Imitatation is the sincerest form of rip-off

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

Dr. Nick wrote:>

Care to elaborate?

Two characters make a suicide pact to "prove" their love, and one actually goes so far as to slice her wrist...

Originally posted on: 04.19.2005, 05:50 AM

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

Shin-seiki wrote:Two characters make a suicide pact to "prove" their love, and one actually goes so far as to slice her wrist...

Wonder if those countries would have banned the centuries-old Noh plays which have used the exact same scenario?

Originally posted on: 04.19.2005, 10:23 AM

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Wonder if those countries would have banned the centuries-old Noh plays which have used the exact same scenario?

The countries in question were France and Italy; it didn't help, I suppose, that the two characters were about 12 years old Image at the time.

Originally posted on: 04.19.2005, 11:57 AM

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

IIRC Romeo and Juliet were only supposed to be around 14 or so...wonder if anyplace has banned that one?

Originally posted on: 04.19.2005, 01:50 PM

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

Part of the problem might have been that it was a reasonably explicit scene that actually showed blood. My own opinion is that it was the best episode of the series.

Originally posted on: 04.19.2005, 02:15 PM

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:IIRC Romeo and Juliet were only supposed to be around 14 or so...wonder if anyplace has banned that one?

Juliet was thirteen, and Romeo was older. Image But that is not greatly emphapized, so I don't believe it was banned. "The Twelth Night", also by Shakespeare, was banned once, for "encouraging homosexuality". Image

Originally posted on: 04.19.2005, 03:44 PM

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am

Magami No ER wrote:Juliet was thirteen, and Romeo was older. Image But that is not greatly emphapized, so I don't believe it was banned. "The Twelth Night", also by Shakespeare, was banned once, for "encouraging homosexuality". Image

Yeah, Romeo was (IIRC) 15 at the time. I don't think R&J got banned anywhere, to my knowledge.

Originally posted on: 04.19.2005, 05:36 PM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 am

Since this thread is about homages and stuff, I might as well post these findings here.

First, as mentioned in another thread:

Dr. Nick wrote:Incidentally, Sepirothic System has made brief "cameo appearances" in two newer anime shows, Macross Zero and R.O.D the TV. In both cases the possibility of a homage isn't really far-fetched: After all, the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross from the year 1979, with its ideas about mysterious alien force as the progenitor of humanity, has definately influenced Anno and other loonies of Gainax, so it's quite safe to assume the makers of Zero now in turn put in an Eva-reference.

Here's the relevant screenshot from Zero ep. #03, and the accompanying lines of dialogue:

"Yes! Sensei has come to this island before! -- He came up with the human proto-culture intervention hypothesis on this island."
"Proto-culture?"
"A hypothesis stating that there was an alien intervention in the evolution of mankind."

Now, some random crap from various sources:

Airbats (1996): What better way to emphasize your main character's geekiness than this? I wonder if this is Studio Fantasia's revenge on Gainax for certain memorable incident in NGE episode #09... Image

Zone of the Enders (2001): The very premise of ZOE - Dolores i borrows quite a lot from NGE: the lead mech of the show (Dolores) houses a female consciousness, though in this case it's just an advanced AI, not anyone's actual soul. Of course, whereas Eva-01 was the epitome of menacing coolness, Dolores is merely a plain annoying bimbo. But if the situation requires it, she can go nutzoid too - and she can utilize her mallet space as a weapon storage / defensive system!

Other sightings from ZOE include a baddie ?ber-mech with stretchy arms (BTW, check out the cockpit placement!) and one quite familiar-looking necklace.

Great Teacher Onizuka (1999): These two rather bizarre sightings were brought to my attention quite recently. I apologize the bad quality of the screenshots, they're from an ancient crappily fansubbed version. Also, I have no idea if these in-jokes appear in the manga version or not.

episode #19: Now what exactly are they implying here?
episode #37: Yoshikawa definately has some kind of problems...

That's all for now. Screenies from R.O.D, Gunbuster and ye olde Macross will follow in the near future, after I'll get my dvd-drive region-h4x0red.

Originally posted on: 05.01.2005, 05:20 AM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 am

I see a new appendix in the near future. Image

Originally posted on: 05.01.2005, 06:08 AM

Lastie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lastie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 am

The hallmark of how good a particular programme is, is how many others pay homage in their own works (Star Wars is probably the king in this regard).

Trouble is, if you go looking for a homage will you find one? Or just a similarity?

Originally posted on: 05.01.2005, 07:05 AM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 am

Ok people, it seems my memory has yet again failed me - the symbol appearing in R.O.D is not the Sepirothic System, although it looks somewhat similar. Now if this was the only possible NGE-reference in the show I could overlook it as a random similarity, but considering the ending quote which is most definately a conscious homage (mentioned here) and the thematic similarities, I still believe there is a connection.

Whether or not to include this to the coming references commentary appendix, I'll leave such editorial choices for Reichu. And now, as a random bonus, some glowing glasses (ph3ar psychotic paper master!) and the amazing, common-sense-defying quantum Pikachu.

By the way, does anyone here own Ayashi no Ceres dvds? I want a screenie of that Mikage dude to see if he really stole Gendo's trademark pose.

Originally posted on: 05.06.2005, 11:04 AM

fieldy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fieldy [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 am

that symbol is the tree of lifeit has deep religous meaning its possible it was taken from eva but i doubt it

Originally posted on: 05.06.2005, 11:11 AM

RyoTD [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RyoTD [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 am

fieldy wrote:that symbol is the tree of life

R.O.D Symbol != Tree of Life
Edit: Or did I miss something important?

Originally posted on: 05.07.2005, 05:11 PM

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 am

^It does look like it...was that from the RoD OAV or TV series?

Originally posted on: 05.07.2005, 05:23 PM

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 am

^Despite the fact it's missing at least three entire sephira? Image Image

Originally posted on: 05.07.2005, 05:36 PM

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 am

Whatever. Image
It's probably based off the ToL, merely for symbolism.

Originally posted on: 05.07.2005, 05:42 PM

Z Metalla [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Z Metalla [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:49 am

The ROD thing also looks sorta like the Silver Crest from Skies of Arcadia, but that's just me. Image

Originally posted on: 05.07.2005, 05:50 PM

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:49 am

I'm no Kaballah expert (despite what I vowed to myself last summer), but if that is a conscious take on the Sephirotic Tree, then it seems to encompass all that is not part of this mundane world; Divine and lesser conscious thought and awareness without any connection to concrete reality. I haven't seen R.O.D., so I don't know if that would be relevant.

The ROD thing also looks sorta like the Silver Crest from Skies of Arcadia, but that's just me.

Don't you mean the Zelos Altar? Wasn't the Silver Crest what Fina had tattooed on her head? (Looked like "OJ".)

Originally posted on: 05.07.2005, 07:33 PM

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:49 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:I'm no Kaballah expert (despite what I vowed to myself last summer), but if that is a conscious take on the Sephirotic Tree, then it seems to encompass all that is not part of this mundane world; Divine and lesser conscious thought and awareness without any connection to concrete reality. I haven't seen R.O.D., so I don't know if that would be relevant.

If that's true, it in fact starts to make sense... *runs off to do some research*

Magami No ER wrote:^It does look like it...was that from the RoD OAV or TV series?

TV series.

Originally posted on: 05.08.2005, 01:03 AM

Z Metalla [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Z Metalla [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:49 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:Don't you mean the Zelos Altar? Wasn't the Silver Crest what Fina had tattooed on her head? (Looked like "OJ".)

That's what I meant, yeah. Image

Originally posted on: 05.08.2005, 07:39 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”