Dr Akagi's suicide

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 pm

The thing I've not been able to figure out - is the splatter and outline we see the result of a fatal fall, or a head shot followed by post-mortem descent. The fall doesn't really look far enough to be fatal (as opposed to disabling).

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 18:45 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Off the top of the command tower, rebounding off one of the MAGI, and finally hitting the floor? You sure that's not "far enough"?

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 18:48 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 pm

I thought she shot herself on the edge of the tower and fell down from the bullet. Sort of like Ritsuko, excpet Gendo did it.(I wish he would've said "baasan" for real, the we could link the scenes. And Rei III with her "Rei I grin would've been cool)
At least it looks that way in the manga, where they actually show her body. But no baasan scene. Since he's changing things about Rei anyway, are we to assume it didn't happen in the manga?

Sadamoto: "Nooooo, Rei can do no wrong! EVER!!! She won't be the one who makes Naoko goes nuts. We'll save that for Ritsuko, where Rei is innocently stating a fact, and Ritsuko tries to kill her. Genius! Who cares about Naoko anyway? I'll even make Fyuusuki not give two craps about her in his manner of speech, when he explains what happened to Seele. YES! {"Dr. Akagi did not join us."} Perfect!" *proceeds to play with his bandaged Rei doll*

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 19:17 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 pm

But in the manga, after Ritsuko throttles Rei Image, she makes a comment about "being the same as her".

For whatever it's worth, forensically...

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 19:28 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Well, why wasn't it shown then, you think?
^Interesting...that map

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 19:34 GMT

Hideki 13 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hideki 13 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Now looking at the map it looks like a fall from the command center would kill somebody expecially if they hit the magi on the way down. Oh yeah maybe this has no signifigance at all but what Magi system did Naoko fall on??? What i mean does she fall on the Scientist, Mother, or Woman one???

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 19:51 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 pm

The fall from the control center to balthasar is over 14 meters from the looks of things. That's certainly liable to be fatal in most circumstances. The volume of blood is a bit of a puzzle though, considering that there is quite a lot of it on top of balthasar, indicating that the good doctor struck the edge of the balthasar tower then seemed to end up with her head about 75cm from the tower wall, body sprawled away from the tower.

I'm find it hard to see exactly how this would all fit into a fall. Are there any avid forensics fans amoung us who could posit an adequete explanation, based on only one shot? Could we deduce, a la Holmes, whether she was pushed or not?

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 19:59 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

That's why I thought she shot herself, spraying the blood.

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2005, 08:03 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Magami No ER wrote:That's why I thought she shot herself, sparying the blood.

I concur.

What we really need here is CSI : Tokyo-3

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2005, 08:13 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:I concur.

What we really need here is CSI : Tokyo-3

Image Marg Helgenberger...hmmm...

I'm sure they can solve Kaji's mystery as well.

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2005, 08:35 GMT

Goldarmy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Goldarmy [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Reichu wrote:Yeah, sure. Naoko committing suicide because a little kid called her a baasan is just SUCH an impeccable plan. I mean, 100% guarantee of working!!!

If Gendo wanted to off her, he could have without using a method that lacked any logic whatsoever. I mean, who on Earth believes ve can get someone to commit suicide by sending a kid to call her names? What's even worse is that fans actually believe Gendo would come up with such a scheme or that the creators actually expect the viewers to buy something that silly.

I think Rei I's first introduction to Naoko and their later meeting weren't random encounters, they were part of planned events to drive Akagi insane and make her seem a liability for Instrumentality.

True I guess he wasn't expecting such a quick solution to his problem, her killing Rei was something he probably didn't foresee, perhaps at that moment he was preparing his report about Dr. Akagi's unstable and suspicious behaviour to SEELE. But as a bonus good doctor get herself out of equation at the price of one little clone (and isn't core philosophy of cloning is replacement).

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 21:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:22 pm

^ Reichu isn't buying.

Gendo: MWA HAH HAH! Soon, the MAGI will be activated! At last, my days of being screwed by that old hag will be at an end! YES! Rei: My secret weapon! They will be introduced under relaxed circumstances, but Rei's resemblance to Yui will start an itch the baasan won't be able to scratch! Slowly, it will drive her mad! And then, at the Promised Time, I will send my blue-haired toady to the baasan to deliver the coup de grace! Certainly, what old hag WOULDN'T up and kill herself after being told what a useless old hag she really is? MWAH HAH HAH HAH!! Gendo, you evil bastard genius, you!!!

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 21:56 GMT

Goldarmy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Goldarmy [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Reichu wrote:Gendo: MWA HAH HAH! Soon, the MAGI will be activated! At last, my days of being screwed by that old hag will be at an end! YES! Rei: My secret weapon! They will be introduced under relaxed circumstances, but Rei's resemblance to Yui will start an itch the baasan won't be able to scratch! Slowly, it will drive her mad! And then, at the Promised Time, I will send my blue-haired toady to the baasan to deliver the coup de grace! Certainly, what old hag WOULDN'T up and kill herself after being told what a useless old hag she really is? MWAH HAH HAH HAH!! Gendo, you evil bastard genius, you!!!

This Gendo is out of character, also the image of a Gendo whining infront anyone, let alone a four year old girl.

Okay what do you think Naoko's place was in Gendo's great plan?

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 22:12 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

^ You seem to have difficulty understanding the concept of humor.

Naoko's place? Just another toady. Unless Gendo was just sick to death of being screwed by her, there was no fathomable reason to off her (especially with such a comically unbelievable plan).

Oh, let me guess -- Gendo knew ahead of time that Naoko killing herself (or whatever conspiracy theorists want to believe) would result in Gehirn becoming Nerv, and this was just another part of his impeccably pre-planned scenario? Image

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 22:22 GMT

ShyanHaiJin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShyanHaiJin [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Maybe Gendou killed Naoko then before he kills Ritsuko he says

"Akagi Ritsuko kun, Actually, I killed your mother for the same reason."
"Usotsuki..."
BANG!!!

That would've been so cruel Image

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 22:29 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Goldarmy wrote:Okay what do you think Naoko's place was in Gendo's great plan?

A tool for every task, and a task for every tool. Naoko's genius was essential in creating the MAGI, which were indispensible to Gendou's plan. Once they were created however, Naoko's usefulness as an architect was over, and what was needed now was simply a systems administrator to keep the system ticking over. Though a genius, Naoko was possible a little too overqualified for the role Gendou had in mind for her, and on top of the the cost of her upkeep was probably already grating his nerves. Her death as it turned out was convienient, but with the arrival of Ritsuko, one can't help but wonder how much longer Naoko's tenure was going to last anyway?

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 22:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

How was Naoko too "overqualified"?

And I agree that her death was "convenient". But that's as far as I think it goes.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 23:29 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Reichu wrote:How was Naoko too "overqualified"?

I doubt she would have been contented to twiddle her thumbs for the next seven years keeping MAGI ticking over. The only time her skills would ever have really been needed, was during episodes #13 and #25' and possibly episode #20. Other than that Ritsuko's skills were perfectly adequate for the task, and it would seem even Maya could keep the system ticking over at a pinch.

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2005, 01:37 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Seven years? Naoko died in 2010.

Judging by the notes coating the inside of Melchior, Naoko had plenty of plans in mind for the MAGI. Plus they do need constant maintenance. It would have been a somewhat more realistic division of labor -- as opposed to Ritsuko, by some ludicrous miracle or another, being able to carry the weight of so many tasks later on.

Let's also not forget that Naoko has a brain the size of a planet. It is probably safe to say that she had more ideas rolling around in her grey matter than just the MAGI and would have created additional breakthrough technologies after the MAGI's completion. Gawd knows Gehirn/Nerv's technology department needs all the top brand brains it can get.

Gendo might have bitched and moaned about Naoko, but, really, would it have been in his best interests to get rid of her? My gut reaction is that Rei just overheard Gendo grumbling (possibly to a coworker), actually did get lost, and started repeating the words with sadistic glee upon refusing Naoko's help. It all ended up being a convenient accident -- save for the loss of a Rei and the mess.

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2005, 03:42 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:23 pm

^Could be. Image

Originally posted on: 27-Jul-2005, 03:49 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”