NGE2 Classified Information

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am

Shao wrote:Where did you get the info from?

Um, you did read the first post in this thread, didn't you?
Specifically, the transcriptions of the NGE2 files that Reichu is working from are here...
http://homepage3.nifty.com/mana/eva2kimitsu.html

...and here:
http://www.evageeks.org/omake/nge2_kimitsu.txt

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 10:45 AM

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am

*Reads*
Nice thread. Image

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 11:22 AM

Shao [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shao [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am

Shin-seiki wrote:Um, you did read the first post in this thread, didn't you?
Specifically, the transcriptions of the NGE2 files that Reichu is working from are here...
http://homepage3.nifty.com/mana/eva2kimitsu.html

...and here:
http://www.evageeks.org/omake/nge2_kimitsu.txt

Yes I did read, but there was no direct links so I can see it myself.

P.S. Thanks of the links.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 01:07 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am

rockthing wrote:I just talked to my partner, Hiromi, and she supports the translation that reichu has posted.

The entire thing, or just the line about Yui being born into Seele?

'Yui is the daughter of an influential member of Seele.'

You know, that sounds a lot nicer than what I used. I think I'll steal it. Image

When I originally looked at that text I thought that it was meant in a more figurative sense, but didn't double check with Hiromi, who has been really busy. Kudos to reichu for not self-censoring based on personal disbelief. Image

I do my best. Image

It definitely pays to have several people looking at the same text.

Always! (Or however many you can get, anyway.) I've also been nagging (so to speak) the folks at a Japanese language forum about some bits that have troubled me -- or sparked the curiosities, anyway -- so that offers another viewpoint. Bluh, compiling notes for these is going to be annoying...

@Shin-seiki: The document hosted at FGC is a complete set of the Classified Information files that I rescued from Google's cache, whereas the other link is incomplete. (Guess the person who transcribed it hadn't unlocked everything.) Just thought I'd mention it.

I'll be adding the G-Man and making some revisions later.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 02:59 PM

Cesternino53 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cesternino53 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am

How are we really supposed to take this information? It's, as previously said, second-tier canon, but it seems a bit... off. I don't know if I can buy the whole "Yui is a Seele commiteeman's daughter" thing.

Also, it doesn't seem to be telling us that much we don't know. We haven't gotten to the most controversial parts yet though so...

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 05:13 PM

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am

Cesternino53 wrote:How are we really supposed to take this information? It's, as previously said, second-tier canon, but it seems a bit... off. I don't know if I can buy the whole "Yui is a Seele commiteeman's daughter" thing.

I have no trouble buying it. Yui's conversation with Fuyutsuki at the levee in #21' indicates that she knows what SEELE is up to, so this is just a way of explaining why she would be 'in the know'. Also, this gives a plausible reason for why an ambitious nobody like Gendo would set his sights on her, namely to marry into the organization...

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 05:20 PM

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am

Reichu speaks Japanese?

Reichu, come translate for my fansub group.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 05:26 PM

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am

I hereby wish to state my approval of this topic. I hereby also wish to state my anxious waiting for the translations of Sections 7-A~D, 11-A~D, 12-A~D, 14-A~D, 22-A~D, and 23-A~D.

Those are, shall we say, some of my favorite topics.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 05:28 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am

PronsAmuro wrote:Reichu speaks Japanese?

Reichu, come translate for my fansub group.

I can fake a Japanese accent to the point where most English-speakers will have no idea what I'm saying (e.g., if I'm saying something Japanese in origin they might know), but, you throw me into Japan, and I'm dead as sushi. Without looking anything up, I could probably make really short sentences in Broken Japanese and piss everyone off because I haven't memorized all of the polite stuff. Uhhhh... "Doumo arigatou gozaimasu!" "Hai, douzo!" "Pi-ka-chuuuuuu!" "Was kann ich fur dich tun?" "Aa, machigai nai. Shito da."

And my listening comprehension sucks like a <insert>, too.

When you just sit around and try to translate NGE stuff out of brute determination because no one else does (generally), any Japanese skills become somewhat... "specialized". Image

Shin-seiki wrote:Yui's conversation with Fuyutsuki at the levee in #21' indicates that she knows what SEELE is up to, so this is just a way of explaining why she would be 'in the know'.

She also sort of blatantly states that she's "with Seele".

Also, this gives a plausible reason for why an ambitious nobody like Gendo would set his sights on her, namely to marry into the organization...

Well, that's the "professional" reason. His initial motives for going after her may have been shady -- i.e., he was intent on using her -- and it got on the grapevine fast.
FUYUTSUKI (MONO):
But within our circle, the common opinion was that he had approached Yui
for her talent and for the organization backing her.I do sort of wonder: Was Gendo planning on it being merely a seduction, and, lo and behold, what a pleasant surprise! It turned into... well, about as pure a love as you can get. (Maybe because Yui was good at neutralizing ATFs back then, too? Image ) Even so, it seems he was able to keep this aspect of the relationship nice and private:
Keel "'Scientists'... They put too much faith in their own ideas."
Ikari "Is it self-righteousness?"
Keel "So caught up in their dogma, they lose their grip on reality."
Ikari "Yet they are the ones who are searching for the truth. How ironic."
Keel "They are not so noble. Discovery is joy, and understanding leads to control. All they seek is their own exaltation."Gendo's already married himself into Seele by this point and ingratiated himself with Keel, and the old codger feels at complete liberty to diss scientists around him. And Gendo simply sits there and nods his head. Is this just because Keel doesn't know...?

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 06:12 PM

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 am

I would think that Keel's orginization would be able to perform superb background checks. He knew a great deal about the Ikaris by that time.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 06:30 PM

Ornette [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 am

Shin-seiki wrote:I have no trouble buying it. Yui's conversation with Fuyutsuki at the levee in #21' indicates that she knows what SEELE is up to, so this is just a way of explaining why she would be 'in the know'. Also, this gives a plausible reason for why an ambitious nobody like Gendo would set his sights on her, namely to marry into the organization...

And maybe partly why he chose her family name instead of keeping his.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 06:38 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 am

Ornette wrote:And maybe partly why he chose her family name instead of keeping his.

Yes; it's not unheard of for a Japanese man to adopt his wife's surname if she is of higher social status than him.

I suspect that the "other reason" (private, vs. professional) is due to a troubled family history. Of course they never get into Gendo's past, but you know from his personal issues -- expecting that he'll be disliked, believing that he doesn't deserve love, the "cold bastard facade as defense mechanism", etc. -- that something is up.

"Ikari" also sounds cooler than "Rokubungi". Image

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 06:45 PM

DatDude [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 am

Cesternino53 wrote:How are we really supposed to take this information? It's, as previously said, second-tier canon, but it seems a bit... off. I don't know if I can buy the whole "Yui is a Seele commiteeman's daughter" thing.

Also, it doesn't seem to be telling us that much we don't know. We haven't gotten to the most controversial parts yet though so...

This information is presented in the form of a forgetable videogame put out long after the show had rapped. I dont put verymush stock in it, because I beleive what is on the screen in the final cut is all that matters.

We have no way of knowing if annos involvment with this was the same as the way he directed " RE: Cutie honey " Anyone that knows the mans directing style can tell others did nearly all of that show.

I know in american animation its common to use a series bible. These things hold information the various wirters and animaters use to keep things streight.
The information ive seen from the game reminds of of these.

My fear is that this things may have changed between the writing of this guides, and the actual show. An office memo changing character X or removing a given subplot happins all the time, and does not normaly show up.

The genral attitude of certain people treating this game like its the second comming of eva is disturbing. Anno commishing a set of cards at some point that had info on them that was pretty off the wall. I dont see how bonus informaton in a PS2 can be some how better then that.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 07:07 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

The focus of this thread relates to my goal of completing a refined translation of the "Classified Information". Receiving feedback on this work from others along the way is something I find very helpful. In order to keep things on topic and relatively pleasant, I would prefer if discussion on the merit of this information -- insofar as its status as second-tier canon material -- be excluded from this particular thread. If this is something that others would like to pursue, the "New Topic" button beckons...

Also, "certain people", as you used it, carries pejorative connotations. It might be better to specify who you're referring to.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 08:12 PM

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 am

Maybe we shouldn't be so swift to assume that Gendo married into Seele in order to enhance his own prestige. Perhaps he did so because he was already planning on stopping them, and was pleasantly supprised to find that Yui agreed with him. Or perhaps he inspired her to betray them instead of vice-versa.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 08:54 PM

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

thewayneiac wrote:Maybe we shouldn't be so swift to assume that Gendo married into Seele in order to enhance his own prestige. Perhaps he did so because he was already planning on stopping them, and was pleasantly supprised to find that Yui agreed with him.

That was my line of thought, as well. Gendo's actions and behavior don't seem to have so much to do with an interest in "prestige" as "desperate times call for desperate measures", "when in Seele, do as Seele does", and... well, what better way to foil the bad guys than from the inside? And the higher up you are, the more whoop-a$$ you can deliver when the time is ripe. (You just have to do a lot of dirty work and toad-eating to get there.)

Gendo's motives are rather mysterious, but we must remember that Yui is a saint with ATF-piercing powers. ("He's really a very sweet person...") Skepticism of the audience -- and Kozo, at first -- aside, Gendo seems to be a pretty well-intentioned guy, underneath it all.

Gendo: Well, while this isn't what you guys had in mind, I guess we're going to take EVA-01 and...
Seele: We know what you're going to say, you traitor. <Insert> Forget it. We're gonna do things our way.
Gendo: Your way sucks. Death gives birth to nothing.
Keel: We'll give you kids plenty of death to suck on.
:whoosh:
Kozo: I have a bad feeling about this... Thank heavens for Yui.

Or perhaps he inspired her to betray them instead of vice-versa.

No way to know... But Yui was already doing bioengineering research backed by Seele when Gendo popped out of the shadows. Doesn't it seem a bit ... off that Yui would have gone into that as a loyal Seele, only to make an abrupt 180? That the two were kindred spirits from the beginning seems considerably more likely.

Gendo's (first) section is nearly ready; I'm just scoping out a couple of things first.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 09:32 PM

Cesternino53 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cesternino53 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 am

Are we to assume then, that Yui's father in Seele either:

a. Was dead by the time the show took place.
b. Didn't care too much about his daughter.
c. Wasn't one of the "Big Twelve" Seele members (how many more people are in Seele besides these 12 anyways?)

Because none of the twelve monoliths ever mentioned anything to Gendo, Kozo, Ritsuko, Kawrou, or anyone else about his daughter being "killed" (if that's the term I should use). I would think that the man would harbor some resentment, probably towards Ikari Sr. It isn't difficult to blame other people.

There is always the possibility that Yui's father is completely devoted to Seele's goals, and views Yui's "death" as a nescesary sacrifice.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 09:47 PM

Insidious Roden [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Insidious Roden [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:16 am

Your work is exceptional Reichu. I eagerly await the arrival of future translations. As much as you might not intend this as a "comming of the second Eva", I'm afraid that judging by this thread's heavy traffic many readers of these forums are taking it to be. I am just using these translations as a guide to clarify some of the more ambigious aspects of the the original series. It's proving thought provoking if nothing more.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 09:51 PM

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:16 am

Reichu wrote:That the two were kindred spirits from the beginning seems considerably more likely.

Yeah, I would tend to agree with that.

Originally posted on: 03.07.2006, 10:18 PM

Talon [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Talon [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:16 am

i LOVE this!!! Second tier canon is fine with me. I've been waiting for a translation ever since I heard about the game's "revealing" information. I can't wait for more...

Originally posted on: 03.08.2006, 06:47 PM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”