Rebuild: Canon???

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
sedemihcrA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby sedemihcrA » Fri May 02, 2008 2:00 pm

Given that the teaser specifically stated

NEW CHARACTERS

NEW MECHA

NEW DESIGN

or something along those lines, isn't it a given that it's not going to be canonical with the original series? You can't have new Eva units fit into the original universe because it would make for large logical fallacies in the original plot ("there was a unit 06 on the moon but we just didn't use it because...")

Now this is all assuming that this is not some post-3I reincarnated world as goes in THAT THREAD. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm drawn to the self-sequential theory (eg. its universe is repeating itself because of Third Impact - not actually a sequel to the series but to itself.)

As to the nebulous title - is Rebuild canon? Certainly, just as the manga is canon as well. Not th original canon per se, more likely its own just as the manga is its own canon (Kaworu discrepancies etc. etc.)
In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Fri May 02, 2008 2:25 pm

sedemihcrA wrote:Given that the teaser specifically stated

NEW CHARACTERS

NEW MECHA

NEW DESIGN

or something along those lines, isn't it a given that it's not going to be canonical with the original series? You can't have new Eva units fit into the original universe because it would make for large logical fallacies in the original plot ("there was a unit 06 on the moon but we just didn't use it because...")

Now this is all assuming that this is not some post-3I reincarnated world as goes in THAT THREAD. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm drawn to the self-sequential theory (eg. its universe is repeating itself because of Third Impact - not actually a sequel to the series but to itself.)

As to the nebulous title - is Rebuild canon? Certainly, just as the manga is canon as well. Not th original canon per se, more likely its own just as the manga is its own canon (Kaworu discrepancies etc. etc.)

I agree entirely, sans that I think the canon aspect in question is probably what is done with characters or what is cleared up. Say, for example, Rebuild explicitly states x killed Kaji, then the question is would that be accepted into the "true" canon, i.e., one that is with the series. Is it just something coming to light that may have been in the original, but never explained. Something like that. Character analysis, all that. The fact that there's now twelve angels also proves your point further.

I believe it's widely accepted as a retelling, and not a carbon copy of the TV series, so of course something would change.

But I agree entirely on the point of the whole moon base and extra Evangelions. The moon base alone makes the impossible aspect of retrieving the lance laughable to begin with.
My memory and thought patterns are quite dodgy, and can best be described as "the lights are on but nobody is home."

That should explain a few things, if not many.

sedemihcrA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby sedemihcrA » Fri May 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Apathetic Piggy wrote:I agree entirely, sans that I think the canon aspect in question is probably what is done with characters or what is cleared up. Say, for example, Rebuild explicitly states x killed Kaji, then the question is would that be accepted into the "true" canon, i.e., one that is with the series. Is it just something coming to light that may have been in the original, but never explained.

This is actually a really good point that I didn't consider. In other words, any continuing mysteries from the original that are resolved in Rebuild will probably taken into the accepted canon of the TV series, right?

I would think that would depend on personal preference but I generally agree with you. If we learn of Kaji's killer or find out some new nuance of the dummy plug, assuming its not in direct conflict with the original it will probably be assimilated.

But I would take it as a given, for example, that Kaworu coming from the moon is not part of the original canon. It's NOT simply that in the original series and we just never see his descent (Lance issues aside.) Even though Kaworu emerging from the moon wouldn't directly conflict with the original series' events, I don't imagine most people will assume that it was his place of origin just because of the end scenes in Rebuild. Do you get what I'm saying?
In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Fri May 02, 2008 2:52 pm

sedemihcrA wrote:
Apathetic Piggy wrote:I agree entirely, sans that I think the canon aspect in question is probably what is done with characters or what is cleared up. Say, for example, Rebuild explicitly states x killed Kaji, then the question is would that be accepted into the "true" canon, i.e., one that is with the series. Is it just something coming to light that may have been in the original, but never explained.

This is actually a really good point that I didn't consider. In other words, any continuing mysteries from the original that are resolved in Rebuild will probably taken into the accepted canon of the TV series, right?

I would think that would depend on personal preference but I generally agree with you. If we learn of Kaji's killer or find out some new nuance of the dummy plug, assuming its not in direct conflict with the original it will probably be assimilated.

But I would take it as a given, for example, that Kaworu coming from the moon is not part of the original canon. It's NOT simply that in the original series and we just never see his descent (Lance issues aside.) Even though Kaworu emerging from the moon wouldn't directly conflict with the original series' events, I don't imagine most people will assume that it was his place of origin just because of the end scenes in Rebuild. Do you get what I'm saying?

Entirely, and I'm not going to really decide where I stand until later in the game. Far too early to call it. And I'm all for multiple canons, as you said above with the manga. The original series, for whatever reason, will likely remain the "one true" canon and while the others may present other ideas and possible add to the TV series' canon, anything that conflicts with it is dropped. And on the Kaworu thing, yeah, they never tell us much about his past, but since there was no moon base to begin with I imagine it'll just stay in the Rebuild-specific canon. Not saying for certain, however, but I already went over that.
My memory and thought patterns are quite dodgy, and can best be described as "the lights are on but nobody is home."

That should explain a few things, if not many.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”