Common Misconceptions

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:36 pm

Reichu wrote:Wow. Neon Exodus Evangelion actually sounds like it has (had?) a lot of comedic potential. ...Then, most fanfics with pretentions of seriousness do.

Indeed it does - some intentional (and enough to make me chuckle), some alas not.

For the morbidly curious, the original is at http://www.eyrie.net/NXE/ and the first third is MiSTed remorselessly at http://svamcentral.org/svam/ms-inf.html

Originally posted on: 19-Dec-2004, 15:40 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:36 pm

Reichu wrote:- Adam and Lilith Were Once A Single Being

This is the fault of manga and I don't think really should be put agenists any n00bs who think it was fact. I for one believed manga's lies before people on this fourm set me stright. Though I never thought before EOE that they were a single being, and looking at it from all angles now it makes absolutely no sence, DAMN YOU MANGA!

Reichu wrote:- Shinji Accepts Instrumentality in EoTV

This is another misconception that is really forgiven. After sitting though 45 minutes of mind rape you begin to lose it. And the misunderstanding of Instrumentality in the first place leads to this. Put it seems as if, in the TV series, that the goal of insermentality was to alloy Shinji to break free of Instrumentality , and I believe that is where the misconception comes from. They don't realize that Shinji is in instermentality before he chooses to return to the real world.

Shinji comes to his desision to return to the physical world after everyones minds are one and he is tetering between the two because of the Evangelion. The problem with Shinji being the subject is that we really don;t know how everyone else was effected. (I feel a debate starting. )

Shinji was inside the Entry plug at the time and because of that I believe he has a better chance, a more effective view of insermentality. Where everyone elses soul was pushed together and pure bliss was attened, he was experancing it though the Evangelion and his soul was not in direct contact with the rest the souls.

On top of the Evangelion that makes Shinji different from the rest is the cross, and his connection to Rei. The second is most likely less important, because Rei could of faced everyone, but it was the cross that really made a difference.

Shinji:
Ayanami... where are we?

Rei:
This is the sea of LCL... The primordial soup of life.
A world without AT Fields... without your own shape.
An ambiguous world where it is impossible to tell where you end and other people start.
A fragile world where you exist everywhere, and thus exist nowhere.

Shinji:
Have I died?

Rei:
No, everything has just been joined into one.
This is the world you have been hoping for... your world.

Shinji (releasing Misato's cross from his left hand):
But... this isn't right. I don't think this is right.

Rei:
If you wish once more for the existence of others, the barriers of the heart will separate everyone once more... And the fear of other people will begin again.

Shinji:
That's all right...
(disengages Rei from him and clasps her hand)
Thank you.

Shinji is different because of his emotional state, his connection to Rei and Kaworu, and the Evangelion. His instermentality was more like a long intervention, and we really don't know what everyone elses experence was like.

In other words I'm defending people how are ignorent of what Instermentaliy was because of Shinji's own experence with it.

Originally posted on: 19-Dec-2004, 17:00 GMT

Ironfoot [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:37 pm

Hmmm, off of the top of my head:

-Toji not only loses his leg, but his arm as well
-EVA's are only robots
-The angels are after Lilith

Can't think of anything else...too hungry....

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 06:03 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:37 pm

-AWL actually know what shes talking about

^sadly I once thought so...

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 09:43 GMT

longinus [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby longinus [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:38 pm

So I was just thinking what would happen if we put Anno (creator/inspiration of Eva) and Sigmund Freud in the same room.

I think Freud's head would explode in just trying to analyse the messed up mind of Anno. I know my head hurt when i tried to figure out what the hell happened at the end of eva.

Actually, that makes me think whether even Anno really knows what the whole thing means or whether the show (or perhaps more the ending) doesnt really mean anything and is an accidental product of partial insanity? Image

Any philosophers out there?

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 12:15 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:38 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Okay, you've go me. What the **** are you talking about, now?

"Passion of the Christ", NGE, and centuries of Christian art depict crucifiction inaccurately. The nails were driven into the wrist (and against the median nerve to achieve mucho pain) so that it was secured between the radius, ulna, and carpal bones and able to support the body's weight -- something the palms cannot do.

Gundampilotspaz wrote:This is the fault of manga and I don't think really should be put agenists any n00bs who think it was fact. I for one believed manga's lies before people on this fourm set me stright. Though I never thought before EOE that they were a single being, and looking at it from all angles now it makes absolutely no sence, DAMN YOU MANGA!

Um... Manga is responsible for the giving the impression that Adam was born from Lilith, which isn't quite the same as suggesting that they were once a single uber-being that fissioned as a result of 1st Impact. The idea seems to have originated as a result of Adam and Lilith combining so harmoniously, and, temporarily, being portrayed as a dyad deity. Or something like that...

And I'm not following your logic... How are you advocating Misato's cross was important?

Ironfoot wrote:-The angels are after Lilith

Actually, I tend to think "who the hell are the Angels after?" is just one of those plot holes that can't be remedied no matter how many elaborate theories one tries to conjure. They are motivated by the plot. That is all we need to know.

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 13:49 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:38 pm

Reichu wrote:And I'm not following your logic... How are you advocating Misato's cross was important?

Rei:
No, everything has just been joined into one.
This is the world you have been hoping for... your world.

Shinji (releasing Misato's cross from his left hand):
But... this isn't right. I don't think this is right.

Misato's cross became his link to the real world and in that instance he knew that if he completely joined instermentality then Misato doesn't exsist, and her sacrafice was in vain. He wasn't completely instermentalisd (??) at that point because of the way the scene was set up. The were at the cross road, the point of no return. Rei closer to the moon, God and the union of all living things, and Shinji was closer to earth and the physical world. Shinji is at this cross road because of what he learned during the theater scene, and then this became the final desision.

But even after Shinji still had to go though more before he could leave.

Even after he made the desision in that scene

I feel that there were only hateful things there.

In Shinji's life he has only known loneiness and betrayal. Because of this reality seems harsh. The real world seems like its not worth living in.

So I'm sure it was okay to run away.

Because the real world was full of pain he believed that he could escape into dreams and fantasies. Into a world constructed for himself only, and thus was perfect.

But there was nothing good in the place I ran to, either.

After all, I didn't exist there... which is the same as no one existing.

The simple fact that Shinji has come to realize is that no matter what he does to escape in his dreams and fantasies, he really can't escape, he can't hide forever. Because the person in his dreams wasn't truely him, then the people and events that he would create were just as false.

As he is saying this, as this is coming over him and he is begining to break free and return he is holding the cross, that becomes his link to reality. And it really was Misato early in the series that brought him out of his fantasies and helped him to live life, make firends, ect. So it is proper that the cross would symbolize Shinji's connection with reality.

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 14:43 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:39 pm

"Passion of the Christ", NGE, and centuries of Christian art depict crucifiction inaccurately. The nails were driven into the wrist (and against the median nerve to achieve mucho pain) so that it was secured between the radius, ulna, and carpal bones and able to support the body's weight -- something the palms cannot do.

Ah, I see. I thought you were going to attempt to explain why Yui getting the lances through the hands was in no way an allusion to a cruci-fiction. I came this close to forever ignoring you.

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 22:37 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

It really makes you wonder about how specta/crapta-cular the ending might have been had the network not prompted SEGA to pull its funding.

Originally posted on: 21-Dec-2004, 21:25 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:39 pm

There was something posted here a while back concering the script the original ending. It had Shinji talking to an angel in one episode, angels coming from the moon and vaporizing America, and in the very end everything was resolved. Edit: Here it is,(last page) don't really know if it's what made SEGA pull the funding but personaly I'm glad they did.

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 00:30 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:39 pm

If memory serves, it was the whole "Eva getting too much for its target age group" that make Sega pull the funding. You know, all the blood, gore, sex, and drugs that started showing up in the second half. (Well, okay... No drugs, but they might have well have thrown some in, really.) That stuff is standard fare for anime, but apparently it was too much for something that played right after Ninja Turtles. Quiddity probably knows more about this than I; ask him.

The scenarios posted on that page are actually from a conceptual version of NGE. Gainax apparently made a pamphlet up (the pages of which are published, after heavy shrinkage, in Newtype 100% Collection), featuring the basic details of their proposed show, and shipped it around to attract sponsors. That many things changed afterward is just the result of creative evolution, not the sort of "desparate improvisation" that birthed EoTV.

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 01:16 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

The exact moment of objection was the mutilation of Eva-03. That killed the last two episodes.

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 05:05 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Which is odd, considering it really wasn't THAT bad. All of the really fun stuff (except the skull-bashing, anyhow) was off-screen.

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 06:02 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:39 pm

If you slow it down you can see the flying eye...

BTW Reichu did you see my post about the Film books?

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 20:03 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

And a flying jaw with a tongue attached to it.

Yes, I did. Image You da man.

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 13:09 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

I've seen that in anime before Eva's creation, never heard any controversy. At least they were able to tell that Eva's just might be a smidge different from robots(Ever see a robotic tongue?...hope not Image.) Eva just makes everything that probably couldn't exist look and feel real.

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 18:52 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:39 pm

Reichu wrote:And a flying jaw with a tongue attached to it.

Yes, I did. Image You da man.

Oh ok good Image

Originally posted on: 23-Dec-2004, 08:13 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

I've seen that in anime before Eva's creation, never heard any controversy.

Cite an example. You probably saw either a movie, an OVA, or something that aired later at night.

Come to think of it, wasn't Eva rescheduled due to content? Does anyone know at what point in the series this took place?

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 23:34 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Woah, you're right. Most titles I have seen that depicted similar violence etheir came out after Evangelion(after checking the dates) or were Ovas. I had no idea Usiho and Tora or Devil hunter Yoko(though it wasn't terribly violent) was an Ova. I guess it's harder to tell here because most anime is bought in stores.(I'm guessing Hellsing, which did its fair share of face ripping, came on quite late in Japan?)

Originally posted on: 23-Dec-2004, 00:03 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Yes, the current conditions under which we view can make things a little confusing. With regard to most of the titles I see mentioned, I'm clueless as to whether they are series...-es, OVAs, or movies. I'm tempted to prompt people to stop reffering to this stuff as "anime" and just call movies movies, shows shows, and OVAs... well, you get it.

Originally posted on: 23-Dec-2004, 00:14 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”