Dr. Nick wrote:
And Reichu, it is part of your arduous task as an editor to make me look like a native English-speaking alpha-geek in the finished version. So feel free to edit my ramblings a lot.
P'shaw, I won't need to edit you THAT much. :P But, yes, a lot of editing will be going on; NO one will be spared my Revisory Wrath, least of all myself. That said, if anyone thinks any of my own comments are especially stupid, or whatever, please say so; there's a good chance I might second the idea to remove them.
- 001a: That "droplet hitting water's surface" -effect is used at least twice in EoE; I remember a thought being presented, that I might symbolize losing physical form (after all, Shinji went splat when Eva-01 awakened in ep.19). Let's see, yes, it is there just before the fugged-up playground-scene, and again just before the goodbye-scene. There might be more, I just did a very quick check.
Right after the harpies' Mass Orgy Of Death, as well. The "droplet" thing is probably something that shouldn't be analyzed TOO much in the OP; we can save some comments for later on, when the series starts getting psychedelic and Anno starts using the motif A LOT. Shin-seiki has some interesting ideas about the droplet/various other watery imagery, as well, that we exchanged via PM, which should certainly be shared at the appropriate time.
Usage of quality external sources like like The Legends of the Jews = gooood. Quoting sources like that gives this commentary a needed fake-academic taste. :P
Heh heh, I agree. My policy goes as follows: "Factual" stuff will only be included in the final commentary if we can actually locate quality references to support them. Otherwise, we'd be just as bad as the n00bs who proliferate stuff like the "barons of hell". Obviously, this means some of us need to spend some time in the libraries (using non-Internet sources adds to the aforementioned "fake-academic taste"
), and considering how much stuff I need to do for this project, hopefully I won't be the only one going into Bookworm Mode.
- BTW, is there any kind of histrorical or mythological connection between the Tree of Life and Sepirothic System - if nothing else, they kinda look the same. I remember reading a thread about this issue ages ago somewhere, but I have no recollection whatsoever what was actually said in it...
Any volunteers for library research? Anyone?
"Water" might represent something larger here - soup of life, maybe?
And considering there's LCL in the Evas' cores (though there's some debate about exactly how it got there), this sounds about right.
- 004c: If Giant Nude Rei is mentioned here, shouldn't we also introduce our beloved abbreviation GNR?
Heh heh, will do.
- Speaking of Sepirothic System, I've read a certain theory, whose author believed that each of the system's ten circles (or whatever they're called) represents one of the series' main characters and his / her psychological characteristics (or something like that). I personally think that's over-interpreting it, but we might want to mention it here anyways. I'm currently unable to find the link to the site in question, can anybody help me here?
That probably would
be a good site to reference...
Oh, don't worry, we will...
Though I think we should probably save the "What does phallic mean?" quote for when one of us actually uses "phallic" in the commentary instead of having it come out of nowhere.
- 007: Eh, let's try to be natural with our jokes, shall we? When the moment is right, they will come spontaneously, without any forced effort.
Good point. :delete:
- 011: No need to be careful with those spoilers, this is not for n00bs. Of course, mentioning Yui is not at all necessary yet, I just pointed out our guideline (we did agree on it, did we?).
I figure I'd spare the "Yui-sama!!!" comments until episode #16 at least, since that's when it starts becoming obvious that Yui's in EVA-01. Spoilers are fine, sure, but I wouldn't want to confuse the poor n00bs who might read this and wonder why the he11 I'm calling EVA-01 "Yui". After all, there are
some poor suckers who see the entire series and someone DON'T make the connection, so we'll make the connection for them when the time is right.
"Aside from the fact that, in some traditions, they are associated with Lilith." Following that piece of information, maybe a some kind of warning how it is possible to interpret crap too deeply?
lol Most certainly.
- 029: This isn't really commentary-related, but Reichu, notice how all these text captions are written with capital letters. I'm just pointing this out, because you at least at some point considered "EVA-01" a more correct way of writing it than "Eva-01", because it is written that way in the OP.
That's right! So, everybody, make sure you always write ANGELS and TOKYO-3. If you're not shouting, it's not accurate! But point taken, Dr. Nick. Write "Eva-01" if you so desire. Although we probably should agree on one or another for the commentary...
- 035: Some tidbits about the Nerv HQ, anyone?
Uhhh... how about you, 'ki?
- 036: I might be wrong here, but didn't Adam and Eve try to cover their private parts with fig leafs, when they had eaten the Fruit of Knowledge and they found themselves to be naked?
Yeah, something like that. Someone needs to look that one up, too. I'm rather curious about specifically why a fig leaf is used in NERV's logo -- and only half of one, at that.Originally posted on: 27-Apr-2004, 22:49 GMT