei guy at the school seems pretty emo too.

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:47 am

Tokpile Quohog wrote:To tell me that emos people are poor is pure nonsense. They're the ones with the fancy clothes, the hair gels, expensive haircuts, and makeup. You tell me, who's poor, someone who gets clothes from Target like me or that poor emo kid over there with designer jeans, studded belt and designer shirts.

Emos having no friends. Another false statement. Believe or not emo was "in" some time ago and still is to some degree. Majority of the people became emo because it was the cool thing to do and felt that it made them look more sensitive to life so they could get chicks.

Abusive parents. Hardly, these are kids who defy their parents for sake of rebelling while repeating in their head that no one understands them or cares for them. Another would be that the parent has just given up on their kid because he/she's a retard (not in the genetic disorder sense).

If you actually do take time to talk to people who are really disadvantaged (really poor, disabled in some way) look at how they look at life. A large majority of them enjoy life despite their disadvantages and honestly work hard to make their lives and the lives of those close to them better. Huge difference between the them and the emos who get either get everything handed to them on a silver platter or want it to.

-.- I didn't say all "emos" were poor and had abusive parents... I said MAYBE!
First of all, most darklings (as I call them/us) do have enough money for the clothes and the make-up (which is kick ass). I said what if... Therefore that means, "There could be a person like this. This DOES NOT apply to EVERYONE who is considered "emo"." ... :roll:
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:51 am

whenever i walk down the street, people call me "Emo", like totally out of nowhere.
i dont even dress emo, the time it happened most i was wearing very baggy, faded camo-cargo pants, and a band t-shirt (System of a Down i think).
the only thing really emo about me is that im super skinny, and i have a emo haircut.
im glad i go to a small school and almost everybody knows me and know im not emo.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:58 am

birdyofthemoongoddess wrote:-.- I didn't say all "emos" were poor and had abusive parents... I said MAYBE!
First of all, most darklings (as I call them/us) do have enough money for the clothes and the make-up (which is kick ass). I said what if... Therefore that means, "There could be a person like this. This DOES NOT apply to EVERYONE who is considered "emo"." ... :roll:

A majority of emos are not people fallen into hard times and depressed about the uselessness of life. If you look, generally hardships make a person stronger its not like "oh my dad's dead so I'm gonna spend money on emo clothes and brood in hopes that someone will find that cool and be my friend." People who do fall into hardships and do not learn to pick themselves up do not deserve a second glance, this may seem harsh but no sensible person is going to help a person who is unwilling to help themselves. Anyways all in all a large majority of emos DO NOT HAVE HARD LIVES, THEY HAVE NO EXCUSES BEING THE WHINY IDIOTS THEY ARE, but some people find it cool so what can I say?

At Sach, I think people find System of a Down to be emo, but I'm not sure.

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:04 am

I don't even consider people emo...

System is fucking amazing.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:10 am

Tokpile Quohog wrote:At Sach, I think people find System of a Down to be emo, but I'm not sure.

......you didnt! :shock:

anywayz, most Emos are probably just wannabes who like that look or want to be on the "in" crowd while listening to Fallout Boy and Panic! at the Disco and crap like that. so i've separated the Hardcore Emos and the Preppy wannabe Emos (though theres like 9 emos total at my school. lol the wonders of having like 450 students for a 6-12th grade school) but i have been able to pick them out when hanging around the larger highschools.
just like the Hardcore Punks and the preppy punks! :D
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:15 am

I don't even consider people emo...

Well what exactly would you consider to be the true definition of the word? Tell me what you think the word "emo" truly means and then we can find out if this type of person is one who truly exists.

I think the majority of the people who call themselves emo are like Tok said either posers or people who make too much out of the problems they have.

My ex girlfreind is someone who a lot of people would consider to be emo. Though I don't know if she ever called herself by that term, when we were seeing each other that term hadn't really become widely used yet.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:19 am

Defectron wrote:Tell me what you think the word "emo" truly means and then we can find out if this type of person is one who truly exists..

Emotional
person or persons that are highly emotional about how fucked theyre lives are.
pretty much Goth but with feelings
- Sachi

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:20 am

Emo means many things. It can be considered a derogatory term, in the sense that someone is too "emo," or lacks the guts, to do something, etc. It can also be used to describe a a certain clothing style and/or hair style.

In any case, the word emo comes from the word "emotional," implying those of us who are extremely emotional all the time. While I seem to know a lot about this, I'm not into this scene myself. But to me, emo seems to imply a lifestyle that acts as a safe haven for those who are unsure of themselves, are overly emotional about everything, or for those who go overly suicidal...literally.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:33 am

I think most of the time someone calls someone else emo, its because of that person's sense of style or taste in music. I know emo isn't defined by those things, but these are what people pick out.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

bap_120790
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby bap_120790 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:26 am

just another word that a person might call himself, to make himself look unique.

don't worry, people like to be unique all the time. but the truth is, no one is. =/

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:45 am

I always thought emo was just a style. It came from the term "emotional" which, I think, originated with music that kinda melodramatic, but somehow it became a style all its own. I probably wouldn't be in a place to say if you were or not though... From reading posts on here you seem a bit too... bubbly to be emo. I guess the other defining factor has been mentioned, and that's a presupposed attitude that life sucks regardless of external evidence. I think when emo is used as a derogatory term it's generally towards kids who have no reason to despise their life but do anyway.

The notion of Shinji being emo is ridiculous btw and I immediately lose respect for anyone that thinks so.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”