Reichu's Revelations: Rei, Kaworu, and Everything in Between

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:11 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Side-tracking a bit here, but considering that the Spear apparently can do things by itself, could this have any implications for the scene where one of the fake spears just flies out of nowhere and impales Ni's head? After all, it has been suggested before that instead of being thrown it was in a "homing missile mode", being controlled by someone.

Well, I remember in the Kyo/Yui thread Ornette suggested that Yui was the one who used ATF magic to impale Kyo from down in her bakelite "prison" (yeah, whatever Image ), but I thought it made oodles more sense if EVA-05 (the "Last One) used her own ATF Magic (since the harpies DO actually have it, amazingly enough!) in an attempt to backstab her aggressor. Since, you know, those harpies suck far too much to actually fight a REAL Eva in hand-to-hand combat. (No offense, Treize X, but they do. That's what happens when you're produced fast, cheap, and ... yeah.)

As for it getting her neatly through the head -- well, I guess it just sort of happened that way. They do seem to do a lot of things automatically, but the general trend seems to be that they need a "master" to get them going. The "homing" part seems to work, in a sense, in that you might be able to just throw it and, as long as you are somewhat accurate and it knows where it's supposed to be going, it will get the job done. Those FAR, they were obviously very bored when they made these things.

You know, throw them, be sort of accurate about it, and they'll do the rest. The whole thing about them having a will doesn't seem to fit, so I need to look into that and make sure it's not my Broken Japanese at work. The show itself seems to tell us that "obey their master". Need a single sharp point, e.g. for slaying Armisael or giving Yui big gaping holes in her palms? (Poor Keel clearly didn't do his research on crucifiction. lol n00b) Or will the default bident form suffice? Or what if you've become the Ultimate Being and you need it to become this Infinity Symbol-looking thing for reasons Reichu hasn't quite worked out yet? Just let the Spear know, and it'll take care of the rest!

The FAR were obviously very bored when they made these things. Too bad we don't get to see Adam's original and what it could do. Man, what I'd give to see Adam and Lilith's bitch fight in full animation with booming classical music in the background! Because, really, you can't have any other kind of music playing to something like that. "Dies Irae", maybe? Something with a chorus, anyway.

No, no, you're doing it wrong!

Lilith: "You found me beautiful once."
Adam: "Honey, you got real ugly."

Image Forgive me! I forgot!

That holds fairly scary implications for their relationship back on the HomeWorld. Well, I guess you can be a mom and a lesbian at the same time.

They still look a tad big to me... Also, if the Rei-clones were just pulled out of Lilith, where does Yui's genome enter the equation then?

Rei 1 was formed as an inadvertent product of the salvage operation (Yui Juice + Lilith's Soul --> Rei). After Baasan throttled her pale little neck, Gendo made his PWM-based Rei-tachi by "seeding" Lilith. (It might be kind of similar to how Armisael was attempting to recreate the Apostles out of EVA-00 in their adult, image-shifted forms. Just a thought, anyway.) Not going to say anymore, because I'm not entirely sure yet, but I think I at least have a fairly solid idea of what Ritsuko is "babbling" about during the Reiquarium sequence.

Mr. Tines wrote:And Adam was as flat as Eva.

Isn't it the other way around? (And there's someone else who's pretty flat, too, but people like that one even less than Adam being a chick. Sigh.)

Heh heh. I dunno, what part of "(H. sapiens) – (Mammalia) + (Cores, Etc.)" is difficult to grasp? (@ The Faithless, not you, of course.) Hell – most mammal females are "flat", unless they're lactating. We're the ones who are messed up. Image (You men have boobs too, like it or not.) The Animal Kingdom is a vast and wonderful place.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 22:36 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:11 pm

Reichu wrote:Those FAR, they were obviously very bored when they made these things.

Most likely it's made out of utility fog of some type.

Reichu wrote:Hell – most mammal females are "flat", unless they're lactating. We're the ones who are messed up.

And messed up by only having the second of the canonical 4 pairs of mammae.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 22:55 GMT

Z Metalla [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Z Metalla [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:11 pm

Really, what are breasts, but extensions of the pectoral muscle? Evas/Angels don't need breasts, really. They're prefectly fine with just having pecs. >>;

And yes, men have boobs. *flashes moobs* Image See?

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 22:57 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:11 pm

Z Metalla wrote:Really, what are breasts, but extensions of the pectoral muscle?

Actually, they are hypertrophied sweat glands. And in the typical mammal, are found over the abdomen as well as the lower rib cage.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 23:12 GMT

Z Metalla [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Z Metalla [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:11 pm

Ah... aha, right. How silly of me.

...waitasec... That means when we drink milk, it's actually really nutritious sweat! Image

Oh well. Image

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 00:55 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Getting off the subject of boobs and back on to the subject of Kaworu being a fruitcake...

I'm once again surprised that no one has yet spotted the most obvious flaw in my suggestion. You know, the one where I postulated that Rei and Kaworu were genderless? Well, here's the flaw:

"I think you'd make a good mother, Rei!"

Considering the up close and personal look that Shinji got in episode 05, either Rei has a vagina or Shinji doesn't know where babies come from.

I just like talking about Rei's vagina Image

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 04:47 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Shinji doesn't know where babies come from.

Considering that Gendo and Yui never exactly found the time to give him the "talk" I would count that as a distinct possibility. Image

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 05:23 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Well, that explains his confusion...

[img]http://www.evageeks.org/ANF-Archive/images/../images/KV8OLCU368LB656DHG9EF4LDT-shot spunk.jpg[/img]

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 06:30 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Oh dear. What has happened to this thread? This was a serious and thought-provoking thread once. Why? Why?

Since the Evas and Adam (and presumably Lilith, in her pre-LCL factory state -- same origin) are essentially "God" versions of the First Ancestral Race, it does make me wonder. Just what is the deal with those nucleolae (at least, the first two we get to see, not the ones that show up later to complete some lovely pudendal imagery)?

http://www.evageeks.org/episode-19/19_C309_big.jpg
http://www.evageeks.org/episod...0_C057C_big.jpg

Aside: Apparently there is a Holy Prepuce in NGE after all, and you're looking right at it. Image The question is: Where did it go? Hmm, I think that circumcising EVA-01's core was a critical part of Seele's plans, you know, being weird religious fanatics and all! </irony>

Right. Ignoring the fact that the nuclear region looks strangely... Entish(?) in #20, we have these nucleolae (chiisa na koukyuu) staring out at us both times, and they're there in EoE. In fact, they're there on EVA-01 from the first time we see her, still stuck to Mummy. For some reason, she's the only entity with a core who we KNOW has them. I sort of wonder if, like so many other gleefully ignored elements in NGE, there actually might be a reason for them after all. I mean, why just randomly plop these things onto EVA-01 and nobody else? Why, indeed.

Well, in my own little sandbox called BES, woman's intuition made me consider them a FAR analogue to mammary glands. It just felt like the natural conclusion to draw. And, I dunno -- enough of the stuff in there has been trickling over into NGE Reality, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that were the case. (I even concocted a logical in-series reason for why only Sho has them. Or visible ones, anyway...) And as for the other two that magically appear out of nowhere... :sploosh:

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 06:35 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Zerogouki has a core as well. It's visible in Episode 23.

*fluuuuuuuuuush*

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 20:08 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Reichu wrote:Rei 1 was formed as an inadvertent product of the salvage operation (Yui Juice + Lilith's Soul --> Rei).

Yup.

After Baasan throttled her pale little neck, Gendo made his PWM-based Rei-tachi by "seeding" Lilith. (It might be kind of similar to how Armisael was attempting to recreate the Apostles out of EVA-00 in their adult, image-shifted forms. Just a thought, anyway.)

But does that make any sense logistically? Wouldn't it have been much easier for the good people of the Unholy Bioengineering Department to chop off whatever Lilith-biomass they needed and then create the clones in proper lab conditions?

Originally posted on: 03-Feb-2006, 19:34 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:But does that make any sense logistically? Wouldn't it have been much easier for the good people of the Unholy Bioengineering Department to chop off whatever Lilith-biomass they needed and then create the clones in proper lab conditions?

Well, to paraphrase Misato, "We must accept that it happens and then figure out just how the hell!" If entities must be created from Lilith by leaving them attached to her until they're "ready for picking", maybe that explains why Gehirn let the situation with Shogouki get so totally gross. Image Everything in the show itself seems to support the concept of "Rei harvesting", so it should probably be considered a working hypothesis unless blatantly contradicted by something.

After all... to figure out NGE, you must play by NGE's rules.

Originally posted on: 04-Feb-2006, 08:11 GMT

Cesternino53 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cesternino53 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:12 pm

You know, it's funny. This is a series of such mind-boggling complexity, and while there is endless fun in debating the infinite number of unanswered questions, sometimes you just wish it would be laid out for you. The answer to everything, from Adam and Lilith, to Rei and Yui. Of course, in most of your cases, the happiness at finding the definite anwers would be fleeting, as the search would be over.

Personally, I lack the wisdom to participate too seriously in these discussions, but it's great watching Reichu and the rest of you talk about it. How long do you think this current group of NGE "geeks" will last before the torch is passed on though?

Sorry about getting off topic, but I read through the whole thread and you guys never cease to amaze me. Image

Originally posted on: 05-Feb-2006, 02:09 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Cesternino53 wrote:Personally, I lack the wisdom to participate too seriously in these discussions, but it's great watching Reichu and the rest of you talk about it. How long do you think this current group of NGE "geeks" will last before the torch is passed on though?

Well, some of us are involved with the NGE Commentary project, which will probably keep us busy for years to come...

Originally posted on: 05-Feb-2006, 02:13 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:13 pm

The "commentary" part comes and goes -- eh, it'll pick up again, sometime.

For my part, I'm not planning on letting my own flames of fandom die out any time soon. As long as there is time for fun, there is time for Anno-sama! Reichu has a purpose to fulfill!

Originally posted on: 05-Feb-2006, 18:08 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:13 pm

Reichu wrote:The "commentary" part comes and goes -- eh, it'll pick up again, sometime.

Letting people loose on at least the first part of ep#5 wouldn't be such a bad idea. I will have to dig out my waiting comments (carefully purged of anything vaguely representing ship or anti-ship Image)

Originally posted on: 05-Feb-2006, 18:18 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Well, remember not to take it too far in the other direction, either. Image

Eh, yeah, working on it... Been in suspended animation most of the weekend; my S^2 has officially burnt out and I need to take it easy before I spontaneously fall apart into bloody chunks. (My parents wouldn't enjoy cleaning that up.) Hoping to wake up tomorrow and begin my return to normal (i.e., neurologically sustainable) levels of geekery, and, of course, to pursue that Real Life stuff a bit more proactively again.

When FGC stuff happens, it will happen. I have the memory of an elephant and the attention span of a-- Eh, best not to complete that one.

For future generations: I think every single theory I threw in earlier about the Tree of Life was wrong. That said, what is right is still a matter under intensive, brain-bleeding investigation.

But later. :stumbles back into cryo-tube:

Originally posted on: 05-Feb-2006, 21:29 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:13 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, remember not to take it too far in the other direction, either. Image

No, ma'am. Hmm... Damned if I do, damned if I don't... So, damn it, I shall Image

Reichu wrote:Been in suspended animation most of the weekend

Ah, thus the silence - I had wondered, since I'd been fiddling with configuring SPF on my domain, and wondered if I'd managed to black-list myself.

Reichu wrote:I think every single theory I threw in earlier about the Tree of Life was wrong.

So figuring out 2I throws everything downstream for a loop. Not so surprising when stated like that. Awaiting with keen interest.

Originally posted on: 05-Feb-2006, 21:49 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:13 pm

There had better be some hawt cyborg action in this fanfic. We need more of that kind of thing. I am now becoming a fan of the idea of Keel/Kaworu/Rei.

Originally posted on: 05-Feb-2006, 21:50 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:Ah, thus the silence - I had wondered, since I'd been fiddling with configuring SPF on my domain, and wondered if I'd managed to black-list myself.

Nawwwwww. I just haven't had enough brain juice to sit here long enough to do a whole e-mail. Image

So figuring out 2I throws everything downstream for a loop. Not so surprising when stated like that. Awaiting with keen interest.

Or, rather, "continuing to NOT figure out 2I". :shakes fist at Anno: "You bastard! How can you do this to me!!!!" The more you know, the more you realize you DON'T know, heh heh heh. In any case, yes, that is all that I wanted to say on the matter. (In this particular venue. At the moment.)

And, no, Seele08. No fanfics, unless you're talking about BES, and there is not so much as a single piece of machinery in that. (Well, except for the scrap that Yui gleefully purifies herself of in bubbles of brown bliss. :pop!: )

Originally posted on: 05-Feb-2006, 23:22 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”