Five Questions for Anno

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

MDWigs [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

What is fact, what is theory and what is truely unknown?

Say you had a chance to meet and talk with Anno about Evangelion, but could only ask five questions. What would you ask?

I know it's unlike me to create a thread like this (or any thread for that matter), but I finished my last exam yesterday, I graduate in two weeks, and I've been thinking about Eva more lately.

Originally posted on: 23-Nov-2003, 15:19 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

What did Ritsuko really say? (Boring I know -o-Image
Soul of EVA-00? (I know we think we know, but just in case....)
Most interesting aspect of Eva?
How much of the plot was thought out in advance?
Star Wars or Star Trek?

Originally posted on: 23-Nov-2003, 15:34 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

- Why are you letting these American bastards molest your brainchild this way with their live-action project? Don't you care anymore :bawling:?!?!?!?

- Should we follow the sandal or the bottle?

...Can't think anything else worth asking...

Originally posted on: 23-Nov-2003, 16:31 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Well, presuming nearly everything he's thought and done about EVA was still in his mind, I'd ask him these:

1. Has there been as much backlash against Shinji in Japan as there has been in the U.S.?

2. If so, do you have any opinion of that?

3. Can you describe to me, as well as you can, "who" or "what" you think some of the EVA human characters are, in terms of personality, motivations, etc. Your choices.

4. Would you hold it against me if I said I liked most of the English voices for your characters?

5. Question 3 counts for at least two. *scampers off* Image

Originally posted on: 23-Nov-2003, 16:32 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Very nice thread idea Wigs!

Hmm... it's a tough choice though.
Why does Rei appear places in a fleeting glimpse sometimes? (Something I could probably figure out myself, but I might aswell ask)Just between you and me, who REALLY shot Kaji? None of that nameless person crap. (Haha I don't think I'd learn anything new)Please explain to me Rei's creation and what percisely she isCan I have your autograph?After all is said and done, which girl does Shinji end up with? (And I promise you Anno that if you say Kaworu the police will never find your body)

Originally posted on: 23-Nov-2003, 17:09 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:Very nice thread idea Wigs!

Hmm... it's a tough choice though.
Why does Rei appear places in a fleeting glimpse sometimes? (Something I could probably figure out myself, but I might aswell ask)Just between you and me, who REALLY shot Kaji? None of that nameless person crap. (Haha I don't think I'd learn anything new)Please explain to me Rei's creation and what percisely she isCan I have your autograph?After all is said and done, which girl does Shinji end up with? (And I promise you Anno that if you say Kaworu the police will never find your body)

I know these questions are for Anno-sama, but I think the answers to some of them aren't particularly mysterious:

Why does Rei appear places in a fleeting glimpse sometimes? (Something I could probably figure out myself, but I might aswell ask)

She's is (for lack of a better word) a diety, whose actions are are unconstrained by ordinary 'mortal' considerations of time and space.

Just between you and me, who REALLY shot Kaji? None of that nameless person crap. (Haha I don't think I'd learn anything new)

It was just some nameless minion, probably sent by SEELE... (If you insisted on a name, Anno would have to make one up on the spot)

Please explain to me Rei's creation and what percisely she is

She is a clone of Yui invested with the soul of Lilith. The how of her creation is a bit vague, but it happened during the attempt to retrieve Yui after her 'accident'.

After all is said and done, which girl does Shinji end up with? (And I promise you Anno that if you say Kaworu the police will never find your body)

Umm.. Asuka. (I didn't think there was any ambiguity on that point)

Originally posted on: 23-Nov-2003, 18:50 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

1. Can you please explain exactly how EVA-01 was created from Lilith?

2. Are the Evas biologically female?

3. How were the angels originally created?

4. Why does EVA-02 have indigo-colored blood?

5. How are souls transferred from one body to another?

Five isn't nearly enough. :dodgy:

Originally posted on: 23-Nov-2003, 19:41 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Umm.. Asuka. (I didn't think there was any ambiguity on that point)

I have to agree that those two are "meant for each other" in that sense, but let's not forget what Misato promised to Shinji... Image @,@

Originally posted on: 23-Nov-2003, 19:42 GMT

Painkiller [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Painkiller [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

When were were the Angels created and are they all in embryos until right before we see them?

Can I get a job at Gainax?

Autograph?

Can I have your shirt?

Hmmm, last question... Can I have dinner at your house tonight?

Originally posted on: 23-Nov-2003, 21:59 GMT

Li Syaoran [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Li Syaoran [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

What's the main concept of Eva anyway?

Have you tried studying psychology before engaging on a such project?

Do you think every character in Eva resembles each human psyche?

The Second Impact happened 13 September, 2001 AD as the timeline of Eva says. The Angels awakened from deep sleep, then which means from the very beginning Angels were along with Man?

Do you think Eva can start a religion?

Shinji iz god? ImageImage

Originally posted on: 24-Nov-2003, 01:32 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 pm

1. Kaworu: Angel in human form, or human clone with the soul of Adam?

2. Did the angels come into existence during Second Impact, or did they already exist?

3. Do the Angels have unique, individual souls?

4. Whose souls are in the Mass-Production EVAs? Are they just imprints of Kaworu's soul (a la Rei/Unit 00)?

5. And finally, the one issue that I've expended more brain strain on than anything else connected with EVA: What is up with Asuka in EoE?! Does the fact that we don't see Rei come for her (like she does for Misato and Ritsuko) indicate that she didn't actually physically die? And how, exactly, does she end up on the beach in 'I need you', in her plugsuit and bandages? Enquiring minds want to know!

Thank you for your time...

Originally posted on: 24-Nov-2003, 13:50 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Does the fact that we don't see Rei come for her (like she does for Misato and Ritsuko) indicate that she didn't actually physically die?

What? Are you doubting this? Image I'm no medical expert, but if your arm gets sliced half like that, you'll die pretty fast if there ain't a skilled surgical team nearby. And I'm not even mentioning the other injuries.

It was not too long ago when you yourself made a very good argument: How could Asuka caress Shinji's face in the final scene if her arm was splitted and then just bandaged? No freakin' way. Asuka died, went splat and returned - without real injuries but with "mental image" bandages representing the wounds of her old body.

Originally posted on: 24-Nov-2003, 14:58 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Dr. Nick wrote:What? Are you doubting this? Image I'm no medical expert, but if your arm gets sliced half like that, you'll die pretty fast if there ain't a skilled surgical team nearby. And I'm not even mentioning the other injuries.

It was not too long ago when you yourself made a very good argument: How could Asuka caress Shinji's face in the final scene if her arm was splitted and then just bandaged? No freakin' way. Asuka died, went splat and returned - without real injuries but with "mental image" bandages representing the wounds of her old body.

I strongly believe that the scenario of having Asuka die (with Rei coming for her, just as she did for Misato and Ritsuko) explains what we see happening in ep26' far better than any other idea that I've seen proposed concerning her fate, but, that begs the question: If Rei did come for Asuka, then what is Anno's point in not showing it? In other words, are we not seeing Rei come for Asuka because a: it didn't happen, or b: it did happen, and Anno expects us to fill in the blanks?
BTW, don't get the wrong idea; I utterly reject the odious notion, (which, believe me, a lot of people take seriously) that Asuka somehow evaded Third Impact, and that's why we see her around, in more or less one piece, in "I need you'.

Originally posted on: 24-Nov-2003, 15:18 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Congrats on graduation!!!. Do they use out there where you live to throw eggs and stuff at you after your last exam?

My five questions:
1) What is the function of Rei clones on the dummy plug system
2) Is it absolutely necessary to have a soul in order to generate ATF? Did that infamous 'kokoro' mean soul exactly?
3) The angels were actually looking for Adam? Why did they arrive early?
4) What was the function of Rei with the dead people like Ritsuko or Misato? Any special meaning
5) (again) Explain Rei creation

And after that I'd tell him he failed. He failed cuz as I understand, he tried to make us understand the emptyness of an otaku life, but with Eva, everyone got submerged deeper into it.

Originally posted on: 24-Nov-2003, 15:32 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:If Rei did come for Asuka, then what is Anno's point in not showing it? In other words, are we not seeing Rei come for Asuka because a: it didn't happen, or b: it did happen, and Anno expects us to fill in the blanks?

Simple explanation-attempt: There's not enough room in the entry plug for Rei to make a cool appearance there Image.

A more elaborate one: When ghost-Rei start popping people, living people to be exact, she appears to them as a materialization of their dreams or fears*. Well, Asuka too had one thing in her mind that I'm not exactly sure is it more a dream or a fear. She wanted to be alone, survive without anyone. Maybe she got what she wanted that way: Nobody visited her, just aaargh & splat.

* I just loved Fuyutsuki's popping scene with "Yui" appearing to him. But hot damn, somebody should write an alternate fan-fiction with a little more groovier instrumentality-start:

He doesn't notice the small puffs of smoke at first, but when the disco lights start their rhytmic pulsating and Barry White's deep, sexy voice fills the air of the command center, it finally strikes to Fuyutsuki that there is somebody in the room that shouldn't be there. When he starts turning around he notices that his formal clothes have changed into a Saturday Night -outfit of his wild youth - and then he sees the person he has patiently waited for over twelve long years. Yui stands there, smiling, and wearing, well, you can quess what...

Fuyutsuki: "Oh yeah..."

AchtungAffen wrote:And after that I'd tell him he failed. He failed cuz as I understand, he tried to make us understand the emptyness of an otaku life, but with Eva, everyone got submerged deeper into it.

...And that would make him depressed again and he'd have to start making new anime series to work that depression away somehow and...
Do they use out there where you live to throw eggs and stuff at you after your last exam?

Christ! Who the hell wastes good food like that?!? If you have food surplus, there are countries out there that could willingly help you to get rid of it in a proper manner. *points to location*

Originally posted on: 24-Nov-2003, 17:40 GMT

Orin_Quon [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Orin_Quon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Nothing.

The tv series ended long ago. We're not supposed to be discussing about it.

Eva manga, Eva games, Eva stuff being released right now are probably fine, but issues from a tv series that ended ages ago, and has the very clear message of "moving on", "growing up" (hell, the 2nd unit director even said it out loud)?

Originally posted on: 24-Nov-2003, 22:52 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 pm

1. How does Nerv transfer souls.

2. Exactly what is Kawour?

3. Who's soul is in Unit 00?

4. Was lillith's soul copied or transfered into Rei?

5. What was your insperation for creating Evangelion.

Originally posted on: 25-Nov-2003, 00:06 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Orin_Quon wrote:Nothing.

The tv series ended long ago. We're not supposed to be discussing about it.

Eva manga, Eva games, Eva stuff being released right now are probably fine, but issues from a tv series that ended ages ago, and has the very clear message of "moving on", "growing up" (hell, the 2nd unit director even said it out loud)?

There are so many unanswered Questions about the series, just look at some of the larger threads here. You can never look to deep into Evangelion. Plus people are still talking about Gundam and that 4X as old as Evangelion.

Originally posted on: 25-Nov-2003, 00:07 GMT

Quiddity [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:40 pm

No content questions since we've discussed these topics to death since 1996.

1. Can you explain to us all, once and for all how End of Eva came about so the morons who say you made it for revenge and nothing more can be shut up?

2. What did you like so much about Space Runaway Ideon and why did you decide to base Instrumentality on what occured in that show?

3. How do you feel about the absurd selling out of the Evangelion product, from the constant re-releasing of the series itself to Eva hentai, that ridiculous live action movie, etc...? That so many including Gainax themselves have commercialized it so much that some think its losing its critical value?

4. Do you now look back upon what you did in episode 18 and wish you hadn't done it considering it not only screwed you over later on, but other shows as well?

5. What is your opinion of the constant labelling of Eva ripoffs when you yourself have made it clear that earlier Tomino shows had such an impact on it?

Originally posted on: 25-Nov-2003, 00:30 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Quiddity wrote:1. Can you explain to us all, once and for all how End of Eva came about so the morons who say you made it for revenge and nothing more can be shut up?

Hear! Hear!
Yet another idiocy immortalized on the DVD Audio Commentary that will never go away...

Originally posted on: 25-Nov-2003, 02:02 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”