The Nietzsche Aspects of Eva

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

The Nietzsche Aspects of Eva

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:01 pm

Now for the heavy subjects!
Now I shall being by saying this from Nietzche: "When his (the author's) book opens its mouth, the author shuts his"
Any correllations? Hehe. (don't forget Wagner, but later on)
Also, we have to look at Schopenhauer where Nietzsche outlines the man’s greatest happiness (and some Dionysian aspects) is where they have never existed, or to have their life end shortly- this pessimistic salvation put into the Human Instrumentality Project. By Shinji destroying this, it comes up with the possibility of Eternal Recurrence- possibility of the new beginning, plus/or Shinji accepting the new similar pains he has to endure in the same manner before Third Impact (as in Thus spoke Zarathustra on the Eternal recurrence). More example I could say, but for now I shall sum up this very brief introduction: NGE is the new attempt at making a new culture (like in Nietzsche’s idea of culture), a Political Statement against the modern world, and the “Introduction to Metaphorical Nietzsche and the 19th century philosophy and its application to the modern world”
I feel old

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm over eight thousand percent sure that there's been a thread like this before.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:10 pm

Was there? Well this is just the break off from Wagner, and I want to make this extremely in depth.
I feel old

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:37 pm

slothen wrote:I'm over eight thousand percent sure that there's been a thread like this before.

I'm over 9000
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:39 pm

Oh please. This is just a break off from the On Wagner thread which hasn't been answered for a long while.
I feel old

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:03 pm

you might get more bang out of your buck here: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2662&highlight=nietzche

(btw, the Search function is your friend)

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:18 pm

Not deep enough, and from waht I read, some points I made doesn't surface (and no mention of Wagner- very important)
I feel old

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:22 pm

I have got to finish reading Nietzche contra Wagner....
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Good idea. It helps.
I feel old

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:12 am

All right, another thing: from Thus Spoke Zarathustra, it mentions by the daemon that basically 'imagine the world like it goes on repeating itself'. Dead Sea Scrolls with its 'prediction' (most likely a record of what happened before) proves this point, and the new 'beginning' of the cycle, (here is some Wagner) with the Will To Power(/Supermen) for Asuka and Shinji to come out of the LCL.
I feel old

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:08 pm

Hmmmm....

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:21 pm

What do you mean by hmmmmm?
I feel old

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Yummmmmmmm
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:45 pm

The Imperialist wrote:All right, another thing: from Thus Spoke Zarathustra, it mentions by the daemon that basically 'imagine the world like it goes on repeating itself'. Dead Sea Scrolls with its 'prediction' (most likely a record of what happened before) proves this point, and the new 'beginning' of the cycle, (here is some Wagner) with the Will To Power(/Supermen) for Asuka and Shinji to come out of the LCL.

God, I tried to read Thus Spake Zarathustra ages ago and got nowhere. I had no idea what he was getting at unless the language was really plain about it.

I'm not seeing where the idea of Shinji and Asuka coming out of the LCL sea has to do with their will to power, didn't they both pop up on that beach out of their own despair rather than willing themselves to live and conquer the new world? Remember in 25/26 folks say of Shinji that he just wanted "death, sorrow, and to return to nothingness" and the only way he could do that was by ejecting himself from complementation (I guess the same applies to Asuka too).
Last edited by Zuggy on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:49 pm

Um no. Just no.
Shinji:
Maybe it's okay for me to be here!
That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less!
I'm me.
I want to be me!
I want to be here!
And it's okay for me to be here!
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:43 am

Zugzwang wrote:I'm not seeing where the idea of Shinji and Asuka coming out of the LCL sea has to do with their will to power, didn't they both pop up on that beach out of their own despair rather than willing themselves to live and conquer the new world? Remember in 25/26 folks say of Shinji that he just wanted "death, sorrow, and to return to nothingness" and the only way he could do that was by ejecting himself from complementation (I guess the same applies to Asuka too).

... how does that even make sense? Pain exists in the world, by returning to it he would experience it yet again, but if he gave into Instrumentality, he would forever be a part of an unending 'paradise' (note, DO NOT take that literally) where he would never be alone, and in fact, would not even exist:

Shinji: This is the world of nothing, space with nothing,
the world of nothing.
The world with nothing but me.
I am understanding myself less.
I feel as if I'm going to disappear.
My existence is fading away.

Why?

Misato: Because there's nobody but you.

Shinji: Nobody but me?

Misato: Because you have no existence outside of yourself,
You can't figure out your own shape.

Shinji: My shape?

My image.

Misato: Yes. You are getting to know your own shape through
seeing others' shapes.

Asuka: Seeing others' walls, you imagine yourself.

Rei: You cannot see yourself unless there are others.

I have to say, this is a rather large oversight on your part. 8)
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:18 am

Alaska Slim wrote:but if he gave into Instrumentality, he would forever be a part of an unending paradise

What we were shown of the Complemented state was anything but paradise; more like Sartre's take "Hell is other people".

What we see after the Complementation shatters in the TV ending (which looks very different to anything we are shown in EoE) might at least be some more improvable post-human state.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:59 am

Mr. Tines wrote:What we were shown of the Complemented state was anything but paradise; more like Sartre's take "Hell is other people".

We wern't shown the final product. If we had been there would have been no return since everyone would be gone yielding an entirely new entity. We are in no position to make judgements on it due to this fact, though I certainly wouldn't call the intended outcome "paradise" at all.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:24 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Um no. Just no.
Shinji:
Maybe it's okay for me to be here!
That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less!
I'm me.
I want to be me!
I want to be here!
And it's okay for me to be here!

Sorry to tell you this hun, but the ending with Shinji all "yippee, my life is worth living" and Shinji on that beach there, strangling Asuka while crying aren't the same ending and can't be compared to each other!

Alaska Slim wrote:Pain exists in the world, by returning to it he would experience it yet again,

That's what Shinji wants. Remember - he's a boy who wants to do himself in but ain't got the balls to do it.

From the LTP script -

[code:1]Misato: That's the result you wanted.

Shinji: I wanted?

Rei: Yes. Destruction, the world where nobody was saved.

Shinji: NO. It's that nobody saved me.

Ritsuko: Nobody can save you.

Ryouji: This is what you wanted.

Asuka: Destruction, death, the return to nothingness. All of these did you wish for.

[...]

Asuka: The mind that wishes to die, which you yourself want.

Shinji: This darkness, this incomplete world... Are you saying, I wished for all of these?

Asuka: Yes.[/code:1]

(I assume) you can't die in a complemented state, so the only way for Shinji to get what he always wanted was to eject himself from the process.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:26 am

Mr. Tines wrote:What we were shown of the Complemented state was anything but paradise; more like Sartre's take "Hell is other people".

What we see after the Complementation shatters in the TV ending (which looks very different to anything we are shown in EoE) might at least be some more improvable post-human state.

@ First part: Yes.

@Second Part: Interesting, but I ultimately disagree. I felt it was a metaphor for Instrumentality ending. The stage "shatters", we are left with a barren globe. Note how Shinji is there first, and THEN the others arrive....

a hint?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”