The Wiki Thread (General)

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:33 pm

To begin with, invites seem like a good idea. We can get a sizable pool of quality users to get the Wiki off its feet by this method.

A big point I want to make is that *a wiki can be really well run and be a “thriving” wiki…with 10-20 people. I have seen wikis with only 5 or so “regulars” become the definitive source of info on a given subject. Some wikis got ruined because they basically let “anyone” on, but I’d actually advocate turning people away from EvaWiki or making it REALLY selective to get in, in order to keep it *accurate* (sigh) sorry, it’s just that a “community” is what the forums are for; wikis are about “accuracy” and such….:)

“Check out the usergroups link at the top of the forum page

Reichu, OMF, Ornette, Ryousanki King

But I suspect you're wondering why this site isn't on The Eva Monkey. As it turns out, the commentary was hosted on theevamonkey.com for a while, but had to relocate after it began consuming far too much bandwidth. At that time, there was no real plan for a wiki, and in any case, at the time, The Eva Monkey was very against the idea of one. Since we've decided on the commentary being hosted on Mediawiki, and tied to a full blown Evangelion wiki, and since the commentary has its own dedicated site, I don't think moving back, or amalgamating with theevamonkey.com is feasible.

I really hope you cross-promote/integrate with EvaMonkeyForum so that instead of two possibly competing sites, we get one super-site that wipes out all competition. 

Reichu is firmly at the top, not lastly because she is paying for the site!

Excellent I was confused on this matter (and I still am on the level of collaboration between Reichu and EvaMonkey)one of the best thing is……the “wikiholics”, the wiki-addicts who are just totally withdrawn weirdos….well, a lot of other people have pointed this out not just me; these guys tend to be well, guys. Typical “Comic Book Guy” stereotype, you know? So at first I just assumed “Reichu, the person in charge of the EvaCommentary…” was probably some wacky Comic Book Guy no one would like…haha…(of course, I kind of had the Neo-meeting-Trinity reaction when I saw who Reichu actually was, in my post in this thread… http://www.evamonkey.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=75177#75177
So I’m actually thrilled that Reichu is the one “in charge” of the commentary and the Wiki (I like that about anime fandom, to which I am relatively knew; a heck of a lot more even gender balance; that is, I’m grateful it’s not a legion of 50 year old Comic Book Guys building model kits of TOS Enterprise….been down that road TOO many times…)

Minionisters are next in line when it come to their specific sectors of the site.

Okay, just for the record, who are all of the Minionisters and what are their respective domains?
Council members are next, but Minionisters are essentially council members when it comes to matters outside their sections. (Council members were originally supposed to have jobs of some decription, but it's looking like many will have only "advisory/board" roles for the time being.)

And who are all of them again?

Cool.

I’m off to work…

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:27 pm

V wrote:A big point I want to make is that *a wiki can be really well run and be a “thriving” wiki…with 10-20 people. I have seen wikis with only 5 or so “regulars” become the definitive source of info on a given subject. Some wikis got ruined because they basically let “anyone” on, but I’d actually advocate turning people away from EvaWiki or making it REALLY selective to get in, in order to keep it *accurate* (sigh) sorry, it’s just that a “community” is what the forums are for; wikis are about “accuracy” and such….:)

Hmmmm.. interesting. Your thoughts are certainly closer to Reichu's on this matter, and a smaller group of editors would make the whole project more manageable. It does sound like a better idea for us to issue perhaps, private invitations, or be selective, rather than issue general summons. In light of this, I'm in favour of deferring to your experience in these matters, though we still have the problem of editor selection. I think Reichu will be glad to hear your opinion, and she would be best equipped to suggest members.

V wrote:Reichu, OMF, Ornette, Ryousanki King
Et al, surely? You should be able to see more names on the list. But, all things considered, I think it's about time the other council members sounded off and let the rest of us know they're still here.

V wrote:I really hope you cross-promote/integrate with EvaMonkeyForum so that instead of two possibly competing sites, we get one super-site that wipes out all competition. 

I seriously doubt we will be in any kind of competition whatsoever with theevamonkey, except insofar as he has recently been looking to start a wiki. I think if we get a more solid version out the door, the The Eva Monkey will probably not bother. To be honest, I think the main impetus behind his decision to look into this was the simple dearth of Evangelion Wikis. Nonetheless, it may be a good idea to mirror or archive the wiki at the Evamonkey in the event anything untoward happens to this site. But this is a matter for the distant future.

V wrote:So I’m actually thrilled that Reichu is the one “in charge” of the commentary and the Wiki (I like that about anime fandom, to which I am relatively knew; a heck of a lot more even gender balance; that is, I’m grateful it’s not a legion of 50 year old Comic Book Guys building model kits of TOS Enterprise….been down that road TOO many times…)

The commentary, and everything surrounding it, is firmly Reichu's project. She was the one conceived it, and has been nurturing (and neglecting) it on and off over the last 3 or 4 years. It will probably be her Magnum Opus as far as work on Evangelion is concerned. I'm hoping we can live up to her vision. The Commentary is definitely this sites main objective, but of course, the wiki will be an integral part of our overall plan. By the way, have you gotten around to reading the Commentary yet?

Reichu is really the only one who can manage this project. Of all of use, she is indeed the one most deeply absorbed in Evangelion. Her posts span some five years of forum discussion to my reckoning. There are other experts amid the council, some whose knowladge is perhaps even more indepth, but I don't think anyone else has Reichu's zeal for the project (cramped as it is by her procrastinitus)

V wrote:Okay, just for the record, who are all of the Minionisters and what are their respective domains?

As of right now, you are the only Minionister, and your domain is the Wiki. But NOT the FGC namespace of the wiki. That's for the commentary and its Minionister. Theres a summary of the proposed Minionistires on this wiki page. More, or less, positions could be proposed as time goes by. Minionistries are a recent proposal.

V wrote:And who are all of them again?

Committee member in usergroups, but just to list them here in no particular order.

Reichu
Dr. Nick
Mr. Tines
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Ornette
Ryousanki King
Shin-seiki
thewayneiac
V

You should be in the committee usergroup, but haven't been added yet. I think that's everyone.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:23 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
V wrote:And who are all of them again?

Committee member in usergroups, but just to list them here in no particular order.

Reichu
Dr. Nick
Mr. Tines
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Ornette
Ryousanki King
Shin-seiki
thewayneiac
V

You should be in the committee usergroup, but haven't been added yet. I think that's everyone.

Added. Also, the Committee was a hidden usergroup (created by Reichu) and that's why you weren't able to see them.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:10 pm

Hmmmm.. interesting. Your thoughts are certainly closer to Reichu's on this matter, and a smaller group of editors would make the whole project more manageable. It does sound like a better idea for us to issue perhaps, private invitations, or be selective, rather than issue general summons. In light of this, I'm in favour of deferring to your experience in these matters, though we still have the problem of editor selection. I think Reichu will be glad to hear your opinion, and she would be best equipped to suggest members.

Nothing big, it's just that "don't be afraid to turn people away", etc. I've seen wikis where like a bunch of kids in a treehouse, everyone got so obsessed with making rules of procedure and such between the editors that they get nothing done with the actual content itself.

And back to work I go....
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:27 pm

I've added an "Eva Sorties" field to the episodes template. See it in action here. This field is optional, so you don't have to include it in the episode template call. The field will only be displayed if you include it, so there's no need to put in "none" or the like. You can see it "not working" on the other episode pages.

We really should have a template thread, where people can discuss the templates and what they need or don't need, and also request new ones.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:56 pm

requesting new ones will be on the wiki itself once things get fired up
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:27 am

Just thought I'd pop in and make my presence known. This entire thing is a bit intimidating (Rules, guidelines, buttload of information, BAAAAH!). I feel more comfortable being a mere foot soldier at the beck and whim of the great masters on here (am I on the exclusive list yet?). I've never created, edited, or done anything but read a Wiki article so let it be known that I will likely suck at it. I also don't proclaim to be an expert in any area regarding NGE.

The only request (or rather, meek suggestion) I might have is that I'm rather knowledgeable regarding much of the controversy and negative opinions surrounding the series. It might be handy to have a page (or two) solely devoted to many of the "controversies" surrounding the more external elements of the series. IOW, ideas like "Shinji is a crybaby and wuss and needs to be shot" or "Anno was just making it up as he went along". I think many of the negative opinions should be presented and addressed for balance.

All in all I think I could be most helpful regarding the more external aspects of the series - IOW, everything NOT related to the science fiction narrative as most others' knowledge in these areas far eclipse my own. In closing I throw myself on the mercy of the true NGE Fan-geeks: "I am not worthy your holinesses." :)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:57 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I've never created, edited, or done anything but read a Wiki article so let it be known that I will likely suck at it.

You're in good company. Most of the people working on this have no idea what they're doing.

I also don't proclaim to be an expert in any area regarding NGE.

Who is?

The only request (or rather, meek suggestion) I might have is that I'm rather knowledgeable regarding much of the controversy and negative opinions surrounding the series. <snip>

At this basic stage, it's hard to say exactly what the scope of the Wiki will be. I do know that there will be a place for "essays". Most of these will be forum posts adapted for Wiki archival purposes (see e.g. what Wigs did with his own posts), but stuff written from scratch is fine too (provided the "editorial board" likes it). I hope that made some modicum of sense.

Most immediately, the skeleton of the Wiki needs fleshing out.

Hopefully, tasks will start being doled out soon... :cups hands around mouth: Oh V~~~~!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:11 pm

Reichu wrote:You're in good company. Most of the people working on this have no idea what they're doing.
That makes my ineptness more comforting.

Reichu wrote:Who is?
Zugzwang of course! ;) I still feel like an amateur compared to some of the vets around here who've been toiling in the underbelly of Eva for years opposed to my piddly months.

Reichu wrote:I hope that made some modicum of sense.
Sure. I get the sense this whole project is still in its formative stages working to get off the ground. But when you get a lot of people working towards a common goal some interesting (usually productive) things tend to happen.

Reichu wrote:Hopefully, tasks will start being doled out soon... :cups hands around mouth: Oh V~~~~!
I stand at the ready, willing to sacrifice my life (only time-wise... hopefully) for the 'cause!
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Do our three new arrivals (KnT, Jimbo, BobBQ) have editing privileges yet? Looking around at the Wiki, there is certainly no shortage of things to be done! Let's get a dialogue going!

Jimbo wrote:I still feel like an amateur compared to some of the vets around here who've been toiling in the underbelly of Eva for years opposed to my piddly months.

Well, I wouldn't have picked you if I didn't think you could handle it, so... GET OVER YOURSELF! ;)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:03 pm

Reichu wrote:Do our three new arrivals (KnT, Jimbo, BobBQ) have editing privileges yet?
It appears I was just sent mine. So yay! I'm like officially enlisted now!

:bigeyes:

Reichu wrote:Well, I wouldn't have picked you if I didn't think you could handle it, so... GET OVER YOURSELF! ;)
Weren't you supposed to add "Soldier" to the end of that? It's just not as convincing if you don't throw in some Louis Gossett Jr.-esque insult either. :unsure:

We may have to pick this up tomorrow as I'll likely be busy for the rest of the night. Hopefully we can get the other new recruits ready before tomorrow and then start the dialoguing and task distributing...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:07 pm

Hopefully, tasks will start being doled out soon... :cups hands around mouth: Oh V~~~~!

Step 1 - Finish episode guide (I already finished the character guide and wrote most of the Angel guide)

Step 2 - Create a Main Page

Step 3 - venture onto a mountain, where I will fast for forty days, and forty nights, and then descend with the Standards and Conventions of EvaWiki carved onto two stone tablets.

Step 4 - All's right with the world.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:09 pm

V wrote:

Step 4 - All's right with the world.
Holy crap! The completion of EvaWiki's going to initiate 3I / Instrumentality? I want out!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:21 pm

V wrote:Step 1 - Finish episode guide (I already finished the character guide and wrote most of the Angel guide)

Is the aim to establish a foundation, however messy, and then start doing major clean-up work? A lot of Wiki expansion would happen organically just as a result of cleaning up and relocating content from those base pages. (And when the Geektionary gets ported over and undergoes a heavy makeover -- phew, the editors will be busy.)

What happens after Step 4?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:46 pm

...you wanted me to lay out a whole plan?

er.....these are "suggestions" as "EvaCommentary (and the EvaWiki which is a part of EC" is owned and run, body and soul, by Grand Mistress Reichu"

I'm just the Black Knight which has rode up in the middle of the night offering a Faustian Pact to get the wiki operational (please allow me to introduce myself; Just as every cop is a criminal/And all the sinners saints/As heads is tails.... :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

er....I'll start a new thread on this.

But the basic idea is:

Evangelion fandom is dying. No one of course notices this, as it has a long way to go. And when it Falls, it will usher in a 30,000 year period of anarchy and no Eva. Now, we cannot stop this Fall, but we can shorten the Interregnum, from 30,000 years to a mere thousand. Thus, we will establish a "Encyclopedia" containing all Eva information. That way, knowledge about Eva can survive the Fall, and ultimately, aid in rebuilding human civilization. (...Asimov shout out).... :)

er....I'll start a new thread on this.....
Who is "Codename V"?....

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:10 pm

I do not think that much of the Geektionary can be uploaded into the Wiki on a point by point basis. I think that's more an FGC thing.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:22 pm

V wrote:I do not think that much of the Geektionary can be uploaded into the Wiki on a point by point basis. I think that's more an FGC thing.

The Geektionary will probably fall under the "FGC umbrella", whatever exactly that means, in terms of tone and such, but it will still be a collection of memes and other "random shit". I do need somebody to "port" the document over to Wiki-Format (tho images can be put on the side right now) -- much needs to be done with it. Yes, this is a request! NO, A MANDATE! GWAR!

In terms of a "plan"... Well, you said you'd start a new thread, so...

(BTW, your BBCode tags are not feeling happy.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:57 pm

Important question, guys and girls: when a Wiki article draws from official sources other than the series itself, shouldn't we, like, mention those sources at the bottom of a page? For example, since I've already forgotten a lot of stuff, I've been wondering where the info in the "The Post-Second Impact world" category comes from.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:It might be handy to have a page (or two) solely devoted to many of the "controversies" surrounding the more external elements of the series. IOW, ideas like "Shinji is a crybaby and wuss and needs to be shot"

Calling that first example a controversy is giving it a whole lot of credit. What type of characters people like is simply a matter of personal opinion. And considering Shinji's behavior will be analyzed in painstaking detail in case-by-case basis in the Commentary, a separate essay about it seems even more unneeded.

That other example of yours, "Anno was just making it up as he went along", on the other hand, feels like a perfectly valid topic for an extended analysis.

V wrote:Evangelion fandom is dying.

All fandoms are.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Important question, guys and girls: when a Wiki article draws from official sources other than the series itself, shouldn't we, like, mention those sources at the bottom of a page?

Yes, SAUCE is very important. "Citation needed" is going to be plastered all over the frellin' place. The way Wikipedia handles citations is good enough for me.

There are other, less straightforward citations we'll have to tackle sooner or later...

V wrote:Evangelion fandom is dying.

All fandoms are.

Fandoms are dying, I'm dying, you're dying, my cat is dying, the Earth is dying, the whole bloody universe is dying... </emo>
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:03 am

Dr. Nick wrote:
Calling that first example a controversy is giving it a whole lot of credit. What type of characters people like is simply a matter of personal opinion. And considering Shinji's behavior will be analyzed in painstaking detail in case-by-case basis in the Commentary, a separate essay about it seems even more unneeded.

No offense to the wonderful commentary, but I don't think anyone besides big fans are going to read through it. Casual fans want information fast and thick. Shinji's characterization is among the biggest reason for the series' controversy. Considering almost all anime up until that point was composed of heroes who were very typical heroes, NGE definitely broke the mold when it created those that were as far away from that mold as possible. And even today perhaps THE most common complaint about the series lies in Shinji's character - and these complaints come more out of ignorance (about what characters should be) than anything.

I've used this example before, but most people "complaining" about Shinji being how he is is as pointless as "complaining" that characters like Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull is how he is: Take away the character defects and the reason for the film's/series' being ceases to exist.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”