Shinji and Asuka

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:13 pm

OMF wrote:I really don't think this is the case. Notice that Shinji's SDAT does not skip a beat during this scene. While the explanation would resolve Asuka's seemingly inexplicable mood swing, it doesn't seem to fit very well.

I've already told you that I am off this subject. If you expect a substantiative response from me, you will be dissapointed. I do have a few comments that I could make, but I have no intention of gettin sucked back into this debate.

Originally posted on: 24-May-2005, 15:06 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Soluzar wrote:As you will see, if you scroll back a little while, Shin-Seiki and I both agree that these scenes are not meant to occur without a little off-screen time taking place between them. Hopefully at some point, he will post his evidence for this point so that it may be put to rest.

OMF wrote:I really don't think this is the case. Notice that Shinji's SDAT does not skip a beat during this scene. While the explanation would resolve Asuka's seemingly inexplicable mood swing, it doesn't seem to fit very well.

Uhh... OMF: When she points out to Shinji that they'll be all alone for the night she's just stepped out of the shower and is wearing only a towel. When she stalks into her room she's wearing her baggy sweatshirt. So she's had at least enough time to dry herself and get dressed. She must have felt that this was more than enough time to get some sort of reaction out of Shinji.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 00:50 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Nice one, Wayne. I'd have to do take a look at the screenshots to be entirely certain, but it seems obvious now that when Shin-Seiki said that he could produce some screenies to support this position, that must have been what he was referring to.

Is it just my imagination, or has he been conspicuously absent just of late? Is he quite alright?

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 02:09 GMT

Gandalf452 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gandalf452 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Allow me to jump in the middle of this thing here with a theory you guys may or may not have already brought up. Note the similarity of these 2 screenshots from the first page of this thread.

Shin-seiki wrote:Image

Kaji and Shinji are correlated at least in Asuka's mind.

From these I gather that Asuka IS attracted to Shinji. Perhaps she can see the kind of man he will become, or more likely she sees an element of danger within him, a dastardly daring guy who can pull out all the stops. I know this is unbelievable of Shinji, but keep in mind that at this point Asuka has seen what Shinji is capable of.

Another thing i'd like to point out is that Shinji is physically attracted to Asuka , while being emotionally attracted to Rei. But since he's intimidated by Asuka and scared of Rei, he never pursues either girl.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 02:17 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Soluzar wrote:Nice one, Wayne. I'd have to do take a look at the screenshots to be entirely certain, but it seems obvious now that when Shin-Seiki said that he could produce some screenies to support this position, that must have been what he was referring to.

Is it just my imagination, or has he been conspicuously absent just of late? Is he quite alright?

Ok. I've been debating that scene myself...here are the snaps I took...

Out of the shower...

Now's your chance to "do me!"

Scene cuts directly to this. Time passes??? There is no towel on her head as she grabs the futon. His seating position changes dramatically too.

You could have had these! They're REAL and they're SPECTACULAR!

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 02:39 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Thank you, Digitalex. I must say, I think that the point is now proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. While Shinji may have been listening to music on his SDAT, the music that we are hearing as BGM is not, in this scene at least, a direct and literal representation of that music. The fact that it does not 'skip a beat' is due to the fact that it was employed as BGM for the scene, and not as a representation of passing time.

When it is used as such, there are clear signposts that indicate this, such as the LCD display UP, and sometimes even the sounds of the tape rewinding, or similar things. I'm glad to have that one troublesome issue out of the way, even though I said I was out of this debate.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 02:50 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Gandalf452 wrote:Allow me to jump in the middle of this thing here with a theory you guys may or may not have already brought up. Note the similarity of these 2 screenshots from the first page of this thread.

Kaji and Shinji are correlated at least in Asuka's mind.

From these I gather that Asuka IS attracted to Shinji. Perhaps she can see the kind of man he will become, or more likely she sees an element of danger within him, a dastardly daring guy who can pull out all the stops. I know this is unbelievable of Shinji, but keep in mind that at this point Asuka has seen what Shinji is capable of.

I don't know about the correlation between Kaji and Shinji growing up to be like him though. I interpreted it simply as a scene where the males she desired appeared. In this case, Kaji was an obvious candidate but Shinji was unexpected. Subconsciously, she has feelings towards him, but not necessarily because he reminds her of Kaji.

Another thing i'd like to point out is that Shinji is physically attracted to Asuka , while being emotionally attracted to Rei. But since he's intimidated by Asuka and scared of Rei, he never pursues either girl.

I believe that Shinji is also physically attracted to Rei. There are several other scenes where he is looking at her physical attributes. It isn't as blatant as the way he looks at Asuka but I see physical attraction from Shinji nonetheless.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 02:54 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:13 pm

I think most boys would like to look at Rei's "assets". With Asuka, Shinji seems to be even more curious of the hot-headed one as opposed to the quiet, mysterous one(who he starts starts to think of more as a mother.)

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 02:59 GMT

Gandalf452 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gandalf452 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Remind me again, what was the conversation during this scene that u posted Digitalex?

In regard to Shinji being attracted to Rei, perhaps but only to the extent thats boy are subconsionly attracted to girls that resemble thier mother.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:16 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:14 pm

Soluzar wrote:Thank you, Digitalex. I must say, I think that the point is now proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. While Shinji may have been listening to music on his SDAT, the music that we are hearing as BGM is not, in this scene at least, a direct and literal representation of that music. The fact that it does not 'skip a beat' is due to the fact that it was employed as BGM for the scene, and not as a representation of passing time.

When it is used as such, there are clear signposts that indicate this, such as the LCD display UP, and sometimes even the sounds of the tape rewinding, or similar things. I'm glad to have that one troublesome issue out of the way, even though I said I was out of this debate.

Your very welcome. I was trying to figure this out myself as well. It's clear that time has passed...even if it were for just 1 minute.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:16 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:14 pm

Gandalf452 wrote:Remind me again, what was the conversation during this scene that u posted Digitalex?

Asuka said "We're alone tonight"

And Shinji didn't really respond so she got all pissed as if he didn't want her and went to the other room.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:21 GMT

Gandalf452 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gandalf452 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:14 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:Asuka said "We're alone tonight"

And Shinji didn't really respond so she got all pissed as if he didn't want her and went to the other room.

What did he say exactly?

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:23 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

You expect me to load up my DVD? Hell no, you do it.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:24 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:14 pm

Put in in yer HD (You're gonna say no, aren't you. Image)

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:26 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:14 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:You expect me to load up my DVD? Hell no, you do it.

LMAO!!!!

IIRC...

Shinji said that Misato would be back late.

She replied with, so we're alone tonight...

Shinji replied with...NOTHING....(what a !#@$#%! fool.)

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:27 GMT

Gandalf452 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gandalf452 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:14 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:You expect me to load up my DVD? Hell no, you do it.

LOL I guess it doesnt really matter. If we'll fast forward to later that night Shinji is about to kiss her but is put off in turn when she starts saying "mommy" in her sleep. So maybe Shinji is rejected by this, which is why he doesnt pursue Asuka?

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:28 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

No, he doesn't pursue Asuka because he's a damn fool/wuss/loser.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:32 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Gandalf452 wrote:LOL I guess it doesnt really matter. If we'll fast forward to later that night Shinji is about to kiss her but is put off in turn when she starts saying "mommy" in her sleep. So maybe Shinji is rejected by this, which is why he doesnt pursue Asuka?

He tries to pursue Asuka but each time he attempts some sort of conversation, she verbally beats him down. When she's ready for some attention, he's in his own world. They are just both out of sync most of the time.

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:32 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:15 pm

MagicianCamille wrote:No, he doesn't pursue Asuka because he's a damn fool/wuss/loser.

That's just less competition for us right?

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:33 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:15 pm

^2
Reminds me of "Both of you, Dance like you want to win!". Image

Originally posted on: 25-May-2005, 03:33 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”