How I Came To Know Rei

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 pm

Reichu wrote:Why doesn't she live with Gendou or something? (Is he too busy doing nasty things with Ritsuko whenever Rei isn't around?)

Yeah, pretty much.

Reichu wrote:Well, the "14" bit isn't really true

Well, actually it is, but...

Reichu wrote:While she can't really leave, she could at least make the best of a bad situation. Well, unless Gendou explicitly told Rei, "Rei, you will live in a desolate apartment and have a miserable, empty life in which I will be your sole source of interpersonal warmth. Understood?" and she replied, in her typical manner, with "Hai".

It's more likely that she doesn't have a salary and NERV can't spare a lot of cash for her living conditions. Shinji and Asuka had Misato to pay their rent; Rei had nobody to do her such a favor.

Shin-seiki wrote:I've always thought that Rei, tho she didn't know the truth of who and what she was, was certainly haunted by a vague awareness that her very existence was unnatural, and that was part of why her behavior was so atypical for a girl of fourteen; human emotions and social interactions were alien to the core of her being...

Or maybe it's because she spent most of her life with the Ice King as her legal guardian and mentor, who cared for her physical but not emotional well-being. Occam's Razor and whatnot.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 04:15 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 pm

I guess Men in Black are always nearby to make sure she doesn't get gang-banged by thugs or something, but still...) Why doesn't she live with Gendou or something? (Is he too busy doing nasty things with Ritsuko whenever Rei isn't around?)

Ah geeze.... I just glanced over that line the first time I read it, but then I was thinking randomly today and my thoughts trayed to tv33's joke and then inevitably to that :bawling: :bawling:

... And I swear that line about Ritsuko was added in later on, unless I just blacked it out of my memory or something.

Anyway I don't think Gendou wants to have anyone live with him, even Rei. There are a plethora of reasons I supose, maybe Gendou fears it would move him emotionally somehow (not likely) or she's simply get in the way of the stuff that Gendou has to do, plus I'm sure Gendou's... well where does he live anyway? Whatever it is I'm sure it's full of secrets that he'd rather not be revealed.

As for Rei's room, the salary thing is a good point. But, if Nerv has money to pay Men In Black to stand around 24/7... (actually the very first time I saw Evangelion I thought Rei had lived in Nerv... don't they have any rooms? Actually it may have lasted a lot longer than just the first time I saw it.) I guess being raised by Gendou would make anyone desolate... I mean it's not like Shinji has posters up in his room or anything. I think Asuka's the only one that watches TV, and she's conveniently the one without the Gendou influence. Sure he's got his music, but his old teacher probably got him into that.

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 00:27 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 pm

tv33 wrote:Besides this is Gendo we are talking about.

Mistao: How can you have Rei live in such a place, it inhuman!

Gnedo: Whaaaa? It's got everything you could want! A bed, a floor, a ceiling. What else would you need?

Hey, that's more than he thinks Shinji's worth; he has to settle for just a floor!

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 01:53 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Hey, that's more than he thinks Shinji's worth; he has to settle for just a floor!

A-ha-ha, the almightly Sketch Void! Image Can I take this and make an avatar out of it? Image

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 03:19 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:... And I swear that line about Ritsuko was added in later on, unless I just blacked it out of my memory or something.

Honestly, I can't remember... I use the "edit post" function to an almost compulsive degree.

well where does he live anyway? Whatever it is I'm sure it's full of secrets that he'd rather not be revealed.

Maybe if he pushes a button on his desk, Gendou's office turns into an Austin Powers-style Shag-arific Suite (or what have you).

Ritsuko: Reporting to your office as ordered, Ikari-shirei.
Gendou: (presses button; strobe light comes on, 70's music starts playing, and a queen-sized revolving bed pops out of the floor) Yeah, baby, yeah! Shall we shag now or shall we shag later?
Ritsuko: (starts stripping) :sigh: Let's just get it over with...
Gendou: G-rooovy baby!

Sure he's got his music, but his old teacher probably got him into that.

You think?

Shinji's sensei: Hey, Shin-chan. Since you're starting to play the cello, maybe you ought to listen to some of those classical music CDs I have.
Shinji: Erm, okay... Whatever... I have no will of my own.
Sensei: Atta boy.
(Shinji looks through some of sensei's CDs)
Shinji: Let's see... Pachelbel, Beethoven, Bach, Handel, Verdi, and... Masami Okui? "Lilia"? Oh well, who am I to argue?

Uh-oh... I've started to deconstruct my own well-intended thread, this isn't good! Shin-seiki, we need you and that reply I've been slobbering in anticipation of! Image

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 03:25 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Incisivis wrote:A-ha-ha, the almightly Sketch Void! Image Can I take this and make an avatar out of it? Image

Help yourself; I think this one is better, myself...

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 03:32 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Doesn't that awfully look like the drawings wich came in St. Exuperi's "The little prince" (or whatever the english title is...)

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 13:35 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Help yourself; I think this one is better, myself...

Yes. Yes it is. Thank you. Image

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 17:10 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:36 pm

I swear one of these days I'll get around to reading the whole case uninterrupted. The first time I tried my Dad's friend came and wanted to download Moody Blues songs Image

This time I was going to read it all but I got to about the 2nd frame and had a thought. So now I have to ask a question, you'll probably think me a pervert for asking but - which breast does Shinji put his hand on in ep. 5? I noticed that when Rei III asked who she was, aparently that scene showed up, which coincides with my theory about Rei's defiance of Gendou = that when he put his hand through her breast it trigged the memory of the Shinji incident from Rei II's past, which in turn triggered rememberence of the other important events between Rei & Shinji and thus Rei realized that Gendou < Shinji. Of course that is far underdeveloped compared to this behemoth of analysis (that I WILL read sometime....) so it's probably got holes or something. If it is the same breast that is touched, that would strengthen my hypothesis, but if it isn't I supose it could still work, since Rei's never touched anyway, I guess it could still be the trigger.

BTW that site that I assume you made with the translation and everything is very cool, when I finally get around to analyzing Rei myself, I bet it'll be very useful. Image

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2004, 17:40 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 pm

I can't say I remember 100 percent, but if memory serves me right, I think that the, er, mammary gland in question during the "would you please get off?" incident was the left one, but Gendo fused his hand with her via her right one. That's just off the top of my head though...

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2004, 22:36 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 pm

Yeah, I don't know. I get all of my EoE information from music videos. I recall the Shinji happening as being a view from Rei's side, so it would have had to have been the left I supose. As for Gendou... I've seen conflicting things in videos. The one image I have looks like his hand is going actually in the center of Rei's chest, I remebmer in a video seeing something more distinct. Well regardless I think what I said could still work.

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2004, 00:50 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 pm

They were different breasts.

Originally posted on: 15-Mar-2004, 03:30 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 pm

:spam: This thread has gotten marvelously off-topic.

Originally posted on: 16-Mar-2004, 15:29 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote::spam: This thread has gotten marvelously off-topic.

I was talking about Rei!

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 08:12 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Or, at least, two of Rei's ever-popular constant companions. Image

Originally posted on: 16-Mar-2004, 21:07 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Or, at least, two of Rei's ever-popular constant companions. Image

Them too.... but I was talking about Rei, in a round about way... or atleast that's how I remember it.

Originally posted on: 16-Mar-2004, 22:32 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

In a "round about" way...that's too rich. Image

Originally posted on: 16-Mar-2004, 22:47 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 pm

First off -- my computer is finally up and running again! :does a little jig:

Second... If we're going to discuss Rei's mammaries, we might as well go all the way and throw a Shin-seiki slide presentation together! Heck, he managed to do one on Asuka... (I can dig up the link for this if Stuff Man is interested. Image)

BTW, HWPS, I'm assuming you finally DID read this thread? Come on, tell me how illuminating it was! Image

Originally posted on: 16-Mar-2004, 23:35 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:38 pm

Heh, indeed, I did read this thread, a few days back...holy crow, my head still hurts...some nice insight in there though, I actually referred to it in passing in my Kaworu thread (which, I'm sure, you're raring to dismantle, heh). As for the slide show, whatever that is, I'll pass. Image

Originally posted on: 16-Mar-2004, 23:46 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:38 pm

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:As for the slide show, whatever that is, I'll pass. Image

Wha? You no like boobies?! What kind of man are you? Image

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 00:18 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”