Is RahXephon a copy of Evangelion?

Over time, notable threads from ANF will be preserved here for the Benefit of All.

Moderators: Ornette, Monk Ed

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 618
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

Baka Deshi wrote:It was quite obvious to me when I watched RahXephon that it was cut from the same cloth of which Eva was made.

Arguably, though, RahXephon is cut from at least two different types of cloth. It just so happens that you know more about the one type of cloth which it has in common with Eva. If you knew more about Yuusha Raideen, you'd certainly recognise that it too shares a cloth in common with RahXehpon. However, that doesn't change your point. I'm only saying that you recognise the influences with which you are familiar. There could be others that I don't catch, as well.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 04:45 PM

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 242
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

How did this thread get so long in so short a time. Arrrgh!!!

O.K. RahXephon contains deliberate Eva references. These references are put there so fans will enjoy spotting them, not to make people scream "RIPOFF!". Beyond these references, The situation, the characters, and their motivations are nothing alike, except in the very broadest sense of occasional "mech" battles and the pilot who holds the fate of the world in his hands.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 04:52 PM

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 60
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Leader Desslock [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

thewayneiac wrote:...and the pilot who holds the fate of the world in his hands.

...among other things...

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 04:54 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 618
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

Leader Desslock wrote:...among other things...

*rimshot*

Well done.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 05:02 PM

EvaXephon [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 8
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby EvaXephon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

Talon wrote:The storylines are nowhere near the same or have the same meaning (which you said yourself). So.. I honestly don't see the point of this. Not one bit... something must be wrong with me.

I didn't say that the storylines are nowhere near the same. They are identical, actually, and I pointed this out many times in the comparison gallery. Only the meaning is different.

And the point was that I always wanted to make a gallery of similarities of these two series. That's all.

Dr. Nick wrote:There are many surface-level NGE references in RahXephon, that's for sure.

And many of those surface-level, cosmetic similarities lay on top of the plot being the same, scenes occuring in the same order in the same episode, dialouge being the same at the same points in the series, and characters resembling each other for a reason.

CrossboneGundam wrote:Ohhh, wait, I sure can remember that part where it turned out Shinji and Misato were actually lovers in the past, and the part where Shinji declared his love for her and actually made a move on her, wow! Gosh, you're right!

Pointing out differences doesn't erase similarities.

FullMetal Haruko wrote:Saying that Raphexon copied Evangelion becasue of the way the characters fell from an Explosion? I...God I dont know what to say. My Flaming skills only go so far.

No - because those scenes happened in the same order in the same episode with the same camera angle and everything happening generally the same way.

Rydis wrote:Here is proof your going out of your way to say their similar. Both shows originated in Japan. Now in page to, you put the first word 1 (and not a main character at that) says damn. Then you say the first word Misato says is damn (however this applies to english only you say).

Right there you just similarized two different dialects to make them similar. Since both shows originated in Japan, you can't say that 1 show is similar to the other when the words are changed between languages.

Failed.

I also explicitly stated that I was only pointing it out for fun.

YOU have failed.

Van wrote:Oh btw EvaXephon you wouldn't happen to be a poster called Kyrakasa from animeboards?

Never heard of the site or the person.

I'm very interested in how everyone is calling my stupid. Because, of couse, someone's intelligence is based on ONE of their opinions.

Leader Desslock wrote:Nah, Shinji_Ikari had more resolve. EvaXephon left around post #10 when his ideas were deemed laughable, and he hasn't been back. Image

I went to bed. As you can see, I'm back, and defusing everyone's posts.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 05:39 PM

Samurai Drifter [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 21
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Samurai Drifter [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

It doesn't change the fact that your similarities are merely on the surface and prove nothing. If a show is only scene angles and similar shots, it is one hell of a weak series.

But even then, 165 shots is nothing. Each of those series had approximately 13 hours of footage, and you take 165 shots that you think are similar (I think they're ridiculous) and have the nerve to call RahXephon a clone. There are some similarities in plot, to be sure (large monsters continually attacking), but each of those shows revolve around the deeper psychological elements which are totally different.

Tidusauron12 wrote:You didn't have to be an *** about it.

I know, but I like going that extra mile in doing my job better.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:07 PM

Van [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

You think Rahs a clone because it has a professor in it, you are of limited intelligence just absed off that. If you want to be taken seriously stop grapsing for straws, quality > quantity when it comes to stuff like this.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:08 PM

ZeroRyoko1974 [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ZeroRyoko1974 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

I heard somewhere that EVA and Rah both get their info from some older sci fi novel or something.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:10 PM

RyoTD [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 149
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby RyoTD [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

See, this is the reason I don't really like calling myself an Evangelion fan, even though it's still one of my absolute favorite anime. That RahXephon is a ripoff of Evangelion is an idea I abandoned ages ago, and it's something that I'm not too proud to admit that I've actually thought.

I'll just declare Dr. Nick a winrar of this thread and leave the rest to those more gifted in the art of debate.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:26 PM

EvaXephon [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 8
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby EvaXephon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Van wrote:You think Rahs a clone because it has a professor in it, you are of limited intelligence just absed off that. If you want to be taken seriously stop grapsing for straws, quality > quantity when it comes to stuff like this.

If I said that Rah was a clone because of ONE similarity, I'd be a fool.

Instead, I used 165 COMBINED similarities.

Of course it's not a clone when you look at each similarity individually.

But when you group them all together and realize that both anime have ALL of those similarities, THEN it's a clone.

And by the way, most of them are NOT surface similarities OR giant robot anime cliches.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:31 PM

Brill [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Brill [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

RyoTD wrote:See, this is the reason I don't really like calling myself an Evangelion fan, even though it's still one of my absolute favorite anime. That RahXephon is a ripoff of Evangelion is an idea I abandoned ages ago, and it's something that I'm not too proud to admit that I've actually thought.

I'll just declare Dr. Nick a winrar of this thread and leave the rest to those more gifted in the art of debate.

Well it's not a cheap rip-off (the animation is more fluid) it just follows most of the parameters that evangelion used which made it a legend. But Evangelion was first so it's viewed as a rip-off. RahXephon is no more a rip-off than Dual!, Blue Gender, Gilgamesh, Technolyze, or Gasaraki are.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:38 PM

Samurai Drifter [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 21
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Samurai Drifter [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

EvaXephon wrote:And by the way, most of them are NOT surface similarities OR giant robot anime cliches.

Yes, yes they are. You posted the link to your theories, and a board full of anime fans has determined that they are indeed surface similarities and giant robot anime cliches.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:41 PM

FullMetal Haruko [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 16
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FullMetal Haruko [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Jesus you know what's sad? While trying to read all of the replies, the page ACTUALLY INCREASED. How.....wtf is that? This is sad. Pathetic, at best. Maybe its a misguided attempt to sound smart, or an Eva fan's fall from Grace. I really dont know.

"Notice that both organisations are in all capitol letters" Now it appears your desperatly looking for something that isn't there. You're trying to point out meager similarities in Two different shows, for God knows what reason in the first place. LET ALONE Make a site about it.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:42 PM

RyoTD [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 149
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby RyoTD [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

EvaXephon wrote:And by the way, most of them are NOT surface similarities OR giant robot anime cliches.

o rly?

"Energy Beam Slices A Fighter Plane"
"Animation of Removing Sunglasses"
"The Enemy Is Unharmed By Attacks"
"According to plan."
"Character In Hallway"
"Captains"
"Captain Calls Characters Children / Kids"
"Two Old Men Play Shogi"
"A Character Is A Professor"
"Shock At Messy Room"
"Two Blushing Kids"
"False Friendship"
"The Nature Of The Enemy Is Never Explained"

Etc, etc...

Yeah. Evangelion introduced it all to the anime scene, and RahXephon just copied everything. Those bastards.


Edit: All this thread has done for me (except the laughs) was to make me want to check out RahXephon even more. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:42 PM

Van [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Van [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Image from Naruto

Image

It's an Eva ripoff.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 06:46 PM

Colossus [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 15
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Colossus [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

The same question was put up in the RahXephon thread,located here.There is no doubt that some elements from RahXephon came from Eva..

Like a hesitant pilot,giant beings and the AT Field.But after seeing the entire RahXephon series,it`s its own story.But Eva was the first to show such a genre,and there is no doubt older fans like myself will always compare Eva to any other with the same theme that comes afterword. Image

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 07:07 PM

Loopy [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Loopy [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Colossus wrote:But Eva was the first to show such a genre,and there is no doubt older fans like myself will always compare Eva to any other with the same theme that comes afterword. Image

Read the thread przu kthxbai.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 07:12 PM

germanturkey [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby germanturkey [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

i haven't started rahxephon yet, but initially, when i saw it in the store/internet, i thought it was a copy. but then after hearing what people had to say, i concluded that it isn't much of a copy...

but i dont' get why you guys are giving him such a hard time... we all have our own opinions, even if they're wrong

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 08:39 PM

Loopy [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Loopy [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:49 pm

germanturkey wrote:i haven't started rahxephon yet, but initially, when i saw it in the store/internet, i thought it was a copy. but then after hearing what people had to say, i concluded that it isn't much of a copy...

but i dont' get why you guys are giving him such a hard time... we all have our own opinions, even if they're wrong

His arguments are referring to the most miniscule of things. He offers no proper rebuttals either, especially when challenged that Eva is already a bundle of cliches and is unoriginal in itself.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 08:46 PM

Gannon [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gannon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

EvaXephon, if nothing else, please remove the "Enemy/Monster is unharmed by conventional weaponry" out of your arguement.

Remember a little 50 year-old movie named Godzilla? Yeah, exactly. It's BEEN DONE. It's an EXTREMELY common theme in Sci-Fi/Entertainment PERIOD. It's cliche' for Christ's sake.

So to say that RahXephon someone copied THAT from EVA of all things, quite frankly, makes you look like your reaching. REALLY REACHING. And if I may add, doesn't get anyone any closer to taking your argument at face value.

So on behalf of all the people at AN: Level with us-- Throw us a bone-- Meet us half way-- ect, and please remove that comparison from your gallery. Thank you and have a blessed day Image.

Originally posted on: 07.21.2006, 08:59 PM


Return to “AnimeNation Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests